RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• Barry: speedy

Free: tomorrow is another day.

Chick: love German christmas markets, so much Gluhwein

Club christmas cracker session tonight, lots of team races involving lots of sprinting, quads really ache now.

• forget Gluhwein ... we had Gluh-Beer .... and Gluh -Coke. Well more Gluh than I care to remember (green smiley) . But I'm up and after a coffee I should be ok to run. Just feeling a teensy bit fragile :-/
  • Chick - You'll feel better after the run, hopefully.

Carrot - RW sub 3:15 plan, not quite hitting target pace for the quick runs yet but getting there,maybe tweaked a little bit with the longer runs, depending how my calf behaves. Sounds like a good race plan for Saturday, 10k with a hangover - nice.

2old - Yeah only 372 logged for VLM including the  race and 288 of those were in jan and feb. Hoping for a more consistent 2014. Always been OK at the speedy stuff, just struggled with the endurance bit, but my avg pace for the month is still just over 8min/mile.

• Nice Christmas names!

2old - I didn't like HG1 so probably won't bother with the 2nd one

Carrot good luck with the 10k Saturday - the fresh air will be good after the night before.

Likewise for your run Chick after the Gluhwein

Feel like my runs have been a bit over the place this week with the Christmas festivities. Planning a lunchtime run today followed by swimming training this evening. Deciding if to do a YKW tomorrow just to try & improve my time.

• Morning! Feling so much better today...thanks for your concern image

Pink - you know that now you've mentioned the idea of doing the YKW, you have to do it - that's the ruleimage

Carrot - have fun tonight, just leave something in reserve for the 10k!

Barry - nice pace for your run there...hopefully you'll have a really solid block of training now.

I have 8 x 800m to do later. Although it might end up as 6 x 800m, or 4 x 800m....eight sounds a lot at this time of year!

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Carrot - is that Saltwell 10k?

Last day at work for 2 weeks today.  Most excited about running in the light for a couple of weeks.

How's this for a session tomorrow: 4m easy; 3m steady; 2m MP; 1m @ 7:10; 2m @ 6:55; 1m FAST1.   image

• Minni - stop it, you're making me feel image again!  I reckon I could manage it up to the 2 @ 6.55, then I would just crawl into a ball and die...

• col.col. ✭✭✭

Barry - good pace on your 4 brisk miles.

Pink - go for the parkrun tomorrow

Freemers - good luck with the 800m reps. 8 does sound a lot at this time of year.

Carrot - good luck with the 10k

Parkrun for me tomorrow, and then I plan to mainly rest up until the end of the year before starting VLM training in January. Good luck to everyone running or racing this weekend.

• I saw Minni kissing Santa wrote (see)

How's this for a session tomorrow: 4m easy; 3m steady; 2m MP; 1m @ 7:10; 2m @ 6:55; 1m FAST1.   image

imageimageimage   6:55 is FAST - how much FASTer does it have to be image

yeah, running in daylight sounds fab. I need to work on the 27th and the 30th but at least I got the Monday off. 24th and 31st are semi-official bank holidays in Germany, i. e. most companies give their people time off.

Good luck at the parkrun, col.

Survived the 10. Felt really shit for the first 3 or 4 and had to give myself a good talking to ... very nearly gave up but suddenly I hit a nice rhythm and got quicker and quicker. Average was 8:15 with the first 3 probably at 10mm image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Minni- that run will have produced a pretty reasonable HM time. Just think how fast you'll be in daylight

Chick-welcome to the 'wish I hadn't done that ' club and I knew you'd nail that 10. Bet you sweated pilsner or is it perspired? Setting some good paces too by the way 

Col- enjoy your YKW and the rest 

pink- Xmas training always goes pear shaped for me too but anything is a bonus ( I think 20 mins =1 small mince pie so that's the incentive!)

Barry- you really took a risk for VLM so respect to you. If you can get the miles in with consistency sub3.15 is there for the taking. My av pace for the 1600 miles is exactly 8mm  ...don't know how that happened. 

Hope to fit something in today in between taxiing friends relatives etc. 

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Just squeezed 11.5m av7.29mm. Will enjoy a glass of wine or two tonightimage

• Back from a rather cool 2 hours on the bike, rather damp as well. Feet still frozen despite two pairs of socks and overshoes.

