RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• 2Old - check out your blood pressure,  could be down to BP being too low. Mr O4S suffers from low BP and has had to lie down after walking upstairs in the gym before now (also at the dentist, the library and elsewhere)

• 2Old That's not good news & sorry to hear. Hopefully it will be sorted. Hope the family enjoyed the HM

Nell Hope today went well for you

Old4Speed How are things with you?

No running at all last week. Swam Friday night and was pleased that Barry was moved into the lane next to me. He will be pushed which will help him a lot. Friday night's just got competitive! image

Had a one to one lesson with the swim coach yesterday which has helped me - never had one before so it was great & good to hear how I am really getting on, better than I thought. Although I felt really tired after as he got me to train with paddles & fins.

Ran the 5 miler of the Swindon HM today. Finished in 46.32 just outside my PB but 3 of my miles were down to 8.40's so I'm happy with that.

No more races for me now until Wokingham HM next year so I can concentrate on getting my backside into gear & train for it.

Early morning swimming training beckons for me tomorrow at 6am image

• Hi Guys, quick check in, York today. I did have a bit of troubles with my guts which forced 2 stops. Not my most enjoyable marathon, but managed 3:06:26. so Hansons plan worked :0) Full report tomorrow when we get home, for now? pie and chips!

• Nell -  Very well done mate. Even without making the 2 stops that an impressive time but with them brilliant. Congrats and enjoy.

• Pink: patience was never one of my (admittedly limited) virtues, so struggling to cope with how long the healing process is taking. However on a more positive note I managed to walk a hilly 15 miles yesterday and a hilly 25 miles today, plus four spin classes last week. I am going to try a very gentle run in the slowest group at the running club tomorrow, so fingers crossed. Would have been a good day for Swindin HM image

• Nell: apologies, didn't mean to ignore you. Fantastic time - enjoy the pie and chips!!!

• Nell - amazing time. Well done you. Sounds like it might have been painful. 

2old - that sounds scary. agree - check your BP. I'm a fainter too. Get very lightheaded some days. Fainted on a bus in Palma in the summer. Had to Get off. It was packed. Then threw up all over the pavement. Classy!!!

o4s - good to see you're ready to run again. Hope it's not too painful. 

Barry/cooks - taper madness for us now. I'm starting to panic as I can feel my PF in my foot coming back so less is more this week for me. 

Pink - well done in your 5 miler yesterday. 

• Nell - congratulations - that's a brilliant result!

2old - crikey, that doesn't sound good. Hopefully it is just low BP, but hope you get it sorted soon. At least it made your decision on Abo easy.

AA - stop that taper madness!

16 miles yesterday which felt great, although the 6 on Saturday felt awful, go figure!
  • 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Nell-outstanding run in York even with 2 pit stops.All that hard work was well rewarded.Look forward to your report.Hope you celebrated in style-there are a lot of pubs in York

AA-though Im sure you are well versed in all remedies pre marathon maybe a massage will help with thatPF. Since I have been having a regular massage my niggles improved a lot.I decided that it was better to try to treat the whole body not just the bit that hurt.So you are another fainter...I guess I can regard that as reassuring for me at least

O4S-Ive had other dizzy spells in the past but this was a bit different and not very distinct warning signs.I know what to look out for now.Anyway think its time to replace all the wood floors with thick soft pile carpets.I thought patience wasnt a major part of your character unlike meimageso well done getting all that done in a state of discomfort and frustration

Pink-very nice 5 miler

Free-yes the decision was made for me. Excellent 16 miler

Thanks for the good wishes after my black out.Saw Gp today who feels its situational syncope (overdoing it,inadequate diet,dehydration,resting followed by sudden activity)which is ok but will need some tests to rule out anything more sinister.Im not up to training at the moment which confirms that it wasnt the most pleasant of experiences

• Freemers - funny how it goes like that. We always just hope our "feel good day" coincides with race day!!! Nice 16!

2old - piece of mind that tests are being done. I can get lightheaded getting up from a chair sometimes! BP is low. I had a massage on Thursday. Been giving the tennis ball some stick and self massage to Achilles and calf daily too. Ow!

• Nell - awesome time, really well done!!

• Nell - awesome time, well done! So the Hanson plan worked, waiting to read your race report now - clearly no problems post mile 20 despite your longest run being 16, shows you how good the culminative effect of running on tired legs can be!

Not long to Abo, hope those running it are having a good taper!

• Hi Guys, thanks for the good wishes imageimage

Here we go. Up early on Sunday for breakfast. The Novotel were serving breakfast at 06:00am but I went down about 7:00am (race started at 09:30). I am usually ok with this time frame, I usually just have a bowl of porridge and if I feel I need it a chew on an energy bar before the start. I must admit I did feel a little bit tired when I woke up, I had spent the week in a hotel down in London during the week and then York the weekend. After breakfast just went back to the room and got ready, and felt more refreshed after that and then got the taxi down to the University, glad we got the taxi as it is a bit of a walk.

