RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• Kiwi - Well done on the 13. Happy to remind when required.image

2old- Great news, just plan 3 runs a week and stick to it for the next few weeks. Only race planned so far is Maidenhead HM in Sep.

kfc -  well done on the 20.

Nell - nice pacy run  from you, yeah 3:15 will be the target at Abo interesting to see what the outcome of my reduced running/increased (swimming  and cycling) will have on my endurance.

Minni -  very very well done to you Brol and Carrot,  enjoy your hols.

Swimming club for me Sat afternoon, more at my level than Friday night's beasting.  35 miles on the bike sunday morning, furthest I've ever done and really enjoyed it, then an hour in the pool yesterday including some coaching from Pink  to try and get me to breath to the left. 

My weekly 6 miles with 4 middle at effort this afternoon, hot again so backed off pace a little  and ran comfortably hard (HM pace?) and tried to get some consistency in the splits worked out pretty well -  6:44,6:44,6:44,6:36

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi Minni, Nice to hear some good news from you ;0) Enjoy your hols!

Hi 2old, Glad to hear the run went ok, I did wonder how long you could hold back !

Hi kiwi, Yes, the roller is a very handy tool. I use the 66fit Spiky massage ball for the glutes. Now that is an eye watering experience!image

Hi 2old/kiwi, After 3:12 at Edinburgh I am being conservative and aiming for sub 3:10. Training times on my plan are geared towards 3:07:30 (gulp!). It would be lovely to get nearer to 3:00, but I am under no illusions here! I am also changing my training for this marathon and using a Hansons Training plan, just to keep it interesting...

Hi Barry, Nice splits on the run, can't get more consecutive than the first 3! A guy I know had an ankle injury last year before Edinburgh and spent a lot more time on the bike and then duathlons. He ended up breaking 3hrs...bit of food for thought

Into the gym for some S&C today. Did have a interval session planned for tomorrow, but we are going over to Glasgow for the Comm Games. I think I may end up getting up early as we won't get back until late.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Nell- sub 3.10 looks on the cards .Are you self coaching? Had that sub 3 guy gone under 3 before? Maybe upping my cycling might help me avoid injury .Enjoyed the sprinting at the Games tonight. Is there a good Games Vibe in Scotland ,like for the Olympics in London?

Barry- almost OCD type splits today. It would be good to see a graph  of them over the last  6 months . It's hard building up bike mileage so good going 

Kiwi- I will try to be patient but it's not really part of my character 

decided not to swim tonight so did an hour spinning 

• kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

Minni - great to hear from you - 31 miles in 24 hours image.  Guess that means you are on better form then - good to hear that.  How are Bro and Carrot doing? What are they targeting next?

Nell - reykjavik - hence my acclimatisation training camp in scotland right now!

Very consistent barry!

2old - shelling peas? I wish.  Hope to get a 20 in this week, but my legs are still sore from the 20 on Sunday so we'll see if that makes sense.

Games vibe has been great - especially inside the venues - its been as good as the paras (which atmosphere wise was better than the olympics) - thanks to the fact tickets are reasonably priced and not too hard to get hold of, so they are packed with more local people.  Lots of home nations success helps too, and incredible weather.

Had a great day yesterday, thrilling team badminton bronze match, then to Hampden - was right next to Gemili when he saw he'd got silver.  Nowhere close to the whole of Hampden in full voice for a bit of flower of scotland.  That was sweeeeet.

• Barry, speedy splits well done.

Nell - a spiky ball, now that does sound painful! what does a Hansons marathon training plan look like compared to others - is it mileage heavy?

wow KFC you have been having a great time at the games, fantastic for Gemili, especially as he was an underdog so to speak.

well, i seem to be acclimatising to the heat - 6 miles with 5x800s done this morning, legs felt great after ystrday's massage image

• Nell - How quick was your friend before his injury and change of training regime, food for thought anyway. Will be interesting to see how you get on with Hanson, as I understand it the long runs are a little shorter than usual but quicker.

Kiwi - Nice intervals, I'm due my monthly massage tomorrow.

