Options

RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• Options

AA - Very good TM run.

Chick - Well done on the long run in tough conditions. MP is going to feel hard in running in the wind/mud.

Doug - Good pace on your 10 miler.

Simon -  Bad news about the ankle, going out in a bit to test mine.

Good luck to all racers. 

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Good racing all today

Force 10 winds in southport and that's into

My face for 3 miles. Should be interesting
  • Options
    Just waiting for 2old to come back, with the tailwind, deffo force 10 ,brutal for him on the way out.
  • Options

Lets get the bad news out of the way first.  Went out for my run this morning, rain and v windy, nothing new there.  All good for the first few miles, my normally troublesome right calf Ok and no concerns from right ankle, but left calf went,  could n't run on it tried to stretch it - no good, ended up walking 3 miles home.  First run in new Ghost 6, remembered same injury occurred 4 weeks before Berlin, checked back and that was in first run in  new Ghost 6, coincidence I don't think so,  Not a happy boy. Calf v painful when stretching.  Going to go back to the running shop on Tuesday but damage is done.

• Options

Just checking in.1:28:10. Pleased with that given the very windy conditions. I'd say that was my best race since my return from injury. Was on target to smash my PB for most of it but 3 of the last 4 miles were into a brutal headwind so just misseem was in the end. 

• Options

Daren, well done! The wind out there is mental! You should be well pleased with that time. 

Hope all our other racers are faring well out there!

Barry - oh nooo! Sorry to hear that the new shoes have caused problems with your left calf, get the foam roller out and book in to a physio. Don't wear those shoes again, hope you get it sorted!

Ditto Simon - so frustrating with your ankle, your comeback has been inspirational to read, hope it is only a temporary blip and you're back into it asap.

Doug - very nice running from you. Marathon training can suck, when your mates are all out and you are on the wagon/out training. It will all be worth it in the end though, nothing beats the buzz of crossing a marathon finishing line!

O4S - 40 years, wow what a milestone image Hope you got around your 30 miler ok.

Pink - glad you've got plan B sorted, as others have said you'll get an even better half marathon pb by then image

I've never watched the winter olympics before, but the men's snowboarding was on while I was at the gym yesterday, quite amazing what they can do on their boards!

Time for another hour of exercising and icing, really hoping I get the green light to run this week image

• Options

Just checking in to see the results!! 

Daren - well done that's a great time given the tough conditions too. 

Kiwi - the gym will make you stronger! And help your return back to running for sure!

barry image that's so sad. Keep stretching and gentle massage. Deffo sounds trainer related which makes it worse. 

• Options
    ((Barry)) so sorry to hear image something clearly doesn't work with those trainers. Hope it's a short lived injury.

Nice one Daren and a long overdue confidence booster.

Rubbish news, Simon image Any idea what's wrong with the ankle?
  • Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Minni- body is a bit battered but holding up....very tired too

AA -excellent  and fast TM session 

Chick- that must have been a tough one for you today. 

Pink- glad you've got another HM sorted. Are you trainIngrid for a TRI?

Carrot/KFC- good running 

Simon- that ankle is turning into more than a niggle. Is it achilles or something else ? Enjoyed Liverpool's demolition of Arsenal. Pity about Wales ,Scotland and Cardiff though. Will you be bringing cake tomorrow?

• Options

Barry - How long did it take to break in your last pair of Ghost's, or did you bin them? Hope you get it sorted.

Daren – A 1:28 in windy conditions is pretty impressive. I'd have to be running down a mountain to hit that sort of speedimage.

Kiwi - Hope you get the green light to get back running.

Chick - I think it's more the achilles. I spoke to 2old after his 10k today, re remedies from his achilles, he recommended some squats, so I'll try that with icing. Maybe try some shorter runs to . But only 8 wks to mara! 

