Options

RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• Options

AA - Sounds like a plan for Abo.

2Old - Shame you won't be at Abo but will see you at London, we both deserve an injury free build up to a marathon.

nell - Very good pacy running from you. Cotton wool time now with a week to go.

Swim club session Friday evening and yesterday afternoon and all good if hard work. 

20 miles this morning at 7:38 avg which I was very happy with considering my last 20 miler was 2 aug and the 5 weeks of running training missed with my achilles.  Gels at 6,10 and 14 , splits got quicker and last 3 were all in the 7:20's.

• Options

2Old thanks for the offer but I will give running Abbo a miss - I'll be the foghorn from the sidelines giving Barry & AA encouragement. Hope you had a good trip? I was rejected for London but ok about it.

Nell good running from you

Swimming training Friday night which I could only breathe to the right as I had slept funny on my left & had a pain in my neck - literally!

Luckily all ok for Cricklade 10k today and finished with a PB of 57.41, well chuffed & really enjoyed the run. image

Swimming training tomorrow morning at 6am to look forward to.

• Options

Hi 2old, Yes I will see you in London next year image Hoping you are nice and refreshed from the break with a few miles under your belt as well. Yes Liverpool winning with Balotelli on the bench too!

Hi Barry, Nice 20 there. Sounds as though the cycling and swimming has stood you well?

Hi Pink, Superb news on the PB moving forward....great news image

12 miles from me this morning. Easy first 7 and then more challenging last 5. Ran average pace 7:12 mm and then got back cold bath and then sat down to watch the Glasgow HM. Yes, Barry cotton wool time now. I have a MP session on Tuesday and then just easy runs Wed/Thurs which I will make easy. Down at our London office so will be running around Hyde Park this week,  which will be nice image

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Barry-excellent paced 20. Looking on track for Abbo. I did 14 today and feel that I'm only a month from a reasonable marathon ....a month too far. As Nell says the tri training you've done has maintained your endurance 

Pink- well done PBing that 10k. You keep progressing nicely. Don't stop now. Trip was great but I'm now habving to dilute the alcohol in my blood. If you change your mind about Abbo just let me know. Shame about London.

Nell- always good to get that last long run done. Don't do anything daft from now on. 

14 miles today .Longest run since June. Endurance not too bad. Pace varied between 6.50 and 7.50. Most around 7.05-7.30. Average 7.20mm which by coincidence is the pace needed foe me to grab a GFA in London. 

• Options

2old - hope you had a nice holiday. You sound like you're on your way back. Any more shockwave therapy with the Achilles? my PF seems to be behaving!

barry - great 20!!! I take it back - I cant run with you in Abingdon!! 

Pink - congrats on a new shiny 10k pb today. image

nell - is it Yorkshire a week today?? Be careful now. Sanex handgel in London! 

3 x 2mile reps on the tready for me this morning @6:42 pace. Felt strong. My big problem is I've only been averaging @35 mpw so the confidence to go fast just isn't there even though I've done loads of 18-22 milers this summer. 

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

AA- sadly my left Achilles broke down again in August hence no long runs and no Abbo. It's just about ok now but I'm being careful. No shock waves this time. Glad the PF is being good. Those intervals are 1.28ish HM pace so you shoudbe able to do a fast marathon with lots of LRs. Be braveimage

• Options

Hi gang, just dropping in to say I am 3 weeks in to a 6 week recovery from a broken rib ( fell running and landed on my right side on the kerb). Also tied up with work on the new house and glad I am finally retired Managed to hill walk 20 miles today and am doing at least 3 spin classes a week, but running is currently too painful.

Got my GFA confirmation for London and BA was rejected, so he is trying for a club place. Still going to attempt the 50 miler in 2 weeks, but will probably have to walk most of the way.

Time to go back to sulking - some great running going on here, just not by me image

• Options

2old -  Nice pace on your 14 miles, if you want to race a marathon in the next couple of months I can highly recommend Florence.

Nell - Very good last long run from you.

