RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Minni- 35000 + posts if I'm not mistaken. Some like to chat a lot. 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

My goodness - well spotted!

• Nice little track session in the sun this morning:
    3 x 30sec, 3 x 45sec, 3 x 60 sec & 3 x 90 sec off jog recoveries of 200m.  All nicely under 6:00 pace so legs can move quickly again after Saturday's 20 - they just need to learn to love those 20s a bit more!

Club run this evening, rest day tomorrow.

• Minni: it would take a lot to stop me being at the green start party image

Club run tonight - need to work off my frustrations at the snail like pace our house move is proceeding at image

• wow, busy chattering on here today image

fantastic weekend of running, great long runs + excellent races, so nice to see all your hard training bringing in the dividends image

Minni - Mr Kiwi does love his park run nowadays, he isn't a speedster but got a p.b by 1 minute on Saturday + he's lost just over 1 k.g each week in the past 2 weeks, so all heading in the right direction!

• Happy 35th Birthday thread!

Good call on reversing the 20 yesterday O4S, no need to be running into the wind for 20M!

Very casual 3:24 there FRC, congrats to Mrs FRC on her PB too.

Chick I hate when the weather is good on a rest day! Seems like the last few Mondays have been perfect weather for running when I have REST on the plan.  Stick to the rest day!

2old my average paces for my long runs have ranged from 7:52 for a 20M (that included 10 at marathon pace) to just under 8:40 for a 22M.  To be honest I think the longer, slower one took more out of me!  As per Minni's advice, try a duration run. 

Nice weight loss from Mr Kiwi,that's great that he's got the parkrun bug. 

Looking forward to hearing Bro's race report image

The taper has begun with a rest day!  Still a few tough sessions to get done before going mad, including 15M with 10M at marathon pace, 10M with 6M at 10K pace, 8M with 4 at 10K pace, a track session, the club handicap.... who said tapering was easy!!

• FRC - Great times for you and Mrs FRC. Has that time got you up the grid for Comrades?

Daren - Sneaky altitude training, pretending you're really skiingimage.

40 - Nice track sesh.

Went hiking to The Lakes today, round Rydal Water, nothing too high, but 7.36m in pretty nice weather. The good news, no achilles probs, and shoulder ok with a 30L backpack on my back. 

• FRC - knocking out a 3:24 casually. I almost killed myself doing a 3:25 last year. 

Simon - no trail running in the Lakes? Mate of mind did the Grizedale trail 26 there on the weekend. Weather was not meant to have been very pleasant.

Carrot - taper already. Way-hey. Is Parsnip doing Barca as well? Going to catch some footie while you are out there. I was at Highbury on Saturday watching Sunderland getting spankedimage

12 miles into work this morning. Gorgeous weather. Sun out, full on t-shirt weather, blossom on all the trees. Definite whiff of Spring in the air.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

40mins- good pacey intervals , keep up the LRs and your legs will love them 

Carrot- I agree that the longer and slower they are the harder they seem. Maybe that's the point. Don't know how people can run marathons over 5 hours..much tougher than   3.10-3.30. Enjoy the taper.  Rest days are hard .Are you doing VLM too?

Simon- hope the rain held off in the Lakes as it was one of the most pleasant days of the year here until this evening . Glad the problem bits are ok

Ant- if you have to go to work thats the best way. im with you on FRCs result

Kiwi- what's his weight loss secret... I need to lose some but if I cut down my training suffers. 

O4S- no doubt you'll get a call saying everyone is ready to move on the Friday before VLM like I did before the race in 2012. 

• 2old - Yes my problem bits are ok for now.

Ant - No trail running, my mate I went with isn't that fit, so hiking was the limit.
  • Hi everyone! I'm back. Sorry about the late check in but I knew with the tracking and facebook the news would filter through.image

I'll catch up properly in a second but here's the race report.

So Seville… was awesome! Everything went according to plan. Got there on Friday afternoon and went straight to the expo which was a much smaller affair than the VLM. Saturday was spent checking out the sites. Tried not to do too much walking but Seville is stunning so it wasn’t easy… Made sure a lot of sitting down in cafes and chilling out on the banks of Gladalquivir was included.

