RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

freemers - can you not come up a week earlier and fit the GNR in? 

Millsy - any sub 3 tips?

• Minni: I thought you were going to do Rotherham [which will probably be the week after York].  Personally can't see a problem with 50 miles the week after a marathon, but you might want to think about going round with someone slow like me rather than Pam image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Oh yes RR.  I forgot (again!)  Yes, that sounds like a plan!

• Minni - no, the dates don't work for the GNR unfortunately....one of these years we'll time our holiday properly for that but for some reason we are always a little late even though they move the date of GNR around a bit! Doing the marathon and then the RR the week after sounds like hell on earth to me, but then I am a bit of a wimpimage

Today will be 5 or 6 easy for me. Nothing tomorrow and then somehow need to find time for 18 on Friday if I am going to meet the challenge of CD Junior at the Banstead Woods YKW on Saturday morning. And by "challenge" I mean coming in within 2 minutes of him (he ran sub 20 again last weekend, and it's not a fast course) image
  • Minni - I think you've scared Millsy off.  Marathon followed by an ultra, is that the start of your comrades training?

Freemers - Surely a bit of bribery involving xmas presents will get CD junior to pace you to a PB.image Nice intervals from you.

2Old - No VLM for me next year, embarrassingly missed out on GFA by 9 seconds, the only person I'll be running a spring marathon with, if I can keep up with her, is Carrot.  Nice 10 Miler.

Daren - That is a very good long run.  A lot of runners use that run to test their marathon pace, how hard  was  the second 10 miles? I admire your patience not attempting a mara, but if and when you run one you are looking at a very good time.

Marcus - Unlucky with the comp, anyway who wants loads of free Asics gear and free VIP entry to Paris marathon with coaching  when you can all the advice we have to offer.image 

7 slow for me this morning, nice conditions to run in.

• Hi Marcus and SupermanR- like the others said stick around. You don't need the comp to do well and sometimes it's good not to have the extra pressure.

Minni- I've registered for York since I've been told it's the only acceptable qualifier for the Comrades...image

Millsy- don't be scared off we need sub 3h tips!

Very foggy out there today. A few miles with some shorter bursts planned for lunch time and then it's all easy until Sunday.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I`m still here, just having a busy day at work

Any Sub 3 tips? yes lots that have worked for me. (doesn`t mean it will work for everyone)

Plenty of 18-23 mile runs - I think I did about 10 during my 16 weeks build up to VLM - running these without gels/ sports drinks etc.

Run the majority of long runs slow (8.30 to 9.00 m/m) but in the others mix it up a bit. Eg 18 slow and last 3 at MP. 5 miles slow 10 miles race (flat out) 3 miles slow. Half Marathon race (ran at MP) and then 13 miles slow.

Introduced a mid week long run varying between 10-13 miles

Do a parkrun every 2 weeks to judge any progress and it also makes MP seem that little bit easier.

I had to up my training from 5 days (40miles a week to 6 days 50+ miles a week)

I only just scraped sub3 though and when I go for it again I will focus on doing a couple more long runs at marathon pace as I felt i was lacking a bit of speed endurance. The last 6 miles were harder than in any race I have ever done.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

That doesn't sound very much different from what I do. Sub 3 it is then! image

• Lots of new faces on here suddenly. Welcome all! Be careful though, Minni doesn't like outsidersimage

Barry, the 2nd 10 felt ok on the whole, certainly more comfortable than I would have expected that pace to feel, and only started feeling really tough on the last few miles. Not sure I could've carried on for another 6.2 although I wasn't slowing and I ran it without any fuel too, so with a gel or two I might have been able to I suppose.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Minni wrote (see)

That doesn't sound very much different from what I do. Sub 3 it is then! image

As I said in my post, that was what worked for me.  have a friend who trains completely differently from me and our PBs are within a minute of each other.

• Daren - that's a brilliant long run.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Barry - yes.  York will be the qualifier and so I won't be too bothered about the time (she says now...)

SupermanRuns wrote (see)

Hi all, hope you are all well. I am looking forward to learning bucket loads from you all to achieve my goal of sub 3,30 next year. My first question is tho which training schedule to follow?? There are so many. RW plan, Asics Plan even Lucozade have a plan. Is  there a holy grail one I should be following or is it a bit like betamax of vhs, pick your choice? 