10 miles this afternoon in the sunshine, nearly wimped out and took the bike out, but manned up and  took it slow at 8:07 avg.

• kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

Well done for not wimping out barry!  Don't usually see you running at paces starting with 8 - is that your long run right now?  

After a 4M recovery yesterday got out for 8M today.  Trying to work out what a realistic MP will be for Aug 23, ran at 7.30-7.40 pace.  Still feeling Sundays 20, and a few hills along the way so will need to get in a few more like that and some on the flat before working out what I'll be able to sustain on marathon day!

No running for me tomorrow, but looking forward to an evening with Rudisha at Hampden.  image

• Quick check in - great TRing to the ladies, awesome performance!!! Minni - really pleased that you seem to be on the mend......

Lovin' the hot weather but it's making me a sweaty betty!! image

Hope all good.....

• kfc - Midweek run is at least 10, marathon training has now kicked in so long runs at weekend are 20 miles(second one this sat) alternating with 15 miles( with some at MP).  Enjoy your "date" with Rudisha.

1 hour in the pool this morning, all good. Plenty of lengths with 15 seconds rest, bit of left breathing drills/practice, aim by end of august is to be able to breath to both sides and do 4 lengths continuous.

• Nell BlueNell Blue ✭✭✭

Hi 2old, I have a training plan drawn up from one of the Hansons coaches Luke Humphrey. I don't think there will be much interaction. I am to upload my sessions on to a site Runzalot. Haven't done that as yet as haven't had much time. There is a good vibe at the games, we were over all day Tuesday to see the table tennis and badminton. I must say I really enjoyed it and really got into it. It was a bit like a geography lesson though! Long day in all, out at 6:45 and back home at 22:30, but well worth it!

2old/Barry The guy I know kept getting stuck just over 3 and couldn't quite break it. He resorted to more cycling because of the niggling ankle injury and he believes the cycling did it for him. But I suppose what works for some might not work for others. But we can only experiment and try I guess...

Hi kfc, Reykjavik, right. Yes acclimatisation in Scotland will help ;0) You seem to be getting around the games? Still getting the running in too, well done!

Hi kiwi, The Hansons is as Barry says, with the LSR not as...... long as a general LSR. They peak at 16 miles, but it is cumulative mileage over the week. For Instance: If you are running 16 miles on the Sunday, you will run 10 on the Saturday, so that when you are running the 16 on the Sunday it does not feel like the first 16, but the last 16 as you will still have the miles from the day before in your legs. Weekly miles generally in the 50's peaking at 60's. Just thought I would try it as I was interested after seeing it in RW mag a while ago.

Nice intervals in the heat kiwi ;0)

Hi Cooks, Too much information ;0)

Hi Barry, Nice 10, and swimming seems to be coming along well. Certainly updates are more positive now ;0)

Well interval session got forgotten on Tuesday, Easy to moderate run yesterday at slightly under the moderate end, but consistent at 7:41. Bit of gym work yesterday and finishing off with a massage, report was all seemed fine :0) Up this morning for a MP/Tempo run. 2 miles warm up 5 miles 6:57,7:02,7:03,6:58,7:05 bit too fast as MP should be 7:09 so need to work on that, then cool down 2 miles. Football tonight.

• Barry - we really are at the same point on the swimming learning curve!  I'm finding breathing on the left really hard but did make a bit of a break through earlier this week.... I also found breathing (one sided) every second stroke (ie every right handed stroke) got me to 4 lengths continuous.... every fourth stroke definitely too much for me!

Nell - yeah, sorry I know image  Which mara are you signed up for?  I'm in for Abo, starting to hit some vague fitness - am tempted to do a flat out ykw on Sat to assess exactly where I'm at......

• hi guys,

nice to see you Cooks, another for Abo image

Nell - an intersting concept, can see the sense on doing the long run on tired legs to train the body to adapt to running when tired, shall follow your progress with great interest!

Barry are you still following a 3 day running plan? i'm worried im not doing enough crosstraining on my 3 days...

