RW Forum Six - Sub 5.30

Comments

• I'm lurking, and have just popped up to say I won't be going for the forum SS thingy. It's all come a bit late - I'm already on week 3 of my training plan!

• Doesn't matter how much your training has started Helen, its a flexible process. 

I've run. image  I got the bus again this morning which makes me run home whatever cos I can't stand the bus twice in one day.  First mile was a struggle and my heart rate even at a slow jog was through the roof.  Then I got into that nice aerobic pace and felt like I could have gone on for every.  Lovely jubbly - a nice positive entry for the training diary and 5 miles in the bank.

• SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

I've just been over to that other place, not sure if I cba.......image And I'm a bit confused can you only go for it if you're sub 4:30 !? image

• I don't think so Spence.  The official 5 seem to be at that pace but I doubt the forum would be so exclusive - or I'll be having a big flounce.
  • cough

M...eldy wrote (see)
    Just in case some people do not venture into the darkside You are now able to put yourselves forward for the RW Forum Six There is a thread in Clubhouse currently Reults will be announced some time next week I imagine Come along and give us your pitch .. all standards and speeds welcome and we have a team of willing mentors just itching to give you a helping hand ! Melds
  • One hour on the turbo this evening.  Longest I've managed on it so far, helped by a DVD.  I'm going to move all my cheesy DVDs to the garage.  Singing In the Rain next.  Today was Mathew Bourne's swan lake. 

Did a swim and bike commute yesterday so that has given me a weekly total of 2 runs, 3 bikes and 2 swims.  That will do for now. image

• Well done Soupy but.........

Turkey Soup Dragon  wrote (see)

a weekly total of 2 runs, 3 bikes and 2 swims.  That will do for now. image

If that's for now what on earth do you have planned for the future ? image

• SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

well done Soupy image

I've pitched, haven't really come across as very enthusiastic though I don't think image

Haven't run all week, still got a cold & am losing my voice again image

• Many Podds a Prancing wrote (see)

Well done Soupy but.........

3 runs, 3 bikes and 3 swims Podds.  But not till part time comes back.

Spence - well done for the pitch. Fingers crossed for you.  And I hope DD is okay after her "swim".

• Podds - I hope your avatar comes back soon. It feels like I'm talking to you naked or something.  Its just not right! imageimageimage

• SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    Thanks Soupy, she seems fine!! image
  • Turkey Soup Dragon  wrote (see)
    Many Podds a Prancing wrote (see)

Well done Soupy but.........

3 runs, 3 bikes and 3 swims Podds.  But not till part time comes back.

Well - you certainly won't be anywhere near me at the back then!!

Good for you for making the most if it image

Podds - I hope your avatar comes back soon. It feels like I'm talking to you naked or something.  Its just not right! imageimageimage

Me too Soupy - there seem to be an honoured few of us who are naked forumites and I have problems with my shortcut links e.g. my bookmarks on some pages too image

RW know about it but action seems to be in short supply rather.......

• Oh, I don't know about the back Podds.  I've no doubt in my abilities to follow the plan, thanks to my marathon training on here which showed I can actually follow a schedule (give and take an odd session) but my speed is an issue.  13mph on the bike and 13.5min miles on the run.  So a one hour session doesn't get me very far.  I'm just going to give it my best shot and I don't have much of a time aim apart from under 17 hours.  16 hours would be nice ie 2 hour swim/T1; 8hr bike/T2; 6hr run.  My TI lessons might bring that swim time down, but I think the bike might go over  8 hours and if I'm shot for the run then its a walk to the finish line. Who knows?  Its early days yet so too early to fret.  I'm going to try and enjoy the training. 

• My problem will be fitting the training sessions in - especially the long bike and long run as by necessity of work they will always have to fall Saturday and Sunday so anything that vaguely upsets the weekend be it health, family, work, dogs etc means losing probably the 2 key sessions of the whole plan image

• Podds - you need to have more faith in yourself.  Remember how well you did at Antwerp on much reduced training?  I know this is a different beast but you've got a good base to start from. I know what you mean about weekends and full time work though. I'm hoping to do one of my long sessions on Friday after work to give Saturdays off.   I'm using a lot of commuting time by running home/cycling in.  Is that an option for you?  Showers are a problem I know but there must be ways round it. I plan a strip wash in the disabled loo.  image
  • My commute is really short Soupy - just over 5 miles - and it's quite difficult to elongate it cycle wise in that we have the sea on 3 sides!!

I can manage a bus in / run home most weeks ( but again only if nothing gets in the way such as needing the car to go to an external meeting that day or having to go home to the dogs at lunchtime).....

I can cycle in and strip wash but it would be a really short cycle...

Oh well - I knew the problems when I signed my life away and it was my choice (although I am still trying to plead temporary insanity image )

• No sea and bikes don't really mix very well do they? image

My cycle is only 5 miles but it takes me half an hour with all the traffic lights, flippin things.   I can extend it quite easy, but because of the traffic I'm thinking of 30 mins on the turbo then hopping straight on my hybrid to go to work to make up the hour session.  I find 5 miles a really good mid week running distance though.   Its swimming I find the hardest to fit in.

