RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Kiwi-you'll soon make up for that missed LR

KFC-I guess all that bike stuff will get you through the marathon.Your personal TdF must have been great. Enjoy Scotland

Pink-dont worry about missing the run -its too hot anyway

Barry-I will have to see how August goes before deciding about Abbo-I would like to do it even if its just as a LR and by doing so get my 10th marathon out of the way. Be careful in this heat-you could undo all the hard work of the last few months . Allowing for the heat those are frighteningly fast splits, bordering on dangerously.

Just signed up for an Open Water Swim on 31st August in case Im a DNS for the Wirral Tri. I think its the local pond time trial tonight too.

• kfc -  Sounds great, even if tough, fun.

2old -  I hear you, but only doing 3 runs a week one has got to be a hard effort,  avg was about 15 seconds slower than normal so in the heat about right.

Speaking of hot runs, 10 miles done this afternoon at 7:49 avg.

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Three weeks away spending most of our holiday in the Languedoc region near to Beziers. I am glad to say, I had some great running whilst I was away. I think the whole being away on holiday and in a relaxed mode helped. I had to be up early for a run, but that was fine, going out at 07:00 usually. The site we were at had a running club Tues/Fri so we went along to that and I hooked up with a Dutch guy who was a sub 3 marathon runner. The first run we were hitting 6:45 m/m at some points  on a 9 mile run, then slowing down to 7:00. I was surprised how good I felt on the runs, I think the stength and conditioning before we went away helped. Also met up with a couple also from Edinburgh and went out for some runs with the guy who is a coach for Corstorphine running club in Edinburgh, he has talked me into going down to a few sessions to see how I like the club. I think I may well do that, although with work etc, I don't think I will be a regular feature but it sounds interesting. At some points I felt I was probably running more than I should but I felt pretty good so just went with the flow image

Back to the grind yesterday and not had much chance to catch up with what is going on, so please forgive me if I sound ignorant.image

12 week plan for York marathon starts next week!

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Oh and got my GFA entry for London next year image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Barry- only. 3 runs ? I wish.  That must have been a hellish 10.. it was 30c !

Nell- a perfect holiday in France- like KFC- looks good for you over the next few months. Excited about the Games?  I'm hoping to join you at London next year with my GFA ,injury permitting

enjoyable swim in the pond near Wigan tonight. Water was so warm. Just under 2k and a minute quicker than last month. 

• Lurking... Hello peeps. Wondered how you all are.

2old injured (again?) and o4s though?

Running but no targets at moment. Work been busy, and also took it easy after Comrades for 4 weeks. Thunder Run this weekend, may see Brol and Minni (if she is running?)
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

FRC-enjoy TR.Any ideas to fix sciatica which radiates down left leg into the calf? Fed up here

• urgh, self indulgent moan alert - how on earth do you survive training in the summer?! got up earlier this morning, thinking it would be cooler than running in the evenings but ot was TORTURE!  shuffled the 8 miles, mainly on bridlepaths in the shade but still suffered, frozen bottle of water didn't stay frozen for long either! will read back later once I've recovered fully!

• kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭
    kiwi - better getting out for a hot 8M than being on the bench though eh? If you want it a wee bit cooler I can suggest moving to Scotland (tbh, this is the solution to everything) - my 8M this morning in the haar was lovely. Calves still a bit stiff, but I took the Jens Voigt approach to them.

FRC - hows the body recovered? Its been interesting talking to a couple of guys from my club who ran comrades and the effects they are still feeling - amazing what something like that does to the body.

Anyway, aff tae weegieland the noo fur the late shift at the velodrome. Pure deid brilliant. Ahem.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    ??? kfc don't understand a wordimage

kiwi: I'm with you on summer running being hard work. It'll all pay off in the end though. I'm sure you'll have a few holy shit runs coming up when it's cooler image

Good to see most of the missing persons back, albeit on the bench ...

Minni: 50 miles!!! Nutter!!

2old: did your doc tell you what causes the sciatica? There's muscular sciatica you can get from a tight piriformis and that can be sorted with stretching. If it's like mine caused by a slipped disc you should get an epidural. No kidding... Steroid injections into the spine sorted me out. It took some months to properly go away though.

We had planned a week of cycling from Hamburg to Magdeburg along the river but cancelled it due to the heat. Drove to the Harz region instead for some hiking. Altitude and woods kept the temps bearable. Normal running to resume tomorrow.
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Kiwi-as per KFC,dont complain-Id love to be out there cooking. Why not put your running gear in the fridge overnight-I read somewhere it works if you do the same with bed sheets....just a thoughtimage

KFC-well done getting the 8 done. Good question to FRC regarding recovery from Comrades-wonder what the score is recovering from an Iron man- a few I know seem to recover quickly and do 50 mile ultras a week or so later?