The start was a 20min walk from the hotel. Got there in plenty of time. Hardly any queues for the toilets, very well organised so very low stress levels. We set off at 9 to the sounds of ‘We’re on the road to hell’ (must be a Spanish thing, they played the same song in San Sebastian).

I was going to stay just below 7.35 but the night before I’d realised that I can’t manually lap on my new garmin (the time- average lap data display is not there- grrrrrr) so went with what gps was saying. It meant that I was aware it was going to overmeasure and I needed to go slightly quicker. The first half flew by. 7.31, 7.30, 7.30, 7.33, 7.31, 7.33, 7.36, 7.33, 7.31, 7.34, 7.33, 7.27, 7.36. I felt great, the sun was shining but there was a nice chill in the air and a lot of the course was shaded so it felt just right. Very few women taking part so there was a lot of ‘guapa’ and ‘campeona’ shouting coming from the sidelines which was nice.

Past 13m and still felt very good. Miles 13-20; 7.24, 7.29, 7.35, 7.33, 7.28, 7.42, 7.33. I think the 3rd 10km split was faster than the 2nd. That’s when it started hurting a bit. I reached for my last gel and realised that it wasn’t there, it must’ve fallen out of my belt. It threw me a bit but fortunately I managed to grab one from the next feeding station. It went down well and I carried on. The sun was really shining by this point and we turned back into the city centre which was very exposed with no shade and I started getting hot and bothered.

From around 23 miles it felt tough tough tough. I started slowing down a bit more at the water stations to make sure I got enough water in and cooled myself down with sponges which must have cost me good 30-40s in total but I knew I needed to do that to keep on going. The last 6m were 7.53, 7.43, 7.34, 7.51, 8.06, 8.14. It felt like a slow death but looking at the splits it was really only the last two miles where I slowed down significantly.

I saw Mr Brol at 38km and he knew better than to tell me I was almost there but he later told me I looked a lot more comfortable at that stage that in any other marathon he’d seen me. It most certainly didn’t feel comfortable.!

Then the stadium was there, through a tunnel and one lap around. I looked at my watch and saw 3.21, somehow found it in me to speed up on the last straight and overtake a few people. Done!

Official result 3.21.14. I came 1998th out of 7925 and 43rd woman out of 657. 11th in my age category. Not exactly 3.20 but close enough and I can honestly say that I ran my heart out and there wasn’t anything else left in the legs. Very very happy with that.imageimageimageimage

Thank you for all the kind words and to those who bothered to track me. I know it was a stressful morning for Minni, especially that my last split didn't come up on time. I had an amazing time in Seville, it's agreat place and I would definitely recommend the race.

Attempted to drink my body

• weight in in wine but it didn't quite work out.. I think all that time spent on the wagon has turned me into a bit of a lightweight... but we had some amazing food and a few drinks to celebrate.

My legs are completely shot and I can hardly walk so very glad I'm allowed to work from home today.

Bring on York!image

• Bro - amazing day for you - really good pacing and everyone's allowed to slow down a tad in the last couple of miles! It was a really strong performance and a well deserved shiny new PB image

I'm glad the lost gel didn't throw you - I'm having issues with my gel belt at the moment and they keep falling out, which is OK on my long runs as I hear them fall and can go back to retrieve them. No chance of that in a crowded race though. I will make sure I get a new belt before VLM.
  • Some great running from everyone.image

Free- another strong 20m from you. Not throwing up is always a bonus!

Minni- some speedy miles there!

Chick- yes, you're right... we wouldn've been running at a similar pace on Sunday.image Great run and sounds like you got a lot of confidence from it.

AA- can't believe it's Reading half already... It's the first time in 4 years I'm not doing it! Enjoy the taper.

Barry- boo. So sorry to hear about the calf. Hopefully it can still get sorted.

