RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• PinkladyPinklady ✭✭✭

Happy Birthday for yesterday Freemers image hope YKW went well for you

Nell nice run there - yea I think i'm an understanding OH image Luckily for Barry the kids are older now & he's on shift work which means he also cooks the dinner image

Oompa don't think my ear has infection as it seems alot better than what it was. I love that cba fairies! brilliant image I did my ice bucket challenge on Friday, a bag of ice was used. Don't know how to upload it on FB so hopefully the eldest will sort it for me when she's home. I'm sure Barry secretly enjoyed chucking the bucket over me! You could hear the ice bouncing off the decking! image

KFC Great race report. I know your not happy with the time but it's still good. I understand not enjoying a race, I felt like that with my last HM & when your not enjoying it, it's hard but well done. Amazing place to run a marathon as well. 

Kiwi hope the run went ok today

Well, i've done plenty of swimming this week & been most mornings. Good job as the coach is back tomorrow. Decided to bite the bullet & run first thing this morning. Ran a loop which takes in part of Swindon HM & you can tell that's coming up in Oct as lots of runners around. I actually enjoyed it & before I knew it I had completed 7 miles with a couple of difficult hills thrown in. Early night tonight as swimming training 6am tomorrow.

• Pink - good to see you enjoying your running again image hope your ear has settled.

well, i did it 15.7 miles, i won't lie, it was very slow but feel pleased as the knee didn't do it's floatly thing, so other than the curry/wine burps it was quite enjoyableimage

• kiwi - well done for getting the run done. No dogs hopefully.

kfc - well done again on the mara and good report, not what you wanted but you went for it,  most of us can relate to the horrible feeling of it's not going to be our day and the pace slowing.

2old - I'm upping the cycling miles as I need to get some endurance training in as worryingly I have a marathon 7 weeks today.

Another 48 miles on the bike this morning, great weather for it, still not running as achillles is still twinging, will run on Wednesday which will be a test run  as I'm meant to be doing Maidenhead HM on Sunday

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

KFC-that was a very impressive marathon bearing in mind your training regime was based around triathlons etc.As Minni explained here many times pacing is everything

Oomp-dont mention Xmas-I need time to mend to train for VLM

Kiwi-well done getting the near 16 miler done- youre getting there.Would you recommend curry as a carbo loading alternative?

Barry-looks like Im going to have to bike it too -injury is so frustrating.Ive binned the idea of doing Abbo and my plans for doing regular HMs this Autumn are in shreds.Im convinced this achilles thing is caused by my tight calf caused by sciatica--the achilles is the weak spot in the chain and is being aggravated or pain is being referred there. The problem is breaking this chain of unfortunate events. Hope youll be ok for your HM this weekend

Pink-we need more positive thinking please.Are you doing the HM with Barry?Good swimming by the way

I did the Crosby Marine Lake 1500m swim yestrday. Slow as ever-about 38mins.Excuses-1. panic attack caused by the cold-I know 16c is not cold but all my swimming in August was in the sea or pools over 25c. 2.Going off too fast and struggling to get my heart rate down for the next 5 mins. 3. Taking in  too much salt water with the waves and being sick . 4. Goggles steaming up and getting lost and having to stop and ask an Iron man distance swimmer the way.

• Hi Oompa, Yes sub 3:10 is the aim...imageAre you just running on the treadmill at the moment?

Hi Barry, I suppose that is the beauty of working shifts, with the hours being set. yes luckily I have a good OH who humours me ;0) Nice miles all round at the moment Barry....Is the running feeling stronger with the cycling miles?

Hi kfc, Nice report and well done on getting through the stitch. Bet that was not very pleasant... At least you had a nice bath after eh? ;0) And already running after the marathon?

Hi kiwi, Glad to hear you got the LSR done without any knee issues and after a curry and wine? wowza!

Hi Pink, Nice to hear you are enjoying the runs again.

