RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

KFC: Ventoux is my all time favourite - have been up three times, once from each direction. Enjoy! 

• kfc - enjoy, maybe run up Ventoux for a bit of hill work.image

Swimming went well Friday, as did second club session yesterday, bit concerned I would be up to speed but all good.  15 miles slow this morning in 2 hours ,legs a bit tired after previous days efforts, then another hour in the pool this afternoon, loving it.image

• Barry + Pink good to see your swimming is going well.

K.F.C - your cycle event sounds hard core, enjoy (if that is even possible!)

2old - boo, hope the back is only a temporary blip, you were doing so well!

Chick - you'll be excited about tonight, really hoping Germany wins!

• Cooks, Barry + Col great race results last week! you've inspired me to build the confidence and book a 10km + half mara for September, should have some speed back by then!

finally a good week running this week after last week's fall, 5 miles with x4 800s Tues, 7 miles Fri + 12 today and the garmin average today started with a 9 not a 10, so headung the right direction image

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

yeeeeeahhh imageimageimage   after 24 years we finally did it again. Boy, but why did they have us on tenterhooks for 112 minutes?????  Argentina was real good and at times I thought they would win. But well happy now. Sat at my desk nursing a sore head but so is the rest of the team image

Nice running kiwi image

kfc: get some running in, FFS image

2Old wrote (see)

Looks like I'm out if the game again- back injury has returned and even worse so has the knot in my left calf. cant run at all. at the moment image

Oh no image   Did you lift sacks of horse feed again?? Gutted for you image Hope you recover soon.

Lazy weekend away for me with zero running and obviously no running this morning. I may drag my lazy arse out tonight for a trendy 5.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Chick-you have every reason to feel jaded today.It would be a national holiday here if we had won it( no chance).Great team and well desrved winners.I think they will dominate for some time to come. I think the back is the previous injury flaring up again for some reason-possibly connected to the calf trouble. I had planned a cheeky HM yestrday but that was a no no.

Kiwi-its the calf thats worrying me more than the back.You are making great progress and its good to see that translate into race plans

O4S-cant understand what you guys see in going up those hills-that s what chair lifts are forimage A member of our local cycle club is going to the L'Etape on a 70's Chopper bike. Why????

Barry-great stuff-the accummulated training is bound to make you feel tired.Any niggles?Caution

Pink-thanks-are you worrying about the prospect of Barry tapping your toes in the pool?

2k swim this lunch time. Graduation celebrations for No2 son this week so will use it as another recovery week

• PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

Nice one Kiwi

Congratulations Chick very well deserved. I didn't stay awake to watch the final! Enjoy the celebrations image

2Old I'm definitely worried about Barry tapping my feet image Sorry to hear your woes. I hope that you start to feel better soon. Enjoy your son's graduation.

Went out 16 miles on the bike yesterday, thought I would follow the Tri cycle route but came a cropper when one of the roads were closed due to the Airshow traffic. Decided to be clever & took a sharpe turn & landed in a bush of nettles! I couldn't stop laughing. A couple of cuts & a few stings but I managed to make it home.

Went swimming yesterday afternoon for an hour with Barry, which was good. Started HM training plan this morning with a 4 mile steady run before work.

• 2old - Mighty impressed by your swimming enjoy the celebrations.  No niggles for me but with my history no doubt something will go mid September about 4 or 5 weeks before Abo.

Kiwi - Very good running from you, I reckon you will peak perfectly for Abingdon.image

Chick - Belated congrats for sunday, what's it like to have a world beating football team.  None of the English players would get into your team, very sad for English football.

13 mile blast on the bike yesterday and 6 miles with middle 4 quick this afternoon very hot and was feeling it splits for the quick 6:16, 6:39,6:43,6:24.

• col.col. ✭✭✭

Kiwi - it's great to see you entering races. Great progress.

Chickadee - enjoy the celebrations. The best team won.

kfc - enjoying the cycling!

Barry - good swimming. Fast tempo and 15m in 2 hours sounds quick to me.

Pinklady - good work on the bike. Watch out for the sharp turns! A few weeks I came off my bike on a sharp turn.

2old - I hope your back and calf are getting better.    

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

It was good fun and the boys got a heroes' welcome in Berlin yesterday. TBH, I had no clue they would be this good. I had my bets on Spain and Brazil (we did a fanatasy world cup at work and the first tip we had to register was who we thought would win). Ahem. Goes to show I don't know much about footy at all image. But I understand they really grew together and played as a team which they haven't done in 24 years and hey presto, they win the cup image

Ouch, col image

I did 13 miles this morning. Weather is getting to me. 95% humidity again and bloody flies everywhere image but hey, all miles in the bank. I'm just glad I'm not training for an autumn marathon. 13-15 miles is the most I can do in this kind of weather before losing the will to live.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Chick- that's great running in tough conditions and hey! Don't complain at least you can run

Col-still bothering me I'm afraid. Might try a short jog tomorrow. 

Barry-looks like you're getting faster in your regular 6 miler. 

