RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• Hello everyone, been a while since I checked in and haven't got several days free to read all the posts I've missed - although have been lurking occasionally and did see a cracking 10k time from DD image Sorry to anyone else who's raced well in the last couple of weeks that I've missed.

Well, I've had a shit couple of weeks - an excruciating toothache for more than a week (was told by first dentist that he couldn't see anything wrong, sent me away for a weekend of agony only made bearable by ODing on painkillers, second dentist said straight away tooth was fractured and infected, so had the joy of root canal last week image), lingering man flu and, when I finally started feeling a bit better, a groin strain at football, has meant I did the grand total of 7 miles in the first 16 days of December. Frustrating cos I really felt good after the Norwich HM and ready to push on. Finally getting back into it now and just running what I want while I try to get my fitness back - 10 miles easy yesterday and 4.3 today. Pace for HR well down on where I was before I got ill image.

Ant, hope the achilles is nothing serious.

Re: Shady's schedule. When even I think that's way too light on mileage for a marathon you know it must be! Sarah, sounds like you were lucky to miss out on a place if that's the kind of schedule they have you following!

• Brolish wrote (see)

Minni- what were the schedules like last year?  It's the same coaches, right?  So would expect them to be similar... Sounds like you have a few busy days ahead, juggling drinking and running is a full time job.image

Same coaches, but last year they used RW schedules with some adjustments and seemed to have more leeway to make it fit the runners better.  I think this is all to do with a deal they must have made with Asics as part of the sponsorship and all the free gear the winners get.

Daren - ouch image. Root canal sounds horrid.

Ant - ouch image. Hopefully not too serious, but ice and massage will help.

• Daren- sounds like a nightmare.  Don't you just love dentists.  How can they send you away and say they can see nothing wrong when it's obvious that you're in pain.image  I've had my share of issues with my teeth so very sensitive on the subject. At least it's now sorted.

My motivation levels at work have reached new low.  Can't be bothered anymore.image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    RunnyRunRun wrote (see)

Morning Minni! - Just nipping on to say hi!! Will be going back through the history of this one!! image 

See you in 2014 then. image

I wondered where you were Daren.  You'll soon get your speed back.

Ant - that's unfortunate but let's hope its short lived.

• Daren:  I thought you had deserted us, welcome back and hope you feel loads better soon [holds up vitual mistletoe and blows get well kiss through the ether]

Ant: take it easy, do you think mixed veg might be better than peas image

Got soaked coming to work on the bike and it promises to be worse going home image

Off to see the Old Vic Theatre School's production of Christmas Carol tonight - will be wearing my 'Bah Humbug' hat image

Using every excuse I can think of to avoid marking 60 assignments from my final years............................ 

• I saw Minni kissing Santa Claus wrote (see)

The frustrating thing about it is that other people will follow the advice and schedules and then fail to reach their dream time, or even get near.  Its happened so many times in the past.  There's no way you can run a decent marathon on 1 x 20m run. Get around maybe, but not reach anywhere near your potential, which is surely what the competition is about. image

Sarah -  I think you'd do better having a schedule to guide you so you can ensure you get the correct build up and peak at the right time.   I've got an electronic copy I can send to you but you really need the book to back it up.

Moraghan wrote (see)

Yours, grumpy old man.

And to think the last time you posted you were a sprightly young 30 something! image

I agree totally Minni.  It really makes me angry.

Brolish - no hangover for me - with old age comes wisdom.

• Something to look forward then...image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

It wont last.....

• I might just be a bit more devious than your average person (another reason why I should never enter anything like this) but do the runners have to actually, honestly follow the sessions to the letter? Do they have to wear the GPS watch for all their runs and upload them somewhere so they can be checked?

Even then you can still tweak. Schedule has you running 9 miles as a long run? No problem, run a 9 mile loop with the gps on, loop past home, switch it off, run another 7 miles to log on your secret spreadsheet. Speed session? Do it on the treadmill, noone will know what you've done.

I'm not suggesting that this is what the winners are doing, just that if they think the schedules they've been given are a load of guff there are ways around it that mean you can still train well.
  • I would like to add that we've been doing a Christmas quiz at lunchtime at work and I refused to let anyone Google the answers. So see, I'm not always a scheming cheat!
  • Carrot- but doesn't it completely defy the purpose of the exercise?  Of course you can always not follow the schedule and lie about it but what's the point?  I can't imagine going through all this trouble and investing so much of my time and energy into something only to then resign myself to the fact that it's a load of guff.