AA - Quick repeats from you, yeah my 20 miler was a very much needed confidence boost for Abo but we all know the real "fun" starts at the 20 mile point.

o4s - Good to hear from you sounds like business as usual  image, funnily enough Pink was wondering yesterday if you'd be at Swindon next weekend, I guess not. Speedy recovery

• Options
    Pink - lovely to get a nice shiny new PB image

Barry - super quick 20....hopefully your legs will remember what to do for the last 6.2!

Nell - hope you're enjoying the final week's taper...if you can!

AA - you sound a bit like me before the Town Moor....I knew I could last the distance just hadn't done any MP miles in my long runs, so it was always going to be a bit hit and miss. Sounds like you are going to be sensible anyway!

O4S - sounds pretty painful, at least you can get some walking and cycling in to keep things ticking over. Take care of yourself!

15 miles in the sunshine on Sunday - lovely run. Yesterday was meant to be a trendy 5 recovery, but I felt really good so pushed the pace to make it more of a tempo. Rest today anyway so shouldn't have done any harm!
  • Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

O4S-wondered where you'd got to and great to hear from you. Typical to see  your record of pain and suffering continues. Broken ribs are very painful as I know from experience but they usually fix quite quickly though never quick enough ! Good luck wth the 50 miler you crazy person and make sure you're there in London next year please

Free-Cant beat doing a long run when you didnt plan one especially as that may have been the best day of weather for a while.

Barry-my diary has been filled so no more marathons this year though I have had some strange dreams that I just turned up at Abo and did it for fun at 8mm mile pace throughout.Why that pace ,Ive no idea. How were the legs after that 20..sometimes its not doing the run that matters but how you feel after? Are you tapering now?

3k swim yesterday,longest ever.It took ages.

• Options

Hi AA, Nice pace on the intervals. By the results of your summer you sound like you should be in pretty good shape for your marathon, sorry two!

Hi 2old, Nice 14 miles and the pace creeping up? That was a long swim!

Hi O4s, Sorry to hear about the fall, not that it seems to stop you!

Hi Freemers, You seem to be getting back into things well now, really good to hear..

I was out early this morning, as I am staying in Kensington it gives me the chance to run in Hyde Park, which is good fun. It was dark when I went out and was actually a bit spooky. Soon got lighter and made things easy. Although this morning I found it a bit hard to get going. I ate late last night and hence got to bed late, not a good combination when I was up at 4:30. 1.5 mile warmup/cooldown and 5 x 1 mile MP with 400M recoveries. It was supposed to be 4 miles, but used the first to get going! Splits: 7:22, 7:00, 7:05, 6:54, 6:54.

• Options

Freemers - Good news you are back running well, any planned races?

2old - That's a very long way to swim, are you planning an IM soon? A little muscle soreness after Sunday's run but that's to be expected given my lack of running and not sure I need a taper image here's my last 14 weeks running totals with longest run in brackets:

29 (13), 25 (15), 36 (20), 31(15), 36(20), 30(15), 0, 5 (5), 3 (3),  0, 8 (5), 21 (10), 31 (15), 43 (20).

Nell -  Good running, once you got going, always difficult to get the legs working early morning.

Double for me today 45 min in the pool including 4 x 50 and 4 x 100 all felt hard work until the last 100.  Then 5 miles at 7:04 avg with a couple of sub 7 miles included.  Advice please, I was planning 12 miles this Sunday with 10 at MP (steady) any thoughts?

• Options

O4S I was thinking about you & wondering if you will be at Swindon HM this weekend. I guess not & hope you fell better soon

Freemers good to hear from you & nice running

2old I'll enjoy cheering the others on at Abbo. Nice 3k swim there

Nell lovely running in Hyde Park

Barry - I don't have any advice although you can sign up on the day to Swindon HM image

Swimming training was hard yesterday morning 6 x 300s with a 15 second rest. Then 16 lengths with pullbuoy. Been out briefly on the bike tonight. Another race for me Sunday, its Swindon HM but I am taking part in the 5  mile multi terrain. 

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Barry-  good thing you did all that cycling to back up the runs. I'd be tempted to do 16 with the last 3 at marathon pace as I'd worry about the lack of LRs.....but I need the reassurance of the miles. Youve got the pace. No IM for me I can't face the cycling required...maybe a halfIM ? Looking at your last 14 weeks and mine I don't think you've done a great deal more than me apart from the LRs. Maybe my dream about doing Abo was a message from above ?

