RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

See O4S  still worth celebrating your birthday....if only for one more yearimage BA needs to prepare for it now 

Simon- it was great round here today so you must have enjoyed that ride. I'm sure your pain was worth it

Barry- are you starting to think this calf thing is a mental barrier you have to jump..? Anyway that's good news. 

Bro- live streaming? What will be next ? Live streamed run cam? Can't say it was easy today apart from the first warm up mile 

• Happy Birthday Pink!

Good plan and target Bro.  Confidence!

Chick as much as you say you'd like the results off lower mileage I think you enjoy knocking out the 70-80 mile weeks! Hope you back was OK today and the tempo went well.

Great mile reps Minni. No I won't be running at Alnwick but Parsnip will be so look out for him image I'm doing a 10K race that day as my quality session for next week is 10M with 6 @ 10K pace.  I can't see me ever hitting 10K pace during a lone training run so it's got to be a race!

Glad to hear you're back into the swing of things Ant. 

Kiwi as per O4S, I might have killed someone by now if I was in your position.  Rant away!

3 x 2000m on the track last night, 8M easy this morning.  We've another north east parkrun starting up on Saturday but I'll be running it easy as racing 10M on Sunday.

• 2old - Maybe I worded that wrong, no concerns found with flexibility, balance, joint motion and running action which could have caused injury, but definite damage to left calf.

• Kiwi - you are well entitled to rant. I thought I had to be patient with my injury from 2012, but you have had to endure it for a lot longer. Hang in there, it's got to turn the corner soon,

Minni - great mile reps image

Ant - glad to see your training is going well.

Barry - seems positive from the physio. Don't overdo it though!

Pink - missed your birthday yesterday - hope it was a good one image

O4S - hope your back settles down.

I was away overnight Tuesday and had all good intentions to get up early for a TM run yesterday morning - but I got tothe hotel to find I'd forgotten to pack my trainers! can't think what came over me, they are usually the first thing in the case. Anyway, instead I got up extra early this morning and did 10 miles including 7 @ MP (it was on the TM and I was running those between 7.30 and 7.22 pace). Feel refreshed now image
  • Free- nice TM session.

Carrot- 3x 200m sounds tough. Was it 10k pace?

The last 3.5m run with a few strides done before work. Was up at 5 after a night filled with dreams about natural disasters and flight cancellations. Exhausting!

Trying to concentrate on work but failing miserably today.image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Bro-hopefully you will sleep well the next 3 nights. Is that your last run? Spend the day visualising your race on Sunday

Carrot-painful intervals

Managed to squeeze in 5 steady last night making 16 for theday. Thats one way to clear the  throat of the horrible green stuff accumulating there

• 2Old- I have an optional 20min shuffle on Saturday if I feel likel it.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Bro-Ive never bothered with the Saturday run mainly because it means taking extra running gear with me as I want to wear clean stuff for the race and I like to spend the day with my feet up on a tour bus or in a theatre or similar. Then again having been to your destination there  are lots of nice bars to go around ,have a few drinks and some tapasimage

• Bro - talking of dreams I had my first marathon dream of the year the other night. It was Abingdon, and I was late for the start and they had closed the baggage tent. I had to run along pushing my kit bag on what seemed to be a parcel trolley. Halfway up a hill I decided to ditch it, but then had to run back to rescue my valuables! Weird!!

When are you flying out? So exciting for you....stay calm for the next few days image
  • lol, Freemers, bizarre dream! nice mp reps there.

Bro starting to get excited for you!!

Carrot, nice track work. Mr Kiwi is a park run convert, he loves them, we're in the middle of 2, he's going to try the Southend one on Saturday, i can go for a brisk walk by the sea so great location.

Barry - good news on the calf.

Simon nice cycling. Mr Kiwi wnts to get me a hybrid bike so i can do some more cycling this summer, could be tempted....

thanks for listening to my rant. i got my 'beat any injury' book in the post this morning, so will read up. 2old - am now seeing a running physio, diagnosed 'patellofemoral knee pain a.ka runner's knee', basically my first injury was my left i.t band + now my glute muscles are weak, so my left knee flops in as the patella isn't tracking properly. she's done another gaot anaylsis + shoes are fine, it really is about me being patient + building up the glute muscles. off to the gym later to xercylce image

• Great mile reps, Minni 

Happy belated birthday, Pink 

2old: sorry to hear you are under the weather. 

((Kiwi)): bah – feel free to moan as much as you like. That really sucks!!

Ant: an un-muddy xc, excellent! Nice MLR jog to work too. 

Barry: hope the taping works. I remember it did wonders for my back in September!

Wow, Bro – so excited for you! What’s the weather forecast like? 

DD, 2old: 59 days til Boston … gulp

Yesterday's double was great actually. A calm 5 in the morning just a shade under 9mm and then another 8 with 5 @ tempo (splits between 6:47 and 6:57, average 6:52). It felt great actually! I ran around Hamburg's inner city lake, the Alster. There's always plenty of runners there. So it's quite easy to imagine yourself being in a race chasing people down image. Unfortunately there is also a lot of dogs and their walkers and at one point I nearly fell over a Great Dane that jumped into my path. Blimey, they are HUGE!