Carrot- great running from you in tough conditions. I hate running in the wind. Another 20 banked! Enjoy taper madness... I'm glad it's not me!image

FRC- very well done on a sensible run and congrats to Mrs FRC.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Brilliant report Brolish. I'm so pleased you nailed it.  You worked so hard in training and put up with a lot of ups and downs but got the ultimate reward in the end.  So, what next...?

• Brol -  Very well done and great report, your pacing was impressive throughout the race.image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Bro- superb bit of running - really enjoyed your excellent report. Its a reminder to us all how tough 26.2 is and how strong we all have to be to get the best out of it.  I expected nothing less than to see you gave everything and your legs were shot at. Enjoy a few days rest.

Minni-maybe Bro will be at the Green Start in a month and a halfimage

Barry- hows the calf? Are you or Carrot next? We could do with Minni puttting up a list

10miles today-about 3 warm up and 7 of hills around 7.45 pace including the warm up jog. My Brooks 10 are at 450 miles so looks like Im going to have to splash out again.

• Thanks guys.

2Old- fast hill work!

Minni- I'm banned from running for a week and then I'm off for two weeks to Thailand so there won't be any structured running happening until I come back. After that it's onto 10/ 5kms (sigh) and possibly a half marathon in the summer (I need to see what I can find) before starting training for York. I think if I want to get closer to 3.15 in York I really need to get my half time down so that's the next challenge.

• Excellent race report, Bro and so very well deserved. Amazing!

Carrot wrote (see)

Happy 35th Birthday thread!

Good call on reversing the 20 yesterday O4S, no need to be running into the wind for 20M!

Very casual 3:24 there FRC, congrats to Mrs FRC on her PB too.

Chick I hate when the weather is good on a rest day! Seems like the last few Mondays have been perfect weather for running when I have REST on the plan.  Stick to the rest day!

2old my average paces for my long runs have ranged from 7:52 for a 20M (that included 10 at marathon pace) to just under 8:40 for a 22M.  To be honest I think the longer, slower one took more out of me!  As per Minni's advice, try a duration run. 

Nice weight loss from Mr Kiwi,that's great that he's got the parkrun bug. 

Looking forward to hearing Bro's race report image

The taper has begun with a rest day!  Still a few tough sessions to get done before going mad, including 15M with 10M at marathon pace, 10M with 6M at 10K pace, 8M with 4 at 10K pace, a track session, the club handicap.... who said tapering was easy!!

Oh wow, the next one in taper mode. Blimey, but they do come around quick. Having said that, the forthcoming sessions don't look much like taper stuffimage

In the end I gave in last night and had a leetle 4.5 mile jog with Mr. Chick. His pace is very slow and I think it did me some good image

Double today: 6 in the morning and 4 at lunchtime. Beautiful day. I packed completely the wrong clothes with tights, a jacket and a hat! Had to open my jacket and take the hat off!! Idiot, shoul have checked the forecast ... :-/

Probably another double tomorrow. It's intervals and I don't much like the P&D thing of making you run 11 miles with 5 x 1200s in there. I tend to split the run into 5 easy ones in the morning and a proper session with reps in the evening.

• col.col. ✭✭✭

Excellent report Brolish. Your PB is very well deserved. I think you will do well to focus on shorter distances for the summer. That's what I did last year and it worked for me in my autumn marathon where i went sub 3:15 from a pb of 3:21.

FRC -  3:24 is a brilliant time for a casual marathon. Well done.

Track session tonight - 12 x 400m with 1 min recovery.

• Carrot not long to go now - i'm keeping my fingers crossed that all will be well for Barry

FRC - congratulations to you & Mrs FRC on your times

Brilliant report Bro & congrats on the PB which is well deserved.

Chick great double

Col enjoy the track session

They're back - 3 miles of hills this lunchtime & despite the hailstones I enjoyed every minute. image

Downloaded the Warwick HM route as well today & I now know what to expect & the course isn't too bad.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Bro-,great way to recover from a marathon

Chick- naughty not resting yesterday though I think very easy recovery runs can be better than total rest . Like the idea of splitting the P&D sessions too. It's a good way of doing the miles but reducing the risk of injury. 

Col- didn't you do a lot of 10s instead of MLRs? How did you structure them?