• phone cut out mid post - KFC i watched the athletics last night, wow amazing runners and the buzz in the stadium must have been awesome!

so 9 miles easy for me this morning - ditched the tempo as hip flexor was a bit niggly after cycling last night. run off road today was fine - now i nred some advice, i hate swimming, so a no go and spin flares my knee up, cycling not good at the mo for the hip flexor. which means i am currently doing 3 runs and 2 gym classes (pilates + legs, bums + tums) a week. i worry this isn't enough - do i introduce more runs or focus on the 3 i am doing being good quality? bear in mind this marathon campaign is about getting to the finish line uninjured, fully expecting a p.w. sorru for the essay, any advice would be much appreciated image

• Cooks - well done on the swimming progression, I usually breath every 2 but find my right arm is much stronger than left, but when I breath every 4 I can get better technique with the left.

kiwi - with your injury worries I would stick with 3 quality runs a week. I'm still running three times a week and since starting this in April have been injury free.  I am doing a lot of swimming and a bit of cycling see below. But I think it's important for you to get to the start line at Abo injury free.  If you could fit in another gym class maybe circuits or a rowing session that would help with aerobic fitness.  Why don't you like swimming? I did n't like it until I had my lessons.

Nell - Nice quick MP, always better to run too fast than too slow.image

1 hour swimming practice yesterday so training for months as follows:

Run -  128 miles off 13 runs( including raced HM)

Swim  - 15 sessions.

Bike -  100 miles off 6 rides.

So  a total of 2350 minutes training with 2 rest days.  A few doubles in there mainly run/swim and bike/swim.  Physio yesterday and all good.

• Hi Cooks, lol! I am running York in October, don't push it too much ;0)

Hi kiwi, I am aauming you are running interval/temp/LSR? I suppose it is a case of fitting it all in. Another run may be beneficial? What about rowing machine, if you are a member of a gym. Adds a bit of a different workout...

Hi Barry, A lot of minutes training there! Scary when you add it all up image

Well I played football for the first time in a few weeks, and managed to pull my calf muscle. I could feel it about to go. My own fault as I don't think I warmed up enough! image  So have been applying the ice and stretching. rest day today thankfully...my wife the ever sympathetic one reminded me that running and football don't go together...image

• Barry very impressive training minutes!

Nell i hope the calf comes right, the year i got injured i was marathon training and playing netball, really think that contributed to my injury woes as prior to that I'd had 5 years of injury free marathon training!

Legs, bums + tums for me today, managed to do allthe legs sets with weights this week, so will do my lsr Sunday to allow some recovery. thanks for the advice, i did swim lessons as a child/teen but preferto just splosh around on holiday, can't stand chlorine! thanks for the advice, will stick to the 3 quality runs - intervals, tempo + long run. also will return to Weds night circuits, haven't been the last 2 weeks, haven't used a rowing machine might sk one of the trainers at the gym to show me how to use it properly. thanks again image

• kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭
    Nell - noooooo - not the calf! Hope its not so bad once it calms down. I'm another really interested to see how a different approach to the long runs goes - especially cos I'm usually not so good at actually doing them!

Glad you had a good day out at the games - I'm a sucker for events like this, and these ones are especially good cos I'm not responsible for anything!

Kiwi - you are in a really similar place to me for london 2013 - I'd had 6 months of no training, and was building up so so slowly again on 3 runs a week. I wouldn't add another run - keep it to 3 but make sure they are all good quality. Once I'd built it up a bit I started doing slightly longer warm up and cool downs for my speed sessions to bring the total mileage to 10 for them.

What I would say is that if you can add in some low intensity aerobic training that will help - something that's a bit like a long run and gets your HR in the range 120-140 for a decent time. Aim is to build the aerobic fitness back up. I did at least 2 sessions a week like this - mainly biking or swimming, with some multi day bike tours and some ski touring in there too (less practical right now!).

The core sessions you are doing will definitely help with injury prevention, but they probably won't do much for the aerobic fitness? Spinning is really high intensity - how does the knee feel if you are just out on the bike for an easy day ride out with friends and a pub lunch? I really believe its just long slow days out like that to build base fitness that really help, especially when you are limiting the running mileage.