Another mile and a bit in the pool  todayimage

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Chick-cross post. Ive only seena physio-I doubt my GP would offer an opinion on which was the reason until I'd rested for a month and returned with the same symptoms.I suspect its a disc issue going back to 3 weeks before Boston which started when I unloaded several bags of chicken feed from my car. When did you get the injection done?I thought youd stopped complaining about your back. That was a nice break.

• old4speedold4speed ✭✭✭

I've done a pretty decent half marathon the week after a 50 mile run, nowadays I still do a HM the week after a 50, but both are slower than they used to be image

I did 5 miles at the club on Monday night which nearly killed me in the heat. Last 3 days I've been out at 6.30am and only managed about 40 minutes. Did 40 miles on the bike yesterday as well, which wasn't as bad as running.

Less of the 'nutters' on the 50 mile front - a mere sprint image

Off to the Commonwealth Games tomorrow - hoping it cools off a bit.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

O4S- you dont fall into the 'nutters'category...you're one on your ownimage Enjoy Glasgow

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi kiwi, Take the advise from kfc, running in Scotland is a lot easier ;0)

Hi 2old, Hoping you get better for London then! I actually had some work over in Glasgow today which was close to Glasgow Green. Had a walk around at lunch time and there was a good buzz going on. we are over on Tuesday for the table-tennis and badminton. I can't wait to see the kids faces when we watch the table tennis! On the hunt for judo ticks for my son and gymnastics for my daughter. I had them in the basket the other month when they had problems and got threw out and lost them!

Hi kfc, Are you one of the guides at the velodrome?

5 miles from me this morning at an easy/moderate pace 7:50mm. Trying to get back to nice even paced runs for the marathon training...

• very true, sorry guys, shouldn't really moan about the heat, i am glad to be back out there, hoping Monday's sports massage sorts out the niggling hip flexor.

04S + KFC - enjoy the Commenwealth games image

Chick sounds like you had a lovely week away.

Barry + Pink - must be a relief to get into a swimming pool in this weather!

• x-post Nell - Scotland in winter would be too dark and cold for me, so not an option!

• Nell -  Welcome back.

kiwi - make the most of the heat, run to perceived effort and enjoy, then reap the benefits when it cools down.

Yeah nice in the pool this afternoon, my physio was in swimming, he's qualified for the triathlon world champs next month for his age group, I was taking the piss as for some reason he was by himself in the slow lane.  I was going to jump in the fast lane, which was empty, but thought that would tempt fate and lead to a bad session.  All good I even managed 3 lengths sort of continuous with a tiny break at the end of each length.image

• kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

2old - took me ages to recover from IM, although this was back in the days when I did no long runs, and my legs were very sore for quite some time!

Swimming coming on really nicely Barry. You'll be good to compete in a major championship tri soon - https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/24544500/kenyan-does-breaststroke-in-triathlon/

Nell - I'm literally holding the whole shebang together, its amazing they manage to keep things going when I'm not there. Heres some proof. O4S - you are in for a treat.

/members/images/169522/Gallery/IMAG0166.jpg

• PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

Morning

Welcome back Nell

Chick sounds like a nice break away

Enjoy the Commonwealth Games Old4S

Kiwi yes it's great to be in the pool although I don't as often as Barry but that will change now it's school holidays, I can go more in the evening.

KFC Nice photo

I've started to get back into the routine of early morning running which is great - i'm not running as much but seem to be getting a bit quicker. Had a rest day yesterday. Swimming training tonight - will see if i'm shifted into Barry's lane again which left me in a right  grump last week image

My bike has been in to have the gears realigned but I have it back now so will be out on it again at the weekend to get used to the gears - love travelling down hills on it!

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi kiwi, Yes I see your point, all the bad weather here makes us appreciate the good weather though. And at the moment even here it is nice!

Hi Barry, best not upset the physio. They can inflict pain in some very tender places image

Hi kfc, great stuff, Yes when I drove towards the Tron past the Green yesterday, you guys were everywhere. I hope you just didn't get there the same way the Sri Lankan cyclists did! http://www.scotsman.com/news/odd/glasgow-2014-sri-lankan-athletes-cycle-down-m74-1-3486316

Hi Pink, Early morning running is my preference. Love it image By the end of the day I have drank too much coffee!

Out this morning for a 4 mile run average 7:11mm. Taking it easy this week before heading into the marathon training. Getting back into the terrain here, Languedoc was nice and flat! Went to the gym for some S&C on Wednesday and my poor glutes and quads obviously didn't know what hit them after a 3 week rest....oh ,sore. Grid roller after my run produced a few yelps image

• great photo KFC, good to see you are holding things together for them at the velodromeimage

wow, awesome physio you have there Barry!

