RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• That's 3 of us with Achilles problems, my physio recommended heat treatment to increase blood flow.

2old - how do you keep count?

kiwi - How's the knee.

A rubbish swim session on Friday. Yesterday did a 35 mile bike ride first thing,  was a bit snotty to start off with but did n't effect me as completed route in my quickest time.  A better swim session yesterday afternoon, managed 32 lengths with 10 secs rest inbetween each length, was n't planning to do that many but felt good and kept going.  Another swim session this morning which was 1,2,3,4,3,2,1 lengths with 20 seconds between each. I can still feel this Achilles a little so will make a decision tomorrow.

• Hi Oompa, Understood on the Iron lady ;0)

Hi Pink, Hope all goes well with the training, probably not an easy decision to make..

Hi Chick, Hope the Achilles get's better, not want you want eh?

Hi 2old, How long is your holiday??

Hi Barry, Good news on the biking and swimming, easy tiger on the running image

8 miles from me yesterday morning which was a bit faster than the prescribed easy to moderate, but felt good so decided to go with the flow ;0 12 miles this morning at 7:43mm which was slightly faster than easy to moderate again (not too much though). Amazing how a bit of nice weather improves your run image 

I must admit, coming to the end of the week I did begin to feel the miles in my legs, must be the cumulative effect kicking in..

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Oh bugger, the curse of the achilles ...

2old/Barry: I'm following the Alfredsons protocol in search of relief. Google it. There's lots of YouTube clips around. Got the tip from another long term sufferer over on the daily training thread. Make no mistake, this HURTS and no way I can do 180 reps per leg!! But even with less reps it seems to work. This morning I had no pain when I got up. First few steps usually really hurt. Fingers crossed.
  • hi all,

wonder how K.F.C got on yesterday? hope you enjoyed it image

Chick - how frustrating but good you've found something which is helping.

nice mileage + pace there Nell, sounds like the theory behind the training plan is working image

Barry - good you've got swimming to keep things ticking over. My knee is ok - not 100% and still puffy but held up ok  for today's run. is your achilles good enough to run on tmrw?

2old - another achilles sufferer image hope iy comes right soon!

Pink - keep up the swimming, you'll get back into your running again.

• Oompa - gosh she sounds like the bionic woman!

Managed 12 gentle miles today, been icing and resting bar Fridays cycle to gym + double LBT/Pilates session. knee not 100% and still puffy but not painful when running, will keep up the icing treatment.....

• hi all,

wonder how K.F.C got on yesterday? hope you enjoyed it image

Chick - how frustrating but good you've found something which is helping.

nice mileage + pace there Nell, sounds like the theory behind the training plan is working image

Barry - good you've got swimming to keep things ticking over. My knee is ok - not 100% and still puffy but held up ok  for today's run. is your achilles good enough to run on tmrw?

2old - another achilles sufferer image hope iy comes right soon!

Pink - keep up the swimming, you'll get back into your running again.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Nell- only a few days of hols left

Kiwi - good stuff after an injury

Barry - I may have lost count so I always go back to the last ten if I forget .A swim version of the TM

Chick- will google it-I will try anything to fix it. Patience seems to be the best remedy from experience

A day in the beach today with some sea swims as the waves were forgiving
  • Hi kiwi, Well done on the 12 miles, hope the knee hasn't reacted badly to it?

Hi Chick, Good luck with the treatment on the Achilles.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday 2old, Autumn has began here ;o)

Out for 5 easy-moderate miles this morning. Average 7:44 mm which was spot on give a few secs. Quiet day today, wife at work and the kids at school image 

• PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Chick & 2Old sorry to hear of Achilles woes. Hope both of you start to feel better soon. Enjoy rest of your holiday 2Old

KFC Hope the Marathon went well for you

Nice 12 miles Kiwi. Yes I've kept the swimming going. Swam 6 times last week. I have a training programme that I take with me now. Although Swim club will be back on next week.