Hi 2old, Sounds as though you are having a bit of a time of it. Hope the achilles sorts out soon. Lakes are for sailing in not swimming..image

Not a bad weekend of running for me, Saturday was 10 miles at easy to moderate pace running at the more moderate end at average 7:51mm which was more or less give a few secs. Sunday was the same again with 16 miles and ended up running that at average 7:43mm again pretty much give a few secs either side. This morning was an easy 5 miles @ average 8:02mm. Intervals in the morning! image

Typical, my son has a cold and I have got the Scottish HM coming up this weekend, so I will no doubt go down with it about Thursday night once it has worked through the household...

• nice running Nell, hope your son doesn't pass his cold onto you - you could try first defence nose spray, meant to help keep colds at bay.

2Old - really hope you get a solution to that sciatica, must be so frstrating for you!

Barry - good bike miles, hopefully your test run goes well tmrw.

I'm still feeling wobbly about Abo.- yes, the knee was ok for Sunday's slow jog, it wasn't happy cycling to the gym yesterday and is achey today image as well as strapping it i now have a knee support, just finding it really hard to visualise being able to run 26 miles without my leg falling apart. hate how injuru completely knocks your confidence image

• Hi kiwi, Yes I have the First Defence in the cupboard on standby image. What date is your marathon ? Feel for you with the knee, I do hope it picks up...

Didn't want to get up this morning, but once out I felt ok. Interval session today 2 mile warm up and then 3 x 2 miles @ MP -10 ( 6:59) with 1/2 mile recoveries then 2 mile cool down. Interval splits: : 13:28, 13:35, 13:38, I must admit I wasn't looking forward to this session but it is amazing how you can trick the mind, once into the second rep I was telling myself only one to go image 

• kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

Thanks for the nice words about my run people, but I did get the performance I deserved from inconsistent training and an overoptimistic race strategy.  Again! image   Basically, the only answer is to retire and become a full time athlete - thats what worked for me last year!

Oompa - its so hard to tell with stitches.  Luckily its not something I get that often, cant say there was anything obvious.  May have been that cos it was cold the water was very cold, or that I had some powerade later in the race (which I dont usually do) - although that was after I got the first one.  Cant say I was feeling that good mentally when I got the first one either - it could have been self sabotage!

2old - sounds like a lovely swim! image

Pink - nice 7 miler!  Mojo back?

Nell - hope the cold misses you

Kiwi - its so great seeing you running again after such a long comeback, and being able to bang out 15 milers is awesome.  It sounds like you are starting to think about whether you want to take a risk and come back so quickly into marathoning again, or keep to shorter distances while you continue to get your body happy with the punishment of running long?

On that note, I've been mulling over my next move.  BH was the unlikely voice of reason pointing out quite rightly that I've not got the base speed to run as quick as I'd like right now, and I find it hard to train or recover consistently when I'm working.  His view is I should bin trying to race marathons right now and do shorter faster stuff instead.  I'm inclined to agree - it'll be much easier to find time to train for 10k and halfs, and it means I can bash out loads more races without having to taper/recover.  So apart from beachy head marathon (which I'm not gonna do fast!), I think I'm gonna stick to shorter races til VLM...  

• quick check in, folks.

Kfc: well done on a decent marathon time! It probably wasn't pretty but you did it. Good luck with the short, fast stuff image

2Old wrote (see)

Barry-looks like Im going to have to bike it too -injury is so frustrating.Ive binned the idea of doing Abbo and my plans for doing regular HMs this Autumn are in shreds.Im convinced this achilles thing is caused by my tight calf caused by sciatica--the achilles is the weak spot in the chain and is being aggravated or pain is being referred there. The problem is breaking this chain of unfortunate events. Hope youll be ok for your HM this weekend

Same here image. I would have raced a 10k on Sunday, a 10 miler a week later and HMs on October 5 and 26. All this just went down the drain image. Just as well that I have not done anything about the Turin marathon!! Coz that won't happen either the way things are going image

Have a physio booked in 2 weeks time, hoping for some miracle exercises. Right now I can run about 2 or 3k with no pain but then I can feel it and it's just not right.