Pink- back to the hills ! Isn't that a Heavy Metal song..no it's 'run for the hills'. When is Warwick..Bet your itching to run it 

• Fantastic report Bro, you did great holding it together when the going got tough.  The DOMS is always worth it when you've achieved such a good result.  The standard has been set for the rest of us!

Ant yeah I don't think we turned up on Saturday imageI tried to convince Parsnip to run Barcelona with me as it'll just be a decent training run for him but he was having none of it!  He's just coming along for the break, chance to do a nice long run in Barcelona on the Saturday too image

2old no I'm not doing VLM...

Chick that another thing I didn't enjoy about P&D, the feeling that you HAD to do a lot of warm up miles before a hard intervals session.  11M is a lot to be doing when there's less than 4M of quality work in there - good idea to split it up a bit.

Hope the 400s went well Col!

Calf update Barry?

Track Tuesday done tonight, I've said it before but I really do love the track sessions.

• Bro - Great race report, you deserve some cervazas, sub 3:15 next.

Chick - Good doubles.

2old - Yes your thinking of this track by Iron Maiden.... 

http://youtu.be/eDd-GXkMrJs

Carot - What did you do at the track?

Col - How were your 400's?

• 2old Work has been really busy so im very glad to run to the hills at lunchtimes image

Warwick HM is the 23rd March a week after I cheer Barry on in Barcelona.  I'm definitely looking forward to it as its my hometown image

• Bro - excellent report. I'm absolutely delighted for you and soooo well deserved. Will miss you in the pen on sunday. 

Carrot - omg you're up next! How are you feeling? Taper madness. Dreams?

pink - loving hills?! You really are a mad runner now!

chick - that wasn't much time in between a double!

ive got Reading on Sunday so have scrapped any longer runs this week. I did 7 miles yesterday with 10x200m sprints and seem to have hurt my hip flexor image it's really sore so I am not running today.  There's always something hey! 

• boo hoo, AA! Hope it settles before the HM on Sunday.

It's gorgeous here at the mo and I thoroughly enjoyed my 5m plod this morning. The birds were singing and there was zero wind for once. Just great.

Intervals tonight then. I really don't know what P&D were thinking when they put the sessions together. 11 miles with speedwork sucks. Either you do a mega long warm-up and are fatigued before you start with the speedier stuff (injury risk!!) or you do them at the beginning and have to slog out another 5 or so miles to cool-down (why??).

Hope track went well col. I like 400s image

• Col- that's a lot of 400s. Hope it went well.

Pink- nice hill running.

AA- ouch! Good call to rest today. What's the target for Sunday?

Chick- nice trendy 5 miler this morningimage. Good luck with the intervals later. I don't mind doing a long warm up before a quality session but do struggle with a long cool down...

I can almost walk again like a human being today.image 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Pink - when is Warwick?

AA - Blooming heck. Take a couple of days rest and I'm sure it will be fine for the weekend.

Brol - Good news!  Our bodies do take a good bashing in a marathon.

Carrot /Chick - I agree!  11 miles with intervals is a huge session and I would split it too.

How were the 400s Col?

Barry - any improvement?

I did intervals early doors this morning - 3 miles warm up with the dog then dropped her at home and back out for 6 x 400m intervals.  I've never done intervals so early and didn't expect anything too speed.  However, once I dropped the dog off it was light enough that I could see on the country lanes (around 6:15am) and that really helped.   They were all around 90 seconds with the last one at 86 seconds.  Another boost.  image

• Chick - yeah i agree - it does look long. I have to deal with it as well next week. I am planning doing a 5 mile easy pace run, grab my bag from home, jog to the track and do the repeats there with the club. I suppose the idea is that you do the intervals after you have some miles in your legs, because it is marathon after all. There is also no danger of doing them too quickly then!

AA - fingers crossed nowt serious

I went out for my 7M LT session this lunchtime (as part of an 11M run), but bailed and turned it into a 6M easy. Just was knackered today. Swapped it with Friday's run on the fly, cos that's how I roll. Unfortunately it means I need to do the damn session on Friday now!