Feeling fat now so need to get back to it. Hope I'm ok tomorrow. 

• 2old - Hope the return to running goes well, not too far.

Chick - well done on the 13.

10 miles slow for me on Wednesday afternoon at 7:50 avg - pretty warm, hour in the pool yesterday very cooling out of the heat and out early this morning for a slow 20 at 8:26 avg, first time wearing the camelback this year and definitely needed it. Swimming club tonight then off to Blackpool for the weekend for dad's 80th, couple of days rest for the legs(which I think they need).

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Barry- great  mix of quality work by you. Enjoy Blackpool. It's very warm on the North West coast at the moment but a breeze/ wind is helping cool things a bit. Sadly I didn't get pat 2.4k bfore my calf seized up and I'm now limping again. Time to see an expert .

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Oh bugger, 2old image  hope you find a good doc.

Haha, Barry - your slow 7:50 would be tempo pace for me image. Ran into work this morning with a little detour to make it 17.5 but av. pace was 9mm. I seem to be stuck there while it's hot. At least I wasn't knackered and I'm so glad I don't have to do a long run at the weekend. I much rather go for a swim when it's like this.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Hello peeps!

Sorry I've been awol.   Really things have been crap for me and I'm not doing anything at the moment.  The bike accident led to a very nasty chest infection, which resulted in steroids and double strength antibiotics and almost a week of bed rest.  My knee is recovering from the accident, my hip is just the same but I had a consultant appointment last Thursday and have 2 MRI scans coming up, so there should be progress there now.   

Realising that I will have lost all speed and probably won't get it back (at my age image) I have entered the South Downs 50m in April!  image  I must have been delirious I think!!

Good to see Kiwi back running and Chick getting back up to speed.  Sorry to see 2old limping, and it sounds like Pink and got Barry tri training!

Will keep in touch, promise!

• 2old - Rubbish news, rest and get it sorted, need you at Abo.

Chick - Good long run,seem to think you're not marathoning this autumn have you got any HM planned?

Minni - Good to hear from you even though you are having a shit time of it.  Hope you have a speedy recovery and get a diagnosis for the hip.  Nice target for next year.image.  Keep posting as we seem to have lost our flock.  No tri for me this year but hopefully good for next year.

Swimming club on Friday and lanes mixed up, Pink ended up in my lane, think the coach did it on purpose,  but Pink not happy.  The first full session for me with the rest of the lanes, no more "baby" lane for me and found it hard but enjoyable.  Rest day yesterday and an easy 13 mile bike ride this afternoon "coaching" Pink.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Minni- what's going on with you these days? Hope you make a quick recovery . Like your positive thinking- 50mile race. Crazy ! Keep in touch 

Barry- Abbo looking a long shot at the moment. Cannot run without pain. Lower part of calf in left leg feels shot to Pieces. Can't understand what's happened. I'm wondering if it's a tear where the Achilles attaches to the calf. Hope you let Pink keep in touch 

had to find something to do so rediscovered my rowing machine- 4 miles yesterday ,5.5 today . Now I've got big blisters on my hands. Back to swimming next week. 

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

Nothing crazy about a 50 mile race!!!! 

Minni: does this mean you won't be doing Rotherham?

i am currently lurking, sulking and generally trying to get my life back on an even keel

X-rays revealed nothing so next step will be MRI and consultant, going stir crazy. In the lat 3 weeks I have retired, spent a week in Yorkshire for the TdF, organised the completion of the sale of the family business property in Belfast, completed 5 tax returns and co-ordinated various builders and tradesmen at the new house - at times it feels like project managing the construction of the Taj Mahal image

have barely run for 3 weeks and my longest bike ride has been a miserable 72 (albeit hilly) miles. Bizzarely I have managed to lose some weight while not exercising much -wtf???

Left work with £200 vouchers for the bike shop so a new lightweight bike is in my sights - also had a queue of hunky young men wanting to give me a hug at graduation, much to their parents' bemusement. One asked if he could have a hug before he left - to which I responded that at my age I was unlikely to turn own offers like that image

• lol, O4S, you certainly have been busy! hope the mri provides answers.

2old - boo, so unfair you were coming along so nicely image

hi Minni, you"re heading over to the ultra dark sideimage

was too hung over to do today"s long run, opps! left hip is a bit niggly, only started to niggle since adding speed intervals... but on a bright note i am now on 6 weeks holiday, all about injury proofing the body - going to try pilates tmrw image

• Hey Folks

Still alive, cycling a lot, running a bit. Came third in club Duathlon on Friday much to my surprise given the age of the field! Off to Spain for 4 weeks on Wednesday for my annual summer training camp. Otherwise not a lot.

O4S: Busy, busy and there's nothing worse than an injured runner. (ask Minni!)

Minni: You will return.

Kiwi: Good to see you running

2Old: Hope you get yourself sorted.

Barry: swimming along! 

Chick: Germany deserved to win, my youngest wants to go and live there for 5 years so he can play for Germany.

Keep Running.

