RW Forum Six - Sub 3:30

Comments

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Monday Brol so plenty of time for drinks on Sunday afternoon! Priorities and all that.image
  • ST - thanks for that. I will get my head round it this week. I know nothing about heart rate stuff. Daren is the man for that!

Gazza - good luck tomorrow. I have saved that link. Cheers

Mortimer winter gutbuster for me tomorrow. 10 miles cross country. It's gonna be bad...
  • Great runs everyone and especially those of you who got out in the wind and rain.  We waited for a brief lull in hostilities and then did 4 miles puddle dodging before the light went completely. 

Not sure if the race tomorrow will go ahead - its down on the Somerset levels where they are still pumping out gallons of water every second, plus the parking is supposed to be in fields - currently under feet of water.  We have made the decision not to bother going [it was entry on the day] and take the opportunity of doing a long run.  Still a 10k race on Tuesday so not slacking too much.

Enjoy the spin session Kiwi - we used to do 2/3 sessions a week, but found it a bit much with 40 mins bike commute each way as well - found we weren't doing enough running!!

• Speedy Sarah! image As per other comments, you'll be even quicker on a decent day.

Minni - blame the spinning session yesterday.  Still a decent 5K training run @ HMP? I find with YKWs sometimes I can really run well and sometime I really can't. I've done them where I've flogged it all the way round to come out with around 21:55, or relaxed, took it easy and done about 21:20.  Mine is fairly local so I just go along for the banter and a bacon sandwich, the run is just a bonus.

How did your parkrun go today Spoons?

O4S hope you're battening down the hatches, you've had some horrendous weather lately. A 10K on New Years Day?!  There's one in Newcastle on that blasted Town Moor on NYD, I thought about it but we're at a party all night so it would probably end in tears (or being sick in a bush)

Good luck in your final races of 2012 AA and Gazelle.

Good result at the Madejski Stadium today hey AA? Not so much for us image

I was going to parkrun but decided against it, my legs were still tired from the vertical climbs and descents yesterday.  My schedule did say 5 miles easy, not 5K flat out, so who was I to change it? 

• Thankyou Minni and everyone else for your kind comments and encouragement. It's the first time I've raced a 5k but we did 5k at boot camp on the track, but that involved running fast for 400m and then slow for a 100m, I actually got 20;28 for that (and officially 20:29 today although my watch said 20:28).

I will be hoping to beat that next time....well that's my aim anyway.

Minni you still did fabulous today considering all the miles you've done this week and all the food and drink. You will smash that time next time I'm sure.

Was lovely to meet Minni today and learn more about the history of this thread and the people in it, it has reinforced what I had all ready thought of you all....that you all sound like lovely, friendly and supportive people.

Congratulations to all those that got out and ran today....not the best of conditions....think if I hadn't been meeting Minni I would have been tempted to go back to bed!

Good luck to all those that are racing tomorrow....I'm aiming for a steady 10-12 miles after I've been on the york against cancer steam train.

Now for chapter 4 of P&D!
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    sarah tinsel toes osborne wrote (see)
    Was lovely to meet Minni today and learn more about the history of this thread and the people in it, it has reinforced what I had all ready thought of you all....that you all sound like lovely, friendly and supportive people.

image You obviously weren't listening properly.... image

Carrot - that 10k is run on the grass rather than the paths so not very inviting.  I'm planning to do a fell race on NYD - 3 miles uphill (almost 2000 ft I think).

So the plan tonight was to drink water and have an early night however Mr Minni suggested an Indian.  Yum.  Only had one glass of wine but made sure it was the biggest I could get.

Tomorrow is another run/race - the social Coastal.  A rerun of the summer Coastal but not a race as such. approx 14 miles and will make it up to 18, hopefully. 

Oh and whereas parkrun lost Sarah a second they kindly gave it to me!

• A run on the grass is not inviting but 2000ft of ascent over 3 miles is? :O  Enjoy the coastal, another tough one by the sounds of it.  Ditch the garmin for the 14 miles?  

• Good luck tomorrow AA

Speedy Sarah indeed

DD - go for 3:15

Carrot - my YKW was only a jog as the GF was running. I have a 10km on Monday so was under strict instructions not to go quicker than 8 min miling.

• Morning from a cool / chilly Dubai, twas 11C when I jumped in the car, considering I don't have a coat or jumper which I can easily get my hands on that was Jurrasic. 

Minni wrote (see)
    DD - I missed you super long run earlier - fantastic.

Which confirms what I have always thought, you don't take any notice of what I writeimage Enjoy you none race, race today.

