RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• Oompa - great to see you back image

nice half in the heat Nell.

Barry - hope the achilles settles.

Chick - i hear you about the long runs! waited till the hail, strong winds, lightening + rain had passed (3pm) then ventured out for 17 slow miles. i actually felt like my legs were dieing in the last 4 miles, guess they still had Friday's 11 in them :-/

• PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

O4S I'm supposed to be running Bristol HM as well - will see as not sure if I want to at the moment

Nell Congratulations on the HM

Oompa Welcome back, great to hear from you

Nice one Kiwi & Chick

Took KFC & Kiwi's advice & went for a run although did take the Garmin but only to see how many miles I would mange - 6 in total without stopping which was better than where I have been. Went for a swim yesterday afternoon & timed myself swimming 400 meters. Also had a couple of races with Barry, I reckoned 1 was a draw & I won one but he think's he beat me on one of the lengths! image

Went swimming again today & practiced tumble turning. If I do a tri I need to sort out my turns. Came home & decided to go out on the bike & managed 6 miles on the road unclipping at junctions & didn't fall off once - yeaahhh! image

• Thanks for the comments guys.

I'm not completely pain free yet but it is getting better and i've put in a lot of hard graft at the gym to strengthen my quads (specifically my vmo), so as to stabilise the knees which seems to be doing the trick, but it still takes a good 1.5 - 2 miles for the little sod hammering my knee caps to bugger off and then i'm pain free.image 

Just back from a lovely head torch 10 miler @ 9.11, which is the the first time into double digits since VLM'13. No swelling to report, so very pleased.image

Barry - How's the Tri training coming along? Have you crossed over to the dark side yet and actually done one?

Chick - What race are you training for?

Kiwi - Are you completely injury free now (instantly regrets asking the question, so crosses fingers and hopes he hasn't unleashed the curse of Oompa)?

• Forgot to say... Nice half Nell.image 

Hill at 3 miles looks tough and if you didn't feel "race ready", i'd say that 1.34 is a very respectable time.

What's your half pb?

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Great to see you back Oompa image

kfc - enjoy the taper image

Chick - hope the 20 miler went well

Nell - that's a good time in the heat. 3 seconds quicker than my PB anyway!

Pink - sounds like you're putting together some good training. Have you got a tri in mind?

Kiwi - well done on the long run

So Saturday I ventured to the gym for a treddie interval session. Managed 6 x 800 @ 6.57 pace, and they felt really tough, but hopefully the speed will come back. Yesterday was 11 miles, pretty windy and a few heavy showers along the way, but glad to get it done.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Barry: By the time I posted I'd already done the 20 miler, hence my comment image. I've done a few 17.5 mile runs which felt OK, but those extra 2.5 were tough yesterday. It had warmed up considerably in the final hour. But hey, it's miles in the bank, albeit very slow miles. Hope your achilles settles.

Oompa: I'm toying with the idea of the Turin marathon in November.

Good running there kiwi and Freemers.

pink: seems the idea of running "naked" helped image

• Hi Chick, nice 20, Turin sounds a nice idea ;0)

Hi Barry, Prob best to ease off the pace on the running this week with the archilles eh? A chance for a bit more swimming?

Nice 17 kiwi, sound as though you are well and truly back on track ;0)

Hi Pink, Well done on getting out. Good that you are pushing out of you comfort zone inspirational stuff ;0) I went out with my wife last Thursday and ran the first 6 with her. She toughed it out and felt good for it after. she had lost the mojo a bit. Then She went and stubbed her toe on a shopping trolley!

Hi Oompa, my HM PB is 1:30:32, yes I got the result I deserved really ....wise advise from Barry, slowly does it ;0)

Hi Freemers, nice interval and 11 mile sessions. The speed seems to be creeping back in and I am sure it will not be long until you are back to normal ..

