RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• Minni - Nice 20miler, and Scotland avoiding the wooden spoon. I didn't track Brol's race, only her travel plansimage, I'll wait for the race report for the Pb news.

Barry/Pink - Sorry to hear about your calf, ball ache ! Pink thanks for the congrats. It was Blackpool half today, glad I didn't do it with this wind. Eating cake insteadimage.

Chick - Nice fast steady half, esp after a 7m warm up.

Other good 20's from AA and 40.

Kiwi - Good news the Doc doesn't think you need a MRI scan, take things easy .

Looking forward to Mr & Mrs FRC race reports too.

• Fantastic from Bro!!! So pleased for you image

Nice running Minni and Chick image

Scored on the doors: 2.37.06 with final 5 @ MP. Chatted for the first 7-8 miles running around 8.15's, then decided to speed up, was doing 7.50s for the next 7, then just went for it. Wind bad in places but nothing like my last race. Really enjoyed it, and didn't throw up so all good.
  • Minni - Great splits!

Chick - You as well; HMP becomes MP is really rather good

2Old - North Dorset Village Marathon is the plan, pretty & low key, I may spend a lot of the time running solo!

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Wow what a great day's running!  You can tell the marathon's are looming.

chick that sounds like a very strong run and doesn't it feel a bit easier when done in a race?   I keep forgetting, is Boston the week before or week after London?

Freemers - glad you didn't throw up!  What was your pace for the last 5?  I'm wondering if we might be targeting a similar time in London - although I don't yet know what that is!  As above, sounds like a very solid run.

Simon - is the Achilles ok today after yesterday's run?

Pink - have you fully recovered from the HM?

Kiwi - a lie in for you?!!! I think I spotted Mr Kiwi doing a parkrun yesterday - how did he get on?

2old - I feel fine.  My hip has actually got much better since I've been doing the faster longer runs, funny that.  I've been sick after my last few long runs and had blood tests done with the GP - all normal .  Thankfully I have eaten and there's no sign of sickness today.  Re the splits - the first 5 would have always been that pace, or even slower.   During miles 16 - 19 I was working really hard but the wind almost had me at a standstill in places.  Then when I turned for the last mile it felt so much easier.  I looked at the pace about 0.25m miles in and it was sub 7!  I think that the effort was actually greater on those few slower miles than the final one. 

• very strong run, Freemers image. Excellent.

Agree, brilliant day for the thread. Well battled against the wind, Minni.

Boston is on April 21 (56 days...)
  • Some great running this weekend team image

chick - brilliant confidence boosting run.

Minni - what great mile splits. And wow to that final mile!

freemers - cracking 20. Well done.

40 - we have all those runs and they only make us stronger in the end. 

2old - you don't half run those long runs fast! 

Simon - what date is Manchester?

bro - yes yes yes. So pleased image

kiwi - youve been so patient. Is be going mental by now.

Intwrvals for me today. 6x1200m done @6:54 pace. I've had quite a few aborted sessions this week as I've felt so tired after Bramley. This week is gonna be a taper week for me as it's Reading half next Sunday (scary face!)

• Great run Freemers

Simon Missed Blackpool HM as we travelled home last night

Minni Yes fully recovered from HM. Training has started for the next one Warwick HM next month

AA Reading already? That's come round quick. I'm sure you will do very well

• Well done Brol. No tracking (not sure I know how to) so will look forward to reading your report.

Nice long runs everyone and some great racing

This weekend was about seeing how the back would react to three days in a row, so 7 miles easy On Friday, 26 miles undulating off road Saturday and 20 miles hilly off road today - some dreadful underfoot conditions, gale force winds and horizontal rain on the top of the Mendips so pace was rubbish. Back held up well, just a bit tired and achey now. Big test is 20 mile race in 2 weeks, with a 3 mile ascent between miles 3 and 6image

Pink: we were robbed!!!  At least we are still sitting top of the table image

Barry: bad news on the calf, hope you can get it sorted

• AA - Manchester is 6wks today, so with a 2wk taper, that's only 4 more lsr's. 

Minni - Achilles ok after icing and stretching (touch wood). Glad to hear your hip held up, and you don't need it replaced (yet)image.

O4S - Nice to hear you're taking it easy with 7, 26, 20miles only.

Free - Nice race, well done

• Minni - my pace was about 7.25 for the last 5 - although it went from a 7.16 up to a 7.35. I'm thinking anything from 7.20 to 7.25 at the moment (7 weeks out so all can change!). The best thing was from mile 8 onwards nobody overtook me and I was just picking people off so had lots of targets to keep me going.
  • Bro - fantastic result, very much deserved after all of your hard work image

Oh no, Barry! That's really not good, gutted for you image

Well paced race today Free, nice work.