• Yep - it's a load of guff!

Ant - fingers crossed it's nothing serious. 

Daren - I've had root canal 3 times. Horrid. 

This morning was a brilliant run up Arthur's seat plus 4 other nearby peaks. Only ran 8 miles in 2:05 minutes. Average pace was 15 min miling! Loved it and may repeat tomorrow. We even got a round of applause from some hikers at the top of one peak image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

The thing is we would change things because we're all quite experienced and know what needs to be done but often the 'winners' don't have such experience so rely on what they're being told.

Personally I'd never lie to my coach.... image  image 

• So the latest is that Asics plans are different to what we're used to as they're influenced by the japanese approach.  But I've just done some research and apparently japanese approach is a 'very high volume approach at a very slow pace punctuated by occasional fast track workouts'. Confused dot com. image

Oh well, it will be interesting to follow.

• Daren: good to see you back. I though your lover's tiff with Spoons the other day put you off image. Root canal is the pits image

Ant: hope nothing harmful was tweaked. Achilles is a bad place for injuries.

sarah tinsel toes osborne wrote (see)
    Minni, what's the p&d schedule? So far I have tried to design my own but I think anything would be better than that!

Get the book on your xmas list, Sarah. It's a good read and those plans have worked well for a few of us on here (for me too). Pfitzinger & Douglas -- Advanced Marathoning. Minni has a cool spreadsheet to go with it image

Moraghan wrote (see)

Shady, and anyone else deciding to follow his schedule, isn't being given a chance.  It's so frustrating to watch someone who is supposed to know what they are talking about perpetuate this myth that you can run a decent marathon off 29 miles per week. 

They way they are pretending to 'adapt' the ultra-shit Asics schedule is insulting to anyone reading also. 

Yours, grumpy old man.

Poor winners then ... they are doomed. I thought some of them did quite ok at the Paris marathon this year. Were those different schedules then?

Simon Santa Claus wrote (see)
    Chick - I found the problem with a 4am start, is going to bed early enough the night before. Cus it's normally a one off, your bodies not used to it, so you end up lying awake until your normal bedtime anyway, so I didn't use to get much sleep before my mega commutes.
    Oh btw, you need Sealskinz waterproof socks for those dark, wet early runs!

Like DD getting up early is my daily routine. I'm used to it. I wake up around 3:30 most days ... and I'm fine during the day, i. e. don't get tired but it means I go to bed at 9pm ... I would run in the evenings if I knew I would get outta here on time but they pay me decent money for being flexible so more often than not I work 10-12 hours. Sealskinz sound good. On to the last minute wish list with them image

• kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭

On the subject of low mileage, my f*rman book has arrived...  image  Trying to read it, but why oh why do training books always have to have such an evangelical tone to them?  If I have to read another gushing testimonial I'm gonna vom.

Left hammy still feeling tight, hoping its just gardening/climbing DOMS rather than anything else.

Simon -  I love sealskinz for cycling, but I can only imagine running in them is blistertastic.

Bro - feeling the same on work motivation - I've finished everything I'm here to do and am just sitting in the office seeing out the last few days of my contract.  Its easy, but I'm not good at not having much to do!

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Carrot- that's what I'd do. I'd go mental with boredom with hat schedule. I suppose they could fill in the gaps with IM training

Ant- now rest please...Achilles injuries are not fun ,almost as bad as knee injuries.

Daren- don't worry you'll soon be over it and you won't take long to get back upto speed. You're not like us old ones who lose it even when we keep training

DD- time to up the speed for your 10 k intervals. That should have been tough.

Chick- I tried an early start today ,if you call 7.30 on the TM early. No way could I do what you do. My joints take half n hour to work loose.

Bro- yes they regularly run over marathon distance. Just shows there are many ways to kill a cat...and Minni knows more than most

Mora- if that low mileage schedule works you'll have to quit as a coach. Think your career is secure though.

KFC- let the hammy mend.

There seem to be a lot of niggles developing amongst thread members. Maybe it's time to recover over Xmas and return in the New Year fighting fit..........can't see that happening some how.

Sarah - I got my P&D book on Amazon at a big discount. I adapt some of their ideas into a RW schedule. Follow the right schedule and you'll definitely make the most of your considerable ability

7.25 m run today starting at 7.25 am ....legs heavy and feeling the beer from last night . Carols in the cathedral tonight.
  • Ha, good point 2old!  I think I have truth and justice on my side for once.