Yesterday and today easy to moderate 4 mes from me. Bit of a progressive run this morning, 8:00,7:50,7:40,7:30. Slightly faster than prescribed, but I just felt like playing ;0)
  • Chick - Not heard much about Turin. Flat/hilly? The carb loading will be a doddle!image

Free - Nice intervals. I've turned my previous hatred of dreadmills into unmitigated love, as they...

a) Are much softer/better on ze joints

b) Don't have have potholes, rabbit holes, horse sh*t etc. on them

c) They're really interesting  to run on... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz image

My calves are on fire this morning as a consequence of a change in running gait, changing to Kinvaras and yesterday's 10! image

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Kinvaras rule, Oompa image

Oompa wrote (see)

Chick - Not heard much about Turin. Flat/hilly? The carb loading will be a doddle!image

The carb loading factor played an important part in my choice. And the course is pancake flat, I think even with a slightly downhill start. Most importantly though: it will not be hot image
    Right now it's just an idea though. Haven't signed up as I wanted to see how my back will cope with increased mileage.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Another brief visit

Still ticking over with runs on beach and swims . Sea bit rough though due to Bertha effects

Like all the marathon planning. Is it that time already ?

Chick- back ok apart from when I did a hilly 11 miler

Barry - watch the Achilles. The temptation is to try to stretch it better in the early days but that risks further damage. Aggressive push offsin the pool can be bad too. Try to Let the inflammation reduce. Avoid hills and fast stuff for a little while. You are still well on track for Abbo .
  • kiwi - Very well done on the 17 miles.

Oompa -   Swimming is still a work in progress so will be next year before I try a tri but I'm getting there, see below.

freemers - good pace on the tready, don't know why but repeats always seem faster on the treadmill.

nell/2 old -  I hear you, I'm laying  off the running for a few days,  and as recommended by my physio  using heat treatment on the Achilles and will concentrate on swimming and cycling (weather permitting).

In the pool this afternoon and managed 16 x 1 length  with 10 seconds rest  but do  need to do a few lengths of drills before I start "proper" swimming otherwise I struggle and get out of breath, I suppose it's the equivalent of warming up for running.

• Barry - I know what you mean about swimming warm-up. I need at least 4 lengths before i get my breathing right. Although i must confess that the 30-40 lengths that i've been regularly doing of late, are in my gym's pool which is only 19m long! image

I'd planned to do my first tri this year but the ops have put that back... Oh, and the lack of a road bike... Oh, and the lack of a wetsuit!!imageimage

Will do my usual strengthening routine, spin and swim tonight.

• I am with Chick on the Kinvaras Oompa image

Hi Barry, be interested to hear how the heat treatment goes. Bit windy to be getting the barbecue out though?

Hi 2old, Don't you worry about us, just keep enjoying the holiday image

On a side, kiwi & Pink, I was down Birmingham yesterday attending a funeral and was chatting with my cousin who is a runner, his wife just got back into running also after a break. Never had an injury in her life and went and twisted her knee playing netball!

On that happy note, went out in the wind this morning.

Interval session, 2 mile warm up and 1.5 cool down. 6 x 800M @ 10K pace which for the plan is 6:33 (not sure I could run that in a 10k, but that's beside the point) with 400M recoveries. Splits: 3:10,3:06,3:17,3:23,3:13,3:16, the fourth and six splits were particularly hard running into the wind but overall a nice session, particularly as I was not looking forward to after a long drive back to Edinburgh from Birmingham last night...

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Nell-no need to worry about you all-everyone looks to be doing very well
  • Oompa, the knee is ok now but still got heel + hip flexor niggles on the left leg, religiously streching, rollering, icing + sports massaging! hope your calves are better today!

Nell - nice 800s, boo that the lady you know got injured playing netball! i am steering clear of netball for the forseeable.

Barry - hope the achilles is ok now.

• Freemers - nice intervals, how do you get your speed back so quickly?! i am still stuck in tortoise mode :-/

2old - keep enjoying Spain, we're back to rain + generally shite weather over here!

have picked up an annoying head cold after plowing thru the surface flooding on Sunday. cycled to gym for pilates yesterdau, 8 miles today with 3x1mile reps, a bit crap but will blame the headcold for that!

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Kiwi - don't forget you've had a lot longer out of running than I have - I think I must still have some residual speed from the spring marathon training. Your pace will come back image

A nice easy 5 yesterday, tempo planned for later today.