A very foggy morning, but it wasn't raining and wasn't windy ;0)

It does make me laugh as at the start I was standing next to a guy in front of the 3:30 pacer and asked what he was looking for, his reply? Anything under 4 hours!

Anyway, race started and I felt pretty good. I will spare you the details on the dodgy stomach,  First 7 miles were all under 7 minutes apart from the first mile where there were folk obviously in the wrong position. Mile 8 was my first stop, that mile was 7:18 so I was ok with that, I think there was a hill on that mile also.   I had found myself running with a group of guys who were setting a good pace, I ran with these guys up until mile 18 and then had to stop again. This was a longer stop and that mile was ran 8:19.

From about mile 15 to 19 was a out and back downhill and I saw the guys I had been running with coming back at me, that actually gave me a kick up the backside and I managed to get myself going and after that got in a few more decent miles. The last few  miles I slowed down a bit but expected that. On mile 25.5 there was a nasty twist, a hill of about .25 miles which was a bugger, but the crowd assured everyone that it was a good downhill section after that, which it was and a nice trot home. Even managed to catch a couple I lost earlier image

Splits:7:01, 6:55, 6:52, 6:53, 6:57, 6:58, 6:58, 7:18, 7:01, 6:50, 6:56, 6:55, 6:56, 6:47, 7:03, 7:08, 7:00, 8:19, 7:08, 7:12, 7:05, 7:08, 7:20, 7:20, 7:21, 7:26, 1:25.

Finish Time: 3:06:26 average pace: 7:06.

10K: 42:50 HM: 1:31:50

It is not a bad course, sometimes slightly undulating and hills on mile 8, a slight climb on mile 17-18 and then a bit of a bugger at mile 25. But great support from the Yorkshire folk ;0)

So I finished a minute under my intended time, and yes if it wasn't for the couple of stops I could have shaved maybe a couple of minutes off, but I am pleased with the PB.

I enjoyed the Hansons plan and I think may use it going forward.

I did enjoy the Pie, Chips and beer thanks O4S ;0)

Strangely 2old,I could only manage one pint on the evening. But a very nice pint of Black Sheep.... there was actually a free beer at the end, which my son couldn't understand why I wasn't too bothered about...

• O4S How did the run go?

Freemers Nice 16 miles there

Nell Congratulations brilliant time & I like your report. imageimage

No running or swimming for me as yet this week. Was going back to the running group this evening but checked out their routes and it is the one I run where I live so may as well go from my house! Signed up for a Sky Ride this Saturday there is a group of us ladies from swimming taking part - 30 miles which will be interesting.

Looking forward to seeing some of you at Abbo on Sunday - I'm bringing my camera! image

• Nell - great report. Some really quick miles in there. I think I've only ever seen a 6.xx once in a marathon and that was the downhill mile 3 in VLM!

Hope the Abo taper is going well image

Tempo run for me yesterday - total of 7 miles with 5 @ average 7.20s (kind of marathon pace with any luck come April!).
  • Nell - Great report and impressive consistent splits. Congrats again.

Freemers -  Good running, I've had a few 6.xx during my marathons, normally near the start and negated by some  8.xx or 9.xx towards the end.image

Rest day for me on Monday, followed by 5 miles yesterday. Swimming lesson this morning and lots more to think about - bad habits alreadyimage, mainly head position on breathing and arm position when extending.

• Nell - great report. Made me all nervous   

Freemers - good to see done quality. You'll be flying come April. 

4x600s for me Monday. 4 miles yesterday with 3x2k @7:40 pace Yesterday. might run in the woods with the dogs tomorrow but that's me done now. Looks warm and windy on Sunday!

• AA - just about to check again but the forecast I saw y'day had warmth, wind, rain & sun.  Where's the snow I thought?!?!?! Still caught in 2 minds.......

• I am back running (sort of) at last. 25 minutes every day this week, going a bit further each time. Very tentative, Cheryl slow, somewhat uncomfortable - but long road back has been started. Good Luck to everyone for Abo. I am up north doing 50 miles on Saturday - looks as if I might be able to manage short sections of slow jogging, which would help with the time limit. Looks as if it will be a bit of a mudfest image

• Predictive text image  Cheryl may (or may not) be slow, I am very slow!

• o4S - Cheryl is the new "very slow"! Good luck with your 50 at cheryl paceimage

cooks - rain looks pm at the moment so if I'm too slow I'll get wet image

• The 50 has rain forecast for most of the day and is off-road..........At least I should be uniformly wet!

• 04S - good yr on the way back, enjoy the 50!!

