RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

Nice one AA Congratulations image

Barry set off ok so I have popped home with our youngest for a bit as she still isn't great but getting there. Heading to Stonehenge shortly to see them all arrive back.

• wow, well done A.A!

Is Barry running a marathon today? hope it is going well! Pink - swimming training sounds difficult, must be a great fitness builder tho.

frc - amazing, i'm another who couldn't contemplate anything longer than a marathon!

K.F.C, O.4.S + B.A, hope the racing has gone well this weekend.

Minni - your line up of races is most impressive! I'm holding off booking anything until I'm convinced  the knee is 100%.

lovely 7 miles in the sunshine this morn, had to download the runkeeper app as Mr Kiwi firgot to turn my garmin off after his parkrum ysteday and the battery was dead, grr! surprisingly liked runkeeper, every 5 mins a vkixe told you time, milage + pace, good alternative if needed.

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Quick hello from Williams, Arizona. Off to the Grand Canyon now. This trip is awesome. We love it.

AA: great ykw image

Sorry, not enough time to read +post much image will catch up properly when we are back home.

I try to run must days as long as there's a treadmill but never manage more than 30 mins before losing the will to live :-/. Did an amazing run at sunrise in Monument Valley though. That was an hour and just wonderful. Trying to ignore that constant back pain image

See ya and good luck to anyone racing this WE image
  • Kfc: hope your race went well

FRC: nice ultra.

AA: yahoo.

Barry: hope the Neolithic went well, its been on my bucket list for years.

A quick 9a Marathon for me today, North Dorset Village Marathon organised by my second string club around the villages, all the places I cycle through. Not exactly flat!

Was running with a club mate who had a PB of 4-37, i told him we could improve on that but i didnt tell him by how much I had in mind.  A little different to Boston, 375 entries and the odd spectator dotted along the course. 10K came up in 56 mins, half in 1-55 and we cruised through the finish in 3-51, so pretty much even splits. Club mate was rather pleased with a 46 minute PB. I was happy enough with a 10 minute improvement over Boston, clearly that long training run worked and this time we ran the whole way. Now to get fit and go sub 3-30 again.

• kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

speedy stuff AA

Very nice 26.2 lsr there DD - its just brilliant helping someone to a massive PB.

Nice run kiwi - hope the knee is happy?

FRC - well done on the 52 image

I was shit!  Went off unrealistically fast and was hanging on from 2 miles in.  Last 5 miles were horrible!  Am sure I ended up running slower than I usually do for my tempo runs on that course.  Just about hung on for 5th lady, BH not as far behind me as I'd like.  Knackered now.  

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    FRC- outstanding ultra running there sir.

Not really tired from Boston. Just feeling a bit like

I have unfinished business.

DD- sneaky 26.2. Very respectable too. Do you think Boston came a bit too soon. Was this one a bit less hilly?

AA- blimey that was fast. Great ykw

Kfc- sounds like a tough one but good placing there

Barry - hope it went well today. Calf ok with compression sleeves

A sort of brick session for an hour of spinning plus just over 4 miles at 7.19mm.
  • Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi 2old, easing back into things?

Hi FRC, Well done on the Malvern run, I hope the weather was good so you could get the lovely views up there?

Hi Pink, You would have to be careful diving into those balcony pools !

Hi AA, Good running ;0)

Hi kiwi, Always nice to run in the sun, not a common feature up here I am afraid...

Hi Chick, Are you taking in all the states??

Hi DD, Good running and for helping out your pal to a 46 min PB. Sounds like he had no choice in the matter ;0)

Hi kfc, Sorry to hear Dunblane didn't go well, move on and forget eh?

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Thanks for the advice guys. I have signed up for Loch Leven, I will see how I feel on the day. I will try not to bust a gut....

I scrapped running Portobello to North Berwick 21 miler yesterday. I contemplated so long and then had a look and it had sold out, so decision made for me thankfully. Instead went out with a pal who was running a 22 miler today. I left him at mile 14 as he was heading in a different route to me back home. I opted for the climb back home image  I ended up running 22 miles myself. Times were a bit up and down as we were trying to keep to his pace but kept going quicker, so avg pace came out at 8:11. Nice mild morning though....