• I'm only aiming for 2 swims a week as it's my "strongest" (for that read least weak) discipline!!

I go Saturday afternoon to a coached swim session with my tri club which currently involves lots of swimming in t-shirts and shorts and then Weds before work which means leaving home at 0600 image The downside of the weds swim is that I'm too tired then when I get home around 5.30pm to want to do another session as in effect I've been up and on the go for 12 hours by that point....

And actually the run is generally fairly ok for 2 sessions a week and a 3rd if nothing gets in the way and that is my weakest discipline

i think lack of bike miles will be my main problem and of course that's the most important leg of all image especially as I am a carp runner so will need every saved second from the 1st 2 legs in order to beat the cut off!

• SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

Podds, you've explained exactly why I'd never enter anything like that!!! image

Along with the fact I swim like an old lady and I'd have the bike breaks on permanently image

Well done Soupy for being so organised and disciplinedimage

I ran yesterday, prolly not a good idea as I still have a cold, going into it's third week image but I was going stir crazy after missing a week & could feel a black mood falling, felt so much better after image Only 3 miles, so hopefully no damage done. image

• SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    Oh and Podds, you're not a crap runner!!
  • Thanks Spence!

I have to say that I look longingly at the folk who work part time as for example finishing even at 2 or 3pm would make it possible to start putting in long runs / bikes straight from work a possibility whilst still getting home for tea at a reasonable hour.....

However unless the lottery fairy comes visiting that's not going to happen - especially with Mr P just doing casual hours currently

Soupy - like the idea of turbo + commute - that hadn't occured to me

Do you just do a steady 30 minutes on the turbo? I get so sweaty on mine (but then it is in the lounge!!) but if I did 30 mins steady, a very quick wash and then hop onto the road bike to get to work that would be a step forward...

<wanders off to ponder>

Oh and morning BTW image

• Podds - everything wha Soupy said!

I just read back having had a mental weekend with no time to call in - Soupy, yo are doing fantastic and I am loving your positivity. Mixing up the turbo and the hybrid is a grand idea. I think swimming is always the hardest to fit in cos you have to go somewhere at a prescribed time. Our local pool opens at 5.30am a couple of mornings  a week,s o I guess I'll be having some early starts...

I ran my 1 hour Z1 yesterday and pretty much bonked!!! Note to self, even if busy, eat more! I should deffo know better image

• Quick mid week update:  Did a good swim on Monday, concentrating on TI drills and keeping my head streamlined to breathe without lifting it up.  Easier said than done and I could do it sometimes and sometimes not.  A lot of bad habits for me to get out of I think. Did a 200m timed session for winterswim which came in at 5mins 2secs.  I'm happy with that cos I tried to keep relaxed and concentrate on my stroke which came out at only 2 secs slower than my last week effort of splishing, splashing, gasping and drowning. 

Biked to work yesterday than ran 5 miles home.

Today meant to run back this morning but got the bus cos got up too late. And a planned swim got binned on account of one of the girls sneaking in some home made sloe gin to work. image  Biked home the long way round afterwards.  Swim will have to be tomorrow.

• An hour on the turbo today and off for a swim soon.  Tomorrow I have a 45 min run planned before the turkey goes in. image  I actually enjoy a run Christmas morning. Builds up a nice appetite.

So all that's left is to wish everyone a Merry Christmas.

xxxxx

• SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

well done Soupy image

I've had the in-laws here for a meal and my family coming Boxing day so tomorrow will be pizza image friend is running to me 5 miles & then I'm running back to hers & she'll give me a lift homeimage only did 3 miles in the last 2 weeks image

Happy Christmas all image

• SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

Happy Christmas all image

4:7 miles in 49 minutes, very pleased considering how little I've done over the last couple of weeks image

• Evening.   Just winding down from a lovely day.  5k run at Bushy Park to start with, then cooked full Christmas Dinner (the capital D is deliberate) with cousins over to share.  Just finished eating  and all guests gone home so time to relax.  Washing up can wait till tomorrow.  I've got aero bars for my bike, a Clangers mug that talks, and Nigela's How to be a Domestic Goddess!!!!!  I think Mr SD is having a laugh. image

Well run Spence.  My 5k took me 39mins so I'm not getting any faster but I loved it.  Bushy Park was just lovely.

Min - I know you've been poorly so hope you are better.

Festive greetings to everyone. Enjoy the rest of the holiday. image

• SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    This Billy Bloater has run 5 miles this morning image
  • I'm sure you are nowhere near Billy Bloater stage Spence!  Your running is getting very consistent.  Is this the same Spence that moaned at every run last year? image

I've been good - 25 miles on the bike yesterday in 1hr 50 which wasn't bad considering the head wind, the hills and a heavy head.  30mins on the turbo today followed by a swim.  When I say swim, I mean more TI drills with a few lengths of full stroke here and there.  Still trying to keep a relaxed head and just turning it to breathe.  Feels great when I do it right.

I think all that activity allows me to open this other box of chocs.  image

• SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

oh dear, did I really moan a lot? image

well done, any chocs left?