I found out that I can do about 2 hours on the MTB without my back playing up. So that's my cross training right now... a rusty old MTB that I bought for 50 quid years ago!!

That swim sounds scary, 2old. 16 degrees is mighty cold IMHO.

Nell: you are running really well at the moment. Nice.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Nell-good to see someone maintaining the standard of running we expect here..hope to join you again soon...? ...one day?

KFC-that 5k suggests you have the pace to do a fast marathon...maybe its necessary to add mileage too? Had to laugh when you dismissed doing marathons for a while then mentioned one you're doing soon and another most of us  are hoping to be fit for which is creeping up faster that I'm comfortable with.

Kiwi-keep the faith-you will get to Abbo!

Pink-I'd kill to run 7 at the mo..good running

Chick-sorry to see the lack of progress.At least you can run 2-3k more than me without pain. Im experimenting grinning and bearing it but about 4 miles is as far as I can get. Do you think the achilles issue has anything to do with your back problem? I would'nt be suprised if it is. Be careful not to overstretch the achilles and cause further damage.Anyway please report back what your physio says,Im looking for the magic cure

70 mins of spinning and about 5k yestrday and 2k swim today. Oh I signed up for a Sprint Tri in a couple of weeks...its what you do when in pain isnt it?

• Kiwi -  keep your chin up, you have done really well so far, carry on with the training but don't push the knee and make a decision regarding abo nearer the time ( 6 weeks on Sundayimage)

Nell - Good running, please don't get injured, someone from the thread needs to have a good autumn mara. Don't know about cycling helping my running as I've only ran twice in the last 3 weeks.

2old - Can't wait to try open water swimming next year you make it sound so appealing.image

kfc - Sounds like a plan, no more marathons til VLM apart from one in Octoberimage. But you're right you need have to have the speed at shorter distances(which I haveimage) but this needs to be balanced with the endurance we get from marathon training(which I don't seem to be able to getimage)

Not great news from me, only swimming so far this week, saw my physio yesterday who recommended no running until pain/ache completely gone from Achilles, he gave it some treatment and said  to  carry on with calf raises and I've applied some KT to give it some support, so unless I have  a miracle recovery in the next couple of days no HM for me Sunday.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Barry- OW swimming is getting very popular around here-so much so that you can swim virtually all year round-through winter too- without wet suits if you like? That's not good to hear ...I had hoped your Achilles issues would be short lived. I've booked a sports massage for next week..I'm still convinced my problem is caused higher up the leg or even in my lower back . Don't rule it out yourself . If we were meant to spend all our time swimming we'd be fish 

ran 10k in just under 44mins tonight. Achilles went from sore to numb. Glutes throbbing a bit too. 

• hope everyones niggles get sorted!

haven't run since Tues, got a physio appointment booked for tmrw after work, will see what he says (hopefully not that I need to stop running!)

• kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

chick - the race pic I've got of me walking and not looking happy proves it wasnt pretty!  No-ones ever seeing that one!

2old - yep, when you look at it that way i see what you mean! you should have seen my original plan...  Agree I need some good mileage, but I find it so hard to find the time to do it, so its way more realistic to focus shorter.  Also, I really need that good confidence building race when I feel strong - more likely if I can race more often!

Sending good vibes for niggles over the weekend.  Heading away for a friends wedding - hoping to make it to barrow parkrun tomorrow before it kicks off image

• Haha, kfc  I can imagine image

2old: that doesn't sound too clever ... but then numb is better than painful I guess image

fingers crossed, kiwi.

No training to report here. Just can't be arsed to bike half-heartedly around but I must start my back exercises again. Or give eventually give up the idea of me as a runner and just get fat image

• Hi kfc, Not quite sure which way you are going with the races, but whatever you choose, good luck ;0)

Hi Chick, hope the pain eases off, how about the rowing machine in the meantime ?

Hi 2old, In pain and signing up for a Tri?