Nell I'm definitely binning Bristol HM. There are a couple of local races on - a 5 mile & a 10k so I will run those. I will be at Abbo as well to cheer Team Minni Mara runners on. image

Went swimming with Barry this morning I've definitely made use of the pass I bought while club hasn't been on. Decided to run on the TM this afternoon but had a horrible fear of falling off. I went outside to run insead in the pouring rain - it was lovely & refreshing. Downside, was my new trainer's getting wet. Enjoyed the run & didn't stop at all which is progress from where I've been.

• Kiwi - I've never seen endurance like it. She has moved onto Ultras after having kids and just about wins everything she enters!

Nell - Kids at school... On a bank holiday... In August??? image

12 miles @ 8.45 d & d yesterday but i'd be lying if i said it was easy! image Knees feel okay today though.image

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭

Yes, kfc, c'mon - how did it go??

Oompa: decent run there. Glad those knees are behaving image

Still no running here, but pain-free since the weekend. Maybe I'll chance a little recce tomorrow image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Oomp- impressive progress after all the crap you've been through

Don't get carried away now !

Nell- think you'll be moving to the sub3 thread with the way you are motoring

Barry- any progress with the Achilles?

Chick- hope the lack of symptoms means Achilles ok now

After a week with no runs did 3 miles last night. No probs with fitness- some of it sub7mm but left Achilles screaming. It feels like jelly which suggests swelling and fluid in there some how. Longer rest needed- maybe back for more shock wave therapy ? 1k swim and 20m spinning today
  • Hi Oompa, Well done on the 12 miles, bet it felt good after though ;0) Yes kids have been back at school a couple of weeks in Edinburgh. They break up end of June!

Hi Pink, I see where you are coming from and it is best to be in a place you are comfortable and build from there...

Easy does it Chick image

Hi 2old, That description of the Achilles sounds awful ;0( Sub 3? I feel a long way from there I am afraid.

Intervals this morning and another nice morning. 2 mile warmup and then into 5 x 1k (5-10k pace) with 400M recoveries, then 2 mile cool down, after I near collapsed after the last rep (it was uphill on the last bit!)image Splits:4:09. 3:57, 3:57, 3:58, 3:42,,,quite enjoyed the session, even though after a couple of bad nights sleep (on call this week).

Yes, come on kfc, spill the beans pleaseimage

• kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

Quick check in - thanks for the good luck everyone!  Well it was great conditions and a great course for a fast time, but I didn't have it in me - had a mediocre run and ended up with 3.35.  I'll post warts and all when I get the time to do so!

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    kfc - well done, still a great time image

Been off for an extended long weekend - didn't touch my phone or computer which was bliss! Got a few good runs in including a new route for my LSR on Sunday - the more undulating part of Suffolk, quite tough in places but a nice run, 12.75 miles in total, averaging 8.22.

Back to the office today - tough getting out of bed this morning!

Will read back later.
  • Nell -  Very good consistent/quick running from you.

Oompa - Well done on the 12.

kfc - good to hear from you and well done.

kiwi - Another one running 12 miles, good news on your knee.

freemers -  another 12, the new trendy run? are you fully recovered from the injury?

2old - Shit news on your Achilles, mine still an issue, I did 3 miles on Monday and even though it wasn't painful I could still feel it and know if I go longer the pain will return.  Is there a relay option for Abo.image

Lots of swimming for me over the last few days and a good day out, if wet, in the Brecon Beacons yesterday.  Still an issue with my Achilles so will wait and try a run on Friday.

• Chick - Glad you're pain-free but don't rush it.

2old - It still feels a million miles away from impressive and i still don't feel like i'm running "free"... Still feels forced?

Gym & swim this morning with 40 mins quads strengthening image, 20 mins core, followed by 20 lengths in the pool. Will try to run this evening... Once my quads and knees stop screaming!image

• kfc - Fantastic time! Especially as you didn't feel quite race ready. Very well done.

• PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

Well done KFC

How did the run go Oompa?