Pink - great you'll have more time for the pool during the hols image

Nell - not surprised you ached after 3 weeks off from the gym!

did a 'legs, bums + tums' class at the gym this morning, it was brutal - she even had us lifting weights with our legs. will see how sore i am tmrw before deciding whether to do lsr tmrw or Sunday!

• kfc - Great photo, yeah I am aiming for the world famous Wootten Bassett Triathlon next April.image

Kiwi - Make sure you do it one of the days.image

Nell - which marathon are you training for?

13 miles blast on the bike yesterday afternoon, not too happy with the avg but included a couple of traffic stops and one rear wheel lock up, my fault travelling too close to a car down a country lane. 

Swimming club last night, and Pink was happy as she was back in her old lane.  But coach came to me and told me go in Lane 1(Pink's) lane,  and very hard work, think I was trying to go too quick and form suffered. Pink wiped the floor with me and at one point she asked if I wanted to go ahead of her to which I replied " are you having a F****** laugh.   He pulled me back to my old lane after 45 mins as he saw I was hanging, said I had done well and he wants to keep pushing me which is fair enough.

15 miles early this morning at 7:51 avg, 10 slow and then 5 at MP splits for MP 7:21,7:23,7:13,7:07,7:13.

• kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

Getting inspired for my 20 today by watching the commie marathon.  Scottish first male finisher achieved the dream - vomming all over himself right down the finishing straight.  

• urgh KFC that is just dirty, he clearly pushed himself beyond his limits! hope your 20 miler was ok.

Barry a nice 15 miler there! thanks for the stern reminder re my lsrimage

did the planned 13 miles today, took on board everyone's advice and meandered around, average 10:12m/m, so nice and slow but felt much more chilled, hip a little achey, glad to have a sports massage booked for after pilates tmrw morning!

• kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

totally kiwi - pushing beyond the limits is the dream!  I can't wait for the day I get to do a post race bbc interview with chunks on my vest.  One day...  

20 done, beautiful up on the moors today.  I should watch a world class marathon before every long run - v inspiring.  Probably a mistake to watch the 100m heats when I popped back in for a drink after 12 - had a few faster miles when i started again!  Legs sore now, but the run felt OK.  

Marathon in 4 weeks, so plan to get a couple more 20s in in the next 2 weeks before a 2 week taper.  Hopefully that should make sure I've got legs to use after the 16M point this time.  

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Barry, Nice 15. what is your MP, 3:15?. I am in for the York Marathon in October (Old York, not New image).

Hi kfc, You paint a lovely picture, glad the run went ok, hopefully not too hot ;0) What marathon you running?

Hi kiwi, Nice 13, hope the hip feels better...

I went out for 10 miles this morning. Aimed to go out just a bit faster than Easy-Moderate pace so aimed for 7:30-45. Got around with avg pace 7:33, which was just about right all around. Bit cooler than yesterday today, my wife went out yesterday and came back after 3 miles as it was unbearable... I had one of those mornings when I thought I was invisible as I think I had 2 fellow passing runners say hello, the rest were playing miserable sods....

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Quick check in before I whizz off on holiday.

Thunder Run completed with Brolish and Carrot and two others.  My lack of training through injury and illness had me worried but I managed to knock out 5 laps of the 10k course but the amazing Brolish and Carrot knocked out 6 and with the 5 the other two put in we totalled 27 laps in the 24 hours, run as a relay.  Result - 2nd ladies team!  The whole thing was completely awesome.  Thank you ladies.

MRI scan today but the 31 miles seems to have done something good and for the first time in literally months I have no pain in it!!  Could be the fact everything else hurts so much I can't feel it though!

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Minni-loooks like you've earnt that holiday.Great TRing with the others.Well done.

Barry-looking very consistent and all bodes well for Abbo.Any races coming up?

KFC-things coming together nicely for your marathon too.Must be nice to be able to knock out 20mile LRs like shelling peas

Nell-god pacey running-you must have an eye on near 3hrs for your next marathon

Kiwi-excellent meandering

Pink-you're braver than me -I panic going fast down hills on a bike.Strange that as I can happily do the same speed or faster on skis.Are you going to do a tri this September? You know you canimage

After a week of swimming I risked a run on Friday and happily got through 5k unscathed.Busy weekend so nothing more until today and managed an hours running again with no niggles.Now the hard part will be to ease myself back in.

• Minni - woozers, epic mileage for the Thunder run, what a fab team, well done!

2old - good you've done an hour with no problems, be patient, got everything crossed that you will sort that sciatica.

Nell - you are smoking, are you aiming for a 3 hr mara.

pilates this .am, really enjoying it, sports massage quite painful, whole left side knotted up, need to be more diligent on the foam roller!!