RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• M.r Zuvai wrote (see)

Anybody from the forum going to be a mentor for the forum 6? Spoons again perhaps? - i thought you where great for pottermis last year!

We'll see Zuvai......

Hope the head is OK. A few less brain cells won't be that obvious image

• M.r Zuvai wrote (see)

Minni - you'd be a cracking mentor ableit a slightly..erm..militant one!  image

Militant or Minnitant?

• Zuvai - ouch!

I've yet to vote but I had a look at one of the categories (pb hunter) to discover someone has nicked my name! Or almost. And she's faster than me image

Minni I also took running gear to work just in case yesterday, stuff sitting in traffic for hours! As it was all was fine.

Oompa I might have a half on 7th April too. I did GNR two weeks before Berlin in September, although I didn't race GNR flat out or anything.

Sarah I usually do a 23, taking as long to run 23 as I'm planning to run my marathon in.

Good to hear your Mum is on the mend Chick.

With the whole 5 x 20m, I don't think it's necessary for everyone. Running schedules are never one size fits all so surely everyone doesn't have to follow the 5x 20m rule? In recent years I've preferred to do 5 or 6 but Berlin proved that it wasn't essential for me. Maybe I just had a lot of 'reserved' stamina from previous marathon campaigns, who knows.

I don't know if I'd enter the forum 6, just because I struggle to keep up with the forum anyway so wouldn't be a very prolific poster and people might get cross!
  • Not a happy bunny, sick it's man flu and terminal. Ran the Dubai 1/2M this morning, any other race and I would have stayed in bed. Went out hard new after 6K that it wasn't good and started walking at 8K. Walked 5 times before kicking myself up the arse at 13 K and deciding to get on with it. Finished in a disappointing 1 - 36- 42! But given how I have felt since that probably isn't too much of a surprise. Still managed to finish 4 th M50. Off to club Christmas dinner now.
  • PS I know who the mentors are and I'm not one of them!
  • DD - Considering you walked 5 times, and you had a serious case of manflu, 1.36 is excellent.

Minni - I think the 'quality mentors', would get frustrated with me, with only running 3 daysimage.

• Barry & Carrot - I am physically unable to treat any race as a training run and end up  going as fast as is possible, just look at Brighton 10k three weeks ago... ran as fast as i could with a torn calf... Born stupid and just grew bigger!!!image

Ant - Have to agree with the others that it's important to incorporate MP into the long run. My last programme did one 20 miler at slow/easy pace, then the following week 10m slow with the second 10 run at MP. And as Spoons said, this was after 4 - 5 miles on the previous day so as to try to replicate the fatigue/tiredness in the legs. When i first ran VLM all my long runs were at slow/easy pace and i flopped massively.

5 miles on TM for me last night and it was awful.image 1st mile @ 8.00 min/ml, 2nd mile @ 7.00 min/ml then had to jog/walk the next mile as i had a strange tingling/ache right along the length of both feet coupled with aching left ITB???image Managed to get "back in the saddle" so to speak and did the last 2 miles @ 8.00 min/ml pace but it was far from easy. 

Has anyone else experienced this sensation across the foot/feet? I wondered whether it was a combination of the K-Tape keeping my knees tracking true and a lack of running fitness??

Will put it down as just one of those days and move swiftly on... NEXT!

• Why do cars always break down in winter? Hope its all sorted now LAAst. Did you manage your long run?

Freemers, MC and SBC thankyou for your advice regarding the 22 miler. For VLM this year, everything I read said dont go over 21 as you take out more you can put in, but I decided to do 22, mainly because (like SBC) my mind thought 4 extra miles on the day is nothing, but 5 seemed like loads. I came down with a cold afterwards and didnt know if that was to blame. But to be honest, my three long runs pre VLM was a 16miler, and 18 miler and a 22 due to a lack of time to train sensibly, and that was probably the reason for the cold!

Have a wonderful weekend Freemers and a fabulous run.

SBC i would go for the membership, its always good as a back up plan if its really icey outdoors. Could always add resistence training to your training plan aswell.

Minni, that ad looks great...im applying if I dont get through!

Sorry to hear about your race this morning DD (even if your time when ill is almost  the same as my current PB when well). Least you still got round (in a good time) and didnt get a DNF! image

• Ive done a steady 12 miler today at race pace, legs ached a little afterwards with doing the 5k last night on the track, but there not too bad now, which im surprised at. Thanks spoons for you advice, otherwise I would have waited until tomorrow to do my longer run. image

• nice running, Sarah! It's damn early for race pace!

DD: 1:36 is a full 2 minutes better than my current PB. I'd be thrilled to bits with a time like that, nevermind you ran it when under the weather!

Oompa: no idea about that foot issue. Could it be PF? Simon would know ...

• Santa Baby chickadeee wrote (see)

Oompa: no idea about that foot issue. Could it be PF? Simon would know ...

you'd have to be extremely unlucky to get PF in both feet

• Sarah- I'm a big fan of going over 20m in training.  I ran the whole distance  before my first two maras image but it's not something most people would recommend so now I just stick to one 24m.