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Nell - very good 23 there. Is it taper time now. You must be quietly confident for the 25th.
  • AA -  Nicely done and congrats on the first place. I'm convinced the more we run the more we take for granted the speed we run at and it does n't feel quick anymore but we still keep going. Today was fun in a masochistic way.

kiwi - Methinks Mr Kiwi needs to buy himself a garmin or is it his birthday soon.

kfc - I can imagine BH seeing you in the distance and slowly reeling  you in. Put it behind you and book the next race,

DD - Very nice mara and hope you were bought a few beers for your services.

Nell - Nice long run and if you're the same as me you will race the HM.image But I did find today struggle later on, raced a HM last weekend, link maybeimage.

Neolithic Marathon today, bit of a late start 10.30 had no plans just set off not too quick and see how it went. Hilly for first half, left calf went tight on second hill, could feel it but no problem running on it. Route was a mixture of grassy tracks, boggy fields, lanes, and across Salisbury plain rutted/stony tracks. Saw some war games taking place.

Through halfway in 1:45 and all good, started to struggle from 19 onwards and walked through most water stns. Mainly 8:xx in the second half  a couple of 9 min/miles later on.  Weak headwind all the way due to it being point to point and a little bit too sunny for my liking. 

Saw Stonehenge and thought nearly there mile marker said 25( they'd not been too accurate all day) but my garmin said just over 24, but we turned away from Stonehenge and up gentle climb for the next mile, overtook a few,  then downhill to the finish.  Well organised event and lots of chat with the walkers doing the same course.  Finished in 3:37 I think, was so tired forgot to stop garmin but I think it auto stopped but I'm sure clock was showing 3:37.  Good to see Pink with youngest at finish, long way from Stonhenge to Swindon without a lift. Good day even if a toughie. I have iced the calf and does n't seem too bad but  no doubt will find out tomorrow.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Barry- well done knocking out a less than straight forward marathon today so soon after your other races ...hope you had a few drinks to celebrate and dull the aches and  Pains 

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Barry - that's a great run image

AA - nice ykw!

kfc - I think we've all had races like that...never pleasant!

Painful massage on Saturday - left foot and calf....I just hope it does some good as it bloody hurt! She wants me back again next week for more of the same, so still no running, but hopefully the end is in sight. I'm not feeling any pain walking now, which is good, although it still hurts when I get the golf ball rolling on it.
  • Barry: good running, might have to do that one next year.

kfc: next time

Nell: a good confidence building long run.

2old: it was probably hillier than Boston but they didn't come all at once, i only ran three time between Boston and this one, cycled a lot though. I think Boston just gave me the belief that i could still do this stuff.

Nothing for me today, for some reason i feel a bit stiff 

• Freemers - Good news on the recovery, no pain no gainimage.  Any plans for racing when you get back to running apart from York/Abo?

2old - Lightweight I am pint of cider and a glass of white, and that was me nodding off.

Official results in 3:37:36 and 26 place, massive gap between winner(2:51 impressive) and 2nd (3:13). Swimming practice for me this morning and legs felt much better after.

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    I completely missed that DD had snuck in a 9a marathon - well done!

I managed to do something to my hip getting off the bike at the gym today - felt something pull and now it hurts to walk. Bugger! Hopefully it'll settle down, and so long as I can still cycle I can keep that up at least. Just not what I needed (angry face)...
  • Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi 2old, I feel the training has gone better this time than the last marathon (not sure if I am being complacent though). I will see how I feel in a couple of weeks. How is the calf getting on?

Hi Freemers, Glad to hear the foot and calf are improving.

Hi DD, Hope you are feeling a bit more fresher ;0)

Hi Barry, Good run yesterday, you sound like my kind of drinking partner, I am equally lightweight :0)

Rest day today, may have a recovery run later, see how the day goes. Once again thanks for the advice on Loch Leven guys, after hearing what Barry had to say combined with 2old the thinking at the moment is to run at MP. That is what the head is saying...It makes sense though.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Nell- trouble is I'm abit of a lightweight too..a couple of drinks and I'm into hangover land. The hard bit will be being disciplined to stay at MP for the HM. Now you need to pray its cool on 25th

Barry- 3.13 for second place? I'd be wondering' what if' and it shows how good your time was 

DD- you're spot on. A major part of running is self belief ( and in your case a lot experience and bike miles )

Free- looks like your making progress. 

• PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

DD good running there & great that you also helped someone out

KFC Sorry to hear Dunblane didn't go so well but good that you got a placing

Free goods news that you have no more pain

Nell I would class myself as a lightweight too, but i'm sure Barry will beg to differ image

Enjoyed watching the Neolithic marathon yesterday although not a great place for me to be my hayfever played havoc!

