Options

RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• Options

Morning! Got my session for tonight. 16 x 400m @ 10km pace. Nice and simple!

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    I've got similar tonight but only 6 x 400. 16 would kill me!
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Oh and mine are 3k pace..... Yikes.
  • Options

O4S/ Dubai Dave........31yrs old, with a cheeky smile that still means I get ID'd from time to time........actually, maybe you were just being tongue in cheek and it wasn't best to share this info!

Spoons......I've started doing 800m @ 10k pace, working from 6 reps and hopefully up to 10. In your honest opinion, iwill doing 800m have a difference to doing 400m instead?

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    It's all about mixing it up Shady. Shorter faster reps faster and longer slower. Don't believe the Yasso theory!
  • Options

My speedwork this week is 12 x 400 @ 3K pace off 45 second recoveries, obviously 400's are "in" this week.

Shady: Ah probably a bit old for O4S then! As to intervals it all rather depends how long your recoveries are and the pace you run them at. My advice would be to mix your sessions up, one week 400's another 800's or 1K, Then the longer 1 mile and 3 K intervals, there are a never ending set of combinations which can be done. My personal favourites are pyramids 400/ 800 / 1200 / 1600 / 1600 / 1200 / 800 /400 at 5K pace with 1 minute recoveries. It depends on what pace your running as to how many reps you can handle, 12 x 400 @ 3K pace is quite intense whereas 10 x 800 at 10K pace is  not particularly taxing.

• Options
    Everything went well last night, only took them 15 mins to insert the device. Don't feel to bad this morning, a bit sore where the cathitor was inserted.

Good to see so many new members welcome
  • Options

DD:  at my age you can't be too fussy!! 

Shady:  sounds promising, about the same age as Daren who also needs ID to get into any film that isn't rated PG

Temperature minus 2 degrees today so binned any idea of the bike and parked the car a few miles from work [as close as it is possible to park without having to take out a loan equivalent to the debt of a small African country] and ran in.  Lovely running across the Downs in the dark, with a sharp frost and a new moon above.  It will be interesting to see if I am as enthusiastic this evening image

• Options

Shady - as DD & Minni said - mix them up. 800s are good. My 400s this week are slower (10km pace) than the more common 5km pace but there are 16 and they are off only 45 seconds recovery. I'm focusing on shorter recovery work at the minute as I'm base training and don't want to do anything too quickly until the new year. Plus I don't want to smash my legs too much as I have a 10 mile race on Sunday.

• Options

Morning everyone

ST- great news on the op. Hope you're resting and being pampered by Mrs ST.image

Well my commitment to the running cause reached new levels this morning. I hit the Battersea track at 7am (after a 4m warm up). It was pitch black, very frosty and not a living soul in sightimage. Did 2x 400 (5k pace), 3m @ MP and 4x 200 @ 3k pace with 90s recoveries and 4m cd to work. Hit all the paces and it didn't feel too bad so happy.  The legs seem to be waking up. I must say I much prefer this more aggressive come back from the recovery!

• Options

Minni- ouch, good luck with the killer session tonight!

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I am livid beyond belief.  I've just been asked to Chair a meeting tonight.  No problem with that but it means I won't get home until about 9:30 and I haven't got my running stuff with me to fit my run in.  image  Fcuk.  That means either ditching it or doing it tomorrow night, which means ditching tomorrow's 11 miler.  imageimageimage  And it was snowing when I left home this morning.  image 

• Options

Minni- that's annoying. What are you supposed to be doing on Thursday?  Off? Can't you just shift everything by a day and do the killer sess tomorrow/ 9 miler on Thursday?

• Options

Minni:  welcome to the world of employment [as opposed to self-employment].  I found it hard when I made the change a few years back - but running club was a great excuse for not going to the department Christmas ghastliness [is that a word or just an experience??image

Bro: not sure my legs would do that in the morning, sounds like a great session!

• Options

Minni - you need to keep a spare emergency set of running gear at work!

Intervals - I love them, particularly on the track. Think for marathon training the longer intervals are better (I like 1000m), but I think any type of faster running is good to shake you out of the funk of "easy" pace.

On the bike this morning. Proper cold. Got some Castelli Toe Thingies last week though, which stopped 3rd degree frostbite on my toes at least.

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

hi All

Welcome Pauls and Shady

Pauls-good to see another runner from the NW region here. You must spend most of your running time in the hills so flat Blackpool will be a bit different

Shady-dont get too bogged down with this interval stuff its the mileage that matters for marathon pbs until the improvement gains start to become marginal.

DD- why stop at getting your head wet? Anyway a few here having taken to hitting theirs on inaniminate objects

Minni- chill-missing a run is not the end of the world . Stressing will undo your hard work. Accept it as one of those things and maybe when it comes to your next run mix the intervals into a warm up and cool down totalling 11 miles. I did that a few times leading up to my Autumn marathon.Theres lots of time to VLM and it wont make any difference.