• Making no excuses for how poor the Asics plan was for Ady  but maybe RW felt obliged or had no choice to give the plans some publicity, it seems some of the runners, AW fo example , had discussed the plans before putting them online whereas the more inexperienced runners did n't.  But it seems the coaches have listened to the views on the plans weaknesses and are changing them.

Daren  - A couple of bad weeks, glad it's all sorted, tooth aches not nice, had a similar experience in Sep/Oct getting passed between Doctor and Dentist. I'm sure you'll be back to your speedy self pretty quickly.

Ant - Take it easy with the achilles, lay off speedwork/hills for a bit.

3.5 into work last night and 4.5 home this morning.

• Ant - Hope achilles is feeling better.

Daren - With only a week or two off your fitness will pick up to the old level really quickly. Hope the teeth have settled down.

Enjoying the discussion about Asics, Sarah you had a lucky escape.

Got all clear from consultant on Tuesday, can train how I like HR wise but have to avoid straining type activity such as heavy waits in the gym for the next month or so. Got CD's through the post today, most are ultra sound images and sequences which mean nothing to me but on disc had 3 xray sequences which are like a video of them inserting the device, it brilliant to see what they actually did and the technology they use.

Having been given the all clear I went home and did 45mins of intervals on the turbo trainer.This morning 25-30mins run easy but very enjoyable and after physio at lunchtime 40 mins in the pool.

• Daren - hope you feel better soon...you'll be back in no time.

Ant - rest and ice for a few days. And fingers crossed.

ST - congrats on the all clear.

Spoons - nice training.

Weather permitting...long run for me tomorrow.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    ST - that's great news. Glad you celebrated in style!

It's a horrendous forecast for here tomorrow AA, hope it's better with you for your long one.

Got my intervals done and have to say it felt good. I've decided like 200m reps best of all. There's no time to get tired!
  • Is a birthday cheer in order for Moz? image

Minni - any chance of doing the 18m on Saturday?

Hope the achilles pain doesn't last Ant, deep heat works wonders.

Don't panic Daren you've only had a few weeks off.  If anything it's probably best that you didn't go back into training all guns blazing after Norwich, rest is good sometimes image Hope you're feeling much better now.

Bro - you've put tons of effort in and have stuck to your schedule because it's a decent schedule from a coach who has had years of developing successful athletes on these forums (and away from these forums) The Asics people have only just started their computer generated training set for them, so they've not yet put the effort in....

You deserved a round of applause if you ran up Arthur's Seat Spoons! Sounds like you're enjoying Edinburgh image 

You're defnitely a morning person Chick, 3:30am is the middle of the night!

ST that's good news just before Christmas.

+ 1 for the CNBA at work! It's my last day tomorrow imageimage

• Evening all, just checking in to see how everyone's getting on. I'm turning into human fois gras, quite looking forward to January.

The Asics thing looks ridiculous this year. Last year's actually went quite well if I recall, but RW seem dead set on keeping the curse going.

• Thanks Brolish, minni,SCB and 2old. I did recall Brolish talking about that book and did add it on to my list of things to do. Just didn't click when I saw p&d again.

I didn't bother adding it to my Christmas list, thought I would be better of just ordering it and it was only ??9.43. Means I will have three running books to read now over Xmas as I bought one 6 months ago that I haven't had time to open yet and then i have the RW one we got given at BC....think I will start on P&D though!

Minni it sounds like you have a busy week....it can be so difficult to fit all the running in with all the festiveness!
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Sarah - did you do the speed session?

Carrot - I must post your gloves back to you! I think this every night. Text me your address.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Oh and Chick look out for a special delivery from the postie any day.image
  • Chick - Regular 3.30am starts is early, but as you're an hour ahead, that's actually 2:30 uk time. Gulp!

Kfc - I've done about 12m in the Sealskinz socks and they were ok. The only problem is cus they are waterproof they don't breath as well, so your feet get a bit clammy, but a small price to pay.

Apart from the testimonies it's a good read the F plan.
  • I saw Minni kissing Santa Claus wrote (see)

Personally I'd never lie to my coach.... image  image 

That's not what you told me before.... image

• Morning

Sarah: Happy Birthday today or tomorrow I believe, P & D is a good place to start.

Minni: Your turning into a sprinter.

ST: Excellent news.

No early knock off for christmas for me, I will be working up to 1700 on Christmas eve, back in the office on boxing day 0730! 

Will swim today.