RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Chick- dumb struck !  2 hour run after Achilles trouble. Impressed. Great that there were no problems too ..probably the most important point. Take care rebuilding. I agree ...that Autumnal feeling arrived today...looking forward to running in the dark soon image

Pink- good running and swimming and don't worry about the tunnels,you'll sprint through them

Kiwi- have fun in Germany ...school trip ? Octoberfest more likeimageThink the TRI training helps with the speed...such as it is .congrats getting that race done so well 

Barry- very pleased that all went well....even if it was uncomfortable. How are you planning the remaining phase to Abbo?

Nell -another one banked ,not many to go 

KFC- about time your tough schedule caught up image...good going all the same. 

Fleetwood Tri was my last TRI of the season. Fleetwood can be a bleak place when windy and wet but yesterday was glorious. 400m swim 8.20 including transition,20 k bike 40.20 including transition ,5k run 20.38 total 1.09.20. 7 mins quicker than last week though the swim was 100m shorter. Pleased with my run ..only 27 secs slower than Saturdays park run . Happy with the cycling too as I do very little and was only 30secs behind a friend who regularly cycles over 100 miles a week. Bit sad the TRI season is over but now I can recross from the dark side and like Chick start building my running up again. 

• Hi kiwi, Well done on the HM, that is super news image Enjoy the beer, I mean School trip!

Talking about enjoying beer, well done on the night out kfc probably not the best run to complete after a late night out, but good on you for getting round in that time after such a late night/early morning image

Hi Pink, Well done on the 10 miler, mojo coming back ?

Hi Chick, Well done on the 2 hr run, great idea to just run by time and sounds like it did the trick ;0) followed by a lunchtime 5 today (Achilles what?) Yes trying not to think too much on the lack of 20/22 milers on this plan. But with the 10 milers on the Saturday you feel the miles on the Sunday!

well done on the Tri 2old, getting a fast 5k in there as well, super stuff!

6 miles for me this morning average 7:49mm. Legs were a bit heavy after the running the weekend and then went over to Glasgow last night for a concert and was on my feet watching the bands from 7:30-10:30, great gig, but my legs didn't thank me image Then a bit of S&C in the gym this afternoon...

• kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

woah there barry - you didnt say you had a 10s head start!  Not sure I'd claim the win in those circumstances...  image 

• 2old - very impressive tri especially the swim. Plan for Abo, is 15 to18 this weekend, 20 next, then 15 the weekend before the race.  With a shorter run and a MLR  during the weeks.

kiwi -  well done onthe HM, good to see you are positive about it and racing again.

kfc - well done on your half for other reasons, rather you than me racing with a hangover. And woah yourself I know my swimming is n't anything special(yetimage) and pink is good but the 1 length race was headstartless(new word).  I suggested the 10 second per length handicap to make the 400m race fairer.

5 miles this morning in the mist after nights -  all good.  Then the dentist, result is I need to have a tooth pulled, the one that's caused me grief over the years, it's now dead and has an abscess beneath it causing infection.  Planned for the week before Abo, interesting the dentist said I would feel better/ fitter after due to fighting the infection would be causing the body to be weaker and funnily enough my resting heart rate has been a lot higher for the last few weeks. 

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Nell-no suprise your legs were tired  bet you are looking forward to the taper. Im interested to see how you get on without the traditional series of 20 mile LRs in your schedule

Barry-Im not so sure Mrs2O would enjoy the competition you have ongoing with Pink.She would probably stop to drown me. Painful teeth didnt seem to slow down Dustin Hoffman  in Marathon Manimage. The last thing you want is that affecting your concentration over 26.2 miles.I had hoped to see a 7 in my swim time and it may have been but I will never know because it includes transition. Good to see you got another painfree run in and all starting to look on course for Abbo for you.I know I have lost the physical conditioning to run over 10 miles at present even though Ive got the aerobic conditioning.

Rest day on Monday .Signed up for the Great North Swim 2 miles next year so went and swam 2.6k at lunchtime.A long way to go yet. Ran 7.5 miles last night watching Liverpool--enough said!