Bro-you are one crazy person but there is somethin special about being the only person out running in these frosty condtions

Spoons-tough interval session for you.

Went out for just over an hour last night at nine and did some hill intervals whilst covering 8.5 miles.Bitterly cold but invigourating. I quite like this cold weather .Calf seems a lot better but did wear compression socks.

Busy day today so not sure when I can fit one in..well see

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

AntP-Im sure Minni's 10k interval session sharpened me up for my Autumn races .DD did them too and look at him flying at the moment

• Options
    Shady_Ady wrote (see)

Spoons......I've started doing 800m @ 10k pace, working from 6 reps and hopefully up to 10. In your honest opinion, iwill doing 800m have a difference to doing 400m instead?

Hi Shady - what are your PBs?  If you struggle to convert short distance times I would concentrate on longer, slower intervals and maintaining a good pace during recovery.  If you already have ample speed, the opportunity cost of doing really fast 400s is too great.

Also, bear in mind that working from 6 reps to 10 is increasing your load by another 2/3 rds.  The difference in stress is going to be far more than any changes in your fitness will warrant in a short time.  All else being equal it's usually preferable to pick a volume sweetspot at which you will work for a particular pace (such as 4m @ 10k) and progress it in difficulty by the way you slice it (as an e.g):  16 * 400m 8 * 800m 6 * 1k 4 * 1m etc.

• Options

Welcome, Paul. Nothing wrong with shit races. Nearly all of my races have been shit, except maybe 3 or 4 image

Crikey, how can you guys to speedwork in this cold? I can barely breathe at 9mm pace! Clearly not made for winter training image. I asked my asthma doc if she had a winter inhaler for me. That didn't go down well image.

Another 10.5 battled out in fresh snow this morning. Dunno, but running on snow is a bit like running on sand. My legs were trashed at the end. And of course I had to face a bitter easterly wind on the return image

Simon Santa Claus wrote (see)

Ok team, I just heard on the radio this morning the toughest -athlon you'll ever have to do, are you up for the challenge.........A Dryathlon..No alcohol for the whole of January in aid of some cancer charity apparently...Minni you've got no chanceimage lol

I'm in, Simon. Marathon training will start in earnest in Jan. and after too many nights on the tiles recently I think some detox will do me good image

Barry B wrote (see)

Speaking of running slow, 10 hilly miles for me this afternoon at 7:38, I know practice what you preach but at least it was slower than last Friday's 10. 

errrm, Barry .... 7:38  is...not.... slow!!!!!!

Minni wrote (see)
    Oh and mine are 3k pace..... Yikes.

image. Don't think I have a 3k pace ...

Minni wrote (see)

I am livid beyond belief.  I've just been asked to Chair a meeting tonight.  No problem with that but it means I won't get home until about 9:30 and I haven't got my running stuff with me to fit my run in.  image  Fcuk.  That means either ditching it or doing it tomorrow night, which means ditching tomorrow's 11 miler.  imageimageimage  And it was snowing when I left home this morning.  image 

How annoying! Oh, I hate it when office stuff interferes with my running. Totally share your annoyance! You should cut the meeting short ... as you are chairing it, why not image

Scuba: good to see you. Your recovery seems to be going really well. Fingers crossed. Tackling an IM post stroke is amazing.

• Options
    Hi thanks for the welcomes and replys:

Santa Baby: Great name by the way, I'm glad I'm not the only one, I think I can count 3 good races I've had, more to come I hope!!

2old: What part of the NW do you come from. That was the plan with Blackpool, train hard on hilly routes and reap benefits on the flats, sounds good anyway!!
  • Options

Hi Guys do you mind if i join this thread i would like to start getting the most out of these forums and this seems a pretty interesting one to be part of image

• Options

Thanks all………..it really does seem 400m reps are in. I’m going to try them out for next speed session and add a bit more variety into my life. I still plan on mixing these up with longer distances and I like the pyramid idea as well.

Moraghan……My 5k PB is 21:45, 10k PB is 44:16, HM is 1:40, 16m is 2:02 and marathon 3:44.

From the sounds of it, it’s my recovery period that needs to be shortened as well. I’m currently giving myself 2mins between each 800m rep.

O4S……..getting into movies are just fine……..it’s the put downs when I’m out with my wife……it’s never a good position to be in when you’re the one getting Id’d in a bar and your wife isn’t. Never a good way to start a night out.

Minni….I have only been a non-lurker for the past week, but I think you have set a new record for me of amount of angry faces in one message. I’d be the same….it’s amazing how angry missing a run makes me.

Andrew.......welcome...you should see a few familiar faces here from the Target 26.2 thread.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    2old wrote (see)

Minni- chill-missing a run is not the end of the world . Stressing will undo your hard work. Accept it as one of those things and maybe when it comes to your next run mix the intervals into a warm up and cool down totalling 11 miles. I did that a few times leading up to my Autumn marathon.Theres lots of time to VLM and it wont make any difference.