Well done bagging another 20M AA, and some speedy 1200s today!  Reading is where you stormed it last year wasn't it?

That's another great 20M baked for you Minni.  I'm so pleased you're back on it after your hip problems and being sick. 

Great running today Chick! Yes, 7:32 might have been your HMP a few years ago.  But you've improved vastly since then, enjoy it image Loving the happy dance!

O4S you do more miles in a weekend than many do in a week!

Result from today's 10M race was a mediocre 70:33.  The 25mph winds were behind us for the first 4M of a triangular route, then either a direct headwind or nasty crosswind for the remaining miles.  Managed to tuck in behind a few runners on the quiet country lanes but on the busier roads everyone was strung out to avoid the traffic.  It was horrendous!  Nonetheless, with warm up and warm down miles banked just under 20M for the day.  Had a few dizzy moments on the warm down with black spots in front of my eyes.  A few others said they had the same, must have been the effects of the wind?! I've logged it as 20M on Jantastic.  If that's wrong may I be struck down by a thunderbolt.

• Carrot - lying on Jantastic??? Ok, you're forgiven image That's a great time in those conditions.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Well done Carrot. That's a hard 10 in the middle of a 20. I was thinking about you today when I was running into that wind.

Freemers - yes that's similar to my thoughts at the moment. I'll have more idea after the 20 in a couple of weeks. Maybe.

O4S - how's the back?

Well done on the intervals AA. Worth more on a Sunday!image
  • Minni: back is pretty good all things considered. I think I did Bramley too soon after being manipulated by the Osteopath, so 2 consecutive days rest this week was imposed. I think the slow miles are fine - have to wait and see how it reacts to three races in 4 days next weekend.

Carrot: I would be delighted with that time in those conditions! We reversed our 20 mile trot today (we were using a train to get from one end to the other). Set off on original route and were blown to a standstill on an open, exposed disused railway. Slunk back to the station and got the train to the far end then headed back. On the hills and ridges the cross wind would have taken your head off image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

After seeing your fast runs today Minni ,Chick and Free I'm not sure you can shout at me for doing LRs too quickly ...very impressive

Chick-so last years HM pace is this years approx MP? At least we have a week longer than the VLMers

O4S- what can I say about your exploits this weekend? Speechless .Well done . Most of my weekly total in a weekend. 

Carrot- great 10 in tough conditions. And no wonder you felt dizzy after making it into 20. What schedule suggested that? Hope all is ok

Simon-the count down for you has begun

AA- don't think I could risk those tough intervals after all I ate for lunch. Is the flooding near you receding?

Today huge lunch then watched Liverpools 7 goal thriller and tonight a run with Miss2Old pacing her LSR  for 11 miles and adding 2 more when she finished making 13. Total for week 73. 

• Congrats on the PB Bro - I suspect you may be in the bar.

Barry - fingers crossed for the calf. 

Spoons - yes what has happened? Busy getting in the miles on the bike before his IM perhaps!?

2Old, Free, AA, CarrotMinni and everyone else: well done on the 20s. I haven't done any yet! %) Eek. I would be worried, but I am sticking to the plan. And the plan is the P&D. 

So it was 16M for me this week. I was going to do the club handicap on Sat,but I was so knackered on Friday I simply couldn't face doing the 16M and then doing a race the next day.

I am doing my LRs at more like 8:30, which is what P&D calls for (9:00-8:15 pace for a 7:30 target pace). The only time I push that is when doing the MP block. But I am probably aiming for a slower time than many of you anyway.

Anyway 12M MLR into work tomorrow so I had better get some kip.

• col.col. ✭✭✭

Brolish - Brilliant. Well done on the PB.

Barry - not good news on the calf. Hopefully there is time to make a full recovery.

2old / Minni / Freemers / AA / Carrot / 40minutes - well done on the long runs

O4S - that's some miles you put in over the weekend.

Pinklady / O4S - it was a great game of rugby on saturday especially the 2nd half. Unfortunately we didn't quite manage to hold on the lead.

Simon-  getting close now

Chickadee - great pace in your run! 

Minni - holding on to MP in the wind is tough. I have been ignoring pace and focussing on effort.

Ant - your pace on the LR is about right. I too only only push on the MP sections. Good idea to stick to the plan.

• Barry not again... Gutted for you.

Brol superb. So happy for you.

Quick pop in.