• Hi Barry, Yes get that tooth out. If that starts playing up marathon day it would be a nightmare....just ask Ant, wherever he is?

Watching Liverpool 2old wow, that must have been a long 7.5 miles. They like penalties those two teams!

Yes, I am just keeping faith in the plan with regards to this non existent 20 milers. Certainly running the 10 miles on the Saturday would kill me off if I ran the 20 on the Sunday too, along with the sessions from the midweek. Just hoping the wheels stay on 2old. Not really much of a taper either image

Intervals for me yesterday, Warm up 2 miles 400-800-1200-1600-1200-800-400 @ 5k-10k pace with 400 meter jog between each.Cool down 2 miles. Splits:1:30,3:04, 4:34, 6:29, 4:39, 3:11, 1:33

7.75 miles today,  easy-moderate at the moderate end averaging 7:41mm. It was dark when I set out this morning ;0 Then a nice drive to Aberdeen and back today for work....now knacked!

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Nell- I stopped the TM at full time as I thought it unsafe carrying on with all that was going on on the field. You're probably right about the effect of 20 milers. I wonder if they are why I get injured. Fast intervals there and good dawn run too. No wonder you're knackered. I'm not suggesting you vary from the schedule ..I'm fascinated watching how it plays out - definitely stick with it. 

Yes what happened to Ant? 

Planned an easy 8 after work but it was a bit faster than expected- 7.36mm. Couple of hours  recovery after that and a mile swim session of intervals and technique stuff. I'm knackered too. 

• Nell - Nice pacy running. I read the article on the Hanson plan a while ago and the logic makes sense.

2old - I think me and you have the same running strategies/luck, we always enjoy running at a faster pace than recommended, and are quite injjury prone,  so maybe the Hanson plan is the way to go. Excellent training from you.

Swimming lesson yesterday and after last friday's 400m time trial my coach said my turns were very poor, "it was like watching an interval session in the pool" imageso worked on using the wall and strong leg kick to get a good start to every length. 11 miles this morning at 7:26 avg.

Don't know how everyone else fees but maybe it time admit this thread is lost is the depths of RW.  We seem to have lost a lot of regulars(cause they can't find us) and due to not being seen under the Hot Threads or Spring Marathon banners we won't attract any newbies. I think we need to start a new thread under a very similar banner, I know we will lose all the history.  I don't know who's been on the thread longest out of Chick, kfc, Kiwi or 2old  but they could have the honour of kickstarting the new thread.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Barry - don't worry about the swimming ..it's getting there believe it or not. A break through moment occurs every so often....usually when I'm thinking of quitting. Encouraging (excellent)11 miler by you ..one or two more of those and I'm sure confidence for Abbo will start to return. Don't know about you but I'm convinced TRI training gives me a bit more speed which reminds me my marathon pb was after a summer of it .

I was thinking the same as you about needing to kick start this or starting a new thread. Shame about the history but I suppose it will still be somewhere. I think the honour must go to Chick Kiwi or KFC. I'm off for a bit so will look out for the new one .

no run today but did an hour and a half spinning. 

• Hi 2old, Nice paced 8 miler, spinning is something I have never got into. See them at the gym...looks hard workimage

Hi Barry, Nice 11 from you, the lay off doesn't seem to have effected your pace thankfully, nor 2old's come to think of it!

I had MP/Tempo run yesterday. 1.5 warm up/cool down then Splits:6:57, 6:56, 7:00, 7:02, 6:56, 7:02, 6:52, 7:04, 7:01, 6:57 That is the last 10 miler MP thankfully, down t 6 next week...

Just S&C today.

• Lovely morning today, out early with 10 miles at 7:29mm average.

• Nell - Good running and you're right a great morning for it.

2 swim sessions yesterday, one off nights in the morning and club session last night. 48 miles out on the bike this morning and really enjoyed it, have n't been out for a couple of weeks but achilles was a little tight this morning so delayed planned longish run until tomorrow.

• Hi Barry, Two sessions of swimming in the one day, serious stuff! Hope the long run goes ok today.