Pink-the 5miler will be muddy...and lots of fun 

Nell- good paced intervals. I'm in London this weekend. You must be itching to get that marathon started 

double for me today - 25miles spinning and 7 TM miles with some intervals 7.10 mm average fwiw . Oh I'm doing Wimbledon Common HM on Sunday with two of my kids. A first so really excited about it even if I'm no where near ready for a HM. Maybe it will be my pre Abo LR.(not) 

• Options
    Barry - I think 10 @MP out of 12 might be too much the week before. Maybe do the last 4-5 at MP?

Races - I have the Norwich HM towards the end of November. Don't know what I'm aiming for yet - not really that fussed for a fast time, just want to feel I'm moving in the right direction for next Spring. There are a also a couple of other races I'm thinking about - another HM on 2 November and a 7 mile race the week after. Not sure about the HM, but tempted by the 7 to see what my speed is like.
  • Options

Hi guys

Very quick pre-Abo check in!  Good to see that some training happening, particularly on the multi-sport.  2Old- sorry that you're not going to make Abo.  Is there a meet up by the way?

Really poor long runs in training but a decent half (c1.26 on an undulating course) has left me in a quandry re pacing, play it safe and enjoy (not sure it is the most scenic of courses) and keep powder dry for the start of my Ultra training or all in to try and shave a few seconds off pb (3.08.34) with an extremely high risk of detonation.  Decisions, decisions!!

Hope all are well (as seems on the main part)- Old4speed, hope the rib healing nicely.

G

PS - Barry, glad your swimming seems to be going well, mine going the right way too and makng a semi-decent fist of breathing both sides and up to c200m non-stop. Seems be clicking - time for a lesson or two! image

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Cooks-hello stranger-great HM time. Go for it at Abo- you'll regret it if you dont.Youve done a lot of long stuff already this year.Let us know how it goes.I keep having this recurring dream that Im lining up at the start of Abo so maybe I'll risk detonation but for a different reason to you. Definately get some swim lessons-my swimming has improved so much with them after years of very slow going

Free-like your positive way forward planning races.Im just going to enjoy them as they come.I might sign up for Conway HM in Nov and Lancaster HM early Dec...we will see

• Options

Well done on the PB, pink image  your running is coming along nicely image

Good to see O4S and cooks pop in as well. Almost feels like the old gang then image

That's a great HM time, cooks. Agree with 2old, just go for it. If you don't "feel it" on the day, you can always pull the brakes and do a fun run instead.

Nice to see people's race plans lined up. I'm tempted by a series of winter runs starting mid November. It's 5 of them, one per month. Distances on offer 5, 10, 15 and 20k. You can decide on the day what you feel like doing. I've used some of those runs in the past for my long runs. I. e. did 15k on me own and 20 in company to give me the magic 35k (22 miles).

2Old wrote (see)

I have had some strange dreams that I just turned up at Abo and did it for fun at 8mm mile pace throughout.Why that pace ,Ive no idea.

because this is the sub 3:30 thread image

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Chick-thanks for reminding me what this thread is aboutimage.Not sure if I regard 22miles as magic but I think I know what you mean.

Swim club last night.Had planned to run there and back but glad I didnt.Shattered today.

• Options

Hi Barry, Good 5 miler there, I think the mix of training you have had may well do you good on the marathon. It will be interesting to see. I am not the person for great advice on training, but I think I would be a bit more on the conservative side on Sunday and go with Freemers advice...

Hi Pink, Good luck on the multi-terrain, sounds good fun ;0)

Hi 2old, Nice intervals, Wimbledon Hm eh? They have the Parks HM on at the weekend also don't they, sounds like it could be busy...

Hi Freemers, Things must be looking up as you are lining up the races again ;0)

Hi Cooks, well done on the HM, Go for it!

Hi Chick, Sounds a nice concept on deciding what you feel like on the day...