There's those who say it doesn't matter which schedule you follow so long as you follow the one you've chosen.  The first time I broke 3:30 I used the P&D one (and a few others on here follow it now).  It was the first time I had followed a schudule to the letter and it did work after getting close so many times. 

• Hello everyone. Apologies for not being on for a while, have had all sorts going on that I won't bore you all with.

Looks like everyone is starting with spring training and it's going well which is good to see. And also a few newcomers to freshen up the place!

Haven't read the whole way back, but can't not comment on that 20M Daren - you are going to have to succumb to peer pressure soon banging out training runs at that speed!

I've done the square root of naff all running since St Neots 1/2 last month, but tried a 9M with 4LT at the weekend to see where I was - the result wasn't surprising as I hate that session at the best of times...

Good luck on Sunday Brolish - be interested to see how you go and also what you make of the course. If I do a spring mara it'll be MK and I know they're thinking about changing the course, so imagine bits of it would be the same route. 

• Whoa! Where did you guys come from all of the sudden? Stick around!

Millsy: 9mm in training for a sub 3. That means we all have to slow down. A lot.

Superman: another vote for P&D. However, their schedules are a bit low on the long runs. But you can always run 20 or 22 instead of 18. I think most people would do at least 5 runs over 20 miles. The more, the better.

Nice interval work, Barry and Freemers.

Daren: wow … that means you’d run a sub 3:30 marathon with no trouble. Only 6.2 more milesimage

2old: nice progress. What about the achilles? Is it pain-free now?

Did a double today image 5 easy recovery miles this morning and just back from another 5 with hill reps image. Did 10 miles yesterday but I was shit image 

• Superman- another vote for P&D. Don't think you can go wrong with it.

Millsy- interesting what you say about lacking speed endurance and planning on doing more MP paced long runs. It's sort of what I'm doing at the moment. I'm working with a coach and he is of the opinion that I have lots of endurance and there's no point concentrating on knocking out tens of 20+ milers because I can clearly do that but it's not making me any faster. So this time round I'm doing a lot more running at steady and marathon pace to improve my speed endurance. Hope he's not mistaken and it works... It sure is hard work!

• col.col. ✭✭✭

Ant - nice target for VLM.

O4S - race the short stuff hard is my approach too. It worked well for me over the summer, and I will be using parkrun and XC over the next few months

Brolish - a 7.5m XC race will be tough. Good luck with that. Also good luck for your HM this weekend. You seem to be in good shape for the pb attempt. Over the summer I did a weekly 10 mile run with 8 or 9 of those miles at PMP. At first it was hard, but as the weeks progressed the pace did seem to get slightly easier. It worked well for me and I hope it does for you too.

Barry - good interval session. Very consistent splits

Freemers -  nice reps. Good pace.

Daren - only 1 thing to say. Do a marathon! Brilliant 20 miler.

2old - very nice pace on the hilly 10 miler. Good to hear you are enjoying your running.

Marcus - bad luck on the Asics competition. Stick around you will get great advice

Superman / Millsy - welcome

Track session last night - 4 x 1m with 1 min recovery.

• Quick q Col.  What pace was the 1mile at? 

• God i have another hangover image blinking Christmas. I am so on the wagon for January.

Daren - nutter! Get your entry into Halsted. You can always blow it out later if you don't fancy it

Red - MK marathon eh. they changed the course from the 1st to the 2nd year already. I guess they are finding it hard to decide!

• Minni Chickadee Brolish Thanks for the advice on the training plans. Thanks also to Clive who emailed me one of his tailored plans. 

From despair of yesterday missing out I feel really motivated again. image

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Brolish wrote (see)

Superman- another vote for P&D. Don't think you can go wrong with it.

Millsy- interesting what you say about lacking speed endurance and planning on doing more MP paced long runs. It's sort of what I'm doing at the moment. I'm working with a coach and he is of the opinion that I have lots of endurance and there's no point concentrating on knocking out tens of 20+ milers because I can clearly do that but it's not making me any faster. So this time round I'm doing a lot more running at steady and marathon pace to improve my speed endurance. Hope he's not mistaken and it works... It sure is hard work!

i have always been lacking in that middle ground. I'm pretty quick over 5k and can go for 30 miles at just over 8 min miles. Looking back at my training it was either speed or endurance work. Next time I will try a couple more long runs at a faster pace maybe not quite marathon pace but about 10-20 secs a mile slower and for 16-20 miles. 