2old: nice running

Chick; knew you would naol the 10

Minni; rather you than me

Pink: no excuses now, go nail the ykw

Freemers: glad you feeling better, whens the next xmas party?

• DD - haha, one's enough for me....must be getting old!

8 x 800m d&d.  Started a bit conservative on the pace (6:57) but made each one quicker, with the final one being at 6:18 pace.  That really blew the cobwebs away  image

• 6:18?  If you believe Yasso that should translate to a 3:09 marathon.

OK, so they should all be at the same pace, on a track, but don't let that stop you.  3:09 is the new target image

• I did the Rome marathon a couple of years ago (March 2011) in 3'30'29". Distance by Garmin was 26.73 miles, so maybe 26.2 miles in ??? Anyway, best since then was 3'38", and 3'41" most recently. How to do sub 3'30"? I follow one of the RW schedules for sub 3'30". OK, I'm a bit older (61 now), but surely 3'30" isn't out of reach?

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Nothing's out your reach Gato! 

Freemers that's settled then. You drive the train! image

• If Freemers is driving the train, does that mean you're driving the replacement bus service? image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

toot toot. peep peep

• Nice speedy 800s, Freemers!

2old: I sweated all sorts of sickly sweet stuff image but felt great after.

El Gato: a few of us on here follow the P&D (Pfitzinger & Douglas) schedules, they seem to be quite good. But each to their own really. What works for you may not necessarily work for others and vice versa.

Oh god - another bunch at work want to go to the Christmas market again and I was just invited along image  think I need to give it a miss. Seriously, a bit more drinking over xmas and probably New Year's Eve but that's it. I'm sooo going on the wagon image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Loving the name Chick!

El Gato: What have you been doing (running wise) since your 3:41 and how long ago was that?

• El Gato- impossible is nothing!image But don't trust your garmin blindly, they tend to overmeasure the distance.

Free- 6:18- woooooooooosh!image

Chick- hard work this partying but someone's got to do it! You can always join me on the wagon for dry January.image

1h easy done at lunch and another one to do on the way home.

• Minni - So your sess was a 12m w/u, and then do 1m fastimage.

2old - Was your sess on the TM or outdoors today?

7m for me with 4 at MP. 1m w/u, then 8.00,7.58,7.57, 7.56, with 2m c/d. Very windy, so hard work keeping pace.

• I'm firmly planted on the couch with a nice glass of white. No more Gluh thingiesimage
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Freemers- you are flying- CD is dead right. its a bullit train .

Bro- another double puts me to shame

EL Gato- nothing is impossible 

Simon- yes I was braving the elements today. Loved it. Enjoyed watching the cyclists sail past obviously freezing their b@ll@cks off as I ran in my t shirt Nice and warm. Good MP session. I felt that wind too - seemed to coming from the east at first as I ran into it and then changed direction as I did. 

Chick- you've earnt that glass. Looks like I'm driving tonight and with the police cracking down here I think I will now have to make do with water. Don't drink coke anymore after giving up sugar. image

Rest day and a trip to Anfield tomorrow image

• 2old - Lets hope for another good result tomorrow, and Saurez has signed another 4yr dealimage. Just think how mucky their lovely road bikes will be alsoimage

Chick - Ghluwien is great, its the 'sauerkrauts' you have to watch out for image.

• Am I the only one with no Christmas parties, drunken gatherings or events best not mentioned image  El Sado I fear image

Still I do have a very good friend's 60th birthday bash tomorrow so perhaps I can join the hangover club. 10 slow miles today with BA, taking in our new house to make sure the 'sold' sign has gone up image . Still trying to get our house Into some semblance of order before the guys come to take the photos for the sales brochure - astonishing what you find when you start clearing out............

Tomorrow involves several trips to the tip and the charity shop................

Good Luck to anyone doing a YKW tomorrow!

• O4S - Nice looking at your new house. I hope its on higher ground, and less likely to floodimage.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Simon - hooray Suarez! image As I originate from Cardiff I'm going to have mixed feelings. ....Not ! No mud on the road so the cyclists only had to deal with looking like the living dead. 

• Simon: we currently live on a hill so flooding is one of the few issues we haven't had to contend with here. it will be nice not to have to finish every run with an uphill drag image