Question for you and the other cyclists on the thread. What is script with cycling on a Sunday? Reason being, when I was on my run this morning, there was a cycling club going along the road in double file. When they went past  parked cars on the dual carriageway they continued in double file and blocked off the road. To say the least the motorists were not too pleased. I suppose you could say it is Sunday, chill out. But I did think it was a bit thoughtless and inviting confrontation ?

16 miles this morning, average 7:36mm, that is the last 16 miler. I must say I have quite enjoyed the 16 mile runs....just hope it works!

• Nell - Solid strong running from you as per, you've certainly put the training in so hope you get what you deserve at York.  Only just started cycling and go out solo so can't comment but common sense would say to not block the road, some drivers are n't the most patient.

Another swim club session yesterday afternnon and really enjoyed it, coach was impressed with my effort levels but after 45 mins commented "you look knackered and you're technique has gone" not one to mince his words. 15 miles run this morning at 7:44 avg and it was hard going probably due yesterday's efforts but another 11 miles on top of that in 3 weeks time, can't wait. image

• Morning all!!!

long time no visit. I've got you on my bookmarks on my phone and a lot of the time it's greyed out so I can't post. 

Looks like everyone's doing ok. I see a lot on Facebook. 

Barry - glad you're still up for Abo. Sorry to hear you've been injured. Think spoons is gonna be there too. 

2old - are you coming back from injury ok?

nell - what are you training for? Still speedy!!!

pink - good to see you're building up to Wokingham. 

kiwi - well done on getting that half marathon done. Sorry you've had to withdraw from abo but definitely the right thing to do. 

This summer I've been triathlon training. Did a 3.8k open water swim last month. Did the Olympic at reading a few weeks ago and was 1st v40 5th overall. Then I did a team tri at dorney last week and bumped into Our Ant!! he was with his Trent team! Great to see him. I've done a few parkruns and got that down to 20:27 a few weeks ago. And yesterday I did our local 10k and was First Lady with a pb of 41:41 image so it's now 3 weeks to Abingdon and 6 weeks to the French Riviera marathon. Not sure whether to push abo or take them both relatively easy??? 

• Morning

Hey - welcome back AA image

I was very undecided whether to race yesterday but decided to. Glad I did as I finished the Two Tunnels 10k in just past my PB in 58.42, my garmin time as there was no chip timing. Nearly freaked in the mile tunnel coming back but kept going.

Like Barry I doubled up on swimming last Friday which was good.  The training session this morning was tough. 6 x 300s with 15 second rest after each 300. Then speed training with fins - I will sleep well tonight!

Will read back later but hope everyone is OK.

• Hi Barry, Great news on the 15 miles and at a good pace too. That's the kind of coach you want, not good to hear at the time but at least he doesn't let you fall into bad habits? image

Yes, on the cyclists and motorists. I don't think either do themselves any favours. I'll stay on foot !

Hi AA, Great to hear from you, you have been busy. Well done on.... err, everythingimage. I would be interested to hear how you get on with the Riviera Marathon. I did contemplate that one last year, but ended up running the Alnwick to Bamburgh Marathon....idyllic, but in a different way ;0) I think I remember looking at the profile and it looked ok apart from a climb in Antibes if I remember correctly? Just keep off the Pastis 51 !

Hi Pink, Well done on the 10k, followed by a punishing morning in the pool...good stuff!

Six miles this morning at 7:47mm average. Legs were a bit tired after weekend. Finished run yesterday and then was on the go all day. First experience of DOMS on this training plan last night ;0(

• kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

Gah - too busy right now!  Cheeky oly tri for me yesterday, it was a tired mediocre performance a good 5 mins off of what I should be doing - really should have done some swim and bike training...

AA - thats a sweet set of results you've had this summer!  Push abo like hell, you are on form!