Yes, but its not long till my HM. image  I just hate missing anything.  I did 2 miles this morning and if I'd know this was going to drop on my lap I would have done further and brought my stuff to run between work and meeting.

its like having the wine bottle snatched just as you're about to pour a glass. 

Andrew - there's never a dull moment here!

Moraghan - thank you for dropping in with training tips.  You know we hang on every word you say. image

Brol - brilliant work on the track.  image

• Options

I was about to say morning and then realised that its already past that time already!

Minni I can share your annoyance....life does sometimes seem to get in the way of running. I was so frustrated yesterday when netball got cancelled at the last minute and I didnt have my running stuff and I had just ate 30 mins earlier. I have a meeting tonight aswell straight after work until 9:30, then im working 8am-9pm tomorrow. I did get out and do a bit this morning but im far better training in more sociable hours! I only managed a 10k at 7.5 min/mls

Paul blackpool should be fun, although the winds on the sea front will be challenging (unless there pushing you around).

Spoons/Minni what do you do either side of your ? x 400m sprints to warm up/cool down?

I tend to do alot of my speed work on the treadmill (although im hoping I will be able to make it down to the track more often now).  At the moment I do a 5 min warm up and cool down, then 40 mins alternating between 105 secs at 15kph (roughly 5k pace, i think) and then 60 secs recovery at 11.6 kph (just under marathon pace) - im hoping to lengthen the time im running the faster pace. On alternate weeks I will do (after my warm up) one km at 14.5 kph and then one km at 12 kph for 10km - any suggestions on these...what would be better etc

ST im glad that it went smoothly for you yesterday.

SBC Congratulations on your run this morning, im so envious of you, I love to run in fresh snow, think thats been my favourite run of all time, when I ran around whirlow with my friends last year. We found a football pitch that hadnt been walked on by anyone - I felt like a kid running across it making foot prints in the fresh snow. image

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Sarah - I have 5 miles in front of my 400s!
  • Options

Yeah it is good to see some familiar faces! Minni - I'm starting to see that! image

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Mora- good to see you popping in with priceless nuggets of advice

Paul- ormskirk area but originally from Cardiff.One school of thought is that the muscles work differently for hills than flat areas with less variety and more repetition for the latter so it's worth doing some long runs in dead flat areas . So to train for Boston get some hills in but for Chicago and Berlin get used to flat running. Others may have a different opinion but my training tends to mirror the course without being OCD about it.

Minni- so it's a HM , another one...you do them every few weeks.You can't pb them all and as part of a bigger plan do you really want to or need to. Thanks to you,I've been working on being relaxed about running and racing relaxed and I'm sure it was part of peaking at the right time. My plan is to try and do some HMs in Jan and Feb and to run 5-7 miles easy before and do the HM at PMP ( try for 89 mins).Maybe in March i will see if I can get a new PB but not worried about it with marathon training obviously going to affect it and not wanting to taper for the HM

Andrew - welcome. Tell us more ....

Shady- looking at your PBS I would reckon on 3.30 being well doable ..you've got the pace so it's just (just?) amatter of banging in regular LRs and MLRs

ST- always good to see a fellow crock returning so well from injury . Nice wor
  • Options
    Shady_Ady wrote (see)

Thanks all………..it really does seem 400m reps are in. I’m going to try them out for next speed session and add a bit more variety into my life. I still plan on mixing these up with longer distances and I like the pyramid idea as well.

Moraghan……My 5k PB is 21:45, 10k PB is 44:16, HM is 1:40, 16m is 2:02 and marathon 3:44.

From the sounds of it, it’s my recovery period that needs to be shortened as well. I’m currently giving myself 2mins between each 800m rep.

Shady - I think you need to work on your shorter distance times, as you need to get a fair bit quicker over those to consider a 3:30 marathon.  Lots of easy mileage and really mix up your interval speed and distances. 

I always make myself unpopular when I say this but your best shot would be to just do one marathon a year.  If you've been running for 8 years it's going to be difficult to develop your speed sufficiently and still do proper marathon training twice a year - unless you've got lots of weight to come off.

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Jogging outside could make you stupid - and more likely to suffer mental health problems
    • Exercising in busy, traffic-filled areas could actually cause mental decline
    • City joggers' brains less able to store new knowledge
    • And have higher levels inflammation, linked to mental decline
    Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2246332/Jogging-outside-make-stupid--likely-suffer-mental-health-problems.html#ixzz2Eks9VfsY
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

So Sarah using the TM is not such a bad thing. You are doomed BRO .

• Options
    2Old2Old ✭✭✭

Mora- so what are you are your views as regards LRs and MLRs -how often how many how far how to run them in terms of pace ? My Pb from October is 3.09 and would like to knock a bit off that at VLM? My 10k pb is 40.04 so I suspect my speed needs a lot of work too. Thanks