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Free-I had a similar dream but not only did I arrive late but only turned up with one running shoe which is odd as I normally wear them getting to the event. Think we need to get a life!

Chick-excellent double and fast 5 in that 8. Like the idea of  having other runners there to chase down ,helping keep  the pace. Sounds  like you had to use some hurdling techniques to get over that huge dog.  Only 59days??? to Boston. Allowing for a two week taper thats 45 days.-five and a half weeks and a max of 6 more long runs.

• Chick - wow, that is a rapid tempo block. 

LT session for me this evening before rehydrating with beers. Going to try and do my long run on Friday so that I can do the club handicap on the Saturday. 3 miles of hilly mixed terrain running, sounds funimage

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Ant-I agree with you that was pretty impressive stuff by Chick. Hilly and probably very wet and muddy-yes that handicap will be fun. Not sure whether to do my LR tomorrow afternoon or get up early on Sunday.

I found it tough doing my intervals of 6x1k at 6.37mm pace with 500m recoveries at 8mm today , 8 miles overall

• Chick - Nice fast reps, was that including hurdling the Great Daneimage?

Kiwi - The only prob with that book is , won't you find more ailments to fix that you never hadimage.  If I remember you're mainly a Mtn biker, so why not get a 'crosser', so you can ride with your OH, but also go off-road and get muddy?

2old - If you found them hard, they must of been, how's the Achilles?

Ant - Enjoy your Lt sesh and beers

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Simon- Achilles better than yesterday and yesterday was better than the day before. I'm sure it gets worse if I don't run. How are the backside bruises? 

• Chick -  Very good double with impressive pace on your tempo.

2old -  Another one hitting the doubles, no wonder the intervals felt tough, good pace though. There's an organised Saturday run in Barcelona which me and Pink will try and do, it finishes in the Olympic stadium.

Freemers -  Don't get me started on weird dreams, I was dreaming last week, normal stuff turned up late for the start, then ended up running through houses to try and catch up. Nice MP  miles

Brol -  All the hard work is done, apart from the race itself, enjoy the build up.

10 miles done this afternoon, back to the wind and rain.  Calf OK.image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Kiwi - have you had an MRI? Seriously it's really testing your patience. Stay strong.

Barry - that's good news. image

Chick - great run. I had a collie grab the heel of my shoe the other day. Almost went flat on my face but, like you, I was on a mission so the adrenaline kept me going.

Brolish - seriously your marathon couldn't have been at a more awkward time - when are we going to do out long runs???!!! image

Haha love your dream Freemers!

Last night was my midweek 12 miler that always ends up progressive - partly because I'm running against the light. Last 5 miles were all sub 8.
  • Thanks for all the birthday wishes - I had a really lovely day. Even my local MP turned up on my doorstep & wished me a Happy Birthday! image

Simon I'm on the cusp Aquarius/Pisces

O4S I think I've moved up an age bracket (sad face)

Hang in there Kiwi don't worry about the rant

Brol Good luck in Seville

Nice double there Chick

Went out for a short run yesterday morning - since that HM last weekend my mm seem to be reducing!

Celebrated my birthday with some champagne last night so didn't go out on my intended run this morning. I did however enter Stratford Half Marathon which takes place at the end of April image

Spent today in my hometown catching up with my folks before we head up north tomorrow. Saturday morning run on the beach me thinks.

• Pink - I'm the opposite Pisces/Aquarius, as mine's on Sunday . I'll probably pass you on the M6 on Saturday, as going down to see my sister in Leicester for lunch at Carluccio's.  Will try a lsr tomorrow and see how the Achilles is.

2old - There are some advantages to having a fat arse, which most of us haven't got. Hopefully it will harden to it after a few more ridesimage.

Minni/Barry - Nice mlr's, and niggles ok.

• Good news Barry image

That's one way to make sure you speed up Minni - try and beat the sun going down!

2old - your recovery pace is very quick on those reps - do you always do that? I tend to do 9mm or slower, not sure what the right answer is though.

7 miles easy d&d - sun just coming out so a lovely run.

It's looking like a windy day on Sunday, but for once it may work in my favour. Looking at the course map the first 7 miles will be into the wind, so that will keep me slow which is what I want. Then I turn and the last 13 are either a side wind (OK, not great but not too bad either) or following wind. So I'll let the wind work for me on those bits and should be able to pick up some pace.
  • LT run went well last night - 8M with 4@ LT which came out at 7:04. Its amazing what a week will do, because only last thursday I was struggling to hit MP during my LT run. I have 16M to do today which I will try and do shortly as the sun is shining here in North London.

What race you got on Sunday Freemers?

Kiwi - yeah an MRI sounds the ticket. Perhaps it isn't runner's knee. Didn't Oompa have problems with his knee swelling and that was a cartilage issue IIRC?