Oh, and I totally get that your plan is to just get back into it - it was for me too - but its also possible to PB - I ended up with one and my first sub 3.30. image

Athletics last night was fab, so good I'm back again tonight, although Mo has cancelled on me. Oh well, I'll cope. Had a last minute spare ticket so persuaded my best pal to bunk off work and join me - she's legging it up from newcastle now!
  • Nell - Hope it's not too serious but listen to your wife, I always do,image, that's my wife and not yours. image

Kiwi - I'm not doing any interval work as one of my three runs, I'm doing a 6 mile run with middle 4 at effort, then a run of between 10 to 15 miles midweek with some MP/HMP(when it's not too hot) miles and then a long run at the weekend rotating between a 20 and a 15 with last 5 at MP.  Maybe consider dropping your interval session and doing a longer run midweek which I think is more relevant to marathon training especially when only doing 3 runs a week.

kfc - Impressive athletics last night, what happened to Rudisha on Thursday?

Swimming club last night back in my old lane so plenty of technique but not enough swimming for my liking.  20 miles this morning at 8:11 avg, good morning for it with a refreshing shower for the last 3 miles.

• Hi kiwi, Yes I think netball is a similar unsuitable sport to accompany running. You will be happy with the netball result today? Gripping game! Good advice from Barry worth considering?

Hi kfc, Yes really enjoyed the games. Good to hear you are able to get to see a few things whilst there, hope the training isn't suffering? ;0)

Hi Barry, Nice 20, yes the wife is always right ;0)

Well tried a run this morning. 4 miles at easy to moderate pace, pretty bang on 7:49 all the way round give 1 or 2 secs. Calf felt fine. It is slightly tender when I manipulate the muscle, but I am thinking this may be more a slight bruise from the initial spasm?? I an trying 14 miles from the plan tomorrow, but will do 2 x 7 mile loop of which I can break short and head back home, just in case.

• Training in Spain, love being back in the sun.

A certain Spoons became an Ironman today

• PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

KFC It's been a cracking Commonwealth Games. Athletics has been brilliant

Nell I'm always right image

Kiwi That netball match yesterday was amazing. Felt for England when New Zealand scored in the last 2 seconds image. I've been asked to go back to Netball in September. Pondering about it at the moment

I am trying to stick to the HM training plan but finding it hard at the moment. I get to the 3 or 4 mile point & seem to want to stop & walk - not good. I did run the Parkrun yesterday & finished in 28.27 which was good for me considering the lack of running. Love the rain shower, so refreshing.

I have been swimming a bit more - it was the last club night on Friday as they have finished for the summer. Good job Barry was in his old lane as he wouldn't have enjoyed what we were doing. Swimming with one leg in the air, then swimming with pull buoy between our feet, swimming halfway & stopping to do handstands - hilarious. Went swimming with him yesterday - starting to get worried that he's catching up with me image

Been out for 5 mile run this morning but didn't enjoy it, struggled to continue to do the 7 miles which I was supposed to. image

• Hi DD, Can't beat running in the sun, 3 weeks away in France was heaven for me this year after the weather we have had up here image

Hi Pink, Yes I will not argue, so is your counterpart Mrs N! Not a good place to be if you are not enjoying the running. My wife has been in a similar position lately, I have told her to forget the watch and just go out and run to what she feels and if you have to stop for a short walk, what the hell that is fine. It is all about enjoyment.

Went out for my 14 miles this morning and thankfully all went well. When I prod and massage the muscle it is not as tender also. So fingers crossed, I have had a lucky let off!

• kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭
    DD - awesome news - thanks for letting us know!

Spoons - if you are reading, huge well done - please pop in and tell us how it went!

Barry - another solid 20 logged there. No way I could have safely done the 2 longer runs each week you are doing when I was on my way back from injury, but makes sense when you are in the shape you are.

Pink - you should take the jens voigt approach on runs like that... When it starts getting hard just firmly tell your legs "Shut up legs!"

Nell - good news on the 14. I used to play in my old work netball team for a 40min match each monday. While not that specific for running, it was great for an extra general fitness session and good fun. Plenty of argy bargy too.