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Not sure why that last post was reported but anyway ignore it 

Mad Dog 10k- like Darens race brutal wind today. First 5k into a headwind so I knew this was not a pb race more of a learning experience and survival. it seemed natural for people to bunch up and I couldn't get used to being elbowed and cut up but it was better than stepping out into the gale . It also meant running at the pace of the group and if it slowed down stepping out to pick the pace up was like stepping into a wall of wind sapping energy. Eventually the run south along the coast road turned north and the wind was behind us so we speeded up even though i was sapped of energy by then . The groups broke up and runners strung out and I ran with a guy who had a spring on a missing leg and his support runner would turn around and run backwards urging his partner on. Very inspiring. Picked up the pace for the last two miles and finished in 42.48. 70th out of about 2000 runners and 9th in age group. It was a sort of progressive run looking at the splits-6.58,7.40,7.30,6.30,6.25,6.07,1.35. I think the winning time was about 37 mins so overall I'm happy with the outcome especially having run 88 miles in the last 8 days. 

Great support and well organised. Good to see Simon there too and thanks to him for the lift to the car park as I started to suffer hyperthermia . Now to enjoy the Olympics 

• Options
    snap 2old. 88 miles in 8 days too image. Sounds like a 10k experience rather to be missed .... but a good time in rubbish conditions
  • Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Simon- good luck with the Achilles 

Daren- amazing HM in those conditions. At least those 3 weren't 50% of the distance

Barry- chuck those trainers out. I had a similar problem a few weeks before Liverpool marathon when I did some fast running with more minimalist trainers. My calf seized up. My Physio told me to stop using those trainers and my calf soon recovered. Hope yours fixes quickly 

kiwi- keep gyming It will work out with a bit of time and patience .

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Chick- actually I enjoyed the experience and it was good running not worrying about doing a pb. There were a number of singers and bands along the way too so it was fun.... Really. Brilliant mileage by you especially with the niggles you've had recently. 

• Options
    kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

chick - no wonder MP felt hard!  Nice effort.

Great solution pink lady - fast and flat there, and if its windy you'll only have to endure 2.5k of headwind until a glorious 2.5k of tailwind!

Barry - oh no.  Guess it will be hard to see exactly whats up until its settled down, so try not to get too down yet.  

oh no Simon - hows it feeling today?

Good to see you celebrated in the customary way with a muddy xc O4S and BA!

Doug - sounds like you are starting from a good place.  Looking forward to seeing how you go on the way to your first marathon

Nice one Daren - good to see you happy with your race!

2old - not bad for an 'easy' race

I'll race report later, but 1.34.31 on a toughie of a course.  Nearly 2min PB, and more to come if I can find a flatter course so happy with that.  2nd lady too.  Bad day for BH though - his calf went at halfway so he DNF'd.  

• Options

Wet, windy, muddy, long - what's to like?  Actually where shall I start.............???

Great runs Daren and KFC - looking forward to the race report KFC.

2Old: you sound as if you are coming round to my way of thinking, must be old age creeping up on youimage

Barry and Simon: look after yourselves and fingers crossed it is nothing too serious.

Chick: you really must try a few ultras with the miles you put in - you could do a whole week's running in one day and eat as much cake as you like.

AA: how is it looking your way from Bramley - we had several events cancelled round our way this weekend, not just due to flooding but medical support being withdrawn in case there was a real emergency elsewhere.

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

O4S- me Old? Surely some mistake! Having fun racing may be the way though.Maybe going out to friends until 1am last night wasn't the best preparation for today .Bit worrying about the medical situation down your way.

KFC- excellent HM- it will be interesting to see how you get on in a more accommodating race . Any bling?

• Options

KFC - congratulations. Cracking pb in hard conditions. 

O4S - we are having a nightmare here. My 4x4 got stuck in flood water yesterday and died. Water up to bonnet. Managed to get it started again but at one point thought I was gonna have to get wet. Really frightening.  The roads in and out the village are closed because of flooding. And bramley will definitely be off if we have much more rain. Well done on your ultra today and to BA for your anniversary!! 

• Options

Some cracking race results folks!

The wind sounds horrendous Daren, there's nothing worse during a race (especially in the last few miles) Brilliant result, glad to hear it's gone so well for you.  No stitch?