Nell - the people driving need to chill out!  No different to the respect you'd give any other road user, if someone wants to overtake people cycling they just need to be patient and hang back til its safe to pass.  I find people who arent used to driving around people cycling often assume they are way faster and think they have to get past as soon as they can, do a dangerous overtaking move and then often have to slow ahead for something - and then you come right back past them again.  Its always much better for someone driving to chill out and wait.  When you are in an experienced group you tend to know where the places are that people will be tempted to do sketchy moves, and its often safer for everyone for the group to ride to discourage those then wave people by to overtake on safer stretches of road - the group will usually know where these are and slow if needed to allow people to overtake.  Its also a much safer overtaking move to go past 8 people cycling 2 a breast than 8 in single file - firstly the driver has to have enough room to properly overtake, and secondly that move then takes less time as its only half the distance.

ha - essay over!

• Nell - Taper well and look after yourself for the next 2 weeks.

AA - Good to see you back. Congrats on your performances, if your long runs have gone well I'd say go for it at Abo, I look forward to seeing you disappear in to the distance.

Just over 8.5 miles this morning at 7:14 avg, achilles OK.  Managed to move my tooth extraction to next week to get it over sooner before Abo.

•  

HI kfc, Thanks for the explanation. What we should have is a government policy for everybody to swap each week eh?

HI Barry, Nice speedy 8.5, good news on getting the tooth in before the marathon ;0)

Yes, I have managed to get myself on a training course in London next week, so will spend Mon-Thurs sitting at a desk image

Interval session for me this morning. warm up 1.5miles3x2 miles @ Goal MP-10 secs/mile w/ 1/2 mile jog recoverycool down 1.5 miles. Garmin went a bit AWOL on the last rep reporting I was running 12.5 mm! Splits:13:18, 13:27, approx 13:30-40? (Garmin went AWOL)

• Barry - long runs have all been done at a very slow pace. No MP miles at all. I'm thinking of 3:25-3:35 at the moment. just saw we can't listen to music. Gonna do 16 on Friday and might pick it up for a few. 7x800s this morning. Legs still tired. 

Nell - when's your race?

• Hi AA, York Marathon on 12th October. Is the French Riviera marathon early November? I like the sound of that one image What is the strategy for the two marathons?

6.5 miles @ average pace 7:26mm this morning and went for a massage after work as I will be away down London next week. Physio reported everything feels good image

• Hi AA, great to have you back and wow, what a brilliant set of results and bling in the bag image wot kfc said: run like hell at Abo, I bet you can bag a PB and then chill in the French Riviera marathon and just enjoy the wine, the food and a nice holiday.

Well done on your 10k result, pink image

Nell
    : amazingly fast as ever. I'm so looking forward to October 12 image

Well, I managed 9 miles today WITHOUT stopping and stretching. Very happy with that. Only 9mm but plan is to continue building the miles at a slow pace and then gradually re-introduce a modicum of speed. There is light at the end of the tunnel image

Do we want to keep this thread going or is the general consensus to start a new one so long lost forumites may join us again?

• Hi folks....been out of range (aka on holiday) for the last couple of weeks and then snowed at work since I got back, so not kept up at all with the forum image

But picked up a few bits, especially AA's fantastic result in the 10k - that's getting you back to your sub-90 HM pace, which is brilliant image Hope Abo goes really well.

Barry - sounds like you'll be on the start line too - hope the injury keeps clear.

Pink - nice 10k image

Nell - sounds like you are on for a storming marathon!

Well I managed quite a lot of running on holiday - took myself out before breakfast every day bar one over the fortnight. Nothing long - 5 or 6 milers mainly, one 9 miler and even a cheeky ykwimage But most of it was hilly so I was working hard. Got back at the weekend for a 14 mile LSR which felt stupidly easy on the flat lanes of Suffolk! This week I've got a couple of speed sessions in - feeling in pretty good shape, but glad I'm not doing either York or Abo as I just haven't done the long runs (Sunday was my longest since the aborted VLM).

Speaking of which - my VLM mag arrived yesterday, so I guess I might need to up the mileage at some point....

Chick - we could always resurrect the other alternative Team Minni thread that we had the last time this one disappeared! And I'm glad you're seeing some light image
  • AA - Similar target time to me then.