AA/ Gazelle: race well.

O4S: sound like I need to grow fins

Sarah: Nice 5K, thats pretty close to my 5K PB, Mind you I never race them as there aren't any here AND far too short and fast.

ST: The taper will be total as from the 12th Jan  - 21 Jan(Dubai Marathon is the 25th) as I will be in Val d'Isere on the Piste in true Minni style. Might actually do me the world of good to taper properly for once. The best about yesterdays run is that If I had carried on for another 4K I would have had a marathon PBimage and this on mostly sand and gravel tracks.

Will swim today, don't want to but need to get past 300K of swimming for the yearimage

• Sarah -   Impressive 5K.

AA, Gazelle, Minni -  Good luck racing today

• Currently listening to the rain and wind while having breaky - I must be mad. Mr AA has balied out with Manflu so its just me and Master AA tackling it. He's only 17 and is training for his first Reading Half so this is his first ever 10 miler. And it will be one of his hardest ever! image

Gazelle and Minni - all the best for yours.

Carrot - image 3 points. Still in shock! Hard lines for you yesterday.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Oh yes I can hear that wind too. Enjoy the mud AA.

DD I saw some very beautiful photos of you and Mrs DD on the slopes looking like a scene from a fairytale (the end bit where the prince gets his princess).
  • What this? Can't remember what we were doingimage

http://sphotos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/167441_10151328061591211_134995321_n.jpg

• DD- Great piccie, where was it?

AA - Sorry I didn't get back to to earlier, but went down to see my sister just south of Leicester all yesterday.

Gazelle has given you the link for the manual, but easy intervals you can do on the watch, complicated ones you have to do on the computer, then download to the watch. To shut it down..Go into menu, then scroll round the bezel, up 1 to settings, up 2 to systems, up 3 to shutdown, then select yes.

Great 5k racing by everyone. So Minni the mentor, let Sarah the apprentice win, to boost Sarah's confidence.

Sarah, maybe you need to give Minni some tips!
  • Hope Minni, Gazelle and AA had good races.

Great pic DD! Mrs. DD is a stunner! Love her dress image. 3:15 or quicker it is. You've turned a corner with your running, I'm sure you'll have a stormin' one. Does it start early to escape the worst of the heat?

Just back from a curry and a few beers after an epic battle over 17.5 miles against wind & rain earlier today. Felt truly heroic out there image. Would have expected my pace to drop dramatically against the wind but very surprised that my Garmin data showed pretty even splits. I must be getting fitter image. Average was 8:37mm, av. HR 72% of max. Happy image. My longest run since the marathon - roll on Jantastic image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Nice one Chick. That wind is like a wild beast today.

DD - ah how lovely is that? image

My run wasn't a race but it was on the Coastal Race route, kind of.

We were bussed to the start in an old fashion double decker bus. The start and the first couple of miles are in the beach - I can't tell you how cold it was. I opted for the ninja look with various buffs but it was still biting. The trail bits were basically mud baths but got away with only one fall. Took a detour towards the end to get onto road for the last 5. Clocked up 16 miles and look as if I've been sand blasted! Tough run but good.

Off for another liver assault now.
  • Sorry, Have been busy over Xmas, so a late Happy Christmas to everyone.

I have done some running & walking over the period but also tons of lovely food.

Ribble 10k today going for sub 40, course described as fast & flat ? Errr no. Fast field but not flat. Also cold & drizzling rain, with wind against & across you.

25-30 seconds off target in first 2k even... And only one Km under 4min after 6 km. Way down but kept going, getting faster somehow.. Last 3km were painful .. sub 6 pace on last mile somehow, even with hill. Close ?

39:57 !

Will read back what everyone has been doing. Knackered.
  • Minni and Chick- good runs today in tough conditions. I got 14m in and it wasn't pleasant. Sunny for once but very windy and cold.

DD-agh... Lovely picimage

FRC- congrats.
  • DD - lovely pic.

Minni - sounds like a tough run. Well done.

Chick - you def are getting fitter. Splendid.. image

Bro - nice 14. Short run for you.

Ok - total nightmare hard 10 mile cross country run of Mortimer winter Gutbuster. Turned up with My boy. It was pouring, windy and felt like zero degrees. Madness.

Anyway, 70 people apparently didn't turn up, they were also running a 10k which wasn't as popular.