Nice 12 Free

Been swimming most mornings which has been great. Woke up with a sore ear this morning. Not sure if it is the start of an infection. Decided to give swimming a miss & went for a run instead. Ran a 3 mile loop & didn't look at the garmin until I stopped. First day that I actually enjoyed a run image

• FreemersFreemers ✭✭✭
    Pink - nice to enjoy a run. Unless I'm doing a session like tempo or intervals I do most of my runs without a watch - just run on feel. I do find I enjoy them a lot more that way!

Oompa - hope yesterday's run went well.

Nightmare this morning....I think we must have a wasps nest somewhere near the house...when I went for a shower and turned the light on the shower room was invaded by about 10 of the buggers attracted to the light. So there I was under the shower and no way was I coming out (being a bit of a woos!). I made OH get out of bed and come and sort them out with the bug spray before I ventured out. Needless to say he was not best pleased (well it was 5am!). Hopefully he'll get the pest people round today to sort it out.

Hoping to get some intervals in later, although they might be postponed until tomorrow. It's my birthday on Saturday and I'm half tempted to do the YKW as a treatimage
  • Hi Barry, At least the swimming and cycling to fall back on and keep you going at the moment. Not sure how you fit it all in anyway?

Hi Oompa, Where you have come from I think you are doing tremendously well and hats off to you, so stop moaning and get on with it  image Running after quad exercise....ouch!

Hi Pink, Glad you had an enjoyable run, that is how it should be  ;0)

Hi Freemers, I hope your other half sees the funny side of things later today ;0)

I ran an easy- moderate 6 yesterday averaging 7:43 which was about right give a few secs. This morning was 2 mile warm up and then 8 miles at 'intended' MP (7:09) and then 1.5 mile cool down. Ran the MP splits at 7:08, 7:04, 7:10, 7:06, 7:02, 7:06, 7:10, 7:05, can't say it was the easiest of runs and I am finding this session the tester of the week's running.

• Firstly, i'll cut to the chase... Last nights run didn't happen due to the cba fairies being at my house when i arrived home from work!image

Free - We've had at least one wasp nest (three last year), every year since we moved into our current house, so we're sort of used to them now! Hope the intervals went well.

Pink - Hope it's not an infection.

Nell - You're right! From now on i'll try to abide by Rule #5!!image Nice splits btw. What are you aiming for... sub 3.10?

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Bell/Oomp - trouble is Oomp does just get on with it even when injured

La Veulta is on down the road from me. It's 30c and I struggle to get out of the pool so no idea how they do it.

Free- happy birthday in advance

KFC- pretty good looking marathon time to me

Going to be a shock getting off the plane tomorrow .. I'm hoping the spinning I've done over the last few days is helping my Achilles. Thinking of doing the Wimbledon HM in October with two of my kids so fingers crossed
  • Nell -  well done on the MP run. Plenty of time to fit the training in, 8 hours kip 8 hours working leaves 8 hours training time plus I have an understanding OH.image

2old - Loving watching La Vuelta, amazing athletes even more so in the heat.

48 miles on the bike this morning, I attempted to extend my 35 miles route by a few but got lost, knew Id gone wrong when I ended up in the outskirts of Newburyimage .  Got some abuse off the horse riders of Lambourne, they were riding out the race horses down the road. I've got no problem giving way to horses but when there are about 30 of them and 3 deep across the roadimage  I'm going to overtake them.

• 2old - 30c! I'm in my office wearing a jumper... In August... and a coat!!image

Barry - I share your sentiments re horse riders. They often ride three abreast down one of my local trail routes and moan like a drain when i have the audacity to squeeze past them as my hi-viz might scare Dobbin!!!!image

6 miles progressive intervals on the dready last night culminating in an earth-shattering 800m rep at 13.5 km/h... I dead fast ay i.image

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Oomp - I'm home now- can I borrow your coat!  Getting there even if it's nowhere on the TM

Barry- nice bit of getting lost on the bike there..the bike miles are accumulating ...don't think I'd argue with a horse either

Very painful TM 5k. Looks like I'm off to the physio next week. an hours spinning  to make up for the frustration 

• kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

OK folks, here we go warts and all...