I went out for 6 miles yesterday morning at average 7:30mm and then 5.6 this morning at 7:18. That is me until Saturday when I will run an easy 3 miles and then the marathon Sunday. We are going down Friday afternoon to York to miss the rail line works over the weekend. Not sure how I feel at the moment, trying to stay positive, although strangely the running has been a bit of an effort whilst here in London. This morning felt better. Strange as I was at my sisters last night and had a couple of glasses of wine......is that the secret image

Got a guy on the training course here who is from Marseille and a trail runner. Runs distances of 100k etc, he lost me when talking about 6000M climbs image I think he was aiming on one of the Mont Blanc races next year, he ran a marathon last weekend and declared never again!

• Options

Evening all

nell - hope the taper is going well. Looks like youre so massively ready now. 

Freemers - love the way the call Norwich half the city of Norwich half when it starts in the cow shed!! That was our first TM outing!! Memories!! Great to see you recovering.

Cooks - still have your mobile number I think. I'll text you. What time you arriving at Abo? Spoons is also running it. he says he's "taking it easy!!" I'm planning on meeting pink and Barry too hopefully. 

Bazza - you won't make any improvements now you'll only tire yourself out so don't do more than 12 with 6/7@mp if I were you.

2old - get down to Abingdon next week and knock out a sub 3:30!!

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Nell- yes as AA says you're massively ready. Now try and rest and mentally prepare. Three of my kids are running the HM with me on Sunday. Never thought that day would happen. Wonder if I can hang on long enough for no 4 to take an interest in running. 

AA- seeing all your plans to meet others at Abo is making me very twitchy about having a go. My head says no and my heart says why not. I've just run 15 miles and that hasn't helped me decide. One mile no problem the next twinges and doubts. But if sub 3.30 is a goal it was all at MP-  7.51mm av. and not a single mile over 7.59. Maybe watching England will inspire a decision. 

• Options

2old... Do it!!! You've enough experience to know what a marathons like. Great base training and mental training in the bank for the Mass London  Green Start Party!!! Haha. 

• Options

Nell enjoy taper

Go on 2Old! Nice family HM outing there.

AA I still have your number. Will be in touch with you next week to arrange meet up

• Options

2old- go on, you know i makes sense! image

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Had a bt of a situation yesterday. got up to answer door after swim yesterday and blacked out.  Hit head on stairs blood everywhere and ended up in hospital for 4 hours. Big split in forehead glued together. The doctor said my heart rate was too low 38-40 so I'm off for further investigations. Enforced rest nowimage

Good running and racing all. Nell nail it !

• Options
    Hi 2old , that is not good news, you have bad one thing after another since Boston. Shame that you will miss the run with the kids :0(

Thanks for the good wishes guys, went out for an easy 3 miles this morning in York. got a bit lostish and ended up running 4 miles @ 7:42mm. Came out next to the river and then walked down to the hotel.
  • Options

Cooks - Well done on the swimming progress,especially without lessons, go for it at Abo.

2old - Rubbish news, rest and recover well, hope it's nothing serious.  I fainted once in the shower at the gym, very strange experience waking up with water coming down on me.  Got checked out at the docs and no concerns, put it down to training too hard.

AA -  Yeah sounds like it will be a good thread turnout for VLM, but think I'll be on the blue start, not quick enough to join you on green. image

Nell - Good luck and enjoy for tomorrow, go smash it.

Rest day for me on the Thursday, had my tooth pulled no problems apart from the noise when it was being pulled and  it would n't stop bleeding for most of the evening.  Club swimming went OK last night, coach pulled me out of my "baby" lane and in with the "proper" swimmers, managed a whole hour this time rather than the 45 minutes when I tried last time but very hard work.  Quick blast on the new bike this morning and first time in the rain.

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Barry- another fainter! Annoyed things will be on hold until checked out . Cant swim until gash in head fully heals. Now got a black eye swollen cheek and sore right knee. Good to see your consistent swimming has paid off

Nell-how did it go?
  • Options

2old- Decision made for Abo then.image How did the family get on at the HM.

11 miles for me this morning 6 slowish then 5 steady.  Then  watched/cheered on the Swindon HM/5 miler - perfect running conditions.  Then an hour in the pool this afternoon.  Nightshift this week, not the best before Abo, not too concerned about the sleep just getting the carbs in later in the week, 3 in the morning is n't the best of time to try and eat.