• Nice one, Ant image

Hope things work out well for your 20 miler tomorrow, Freemers.

Minni wrote (see)

Chick - great run. I had a collie grab the heel of my shoe the other day. Almost went flat on my face but, like you, I was on a mission so the adrenaline kept me going. 

Last night was my midweek 12 miler that always ends up progressive - partly because I'm running against the light. Last 5 miles were all sub 8.

Nice MLR, Minni. Nasty collieimage  My worst dog incident was some whacky mongrel trying to hump my leg mid-run :S

15 miles done this morning. Av. pace was just a shade under 8mm. I like to do them as steady runsimage  Less time on feet and more time in bed!!

• I've never run the day before a marathon, I've never dared try it out!

Freemers my recovery between intervals isn't even 9mm! A quick look at Tuesday's session - 3 x 2000m with 400m jog recovery - shows the recoveries done at 11:30-12mm.  I prefer them slow, to be honest I usually need it.  Loving the random marathon dream!  Good luck for Sunday, it's rare to have the weather work favourably like that.

Wow Chick great tempo running yesterday. You're quicker than ever.  Decent 15M this morning too!

Good luck for the handicap tomorrow Ant.  They're great training runs.

Sounds like you've well and truly got the bug for racing Pink!

Pleased the calf was OK for the 10M Barry.  Hope you can keep on top of it.  Three weeks to go!

Forecast looks typically grim for Sunday's 10M race.  25mph winds - which, of course, will be behind us during the first few miles and right in our faces for the last half of the race.  Ah well, I'm doing it as part of a long run anyway but would be nice to not have the wind to fight again. 

• crossing my fingers, carrot

Saw this car sticker in a supermarket car park yesterday - made my day! Very unusual for a German to display 26.2 - not many people know what it's all about. They know the kilometre equivalent of 42.195 image

/members/images/411726/Gallery/2014-02-20-017-1.jpg

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Chick- I've got one of those stickers somewhere. Do you know who John Hancock is? That's an impressive 15- I can see another mega mileage for you again this week 

free- I probably do the recoveries too quickly but it's easier to get back up to speed . I tried adapting my run today to have the wind on my back but it swirled so much it seemed to come from all directions

Carrot- it was blowing hard this afternoon so it doesn't bode well for the race. Never mind it makes you stronger 

Ant- I agree....one day I feel I can't run under 8mm and in another 7mm isn't a problem. I guess that happens when training every day and tiredness is ever present. Hope you enjoyed the 16

Barry- pleased to see you comfortable doing double figures . Maybe a positive mental approach is part of whats needed to conquer the calf niggle. I'm sure my consultant just telling me my achilles was getting better led me to feel less discomfort from it 

Simon- too much information! Should have done your LR today ...sunny ...but windy as hell

family home this weekend and didn't like the look of the forecast for Sunday so did my LR this afternoon. Tough after 47 miles since Sunday but happy with a very windy 20 av 7.49mm..Still can't see how I can ever get back to sub 3.15 pace . Suppose I just gotta have faith. 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

2old - you really frustrate me!!!!!  This is marathon training!  20m @ 7:49 is FAST for a training run and only MP+20s.  Will you pleased just trust in the training and don't ruin it all by trying to peak in training!  Lol.  If you feel you need to hit the marathon pace then chunk the run.  On Sunday I am planning 5m @ c.8:30, 5m @ c.8:00, 5m @ c. 7:50 and 5m @ MP.

chickadee said:  Nice MLR, Minni. Nasty collieimage  My worst dog incident was some whacky mongrel trying to hump my leg mid-run :S

That wasn't SPOONS in Oxford was it Chick?  He's a dirty dog!

Carrot/Freemers - that's bugger about the wind on Sunday.  Typical.

Glad you're getting back into it Ant. 

It looks like Brolish had arrived in the correct country and has got her marathon number.  All ok at the moment......!

• col.col. ✭✭✭

Brolish - best of luck in Seville

Barry - good news on the calf

Chickadee - that's a fast tempo run

2old - that's a fast pace for a 20m run. Was there any miles at MP in there?

Ant - good pace on the LT run

Freemers - good luck with your 20m race

Carrot - my recoveries between intervals are a similar pace to yours. Good luck with the 10m race

Simon - I hope the lsr goes well

Last night I did a 30 minute tempo run, rest day today and a have 5m trail race lined up for tomorrow.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Minni- I guess I just wanted to get it overwith and am not disciplined enough to do a structured LR like you. I will try next time .Anyway maybe it was MP -60secsimage

Col- just looked at the splits. They are abit (very)all over the pace probably due to strong wind and the hilly section I did in the middle of the run. Most of the splits are between 7.40 and 7.50 Then there were these :mile1-8.17,mile 17-8.02, mile18 - 8.05, mile 19- 8.04 and these :mile 11-7.32, mile14-7.33, mile 16-7.35, mile 20- 7.30 . Good luck in the trail race. 

Bro- are you carbo loading on paella?