Hi Barry, Hopefully the lay off the running will help. At least the cycling and swimming is keeping you busy?

Hi kiwi, Hope the physio session goes ok.

I had my Tempo/MP run yesterday, not slept well this week so by the time I got to Thursday I was feeling it a bit. Once I got going though it was not too bad. 2 mile warm up 9 miles with splits: 7:09, 7:02, 7:08, 7:02, 7:05, 7:04, 7:06, 7:05, 6:58 then 1 mile cool down. I must admit I met a couple of people on the one mile cool down so that broke it down a bit ;0)

Scottish HM tomorrow and so far managed to dodge the cold from my son!

• HI Guys, Scottish HM today. Course basically starts at Tranent which is a few miles from the coastal route of the Edinburgh Marathon. and then joins the coastal road at about Longniddry head off towards Gosford House and you then turn at the Gosford House entrance and head back to Musselburgh Racecourse. Finishing at the racecourse itself which was nice. Drove to Musselburgh dropped the car off and got the shuttle bus to Tranent, organisation was pretty good except for the usual lack of toilets. Luckily they had some 'mens cubicles' so all was well :0)

I had a better race than Haddington the other week (no wine and chocolate the night before!). It had been raining yesterday, but today was dry and about 14 degrees with a forecast wind of 5mph, so ideal really...

Race went ok, and I had the good fortune to settle behind one guy at a good pace for the first 6 miles or so and then behind a girl for the remainder who was setting a good pace for me. Felt ok on the run although the last push at the end got me.

Aim was 6:40-45mm if I could handle it to get under 1:30

Splits: 6:33, 6:43, 6:39, 6:33, 6:35, 6:39, 6:40, 6:43, 6:42, 6:38, 6:45, 6:44,
    6:41, 2:12. With a finish time of 1:28:53, average pace 6:39.

In all I enjoyed the event, and the organisation was pretty good, the only problem was I thought my garmin was way out with the mile markers. My garmin beeping well before the mile marker. On finishing I spoke to a couple of other guys and they had the same problem. So not sure whether the course was slightly longer than 13.1 miles. My garmin read 13.36? I know you do end up running a bit more with crossing etc, and the garmin is not pinpoint, but I usually find it not this much out....

Anyway I broke 1:30 so I am happy image

• Well done, Nell. That's a cracking time. Was it a PB?
  • Well done Nell, a great race for you + phew that you avoided your son's cold!

Barry, 2old + Chick - how are your achilles, any running? 2old - how did your's reaact post 10km run?

K.F.C - think i'm with you on the shorter distances, beginning to think i was an idiot signing up for a marathon image

• physio was ok Friday, massaged, ultra sound, stretched + gave me more exercises plus told to continue icing. Am going to try 10 miles today, he said running would be ok as long as it was slow (as comfortable for me at a slow pace) and cut mileage back. it is my patella tendon which is inflammed (again!), back to physio Friday. Realistically doubting Abo will be on in 6 weeks time.....

• (((Kiwi))) effing tendons image

I found a run walk stretch routine that allows me to do 5-6 miles per day. It's better than no running... I run for 10mins, stretch, walk a minute, repeat. All this on a sandy footpath. It's not great but so far I'm pain free image. Am going to build the running segments as time goes on. Hopefully that'll sort it.

Have also been doing minni's Core H routine (ouch!!!!!) and glute exercises. I find they help when concentrating on good running form. My posture sucks if I don't focus ....
  • Hi Chick, I hope the run, stretch, walk routine works. I think the glute exercises a must, they seem to be the route of many problems.....certainly mine! Yes, thank you, that was a PB for my HM as well as the first time under 1:30 image

Hi Kiwi, I do hope the 10 miles goes ok for you today. I am really feeling for you at the moment image... again thank you, yes luckily managed to sidestep the cold for once!