• Hi guys

Minni - fingers crossed re the scans & for a strong recovery......  I like your style re the SDW 50! I'm aiming for the NDW 50 in May..... Will be good to trade training tales!

Had an interesting long(ish) run on Sat - 16miles, 12 miles @7.30mm, then ykw @7.00mm, with a one mile cool down home.  Felt ok.  Was a bit of a talking point at the ykw tho - it tipped it down from about miles 4 to 8 and then stopped, 4 different people asked me why I was soaked through & were impressed with the answer image

Hope everyone good!

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Hi folks,

Another one who's been awol for a while and doing very little. Left heel still troubling me, now right achilles is niggling a bit so I'm sticking to a bit of cycling, rowing and XT in the gym. All very dull.

Minni - hope you get some answers on the hip soon.

O4S - likewise, hope you can get some answers.

2old - sounds like you need some proper attention on that calf of yours.
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

O4S-congrats on your retirement which as we can see means that you will be busier than ever. Bet those hugs made all those years worthwhile.

Free-these niggles are so frustrating. Keep up the XT

Cooks-impressive stuff-its when you can turn up and do a YKNW like that you realise that you are an extraordinary runner

DD-nice duathlon-where in Spain? Might see you-Costa del Sol? .

Kiwi-just shows the great progress youve made-not long ago you couldnt do a LR and now you can overindulge and miss one without a worry

Saw the physio yesterday-sort of good news -calf not torn -and bad news -sciatica is likely cause with nerves irritating the calf /achilles area. Told to avoid straining back-rowing/cycling. Its too painful to run so left with walking,step machine and swimming for the time being. Thats going to be a bit limiting to say the least especially as I did 25 miles on the exercise bike before seeing her .At least swim club was fun last night including trying tumble turns for the first time ever.

• 2old: at least you have a diagnosis. Costa Blanca, 40 mins inland from Alicante back on my mountain.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

DD-so I wont be seing you then.Enjoy your mountain.Thi hills around our way are called Sierra Blanca and make for some interesting hill climbs if you are into that sort of punishment ,which I know you are.

Anyone got any quick fixes for sciatica ? Another swim done-bit like a tri start-pool full of kids and their toys and others wallowing in my path

• greetings from my sunlounger, forecast to be 25 + sunny for the rest of the week, great start to the school holidays imageimage

2old - sorry to heat about your sciatica woes, no ideas i'm sorry, hope someone can help you. i couldn't really afford to drop Sunday's long run but was too hungover + hip was unhappy after Saturday's walking tour.

Freemers, boo you are still having injury troubles image

Hi D.D, nice duathlon, will be boiling in Spain, but guess you are used to it after Dubai, enjoy image

really enjoyed pilates ystrday, just what my rubbish core needs, was shaking like a leaf by the end!! after reading up in my 'beat any injury' book, now realise it is my left hip flexor playing up. am icing amd stretching it, got a sports masdage booked for Monday, think will stick to gentle easy pace this week. i

• Cooks - missed your post, a ykw mid 16 miles, very impressive!

• Healing vibes to the injured.

Cooks  - Good running, maybe they thought you were really sweaty.imageimage

2old -  Speedy recovery, take it easy, but knowing you that will be ignoredimage, I need a pacer a Abo and I'm not going to keep up with Cooks.

DD - Enjoy.

My weekly quick run yesterday, 6 miles with middle 4 quick, splits for quick 6:33,6:40,6:45,6:34, hot and they were hard work,  at the end of 4th I had a short sit down on the pavement and I must have looked a wreck as a passing woman asked  if I was OK. 1 hour in the pool and this afternoon, much better idea than running in this heat.

• PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

Hi folks, nice to see some of you back - it's been quiet.

Sorry to hear of injury woes for some of you. Hope you start to feel better soon.

I have been out running but still mixing in swimming & now trying the road bike, getting used to the gears. Swimming training is going well & I've now got over my grump of being in the same lane as Barry image

13 mile cycle ride with Barry on Sunday which was good as he was advising on gear changes. If he shouted I didn't hear him!

Had a rest day yesterday & went early morning swimming training this morning - hard session but good fun. Supposed to be running as well today but gone down the lazy route & opted to do the ironing instead image

Planning a early morning run before work tomorrow as I've now changed my hours at work so no time for a lunchtime run at the moment.

• kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭
    Not good to see so many on the bench right now. Not sure that's when I'd be thinking of 50M events - total nutter minni! Of course, beachy head marathon in oct would be a good warm up - fancy joining me? image

Had an awesome bike tour in france - did a 6 day circuit taking in ventoux and a few other nice climbs and some beautiful places. Lots of tasty figs, grapes and mirabelles to scrump too. Scorchio though, think I jumped in most of the village fountains we passed.

Heading to scotland now for the next couple of weeks to sort out the commonweatlth games - if those people don't get directed to the toilets properly the whole things gonna fail...

Usual marathon training for me - marathon in 4 weeks, and I've just had 19 days off... Did a couple of 7M trots monday and tuesday - my calves are stiff now! Hopefully get in a few runs in scotland...