Up & out early this morning for swimming and after completing 1,600 metres of training we then had race sprints. image

• Hi gang, been AWOL as the keyboard on my laptop was kaput so have been waiting for the new one to arrive.  Lots to catch up on!

Barry nicely done in your HM last week, sounds like a tough marathon yesterday! Can't have taken too much out of you if you've been in the pool today.

DD well done on the sneaky marathon yesterday! Really well paced, your club mate must have been over the moon with that. 

Hope you had a nice holiday Freemers? You definitely made the right decision at London if your foot is still painful now.  And now the hip! image

Three runs a week sounds like a good plan Kiwi, it means you can use the extra days to keep up the cross training and remain strong and injury free. 

Cooks it might be worth investing in a few swimming lessons to get your technique right?

Race plans look very good for the next few months Minni! Is 9th June Blaydon? Which new parkrun is this?  I'm neutral and have always run in Mizuno Wave Rider.  I've also got a pair of the Sayonara, they're great for races.  My calves used to feel a bit battered when I first started running in them but they seem to have adapted now!

Yours too O4S, get that relay done on 21st June rather than the 21M.  Hope the weekend 100 went well.

AA that's a storming effort at parkrun on Saturday, well done!  Kebab and chips must have done some good.  You're supposed to feel like puking, they're short and fast!

Sounds like a great holiday Chick, can't beat a bit of holiday running too. 

Some decent training coming from you Daren, that HM is getting smashed with all of the miles you've been putting in.

Of course you'll make the start of the tri 2old! Will you be having an easier week this week?

Hope the taper goes well Nell! I wouldn't race a HM two weeks out from a marathon.  Are there any 10Ks you can do instead?  A few miles either side of a flat out 10K effort would be a decent session. 

Well done on the 52M FRC.  Sounds like a hard day out.

Decent placing yesterday KFC! Those races are horrible when you go off a little too quick, can't complain with 5th lady. 

Did Sunderland HM yesterday.  I'd not really trained for it, just been ticking over since Barcelona on around 40M a week with the usual track session and a parkrun on a Saturday.  I know all races are hard but half marathons are such tough races! Didn't really have a time goal in mind, I ran with a friend from the club and managed 1:30:25 official result.  Watch time was 16s slower, not sure how that works?!  Shouldn't complain I guess. 

• PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

Nice to see you back Carrot & congrats on your HM time image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Carrot- welcome back. Great HM ..bet you muttered a few expletives over those 25seconds. Impressive training too 

Barry- well done to you getting in the pool today

DD- hats off to you doing that maratjon so soon after Boston ..you are tough

having seen the grit of DD Barry FRC and O4S I wondered how  I'd deal with a LR ( longish) so ran 16 miles earlier today average 7.40 mm with the majority 7.30-7.35 mm . I'm not sure I'd have managed another 10 though. 

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

I hurt...... a lot! image  BA has had to take a day off work as he can barely put his feet to the floor [and what did his last slave die of I wonderimage  BUT, we both finished and lived to tell the tales.  When I have worked my way down my inbox I will do a report - so be prepared for, quite literally, blood, sweat and if not exactly tears, not far off.  And who exactly thought this would be a good idea...............................

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

O4S-I would send you a 'get well soon card' but you are only going to do it again so wont waste the stampimage

Saw this physio earlier who says my calf is still swollen from Boston, that this is limiting the movement of my left leg and I should take care that I dont end up with other injuries(knee/achilles/back) until its resolved.imageStill she didnt say I couldnt do the tri on Sundayimage

• Quick check in.  Barry - well done on grinding it out, I've not heard of that marathon but sounds interesting.  Now I have heard of the Dorset Village Marathon - tidy run DD! I'm sure that 3.30 shape will be quick to achieve.  Does the event live up to all the positive feedback I've read? It is on my bucket list......

I raced yesterday - the local 10 miler, was a bit hot (2.30 start too) but managed to pb in 65 and a half mins (exact time outstanding).  Only my second 10 miler so it was a very soft pb previously.  Am kind of pleased with it but did tail off a bit in the last 2-3 miles......

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Cooks-pretty good looking 10 miler to me , nice one

• Carrot - Well done on the HM , good time.

Cooks - Very tasty 10 miler.

O4S -  looking forward to your report.