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Nell- great report. Very impressive splits too. Bet you've looked at them and worked out where you can shave off seconds and minutes to get even closer to sub3. When will you do your next marathon? Pity about the upset stomach ,maybe think about having breakfast earlier to allow it to digest. Did you have porridge with milk? Try it with water instead ? The Hansons plan definitely worked for you. Congrats again. Oh yes I didn't think you'd be up to drinking much. 

O4S-50????-just hope my return is as awe inspiring ...no chance. Enjoy the race and good luck 

AAAnd Barry - you're looking good for Abo. Who cares if it rains 

Pink- enjoy the sky ride and watching Abo.Loowing forward to seeing the pics

Free- running welL there 

still recovering here so no running...I fact doing nothing . might start again gently next week though maybe I should wait until I've seen the consultant

• AA, Cooks - Not liking the look of the weather for Sunday, prefer rain to wind and cold to warm, last couple of times at Abo I've worn gloves for the first half of the race, don't think I'll be needing  them this year.

AA - Your niggles OK?

O4S - "Enjoy" your 50 miler, I will be thinking of that distance when doing Abo on Sunday and my legs are complaining 26 miles is a long way.

2old - Take it easy on your return, hopefully nothing serious but better safe than sorry. When is your appt?

Swimming yesterday was a bit of a breakthrough, after the lesson on Wednesday I concentrated on what coach had said regarding head position on breathing and arm position and while I was doing a 200m effort a couple of the lengths felt really good and comfortable and did n't feel I was fighting the water.  3 miles this morning in race kit and all good, that's me done until Sunday apart from swimming tonight and tomorrow afternoon.

• Barry - I'm not sure how exposed it is but the wind could be a big factor.... Maybe a bit warm but the humidity looks lowish.  Our plans to stay overnight have fallen apart so am now heading up from Kent on Sun morning image  To quote Han Solo 'I've got a bad feeling about this'

Well done re the swimming - I have an interesting session last night, technique all over the show for 20 mins.  2 lengths where it all clicked (focused on head down) and then regressed to struggling again.  Still - far, far better than 3 months ago image

• 2old - take it easy. No rush. 

Cooks - how long is your drive? 

Baz - niggles all seem ok. Fingers crossed! 

Wind looks shit On Sunday. 

Will aim to be around the start @8:/8:15 Sunday. i have all your mobiles. Spoons will be there too. 

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    AA and Barry - I'm not rushing. Appointment Wednesday. I can feel your pre race nerves from here....(and yours Cooks).

One benefit of this lay up is that my niggly Achilles seems to have cleared up. Can you call my black out a running injury? I was on the way to the front door to collect my new running shoes from the delivery guy when it happened.
  • Hi 20ld, It is clear now, you can put the blackout down to over excitement and an anxiety attack....hoping you are feeling better and getting near to back out on the road again. 

Hi AA, Hoping you are feeling good for Sunday? Hopefuly the good running from the summer will carry on through this Sunday..image

Hi Barry , Your recent runs have all been pretty strong so it looks like the cross-training will work for you...

Hi Cooks, Hoping you get on ok the weekend, what are you hoping for?

I must say the weather is not looking very favourable, I am crossing my fingers for you all ;0) If I don't get on again before I wish all of you the best for Sunday image

Hi Freemers, You seem to be coming along great now, really pleased for you...great stuff :0)

Hi O4s, Hoping the 50 goes well, putting us to shame again with your endurance !

Hi Pink, Hope the 30 mile cycle goes well tomorrow...

I am having a week off running, and the physio doesn't want me until Monday for a massage. Luckily I have been on holiday as the kids are off this week so it has been nice and relaxing ( well as relaxing as it goes with kids). I have had a bit of time to reflect on things and as you mentioned 2old, I did study the splits and looking at them I think they are not too bad. I think I tend to beat myself up on the marathon when I falter a bit. That is a good call on the porridge 2old. Maybe water would be a better option next time. I must admit my stomach only really settled properly yesterday, so not sure what was going on?? Yes, I think next time I will bring breakfast forward, it has worked before, but think I will play safe next time. Next marathon is London, I am tinkering with the idea of running London and Edinburgh next spring. Edinburgh being 5 weeks after London. I am happy how the Hansons plan went and feel it worked for me. I am going to approach Luke Humphreys again for another 12 week plan, I liked that length and feel missing that extra 4 weeks was beneficial. That is the second time I have used a 12 week plan in the Autumn as opposed to the 16 week plan and I felt a lot stronger for it. I am not sure how Luke will react to the 2 marathons though as that is a big No,No in the Hansons Method....

• Binned the Sky Ride this morning due to the heavy rain - went on a College Open Day with our youngest instead image

Good Luck to Barry, AA & Cooks for Abbo tomorrow - will see ya there & have a great race. image