How good was Jo Pavey again last night???!!!
  • Kiwi - Calves have subsided. I've found that strength training followed by swimming helps a lot. Glad to hear your knee's sorted.image

Free - I'm planning a tempo tonight but it's pronounced "slowpoo"!image

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Jo Pavey rocks! She gives them young ones a run for their money image Good on her.

Nice 800s, Nell.

Haha, Oomps image

Just 6.2 this morning. It has cooled down but now it's windy. Still, better than the hot muggy weather of late. I'm not complaining. Wind is my substitute for hills image

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Oompa....you're having a slow poo? The mind boggles...anyway, I hope it was a good oneimage

Tempo yesterday, pretty much the same as last week - average pace for the effort (3.5 miles) was around 7.20. I don't feel I can go much quicker yet over a sustained distance, but at least I'm starting to regain some leg speed. Interesting interview BTW on MT last week about running action, cadence etc - worth a listen.

Euros good again last night for the Brits. Pleased Andy Vernon got the silver - he seems like a gutsy runner, very strong but hasn't turned it into bling before now. I thought he was going to come fourth as that last lap was happening, so it was good to get the silver.
  • Hi kiwi, hope the head cold has cleared?

Hi Freemers, All seems to be going well with you? must admit I have not managed to see much of the Euros, they could have planned that better and made it next week when the kids are away on their adventure week with the school...

Hi Chick, the weather is a constant challenge eh ?

Hi Oompa, Hoping the slowpoo went ok :0)

I had a Easy to moderate 6 miles yesterday more towards the moderate end pretty much 7:44mm give or take 3 secs. Went out for the planned MP run this morning. Must admit perfect cloudy a coolish and the rain held off until I was stretching at the end of the run! I must remember to make those Wed runs more on the easy side in future! 2 mile warmup and then 6 miles at the intended MP (7:09) splits:7:06,7:05,7:09,7:00,7:03,7:05 and then 1.5 mile cool down. I hope that starts feeling a bit easier.image

• been enjoying watching the atletics in Zurich, Jo Pavey is a superwoman!!

lol, at your slowpoo Oompa, i am so slow + shit after 2 years on the bench :-/

chick - the wind has been annoying asn't it!

nice Tempo Freemers

• sorry 2 posts again, phone doesn't like runners world!

Nell good running, i am sure the m.p will get easier.

had a nightmare mlr today, headed out around 1:30 as thunderstorm forecast around 5pm, 6 miles away from home and crack, boom, was heading back, got another couple of miles then the heavens opened, it pissed down, soaked right thru, took shelter in a bus stop till it passed over, then rushed the 2.5 miles down the hill home, bloody storm followed me, was rather scary! so a soggy 12 miles done, the head cold was clearing up hopefully it doesn't come back after today!

• PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

Freemers was going to do a pool Tri next month but oddly enough the cycling is now my weakest part. So reality is I am aiming at next year

Nell your wife stubbing her toe sounds painful. Nice run there

Chick not looking at the Garmin seems to have helped image

European champs has been great. So pleased  for Jo Pavey. Our sprinters are doing well which is good to see.

I have had two ok ish runs now without feeling like I want to stop so I will keep going. Swam 4 times this week, making the most of no school run so getting early morning swimming training in. Been to have new trainer's fitted today but the ones i'm after are on their way! Managed to stay on the treadmill without falling off while have my gait analysed.

We have Barry's birthday tomorrow so we are going to Snowdonia which will be good - hopefully it won't rain! He's two years closer to taking part in an Ironman image

• No no no, not having a slow poo! My tempos' are slow and poo!image

Managed 5 miles @ 8.27... If that can be described as a tempo run?image 

On this basis, i've decided to rebrand "Don't be shit!", to "Can't help but be shit!"image

Pink - 4 times! You'll grow gills at that rate! Have a good time at Snowdonia.

Kiwi - I know exactly what you mean. Weekend before last, we were away in the Cotswolds and thought i'd go out early on the Saturday morning as weather forecast was awful after midday. Set out at 6.30 and got 3 miles out when the heavens opened, thunder & lightning, and proof that Goretex Kinvaras are anything but water tight! 

• kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭
    Oompa - you can now run 10 miles on your new knees. Thats awesome. But on a treadmill?!? urghh! and slow poos? I dont wanna know!

O4S - a shame the hoydrome wasn't what you expected - sometimes sessions just dont take off.

Nell - sounds like haddington was a useful marker for your half next month, which looks like being fast and flat!

Nice 20 chick!

Kiwi - an 11 a 17 and a 12 - its awesome that you are getting in the distance again. That 17 has got to be your longest run for some time?

Pink - in pool tri's its amazing how few people tumble turn, you only ever see a handful. Marks out the folk who swam when they were younger! Its a massive advantage if you can do them well, but I wouldnt worry about learning them especially. Sounds like theres nothing fitness wise stopping you from doing the pool tri next month - just get out and do it - they are fun!

Barry - 4 lengths without stopping! You've done the hard bit, it'll build up nicely from now - soon you'll be ploughing up and down for hours at a time.

Freemers - she was awesome. I didn't want to leave work before the race so watched it on my computer with all the cleaners shouting her on. Looking forward to see her run again in the 5000 on saturday. Likewise, didnt think Andy Vernon was gonna do it - then I thought he'd settled for bronze, but you can see the point on the final straight where he wins the argument with his legs and pushes on again for silver.
  • kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

So, the law of taper has decreed that as its a week before a marathon, its time to have a cold. Thanks law of taper. Thanks a lot.

The sportive on Sunday was super wet - no way to not be totally soaked through, we were sluicing through calf deep water and the drains were exploding like fountains. I was pootling round with a few friends way back in the pack and just wasnt going fast enough to stay warm. That usually makes me ill, so I left my friends to ride on, hopped to another part of the course to shorten my ride and joined a fast pack for a fast and furious 25 miles back. Ah yeah. Didn't stop me getting ill though.

Goddamn. At least my legs will be fresh when I eventually get back to running...

• Boo K.F.C, hope you kick that cold into touch a.s.a.p! Is your marathon next Sunday? Gosh, that has rolled around quickly! Yeah, thanks for your advice about lengthening out the 3 runs, really feeling the benefits in fitness. Hadn't done a 17 miler in a good 2 years! Out of curiosity I looked at my running diary from when I got my first G.F.A (Paris, 2008, 3 hours 41) and I was averaging 35-40 mile weeks over 5 runs. Last week was 35 miles in 3 runs... so feeling a bit better about the 3 runs a week....

Oompa - we should be running buddies - our current tempo pace is very similarimage Yup, I was a drowned rat yesterday, straight into the shower when I got home just to defrost!

Pink - 4 swims, your fitness will be rocketing through the roof, way to go image Happy Birthday Barry, hope you're having a fab time in Snowdonia!

So did the double at the gym today - Legs, Bums and Tums at 9:30, followed by Pilates at 10:30, knackered now! Really loving Pilates and feel like I do have a stronger core now when I'm running, just gutted there are no evening classes so won't be able to continue with it once back at work. Have bought a dvd to do at home, but never the same as with an instructor!

A quick question for everyone - had a little look at P&D, taking bits and bobs from there for my 3 day a week plan, and noticed they have a tune-up race down for 2 weeks before marathon day. I have never done this before but there is a local 10km (flat) 2 weeks before Abo, would you do it or not? The only races I have entered so far are an off road 10km Sep 6th, a half mara 21st Sep. Definitely wouldn't have been ready  for any races before then. 

• kfc - The 10 wasn't on the dready, it was on a local trail at night, hence the headtorch. Even i'd draw the line at wearing a headtorch on a treadmill !  Although, now you mention it...image Sorry to hear about the cold, but as you say, standard taper law! What mara are you doing?

Kiwi - I wouldn't do a race two weeks before a mara. Now before everyones yells HYPOCRITE!... I have learned from my mistakes and found a new inner peace and calm that will carry my new knees onto many new pb's... Who am i kidding, DO THE RACE!!!imageimage