For the first time ever at an event like this, my training is not suffering - think having the least responsible job at the games is a big factor! I've managed 28 and 45 mile weeks, which compared with 0, 0, 13 for the previous 3 is a big improvement...

Long day yesterday at badminton then taking an old mate to the boxing, so I didn't get up in time to do the 20 I wanted. Ended up doing a brisk 8, made even brisker by spotting another runner 3 miles in. Had to chase him down so did the rest of the run at 7.00 pace...

Back to proper work tomorrow. Boo. Need to get a last 20 in on friday, may try and do 15 on the way home tomorrow.
  • Hi all,

can't believe the commonwealth games are over already! Loved watching Jo Pavey in the 5,000m last night.

Nell - I saw a bit of the replay of the netball game, to be fair felt sorry for England to have it stolen from them in the last seconds of the match! The Kiwis bombed against Australia today tho! Good to see you are running happily with no calf issues!

Hi D.D - you're enjoying the sun and running combo then image Great job by Spoons, true inspiration.

Barry great 20 - it is all coming together very nicely for you.

Pink - netball is a fab sport, but I do think it is worse on your joints than running, but if you enjoy it, go for it. Could you try running without your watch to take the pressure off your runs? When I was first coming back from injury that's what I did, helped a bit.

KFC - lol at how your mileage has built up, you've taken the unconventional approach to your training againimage

So was up early today for the long run as we were going out for lunch, 15 miles easy, last 2 were a struggle but overall ok. Recovered with a massive roast dinner and vino pub lunch image

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

soz, was AWOL for a bit - but great to see kiwi building up the miles whilst kfc prefers the unconventional approach to marathon training image Also good to see everyone enjoying the Commonwealth Games image

I managed a 54 mile week last week but I'm still suffering in the heat. A bit sick of it now, TBH.

But I slogged out another 11.8 before work this morning image

Beginning to think about a marathon in November image

Well done Spoons imageimage

• Hi kfc, Glad you have managed to keep up the running ;0) Yes, I must say that netball does certainly generate a bit of 'argy bargy' for a non contact sport. Certainly don't mess around with those girls! Ah the temptation of chasing down that runner up ahead. I am trying to resist that and stick to the pace for the given run on that day..it's hard! Good luck with the 20!

Hi kiwi, A good roast dinner after a LSR is certainly the recovery meal ;0)

Hi Chick, Sick of the heat, send it up here!

4 miles recovery run at 7:55mm this morning, in the wind with not a lot of heat image

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    You're welcome to it Nell image

It's 24 today and I find that rather pleasant. Goes to show how much hotter the past weeks have beenimage
  • Hi Chick, Thanks, lovely this morning so you must have sent it up image

Went out this morning and 2 miles warm up 6 x 1 miles intervals at MP -10 secs (7:19), with 0.25 mile recoveries. Intervals - 7:12,7:16,7:11,7:13,7:13,7:12 not quite spot on.... Then 2.25 miles cool down. 11.75 miles in all.

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Hi folks....

Good to see some decent mileage going on - especially kiwi on the comeback trail image

Nell - that is one fast mile reps session image

Chick - I knew you wouldn't resist the thought of a marathon for too longimage

I'm slowly getting my running mojo back. Still have pain in by feet/ankles but it's manageable and wears off so I'm keeping at it. To get my head in the game I've worked out a schedule to take me through to the Norwich Half in November - started with a trendy 5 yesterday of course! Today is a tempo session - will be 6 in total with 3-4 @ MP-ish. Mind you I'm not sure what that is at the moment, but hopefully around 7.30s. Could be interesting!
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Hola! Also training in sunny Spain , which is a lot nicer than UK!

Kiwi - yes it's great to see you coming back so well. I assume you've now got your passports back eventually?

Freemers - sounding good. Let's hope everything starts to fall into place.

Spoons did indeed become an IM at the weekend. I think he's relieved it's over! A cracking time too.

On holiday I'm reading Chrissie Wellington's book. Anyone read it? Very inspiring!