2old - Decent 16 miles, did you tell the physio about it or keep it quiet.

Swimming practice again this morning, avoiding running as legs feeling a bit mashed, massage tomorrow will hopefully help.

• Hi all, while since I last posted, I enjoy reading but hard to find time to post, I know how good you guys are though so was hoping for a little advice.

I did VLM this year in 3:32 (officially)  and recently got my place for Paris 2015.

I want to get my marathon time down to 3hrs dead or just under. What time 5ks and 10ks do I need to aim for do you guys think? And what is the best way of getting there do you reckon?

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Barry- legs mashed ? Think that will be an understatement. Yes I told the physio as I did the run to test the calf etc before seeing her. Can't understand why she shook her head in disgust. How long do you think you need to recover from a marathon before running a decent marathon ? I know after yesterday that I've still got a bit (lot) more recovery to do. 

Fazza- Hi.  Good going at VLM. Some here have run Paris too. The nearest I've got to 3hrs is 3.09. When I up my training to get nearer 3 my body rebels and I get injured. Try the 3.15 thread. I'm not quite under 40mins for 10k so others might be able to help but really it's about adding fast intervals and tempos and 5ks to your longer runs 

a swim for me today 4x500m. Ironically since my marathon my weight has dropped off and I'm at my lowest for as long as I can remember.  

• Carrot: tidy half.

Cooks; speedy 10. NDVM is pretty good, scenic, well organised, flat for Dorset, nice empty roads, good pubs afterwards!

O4S: i suppose you expected to be able to run a marathon this morning? Congrats to you and BA on yet another bout of lunacy.

2old; how long between marathons depends how hard you pushed the first one, i felt better on Sunday than i did in Boston, experience has taught me that if i mash myself it takes 5 weeks to be able to do it again. What do physios know?

Fazza; i would say you need to be down around 18 & 37 for the 5 & 10K, i would race a lot of 10k's and the rest is hard work, intervals, tempo.

Forty eight miles on the bike for me, surprisingly my average speed was the same as normal despite tight calf muscles. I included the marathon route, amazing how much i had blanked out!

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

Valleys 100 Report:

Overview:   Hot, long, hilly, boggy, stony [when not boggy], tough, tough, tough.......

BA and I were never going to do this together so I said farewell at 10.00am Saturday and picked him up again at 8.00am Monday.  We both have trashed feet [mine are approximately the size of the Isle of Wight] but I have had a few more hours sleep to counteract the three falls I had on stony tracks on my way round [more to follow].

No point trying to do a detailed report for an event that goes on for over a day, so here is a synopsis to give you a flavour.  First 32 miles, not bad terrain although plenty of stony tracks.  Hotter than originally suggested by the forecast so I think I must have got a bit dehydrated.  One of the worst climbs of the whole event came between 25 and 30 miles and by the time I got to Checkpoint 4 at 32 miles I was really struggling and my back was very sore.  I realised that I must be dehydrated and drank 4 mugs of water, had 2 Ibuprofen and gathered myself together before realising that it was starting to cool down.  The next section was the easiest on the route with only about 700 feet of ascent and I managed to run the whole thing, thereby catching up with the girl in front of me.  At the next check we had one hour of daylight left so we decided to tackle the hours of darkness together.

At this point the race is on to get as far as possible in daylight so we set off at a cracking pace.  The terrain now changed completely to wet fields, stiles, bogs and stony tracks - all of which make it difficult to maintain any sort of consistent pace.  We got very wet feet on this section, but it was as nothing compared to what was to come image.  In the first section tackled totally in the dark we had to cross Gelligaer Common for 1000 yards on a compass bearing.  It is very rough, it is very boggy and on a couple of occasions I went in over the top of both trainers - however that was as nothing compared to the glutinous clay just before we got to the safety of a farm track.  I went in knee deep and didn't think I was going to get my leg out with the shoe still attached.  Fortunately I just about managed it but a friend some way behind went in waist deep and it required 2 people to haul him out image

Now with saturated feet and mud in the shoes the stony tracks became a bit of a trial, but we managed to stay on course all the way to the breakfast point at 57 miles, where you are allowed to have a small bag with change of clothes etc.  When I went to sit down I realised that I couldn't!!!  My quads had simply locked solid from having to brake coming down steep slippery slopes off the hills and  although I eventually managed to get on a chair I could manage to change anything and had to be helped back out image