Freemers - welcome back, good to hear you are running well.

VLM magazine arrived yesterday and happy days I got a ballot place image, not bad that's 2 out of 3 successful applications so must be lucky.

14 miles this afternoon at 7:28 avg, was a bit warm and hard work but glad I am getting some miles in my legs.

Re the thread, I've emailed Ben and Alice at RW but no response.

• AA you've had a great summer from the sounds of it - well done image

Nice 9 miles there Chick. Re thread - I'll go with the flow

Freemers good to hear from you. Sounds like your runs have gone well

Well I was a no for VLM but not too disappointed - I'll still be there though cheering on Barry. As you can imagine, he is completely over the moon that he has a place!

Have not run since the race on Sunday. Been a busy week. Have another race this Sunday - Cricklade 10k which I booked in the summer and is now suddenly here! Looking forward to it though as for me it's more about motivation rather than time. Doing a double today & off to the pool this morning then swimming training tonight.

• Chick - sounds like you're recovering nicely. image

freemers - running everyday for 2 weeks on holiday is gonna give you a great base. 

Nell - you're on great form. Target for York? Think bro is doing that too?

pink - 10k is a piece of cake for you now!

barry - would be good to start together until your pace sends you off flying! Well done in a place in London. A reward for hard work. Hopefully you can start London without injury and get what you deserve!

16 miles for me @8:29 pace today. But my legs are still so tired. Really not sure on pace for abingdon. I haven't done any MP work. Think I will go out @7:40/7:45 pace and try and hang on for as long as possible. Re french riviera - it's 9 nov 3 weeks after abo so depends how I feel but I'm flying out Saturday@7am and flying home Sunday @4:30! Just hope I catch the flight!! 

• Hi Chick, Good news on the 9 miles. Sounds like you are well on your way back to things ;0)

Hi freemers, Sounds as though the holiday has done you good. It is really nice running on holiday when you can just enjoy it and not think what you are having to fit in and accomplish the rest of the day! Great news ;0)

Hi Barry nice 14 miles....nice and warm? Grrr, not here!

Hi Pink Another 10k, good on you :0)

Hi AA, Get the cold baths in, they do the trick for me ;0) Hopefully the legs will recover by the time the marathon comes. I am aiming for sub 3:10, not sure whether I will get it but I'll have a crack and see..... Wow, tight on the flight home, wash in the airport? Can't wait for the report on that one...

I had MP/Tempo run yesterday, I did 2 mile warm up cool down. With the second warm up and first cool down mile at 5 seconds over MP and then 6 miles MP, splits:  6:50,  6:47, 6:59, 6:50, 6:53,6:57. Bit fast than I should have..rest day today.

Months ago I applied for the VLM ballot, after Edinburgh I qualified for a GFA and got that. Got two successful entry magazines through the other day! image What are the chances of that??

• Wet cold morning here, although the sun has come out at lunchtime now! 8 miles @ 7:19mm average.

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Just back from a break in Greece and Turkey- minimal internet- and very pleased to see AA back .

AA- welcome back. Brilliant summer of tris and bling and fast 5 and 10ks . You should be on for a pb in whichever marathon you choose to race. I'm on the mend too thanks

Barry- good to see the Achilles is behaving and your back on track for Abbo. I returned to find my race pack which was a bit disappointing. 

Nell- that was a fast 8 miles...York should be a fast one for you. You deserve it 

pink- keep it going ..you will recapture your running mojo...do you want my Abbo no?

Free- welcome back too. Wise decision not to risk a marathon. We all need to get to London 

Chick- I see you are up to 9 miles...well done..my max for some time is 8.5 so you're doing well 

I agree that reviving Minnis old thread is a good idea if someone can find it. Let's do it!

it wasn't all disappointment arriving home- Liverpool won at last but even better my GFA entry to London confirmation was there to meet me.  Miss2O got a ballot place so we will be in it together..very pleased about that 

whose running London next year? 

Limited my self to just running the last 7 days getting 43miles in in all ....all slow. Now to lose the weight I  put on and build up to some LRs whilst avoiding injury.