Malta Took it easy ish. Started off at 7:20 pace feeling comfortable, then put sensible head on, backed off and kept steady pace. A very comfortable 3:24.

More info later.

Mrs FRC got her PB too, 5 minutes off her half time.
  • Excellent stuff FRC & the missus image  

2Old wrote (see)

Chick-so last years HM pace is this years approx MP? At least we have a week longer than the VLMers

Gosh no! That was HMP in 2010image   I have become faster but not within a year. Last year's HMP was 7:10 image

carrot: mighty impressive run there. Well done!

O4S: just what the doctor usually orders for a dodgy back ... a bunch of 20 and 30 milers on consecutive daysimage  cray-zeee!!

Beautiful day out there. Wish I'd taken my running kit into work! But schedule says rest day so I should probably stick to it.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

FRC-another good one and have to chuckle that you still easily nailed a comfortable sub 3.30 after putting your sensible hat on. Congrat s to Mrs FRC. Looking forward to the report

Chick-Im in the if the weather is good, run, camp but you are sensible following the plan. Good to see you know you have got faster. After my lay off last year I think my HM pace last year is more like my current 10k pace and I'm way of marathon pb pace still as you say there are still 55 days to go

Ant- you are right to follow the plan, I guess Ive been trying to make up for last years lost months.The next phase of my shedule seems to focus on a lot more speed and MP work but that makes me nervous of getting injured again. I found I was very tired early last week and eating a bit more made me feel stronger

Bro-eagerly anticipating your race report here

• FRC - great effort in Malta...very solid as you build up towards Comrades. Good stuff from Mrs FRC too image

2old - the difference with me and Minni (and others) is that we do plently of LSRs much slower than MP, at least MP + 60 (like Ant says too). Yesterday for me was all about seeing how I felt with the pace at the end!
  • Agree with Freemers, 2old. If I ran my long runs at your pace I'd be benched by now.  Even the P&D rule of MP +20% for the first half and +10% for the second is hard work and I've only done that once. I'm quite happy to plod along at 8:40 ish mm over 22 and feel fresh at the end. The MP runs are different and prefer their pace to be spot on. Sometimes it works (like yesterday), sometimes I struggle (2 weeks ago).

• Quick pop in to say congratulations to Bro on a fantastic PB image Much deserved.

Got back from France on Saturday evening after a great week's skiing. Mixed weather - some days of snow and poor visibility, others brilliant sunshine, but great snow all week. Managed to get out for a couple of 4-5 mile runs around the lake in Tignes - running in the Alpine scenery was lovely, although had to keep it steady as I only had my racing flats, not my trail shoes (thought I'd be running in the gym, but outside was much more appealing as the weather wasn't too cold).

Skiing all day for six days solid obviously takes it out of you though, so the 20 I intended to do yesterday became a 15. Heartrate was fairly low, but the legs just didn't want to know. 8:09mm average. 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Yep I do a lot of long runs much slower and the faster ones aren't all at that average pace but generally start much slower.   In fact, I was thinking towards the end of my run yesterday that next week I probably need a much slower one to give me longer on my feet.    Agree with Freemers Like Chick, I would be injured doing lots of faster miles.

2old - sometimes I don't do much MP work at all until the taper.

O4S - so long as you get yourself to London. image

FRC - Well done at Malta.  How long did you run at 7:20 for? 

• FRC -  Good effort in Malta and well done/congrats to your OH.

Carrot /Freemers- Strong 20s in the conditions.

Chick -  Very good MP miles.

O4S -  Impressive weekend's running.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Actually I was just thinking about what I put there about not running that fast because I'd get injured.  In reality I just couldn't run that fast for every run, full stop!!  image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Free/Chick/Minni- thanks for the input on LRs. I guess I use MP+10% as my guide . My problem is that I want them over as soon as. Still I'm looking at a 22 LR this weekend and am thinking around 8.15 .Does that sound right if I had 7.15 mm as my PMP? 

Chick- I struggle with those accurately paced  runs unless it's a race or a TM. 

Daren- Aaaagh reading your post makes me want to book flights and hit the Alps. Good to see the trip went well and you got some runs in. With luck you may see the benefits of being in altitude over the next couple of weeks. 

Just over 10 miles today done as 5.5k warm up, 5k HMP ,5k MP and some recovery time. Overall 7.22mm Av. 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

2old - why don't you do a duration run and go for 3:15 regardless of distance.  This is a great way to make sure you don't go too fast as it makes no difference - you're not finished any quicker. image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Minni- I might do 26.2 ! image