Reykjavik marathon 2014

Given some inconsistent training, I probably should have gone for 3.30 pace, but decided to go at 3.20 pace in the hope I'd have a good day and be in line for a pb.  Dodgy tactics that got me a 3.42 in VLM, so hoped I'd last longer this time.

My Garmin died, so I fell in with the 1.40 pacer for the half that started at the same time to help me click into the right pace.  Great conditions for me - no wind or rain, overcast and cool.  Kept with the pacer for the first 20k and felt good for most of it, but realised just before halfway when chatting to some american ladies who were driving their own 3.20 bus that I was starting to lose it.  

Through half in 1.41, then between 20 and 30k felt pretty bad.  Knew my pace had dropped, and hadn't expected that so soon but felt weak and couldn't do much about it.  Not a fun bit of running, and struggled with stitches on and off.  

From about 30k I felt mentally better knowing I was closer to the finish, and felt like I picked up the pace a bit for the last 10k.  Doing my sums, I worked out that I'd probably be on for 3.33, which I wasn't too happy with, but made my peace with.  Then coming into the last kilometer, ready to give it the big skills strong finish, I got hit by a super stitch - man, it floored me!  My big finish ruined, I grimaced across the line in 3.35.  

So, not a great run, which I didn't really enjoy.  I'd have probably been better off going for 3.30 pace, but given how weak I felt I'm not sure I'd have been able to keep it up later in the race.  Immediately after I wasn't too keen to marathon again, but I'm now thinking of trying to fit in another this autumn.  Hmm, some thinking to do!

• kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

Marathon aside, Iceland was awesome.  I did lots of bathing.  I do like a good bathing culture, its rather disappointing we dont go for sociable baths in the UK.

Best thing was that my mate clocked 4.13 taking a massive 16mins off her pb - she now properly believes me that she can run sub 4 and is nice and enthused!

Did my first run post marathon today - 7M including a parkrun in 21.32, not quite a PW but not far off.  My last mile was not pretty!

• Nice report kfc.image Wonder why you got "stitched up"? Different pre race fuel/meal? Have you had this before?

Btw we do have communal bathing, it's called the ice bucket challenge... and i'm sick of 'em!image 

Must be nearly Christmas... Bah humbug!image

• Hi guys,

have been reading, Mr Kiwi has had this week off, so not much time on the internet.

KFC - wow, well done, I actually don't know how you survive with unconventional training and then bang out a 3:35 marathon - that is amazing, I've worked like a trooper in the past and only ever managed a p.b of 3:34! I love that you are contemplating another autumn marathon!

Cheer up Oompa -  I ended up doing the ice bucket challenge this week, had thought I'd got away with not being nominated, but oh no! took part as raising money for charity is always a good thing. Good to see you back to doing intervals image

2Old - boo, sorry to hear the achilles is still playing up image Hope the fizz sorts it for you.

Barry - great mileage on the bike - I hear ya re horseriders, heaven forbid if I actually want to run past them!! Although dog walkers are on my hit list this week, I politely changed direction of my 800s on Tuesday after going past a dog off the lead, figured if I went in the other direction for the next rep, they would be off the filed by the time I finished - only for them to allow the dog to chase me once my back was turned, I didn't hear it as my headphones were in, gave me a hell of a fright, followed by some choice words!

Nell - your training is going so well, you'll have a smashing marathon!

Happy Birthday for Saturday Freemers - hope you had a nice day, did you run a ykw?

Chick - have you been out running?

I'll admit I am really struggling this week - it is more mentally than anything else - just not enjoying my runs as worried about the knee going again. Did 800s Tuesday, a bit puffy but no pain, 10 miles Thursday and yet to do my lsr as am only just recovering from last night's curry and wine, 3am to bed! Am dressed in my running clothes though, so will pop out late for a wee jog...