Oh no Barry, hope it's eased off a bit as the day has gone on? Foam roll, ice, you know the drill.  Fingers crossed you can get the trainers changed.

Congratulations on your 40 years together O4S.

Nice result 2old! You've been putting in some decent miles so that's a great result on tired legs.

Congrats on your new PB kfc, there's more to come from you. Bad news for BH, hope it's nothing serious.

Waiting to hear how Minni got on in her HM today, looks like she's had a good result.

22M done before 10am yesterday.  Won the Marathon trophy at the club awards do last night image There's been some fantastic marathons posted by other club members so I was over the moon to have won.  Had a considerable amount of wine last night, 9M this morning shook off the bad head.

• Options

Quick shout out to KFC who went away with armfuls of prizes. Good run there and looking good for a 3;15 at London. Come over to the 3:15 thread whenever you feel like doing so (if Minni will let youimage )

• Options
    kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

A deserved win carrot - nicely done

Deal half

Brisk wind - roughly 4 miles headwind, 4 tail, 5 cross.  Undulating course - plenty of small hills all through, with a longer one in the 5th mile.  Generally uphill/wind for first half, downhill/wind second half.  Splits all over the place:

7.15; 6.47; 7.21; 7.10; 8.15; 7.35; 7.14; 7.02; 6.43; 6.59; 7.14; 7.33; 6.33 (6.27)

Small field of 350, I set off close to the front straight uphill into a raging headwind.  Spent the first few miles trying to shelter behind other people.  A couple of miles in I heard a marshall say to the lady ahead - you're first lady, so that made me second, and just behind me third.  

Lots of energy sapping hills and headwinds in the first few miles - each uphill my legs got heavier.  I made ground on the straights and downs, lost it on the ups.  Mile 5 was a tough long hill and the 3rd lady overtook me, running with a clubmate.  Long straight exposed section straight into the wind at the top - we both took advantage of her clubmate to shelter behind.

I came back past them on a downhill section at halfway, and took advantage of a few miles of tailwind to make some ground, knowing they'd come back at me on the uphills.  Could still see 1st lady not far ahead.  Hard to get into a rhythm for the rest of the course, and field thinned out so nobody to shelter behind.  Didn't realise at the time, but nearly got chased down and only held on to second by a few seconds.

No bling, but got kit vouchers for 2nd overall and 1st senior. image

• Options
    kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

Was just about to do the same Phil - nice meeting you and your clubmates today.  Hope you guys managed to get home safe with all the prizes you took!

• Options

KFC - Great race report, and brilliant resultimage. Forget the 3:15 crew. After all, better to be a fast fish in a slow pond, than a slow fish in a fast pond, I think that's what Confucious saidimage.

Carot - Just the 22m yesterdayimage?

O4S - Any bling this week from your ultra, sounds like you had fun?

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Oh no Barry.  You know the drill - get the ice out.

Carrot - you really deserve that.  Well done.

Really feeling for you all down there with the floods.  AA heard your village mentioned on the BBC news yesterday.

Great runs Daren and kfc image

Great effort there on a big week 2old.

So today for me was about getting a solid run in without my hip packing in and without vomiting or passing out at the end.

Liversedge is hilly.  Not undulating but hilly.  And windy.  And wet.  Although the rain did stop mostly during the race.

Everyone had warned me about how hilly it was so I had no target time at all.   First mile was downhill or flat, which was a nice surprise but then came the first hill that went on and on and on, for a good 3 miles.  I was surprised how good I felt on this and seemed to get into a rhythm and was able to keep it up.  A very steep downhill followed and this was a bit 'ouch' but no sooner did we hit the bottom before it was climbing again. 

The wind was coming from every direction and a couple of times it literally stopped me in my tracks but it didn't bother me too much because it was rarely head on.  Head winds seem to be the only ones I can't deal with.

Because I wasn't watching my time I concentrated on picking people off.  About halfway someone called out I was 7th lady so set my slights on No 6.  She obviously had the same thoughts and we both ended up passing No 5!  However, No 6 then took off and I knew I wouldn't catch her. 