The first couple of miles was quite funny, straight uphill up a gravel track, dodging puddles!( Only because of later you didnt have the chance to dodge!) Then around a ford, ill advised to go through it, and round the Roman walls of Silchester. This is where the fun began. On a slope, in the mud, trying to work out the easiest route. There wasn't one. I knew it was gonna be hard then. 4 miles, down hill through a muddy field. 5 miles across a grassy muddy field. 6 miles, up a hill knee deep in mud. There is where I gave up and thought what the hell. Got overtaken by mrs 40-49 agegroup...I was dying, my legs killing me. 7 miles across more bloody muddy fields. Across a flood across the road. Wet again! 8/9/10 miles. A total health and safety nightmareimage slippy, muddy. Couldn't wait to get to finish line. Almost walked about 5 times.

Anyway 1:25 for me, 1:35 for my boy. And if he can run 10 miles in that I really don't have to worry about him at Reading Half. 38 overall. 2nd F40. No bling I'm afraid.

I'm a roadrunner and proud!
  • Chick: Mrs DD is a stunner but don't tell her

Simon: we got married in Montana, a very strange part of the good old USA.

FRC: yahoo nice 10K. My club mate ran it in 46 something.

AA: sound horrendous. Well done to you and master AA.

Minni: your not making much of a case to get me back to the UK. Another tough run done.
  • AA- sounds horrid. Well done to both of you.

Only 14m for me because I did 18 on Monday. 63m for this week so a decent start to the London campaignimage
  • Mega mileage Bro

Sounds fun AA

• Bro - amazing mileage. Wel jel. 40ish miles for me for the week I think...

DD - I would love to go to Montana.
  • DD - nice pic.

AA + Minni, difficult off road conditions, well done on toughening it out! A good placing too AA, shame there wasn't any bling.

Brilliant 10km result FRC!

Bro that is awesome mileage.

Did spin this morning, an endurance session, high resistance + lots of climbs rather than spins, amazing how much the session can differ as to the instructor, thighs were mashed + felt like throwing up at the end, so a good workout!
  • Well done to everyone who braved the terrible weather (even DD). Great result FRC and AA. It was a pleasant morning here and I wish I had gone a ride but had stuff to do with the family. Did manage an hour in the pool and will run or bike or maybe both tomorrow.
  • I feel your pain AA - wind, rain and floods on our 12 mile run, which was designed to miss the worst of the flooding, so goodness only knows what the rest of the area was like.  We had planned to do 16, but took look at what lay ahead [and overhead] and decided 12 was more than enough image

DD:  Just as well I don't let BA look at the forum - I think he could be encouraged to trade me in.....................

Minni: glad to know someone else opted for the 'less wet' route

Some amazing mileages going on very early - I am keeping my powder dry for now image

Kiwi: I always preferred the hilly sessions rather than the fast / low resistance ones - but they can take a while to recover from until you get used to them

• Was thinking of the racers out when I was running today, nearly got blown over the viaduct at one point!

Sounds really tough AA, that's still a decent 10M time off road if you ask me.  I don't mind so much the uphills off road, it;s the downhills that scare me especially when it's wet.  I'm also a road runner and proud image

Bro you love the high miles, do you know what Moz is planning for you to peak at?

Well done at the coastal today Minni, your skin with be as smooth as DDs after that! Enjoy the liver assault.

DD the weather sounds horrendous over there, 11C!!!! Great picture of you two.

Sounds like a good call not bothering with the race today O4S.

In other news, my beloved Garmin has finally given up and died image Have emailed Garmin support.....

• DD- You are looking better with ageimage

Chick- Its a great feeling when you go out for a long run and you feel good at the end well done.

Minni- Sounds like you training run/race was good especially after yesterdays 5k, you must be feeling confident going into marathon training.

FRC- Well what can I say, such a great result today and what a great year you have had, I wonder how much more you have in your tank?

Bro- Well done on your long run, I can't believe you are already hitting the 60miles per week! Do you know what your highest mileage week will be this time round?

AA- Great race report and well done for keeping going to the end. There is an off road race I did a few years ago and your report reminded me of it, I have never done it again even though its on our race league and everyone raves about it.image

• I did the 5.42mile race today, it should of been 5miles but imagewe had to do a new route as the river had burst its banks again! I was so glad that the rain had finally stopped this morning that I forgot the race would be very muddy and windy it was quite flat which was a bonus. I finished third lady yippee splits were 7.00, 7:09, 7:07, 7:39, 7:29, 7:01  Finishing time was 39:17. I have just stalked the first lady who has a 10k pb of 36:04 and runs ultras for GB, she was exactly 3minutes quicker than me so I'm quite happy with that. I'm looking forward to what 2013 brings nowimage