RW Forum Six - Sub 5

Comments

• Shall I pop over to MK in the morning to check up on her? image
  • morning

Kaz.......I was thinking last night...........we ain't hard making it  a hard job for our mentors.................i think the official coaches.( when they turn up).will have a much easier job..basically follow the schedule...............

but on these ones............we have excuses like ......we can't do a 20 miler that day we have a 50 miler to do...............oh and i can't taper that weekend I have a marathon or a 100 miler bike ride to do...........image

Its going to  be an interstesting couple of monthsimage

• set as I ever am for a marathon XB! Got to sort out what to wear, have jelly beans and coke so shouldn't be much to do. Getting my head into gear will be the bigger battle, as always! Congrats on the comp btw, am v jealous!

Bridget, it would be good to see you. Won't be the same without you there.

Seren, we certainly wouldn't fit the criteria for the 'otherlot' would we?!
  • XBXB ✭✭✭

I think I've got it easyimage

As long as we can get you through the interim maras without injury and doing what we need to to instil belief then it'll be a breeze.

• Noooo, don't mention the 'i' word!! image
  • If getting up early is an issue, just try to disengage the brain.  Alarm goes off, get out of bed.  Almost as a reflex action.  It's when you think about it you realise how stupid it seems.  Don't think about it, just do it.

Also, Meldy has a lot to answer for in regimenting the 10pm bedtime thing.  It really works.  At 10pm, go to bed, without exception.  Eventually you'll get used to it.

(And always, always sort your bags out the night before, even if that does make you 5 mins late for bed).

I don't think streaking is such a bad idea for motivation and routine.

Also, don't find the obstacles before you even start, then you are already lining yourself up for failure.  Set up the positives. The routine of streaking will be fab. JFDI lady, you are strong.  I know you are.

Good luck tomorrow, will be thinking of you.

x

• Oh goodo .. can I send the whole thread to bed at 10pm then?  !
  • I think there's a lot of people who would benefit from going to bed at 10pm.  It's one of my favourite pieces of advice to have been given (apologies, clumsy sentence).

Now, where have I put me jimjams?

Night.

• Kaz - I'm planning to be there from around midday as i should be under the limit by then image  (Rest day for me btw)

M.ouse wrote (see)

If getting up early is an issue, just try to disengage the brain.  Alarm goes off, get out of bed.  Almost as a reflex action.  It's when you think about it you realise how stupid it seems.  Don't think about it, just do it.

This is very true.  We were staying on Dartmoor last week.  I put my kit out in the evening, set the alarm for 6.45, woke at 6.40 and was out of the door just before 7.
  • XBXB ✭✭✭
    Morning

Good luck kaz. 16 miles in 3 hours is the target. Go get it.
  • Go Kaz!!  (She's probably "gone" now hasn't she!!) image
  • XBXB ✭✭✭
    Possibly been gone and done it.
  • didn't look at my time at 16. My ave was 11.02. Half in 2.22. Not got garmin so can't be exact on time but it was 5.22 + change. Course 'bout half mile long so would have been close to 5.15 which was my b. target. Happy enough with that
  • that was 11.02 ave at 16 not full distance of course!
  • Kaz - Nice pacing image Am sure you will get lots of practice before Brighton image
  • XBXB ✭✭✭

16 miles at 11:02 is bang on where you need to be. I'll be looking for the splits.

• Garmin time - 5.21.47.  Will update Fetch log and read back/answer properly once I've had a soak.

Unlike all my neighbours I've been good and not had my bin bags out for nearly a week.  Course the trouble is it mean I had to do it when I got in tonight.  Hum ho, tis done now. image

• According to Excel 16 miles was 2.57.25. 

• XBXB ✭✭✭

Which is where just about where you need to be. Do the next 10 miles at a whisker under 12 mins/mile and it's in the bag.

Your splits show a zoomy couple of miles to start off with then it plateaus nicely at 11s until mile 14 then it's over 12. What do you think causes the pace to drop off like that? Is it physical or mental? How much do you walk?

• I always struggle to get the pace right early on but was consciously trying to keep it in check more yesterday.  The first mile in particular was a lot faster than I'd intended as I just wanted to make sure I was onto the main part of the route before I lost sight of the runners in front!  I made a conscious effort to try and keep my pace reasonably under control (spent most of the 26 miles counting to 100 and then checking my pace to see where I was at!) which I think helped me keep the pacing fairly steady in the first half.

I was flagging quite a bit in the 14th mile and had a wee walk break about 14.55.  Felt better after that and didn't have another walk break until mile 16.

Re the physical/mental thing think it's a bit of both tbh.  Though yesterday it was more physical than mental.  I tried not to let myself give up once the 5hr target was obviously shot which is often what happens.  I find though that once I start the run/walk that my legs get really heavy and though I don't necessarily have long walk breaks the run sections are a lot slower which is why I'm wondering whether it's a stamina thing as much as anything.  I don't really take enough fuel on either but that's always been the case, certainly not a new phenomenon.

Mouse, re the early to bed early to rise thing, I can see the logic, and will give it a go, but it will mean a huge change for me.  I'm rarely in bed before 11 (often closer to midnight) and do love my 'snooze time' of a morning - my first alarm goes off at 5.45 but I don't actually get up till 7!

• XBXB ✭✭✭

It's a puzzle for sure. You've definitely got all the ingredients.

Have you ever tried run/walking an entire race? If you run for 3:20 and walk for 40 seconds from the get go it may mean that you don't over-exert the running muscles in the fist half and be able to maintain 11 minute miling for longer.

The maths is easy - 11 min miling to 16 miles and 12 minute miling to 26.2 or 11 minute miling to 18 miles and 12:45 to the finish or 11 minute miling to 20 miles and 13 min miling to the end. I've assumed you'll collect 3 minutes from somewhere to get you through the final 0.2 miles.

I must admit that you feel like a twerp walking after 3 minutes but it can pay dividends. The first time i used r3w1 I was embarrassed to have to keep pulling over but, in the last 6 miles, when I went past crowds of walkers who had shot their load I was right pleased and I only missed my PB by a couple of minutes.

Do you use an HRM?

• Just passing by in my quest to get all our threads to the top of the page   image

R/W from the start is a fantastic way to race, you are more likely to keep to the schedule and less likely to cheat IMO

• No, I've never done r/w from the start.  Just feels alien.  I was toying with giving it a try next time out.  I don't use a HRM (tho I have one).  I don't know what my max is to do the calcs from and I have a major issue with chafing where my bra rubs so don't really want to add another thing that may make that worse.

Too tired to go to club tonight so just did a couple of easy miles (2.04 in 23.39) as soon as I got home. Quads felt a bit tight at first but other than that legs felt fine - just didn't want to move fast.  Not that I really wanted them to of course!!

• I think you would really benefit from giving it a go from the outset on the next one, you will at least have some comparables at the end
  • Thing about doing it from the off I suppose is that I can set my garmin to do the work for me rather than having to keep and eye on time, number of steps etc. 
  • Can't get anything past you can I?! image
  • XBXB ✭✭✭

LOL. I missed it.

I can lend you a Jeff Galloway book. He's Mr Big in the world of run/walk.