Chick- hope the black ice disappears for your 10k but if not, give it a miss. Not worth it!

DD- hope you feel better soon.  I wish I could run 1:36 in this kind of state!

6m done this morning @ around 8:20. Off to a christmas party now but will behave as doing a xc tomorrow.

Happy Friday everyone!

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

DD - what chick said.  That's still a great time but sorry to hear you're ill.... but not ill enough to miss your party.  image  

Zuvai - image  ouch.  Quite funny though!

• Sarah - 12 miles slow would have been better for the old aerobic engine though.....

Do a nice and slow 6 tomorrow for recovery

• Hello, sorry guys, haven't been around for a bit cos I've got the lurgy and toothache too and I've been feeling quite sorry for myself in the way only a poorly man can. Haven't run since last Friday image

DD, such a shame about you getting the man flu before your HM - you have been in such great form in training I'm sure you would have been on for something really quick - but well done in the circumstances.

Welcome Sarah and good luck! Oh, and you'll soon realise that Spoons is obsessed with trying to get people to run more slowly. I think it makes him feel better about himself image 

Work Xmas do tonight. Still feeling rough but I'm going to force myself along for a couple...

• SBC opps, i did think with me only doing 12 miles that would be ok.....now i might be learning whats been going wrong/or not so well over the last few years!

Brolish thankyou, its reassuring that you all think 22 was ok, will schedule it in for this time round and anything else that people recommend.

Spoons think that must be another one of my weaknessess, i find it really difficult to go slow, although when I go with others I do tend to run about a min per mile slower than my natural pace. Will have to see if my OH fancies a gentle jog in the morning. I came to the conclusion that a park run tomorrow morning would be a bad idea after the last two days.

Hi DarenF, thankyou  image

• Oompa- As Mr Z says, you'd be pretty unluckily to get PF in both feet, and also so suddenly. Normally it builds up slowly and usually just the heels. Tinggling sensation is normally due some kind of restriction, ie laces too tight cuasing blood flow restriction. No idea re the ITB. Maybe AA can help, as she's done the course re applying K-tape. Hope you get it sorted.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Ho Ho HOompa wrote (see)

5 miles on TM for me last night and it was awful.image 1st mile @ 8.00 min/ml, 2nd mile @ 7.00 min/ml then had to jog/walk the next mile as i had a strange tingling/ache right along the length of both feet coupled with aching left ITB???image Managed to get "back in the saddle" so to speak and did the last 2 miles @ 8.00 min/ml pace but it was far from easy.

Of course it wasn't easy!  You're trying to get back from injury and every time you  run you're getting aches and pains.  You have to SLOW down!  That is too fast!  Neither wonder you're getting pains.  Honestly, slow right down and test everything out and only start to introduce a bit of speed when you're sure everything is ok.  Even if it does take weeks.

What is it with men that they have to always go so fast?!! image

DD and others,  Sarah is a GP. (*whispers* perfect ! exactly what we need on this thread). So perhaps she can help out with the manflu that affects so many.  Maybe she has a vaccination......

• Hahaha, thanks minni, the cats out of the bag now....had better start reading up on sport injuries! Man flu.... well thats a special illness, despite the high prevalence, we just haven't got to the bottom of why it only incapacitates men making them bed ridden with no real signs of illness!

I agree with minni HHH, I've only been running a couple of years but coming back from injury and running 7min/ml sounds a recipe for disaster! I don't do any speed training if I have any or have just recovered from any twinges.

Like Simon says though it could be something as simple as tight shoes (fingers crossed), it's happened to be once when I had my laces far to tight. Seemed to be worse on inclines!

Hope your next run is more successful
  • Just back from social pished and unable to speak anymore with sore throat But didn't didn't do dirty dancing!
  • DarenF wrote (see)

Oh, and you'll soon realise that Spoons is obsessed with trying to get people to run more slowly. I think it makes him feel better about himself image 

Sarah - what Daren forgets is his current speed is on the back of 6 months of slow HADD training.

• Sarah - So Dr. while you're here, I've got this nasty rash on my balearics! He he

Minni - We have to run fast to try and keep up with you fast ladies.
  • HADD training? What does that stand for, I'm still learning all the running jargon?
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Anyone fancy a forum outing to an ACDC concert?
  • Simon, if you put a photo up, I will have a look and see if I can help!
  • Minni - Have you just been watching them live in Rio on BBC4. I took my OH to see them in conncert on one of our first dates 20yrs ago, awesome, and now they're on iTunes too. For those about to rock we salute you.
  • Sarah - I don't think I can compress that much to fit on here lol.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Yes Simon - brilliant. I've hot it on iPod and just added the DVD to my Christmas list. Ideal for the TM. image
  • Hahaha, I've been having difficult compressing all my photos, even the small ones!
  • Sarah - HADD training is basically training the aerobic engine by running slowly. Distance running is about building fitness, strength, stamina. Pure speed is only the last 10% and is pretty useless on it's own. It's easy to train to run 400m fast. Not so easy to hold that pace for miles.