The next big hill starting at about 8.5 miles and went on to about 10 miles.  I didn't pass anyone on this hill but once I got to the top I managed to pick another one or two off in the last few miles.  A small dip around 11.5 miles gave way to the final hill into the finish. 

1:37.xx for 6th lady, 1st v40 and the winning ladies team.  Hip held up although it was uncomfortable throughout but no vomiting or passing out!!

Should have also added that it was more than 6 hours in a bus there and back! 

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Minni-a very worthwhile bus trip there for you. Great race and bling in tough conditions-aren't they always for you these days? Good to see the hip held up

carrot- a well deserved prize and judging by that 22 and hangover 9 you're taking things up a notch

KFC- you were on fire for the last 6 or so miles. Excellent splits. No need to go to sub 3.15 as by current form many here will nail that time by May

Simon- maybe we should carry out a hostile takeover of 3.15 ?

AA- that must have been terrifying for you...you can't underestimate the power of water . Take care 

I will have bragging rights in the office tomorrow beating two work colleagues today by 4 and 7 minutes respectively. ....not often I look forward to work. 

• Options
    Excellent racing - brilliant PB abd bling KFC image

Minni - really strong running in the hills image

2old - great to beat your colleagues!

Daren - good to see you again yesterday, and a great time from you.

I finished in 1.35.40, not a PB but pretty pleased with that. Like Daren I was on for a PB until 9 miles - mostly running just under 7.10s with a couple of 6.5x's with the wind behing me, and feeling strong. But the wind in miles 10, 11 and 13 was brutal, and I couldn't shelter behind anyone as we were strung out by then - so it felt like I was running through treacle. Those three milese were all 8.0x so just took the PB away from me. Much better effort than the HMs I ran in the autumn, and also quicker than the one I ran (in better weather) last spring, so it gives me some confidence going into VLM.
  • Options

2old - Puts new meaning to a good day at the office.  Solid performance on the 10k in poor conditions, winning time shows how tough it was.  Might be joining you in the race for "fun" club, PB chasing is getting v frustrating.  Can't chuck the shoes out I've been in versions of the ghost for 9 months I've got 2 worn pairs and the new pair.  See what shop says tomorrow.

Daren - That's v quick and impressive in windy conditions.

Simon - Difficult to say how long it took me to break previous pair in, left calf went in a new pair in Sep just before Berlin, did n't run much in the 3 weeks before Berlin, then calf was completely gone during last 6 miles of mara, so had 3 weeks no running, but when I started up again late October left calf was OK.  Definitely need to change from the Ghosts as I will have no confidence in them when I have to buy new again.  How's your ankle?

kfc - Congrats on the PB on a tough course and in tough conditions.  Unlucky for BH.

Carrot - Congrats on the trophy.

Minni - Strong performance on a difficult course.  Congrats on the first place.

• Options

Freemers - x post , very good race from you in poor conditions.

• Options

Hi all - radio silence from me for the past couple of weeks because I was knocked off my bike on a commute into the office. Massive shiner, and possible broken nose, so was in a bit of a state. However, hospital on Friday gave me the all clear with the nose and my bruising has nearly all gone. So I am back in the game.

16M long run on Sunday with 10@MP (7:45). Felt fine, and that was my last marathon MP, so I guess things can only get better!

Good to hear some race successes going on down, not so good to hear about all the flooding. Hope you get some respite AA.

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Ant-thats terrible news but good to see you've toughed it out and are back inthe game with an excellent 16miler. Hope you've got a good lawyer to seek retribution/recompense

Free-great HM in that terrible wind. The extra effort you've banked will produce dividends. You are right to be confident

Barry-up until my achilles problem I ran mainly in Saucony Omni's but now just run in them once or twice having changed to Brooks Trance 10 and 12 so I have 3 pairs on the go at the moment.This seems to have helped-maybe Im not hitting the same part of the foot with every step using different shoes?

the wind speed in Southport was 26mph yesterday so that explains why running straight into it was so tough.Probably much the same for everyone else yesterday .

MLR today.