Im always confident I can make up the difference on the day. 

• Millsy - I noticed one of your lsr's was the full 26m, 13m at MP, 13m slow, which most schedules don't advocate. Do you think this helped? 

• Marcus sorry to hear about the comp but hang around as the advise on this thread is very helpful & they are a good bunch.

Welcome Millsy

Your doing great Chick

2old Luckily I have the nice steep hill 5 minutes from my work so handy for lunchtime training. The hills on my training plan starts next week

Col enjoy the track session

Simon keep meaning to ask how is your shoulder now?

Training plan going well & went out for a 4 miler this afternoon before travelling up to my hometown in Warwickshire ready for a meeting & Christmas do tomorrow. I have my Christmas jumper & reindeer headgear ready. image Planning to be at the local pool early tomorrow morning for some training as taking advantage of not being on the school run.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Simon, sorry it was a typo. I meant a 13.1 race and then a 7 mile cool down. Oops!
  • Hope the taper for Sunday is not driving you too mad Bro!  Go and get that (sub) 1:34.  You've put plenty of hard work in over the last few months.

Not a bad comeback to speedwork at all Barry, you could have chosen a nicer session than mile reps image

Great running Daren! Remind me why you're not planning on running another marathon? Is it not worth a shot just to see how you'd get on?

Pain free run 2old? Any mishaps? Lost limbs?

Marcus I've heard Manchester is a very fast, flat course.

York is a cracking night out Minni. Pre-registration is still open? Hmmm.... Must... not... enter.... autumn... marathon....

Superman I don't think there's a perfect training plan out there, it depends what your strengths and weaknesses are as to which one you should follow.  If you're running every long run too fast I'd maybe suggest a plan based on heart rate.  Going off your 5K and 10K times you look like you're more biased towards speed, but it all depends what your training was like for each of those events. 

Yes Free do try and sort the NE visits so you can come and do GNR! If not next year then one year.  Ignore the haters, it's a cracking race.  Just expensive.

I did think 26M was a bit extreme for a training run Millsy...

Sounds like you're getting some decent mileage in again Chick. Is your back all OK now?

Track last night was more fun than I thought it would be - 16 x 300m with 100m recovery.  Hard work, my heart rate must have been sky high.  I always sleep well on a Tuesday night after track!  No running today, been spinning instead.  Steady run planned for tomorrow, going to get out early doors.

Are we doing Jantastic or not? I might have missed the decision.  I like Jantastic!

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Carrot - I joined the sub 3:15 team because I thought generally people didn't want to do it this year. image But I could change! 

Also, Jess has an interview at Teeside in Jan - can't be far from you. It's a Friday sI we might be able to meet for a run?!!! 

Pink - enjoy the time away and some guilt free training!image 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Carrot - York is a cracking night out??? It was bad enough running the parkrun A few weeks ago, I don't think I'd manage a marathon after a night like that! 

Ive got one more Christmas party to go on 21st then I'm on the wagon. I've had a written warning from Moz. image image

• Hi Guys

Was nice to go to bed last night without having the voting on my mind !

Nice and relaxed now its all over and can concentrate again on home, running, work (obviously in that order).

Whilst if im honest, those who have said maybe it would be better to do my first marathon without the spotlight are probably right, it would have been a great story to tell had I done it as the winner image  But its gone now and I've moved on.

I too received a copy of Clive 4 birds etc etc's marathon schedules and will start to tailor a plan to suit my circumstances.  Im also interested to see what plan Malcs will be working to.

Whatever route I take, I will be sticking around the forum as im sure you guys have a wealth of knowledge to share.

• Millsy - Don't tell me that. I've just Re planned my mara sched to incl 26m lsr's image.

Pink - Had another hydro sess this morning. It really helps with the shoulder, but after next week it's closed for chrimbo. Still looking at early to mid Jan to return to work. 

• Weird question... Hope it makes sense.

were you all 4 hour ish marathoners, that have sped up a bit, or are any of you from the slow brigade that have gradually got quicker n quicker?

i knocked nearly an hour off over my 1st year of marathons and I'm still only 4:36 and just cannot compute/comprehend the speeds you go at, is it down to natural talent / genes and hard work, or have any of you been in the slow lane and just got up to these speeds through pure hard work.