RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• Nice target there Ant & congrats on the place

Barry - don't expect a XT for Xmas image As your OH i'm proud of you coming back with a speedy vengeance - i'll give training with you a miss though image

Brolish I'm sure you will do well Sunday

Simon That's a brilliant idea about Morrison's.

Ran 4 miles yesterday lunchtime up a nice steep hill & a relief to come back down again, a bonus that I knocked a minute off my time.

Rest day today & looking at an early morning swim session for Thursday as I will be in my hometown for a works meeting/xmas dinner.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Daren- you owe it to yourself to run that marathon with a 20 of that quality. 

Bro- I expected nothing less from you- flat out is the only way

free- impressive intervals

Pink-good ideas adding hills to the mix. Keep doing them ,you'll see the benefits in time

Simon- there seems to be all sorts of debate about adding 0.5-2% incline to the TM but no one agrees. Just do what feels fright though I think  fwiw varying the pace and incline avoids repeatedly impacting the same places in the legs and feet which is nota good idea. Pity I ignored my advice

did 10.25 hilly run this pm av 7.43mm. 30 secs per mile faster and felt much easier than a similar one two weeks ago . Really enjoying running again image No run tomorrow ..more Xmas cheer image

• Daren - don't waste it....!!!!!

2old - nice run. Decent ave pace. 

Simon - I use 1%. Don't know why!

bro - you gotta do a pb if the course is right. Fingers crossed. 

• Hello guys

Now that the competition is over, apart from pulling back some lost sleep, Im looking forward to continuing to follow the sub 3:30 thread, and concentrate fully on my training.

That was one very long week !

• Simon, I've heard 1% gradient is meant to replicate running on the road more accurately, as it makes up for the lack of air resistance.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Marcus - hard luck today. It was so exciting in the end! I had to support Malcs because he was so supportive of my mentoring thread last year and because I really wanted him to get it but you, Kirsty and superman were all great candidates too. It was a shame there could only be one winner.  However, none of you need a competition to get your goals - put the work in and you'll be a winner on marathon day. image

• Hey Minni, Malc's was clearly the forum favorite and is an alright bloke too. image 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Oh and I've been training! 5 yesterday and 8 today with hill reps. 10 planned for tomorrow. I can smell marathon training! 

• Anyway forgetting Paris for the time being (although the other half is hinting for me to enter anyway, for the weekend away of course) and looking a bit closer to home, does anyone have any opinions on the Manchester Marathon ?

I understand its a flat course so could be good for a first timer ?

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Marcus- sorry you missed out but it may be for the best. Do you really need the added pressure of doing your first marathon under the spotlight? Don't forget to train your gut for the French food too.image

Minni- training? Thought you had been slacking ....smell..? Time to wash that kitimage 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I agree with the spotlight. 

Gels - I always use SIS partly because you don't need to take them with water. I recently got some Power Bar ones I'm a goody bag and I see you have to take them with 400ml water. That's a lot!  what happens if you don't take that much water?  Anyone used them? 

Thinking ahead to next year'a forum outing. I've pre registered for York and after watching it on Sky Sports 3 tonight I'm very pleased I did. It looks like a cracking event. Anyone else fancy it? Pre registration is still open. 

• Hi all, hope you are all well. I am looking forward to learning bucket loads from you all to achieve my goal of sub 3,30 next year. My first question is tho which training schedule to follow?? There are so many. RW plan, Asics Plan even Lucozade have a plan. Is  there a holy grail one I should be following or is it a bit like betamax of vhs, pick your choice? 

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    What plan did you use for your last one?

What are your PBs?

What worked well / what didn't on your last one?

I don't really follow any specific plan anymore. I just tweak things from my last one and pick up as much info as I can from what other people do and what may work for them.
  • Tim, message me your email and I'll send you one from Greg McMillan (creator of the appropriately named running calculator) I guarantee it will get you under 3:30 image

• I used  the basic sub 4hr Runners World one. 

20.42 5k 41.47 10k & 1.35 HM 

My weakness appears to be trying to nail every LSR run too quickly, I think. 

• Thanks Millsy1977 

Clive Unable to message you ?? Unless I am being a plank...

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I failed at my first 3.30 attempt by trying to mail all my long runs. I slowed them down to 9-10 min miles and I smashed it.

Your shorter distances show you have enough speed.

Working on your endurance would be the key. Try to get at least 5 20 milers in as well.
  • Is it worth doing more than 20 milers Millsy1977  say a few 22 or 23 milers? 

• Any chance I can have a copy of that schedule Clive please ?

I currently only have the RW Marathon Book schedule to go by so it would be good to have something to compare with.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Probably one or two. I just meant that 5 of your long runs should be 20+ miles.

I wouldn't go over 23.
  • Malcs - Yes Manchester is supposed to be the flattest mara in the uk now. I did it a few years ago when it wasn't, and the weather was crap. It's 3wks earlier for 2014, on 6Apr. I'll give you my nbr when I get it, so you can have a coffee and my bag ready for when I finishimage.

Minni - I use SIS gels for that exact reason.

So 1% is the general consensus on the TM.

Welcome new forumites.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Millsy - never seen you on here before and you've taken over! image

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Sorry, have been following superman runs thread over the last few days and saw a few similarities with where I was once so thought if chuck in a couple of things that worked for me.

I'll be off then.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Stick around Millsy but tell us a bit about yourself.

Most on here cracked 3:30 and are now heading to 3:15 and beyond.  We all follow different approaches, unless it comes to drinking and partying then we all follow roughly the same schedule! image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Btw I'm about to climb back on the wagon. Just one more sesh to go. 

• Morning

been a bit busy so not been online. Monday was turbo trainer. Tuesday morning swim. Tuesday evening was run club. Some out and back rep type thingys.

• Marcus - bad luck with the competition...but hopefully you'll stick around here. I expect Malcs' thread will be great to follow too image

Minni - I think Millsy might be a sub-3 marathonerimage

Yorkshire marathon - I pre-registered a few weeks ago as well....haven't decided on an autumn marathon really but it doesn't cost anything to get on the list so I have a few weeks to decide before the entries open. I was thinking too about Abingdon but the date of Yorkshire works better....I'll be in Northumberland over the weekends 4 and 3 weeks out, so perfect for those last couple of long runs....anyway I think the entries open on 3 Jan image
  • Minni: what distance is  York?  [I mean the race, not how far to get there!!]

Rest day from running yesterday, just cycling and house de-cluttering - bit alarmed at how many pairs of old trainers are lurking round our place, mostly 'mature' enough to make a bid for freedom if I leave the doors open.  Might put a potential buyer off I suppose image

• Millsy1977    Thanks,  grateful for the tips image  

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Marathon O4S! image