RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• Barry Baubles wrote (see)

Minni/Brol -  Nice long ones, are you following the same plan?

No, their hangovers tend to be on completely different days!

Chick - looking good there!

• Back from the pub and a little bit pished. Merry Christmas to all of Team Minni. imageimage

• Well we try to complement each other it's all about team work. image

Merry Christmas everyone!
  • Merry Christmas and happy running everyone, and a massive well done to the forum six winners, looking forward to reading your progress!
  • Morning, Merry Christmas to all.

Chick: Nice trophy!

Slight hangover thanks to bottle of 21 year old malt handed to me as I left the office yesterday, 10K club turkey trot d & d, now to the serious part of the day!. First bottle of Magners is chilled.

• Merry Christmas everyoneimage.

Chick - great trophy and well deserved.

• Congratulations chick, what a fabulous pic of you with your trophy.

Merry Christmas everyone, hope you all have a fabulous day.

30 mins until I'm allowed to wake the house!!!!
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    DD - only you would run on Christmas Day!

Up at 5:30 with the kids. Presents all open. The front room resembles a PC world store. Mr Minni is his usual cheery self.....

Got Beats headphones for the TV when I'm on the treadmill and turbo. image Wonder if I could wear them in a race....

Have fun folks.
  • Happy Christmas.everyone - now get out there and do some intervals!!

Simon: BA. present??  What strange custom is this I ask myself?  In clearing out the spare room yesterday we came across the present he bought me for last year [which he then forgot about].  Sadly it was chocolate and now long past its best image

Off walking to make the most of a lull in the rain and to work up an appetite for our Christmas pizza.  Have a great day, wherever / whatever you are doing!

• 2Old2Old ✭✭✭
    Merry Xmas all

Up at 6 and banged out 20 miler , turkey in oven and presents opened, bubbly flowing.

Well only one bit of that is untrue

Have a good one.
  • Merry Christmas everyone!! Hope you are all having a wonderful day image
  • Merry Christmas everyone!

I actually have run today! Only because I've had the worst head cold for the last 2 days and felt a decent run would sort me out! Which is exactly what it did! A gentle 6 miles at 9mm but now feel a million times better!

On the Guinness now!!
  • 2old - What, you mean you forgot to put the turkey in the oven?

I hope everyone is suitable stuffed now and curled up in their new ownsies in front of the tv.

DD - Ownsies, something for you to look forward to back in blighty!

Mr Z - Well done on getting a run in today.
  • I did speedwork today imageimage   - Had an hour to kill and thought about making the most of it -- 8 and a bit miles with 5 x 1 mile at around 10k pace. 6:55, 6:58, 6:53, 6:54, 6:58. Not bad for someone that had more than their fair share of a few bottles of NZ Sauv Blanc last night .... image

Happy Christmas all. Onto the red today image

Barry Baubles wrote (see)

Chick -  Looking good with the trophy, any plans to keep hold of it sub 3:25 or 3:20?

Minni/Brol -  Nice long ones, are you following the same plan?

Freemers -  Good running and enjoy the YKW, Swindon are not doing one otherwise I might have been tempted.

Carrot -  Take it easy with the ankle, put your feet up on Xmas day.

Merry Christmas All.

BarryB: I think it goes to the next person on here slipping below that magic 3:30 mark.

• Chick - Nice quick mile reps, well done for getting out, and you Mr Z.

On the Guiness now after champagne and red this afternoon, well it is my cut back week.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Great Christmas Day running today team! But 2old - 20 miles? Really?? And Chick with those intervals - very impressive!
  • Minni: I suspect you have had a bit to drink - I think 2old only managed about 15 miles before having to do sprints home to get the turkey in the oven.

Triumph at Scrooge Towers - managed not to burn the frozen pizza!!  This may not sound like a great result but counts as culinary success in this establishment.image  One small glass of wine and half a pizza with salad plus an orange for dinner.  Bring on the racing.......................  Sadly all of that actually is true

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Haha! That 20m run has been on my mind all day!

Has anyone listened to the latest MT interview with Derek Ivens, aka Poacher, from the sub 3:15 thread. He is a top guy who some of you may have met in Chandos after VLM. He's a talented marathon and ultra runner (and a great supporter of my favourite marathon, TM) and he ran sub 3 for the first time at Abo, at the age of 50. It's a very good interview and well worth listening to.
  • kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭
    Merry xmas everyone.

I always give myself an xmas present of a run first thing - did 40mins and it felt just great to be back up to running for a decent amount of time. Had a fab day working in the woods chopping wood and bonfiring (aka cross training) before heading in to cook xmas dinner - we ate it watching the red button repeat of bbc 'super saturday' olympic coverage - had to postpone dessert to make sure Mo won the 10,000m again!

Chick - fantastic bling, and even better xmas intervals!
  • kfc.kfc. ✭✭✭
    Minni - thanks for the MT tip - I've enjoyed the recent interviews with non elites on what they've done to achieve their goals. Wasn't he the guy wearing fruit in the chandos last year?
  • Morning - happy Boxing Day!