Chick/kiwi, Do you ever go for the cold bath treatment ? I try to have a cold bath after my longer runs for 10-15 mins and find it helps. I was getting a bit of tightness in the upper right glute for a few weeks and then just hit the cold baths every day for a few days... and applying ice on the area on the evening and it seems to have eased off a hell of a lot now. The cold treatment is not to be underestimated image always take a cup of tea with you though!

• Easy 4 at 8:05mm today, and another lovely morning, quite nice to have a short run on a Sunday for once ;0)

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Kiwi- hope all that treatment works. My Achilles is still sh!t but Im battling on 

Chick- interesting method od dealing with your injury. 

Nell- congrats on an excellent HM pb. Well deserved and a great follow up to your marathon. Sub 90 HMs will seem straight forward from now on and you'll wonder why it took so long

Did Minni do the GNR ? How did it go?

A weekend in the Lake Disrtict with some lovely walks plus a 6 mile painful run for me . Busy week coming up

• Chick - good you found a method that works, hope it comes right for you!

Nell - even better a p.b + first time under 1:30, hope you celebrated in style! is your training plan a 6 day a week one?

2old - sorry your achilles is still causing you grief image

did 12 very slow miles today, knee was ok, been icing it this afternoon. very much wanted to do longer but remembered promise to physio not to do more than 10 miles till i see him again next Friday. so i keep chopping between Abo is on, Abo is off! if i am allowed to do a long run next weekend could use the half mara on the 21st Sep to help decide once + for all. Definitely a rollercoaster this injury malarky!!

• Nell - Congrats on the HM performance very well done.

kiwi - Good news on your 12 miles.

2old - Maybe you've got to bite the bullet and take a  break from the running, see what your physio advises.

Still no running for me.  Did n't enjoy Friday night's swim club session, got held back when doing 40 lengths with rest even though I felt OK and was told my right arm was crossing at the front( hard work this swimming).  Saturday's swim club was better and managed a 48 and 50 mile bike ride over the weekend so at least getting some endurance training in.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Kiwi-take one day at a time and dont stress over Abbo-if it happens it happens.....wish I could follow that advice.Well done getting that 12 done

Barry-how long since you've run? No improvement at all? I hear what you say about no running but previous experience suggests that active recovery is ok so far as the achilles is concerned assuming I dont overdo it.Im still convinced the achilles is complaining over a problem elsewhere.You really have made good progress with the bike....maybe it will become your No1 activity

Whilst on the HawksHead ferry yesterday got chatting to a girl about to start her 18m long run around a big part of Windermere.Felt so jealous as thats about where I should be now...running 18mile LRs I mean.

Did 6.2m run this am in 45mins (still painful)and 1800m swim this lunchtime

• HI kiwi, Really glad the 12 miles went ok, yes 6  day training plan, Friday rest day!

Hi Barry, Nice miles on the bike. Yes the swimming sounds a lot of hard work...

Hi 2old, Hope things start getting better soon ;0(

Easy 6 miles yesterday for me and intervals this morning 2 mile warm up/ cool down and 4 x 1200 @ 5-10k pace with 400M recoveries. Splits: 4:43, 4:38, 4:49, 4:41,

Had a massage yesterday and I was informed that there is a right rumpus over the Scottish HM. apparently the extended mile was mile 5-6 making the overall course a quarter of a mile longer!

• 2old- Last time I ran was Bank holiday Monday, so just over 2 weeks ago, and last decent week of running training was first week of August.image I hope I'm getting some active recovery from swimming and cycling.  Achilles is much better still slightly swollen and tender only halfway up, don't want to run  and it to flare up again, but with Abo not thay far away I will have to try it soon.

Nell - Maybe with the independence vote looming they wanted to make the Scottish HM "better" than the others.image Good news though for you meaning your time was even more impressive as you were probably in the low 1:27's for the correct distance.

Cycled yesterday and today.  This morning included a steep downhill I had not ridden before and I bottled it a bit and had to brake, checked Garmin after which showed I had hit 40 mph.

• I know it has generally been quieter on here but the thread does not appear in the Hot Threads or Spring Marathon section when posts are logged.image