Minni - I'll listen to Poacher's interview tomorrow on the way to work (yes, I have to work tomorrow imageimage )

Chick - mile reps on Xmas day - respect!

I'm off for my running club's annual beach run this morning followed by a swim in the sea. We get loads of people doing it and it usually gets on the TV. All for charity too.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Spoons there's the local dip here too but I've never been tempted to do!

Yes Poacher was the fruit guy in Chandos. He's actually offered to pace me in London as his target (at the moment) is sub 3:15 in fancy dress.
  • Happy Boxing Day everyone! Hope there aren't too many hangovers image

Some top running yesterday - good work image

I did the YKW yesterday - quicker than I meant to, time was 21.28 but felt pretty comfortable at that pace. It would have been around 22 but I got a bit competitive in the last mile when I saw two blond ponytails up ahead and just had to chase them down. So the last mile was 6.45 whereas the first two were around 7.10 or so. A big crowd for it with well over 200 runners and a lot in fancy dress. Also nice to see both the Jedward boysimage

I loved Poacher's interview - just a normal bloke who changed things around and got his target in the end.

Spoons - brrrrrr image. We're off to the beach today too, but the only one going in will be the puppy and that's only if we push him as he is a wuss image
  • Happy Boxing Day everyone.

Freemers - nice Xmas YKW!

Chick - intervals in Xmas day?? You're mad!

O4S - you do make me laugh!

Gonna attempt a long run today and try as avoid flooded lanes but think that's a bit impossible. Might end up giving up and coming home with wet feet! Got the 10 mile cross country gut buster to enjoy on Sunday so I'm not too bothered if I fail miserably! Then off to watch Reading get beat again by Swansea laterimage
  • Well that was cold image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    You're mad spoons!

Freemers - I hope you weren't in fancy dress and took it seriously!

AA - good luck with the long run.

I met 4 blokes for a 6m easy run this morning. Trouble is with some if these blokes they can't help getting all competitive towards the end! I held back but still ended up finished with a mile much faster than intended. Nice to be out though. I'm now cooking for 13.
  • Sounds like we've all had a merry Christmas image

Hope you managed to avoid the floods on your long run AA, we'll be watching Sunderland get beat by Man City today image

Did you get on TV Spoons? I can imagine "cold" is an understatement!

Some good running done yesterday, I got out for a little 4M with strides before heading out to visit assorted family. Ankle fine so hopefully it was just Saturday's stumble had left it a bit unhappy. 10 miles GA done this morning, saw dozens of other folks out running too.
  • I swam in the Persian Gulf today it was a Jurassic 25C.

I thought I would not be alone running on Xmas day.

Intervals tonight 8 x 1 K off 90 sec recoveries. Whoopee cant wait
  • Back from the first race of the festive season - first FV60 [and second FV50] with a pair of too small socks and a £20 voucher for a local running shop, which very handily stocks the club kit image

Race Report - Clevedon Boxing Day 4 mile race

Over 800 entries for  this, although some were for the shorter kids' race [10-17 years], so a pretty mixed field.  The weather looked threatening although there was no significant rain until we were safely in the pub for the prize giving afterwards [when the heavens opened and have remained that way ever since]

All a bit chaotic - they have chip timing but only gun to chip finish, so much jostling for a place near the front, won by biggest blokes with large beer guts and a hangover!!  First mile is a couple of hundred yards downhill then flat - everyone goes off like the hounds of hell were at their heels, the well trained elite sprint off while a sizeable  proportion [mostly male] grind to an near standstill, wheezing and retching, after about half a mile.  The rest of us trample them in to the tarmac as we pass.

Mile 2 is flat but ends at the bottom of Mount Everest's west country cousin [Holly Hill being appropriately named].  House at the bottom is playing Queen 'We are the Champions' on a repeating loop [possibly has been playing since last Boxing Day], next wave of males start throwing up in the hedge - they also get trampled into the tarmac.  Conversation stops and wheezing increases [that is just me] until apparent top of hill is reached - false summit, up we go again.

Finally get out to the coast road and turn back into a headwind of biblical proportions.  Road undulates along the coast to 3 mile point and then plunges back down to the prom.  Feeling distinctly queasy myself by this point but keep going, only one minor hill to go before downhill finish.  Not many people around me and no decent targets to aim for so just keep going until 200 yards to go when a few young bucks come sprinting past [having obviously got rid of the contents of their stomachs and therby losing a few pounds en route].  Can't be bothered to try and chase them down and probably wasn't capable of it anyway.

Forgot to take my garmin but finish time was 29.34 - 15 seconds slower than last year.  BA was home in 32.13 - 15 seconds faster than last year, whereupon he claimed the moral victory and said he was released from washing-up duty tonightimage

Good event and very friendly [at least amount the female contingent].  The forecast for tomorrow is hideous so I think our off-road 12 mile run on Salisbury Plain may be a bit more challenging.

Off to devise an evening meal that requires no washing up............................