RW Forum Six - Sub 5.30

Comments

• Oh you all put me to shame.  I should have done a run to work this morning but by the time I'd done faffing it was too late. image  I shall try again in the morning.  Even Saffers got up and ran before work.

• I've sneaked on here at work to say  I did it -  I ran in this morning.  5 miles done. image  I knew I had a towel at work and managed to find a shower.  Shame I didn't have a hair brush or hair dryer! 
  • Well done Soupy - awesome stuff. I managed 2 miles last night and there doesn't seem to be too much pain this morning. Will try a little swim this evening.
  • SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    well done Soupy image
  • I did an hour on the bike coming home too!! image  I think I'm getting fitter, but not faster.
  • Nice going on the run, Soupy. image The judges will, however, deduct marks on the lack of organisation, but how many people noticed image
  • I'm thankful of having short hair Helen. A couple of minutes in front of the fan heater moved onto my desk did the trick though after I'd bought a hair brush from the WRVS shop.  Did anyone notice?  errrr- yes. image 
  • I've got to get my running better for September cos Ealing (my home town) is having a half marathon!!  image  <bounce, bounce>

• You'll be flying by then, Soupy!
  • DLDL ✭✭✭
    Isn't that cheating?

Sounds like some mighty fine plodding and cycling stuff going on. I myself have completed my required 6 miles (only 2 days late and I'm ignoring the 3 miler I missed yesterday) Can't say I'm in the groove this time round - the only reason Ashby sounds at all appealing is the promise of pizza - and it better be bliddy good pizza for all that effort!
  • SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

I beg your pudding !!

You're seriously telling me that it's the pizza that is the main attraction, not a meeting with me and the Far Far.....and possibly Soupy.....and possibly Helen ! ? image

I'm shocked.

and hurt.

yes, shocked and hurt in equal measures !! image

• *joins Spence in being shocked & hurt*

Oh I'm completely up for pizza if you lot are prepared to let me join you. I can see that might be a worrying idea, but I'm housetrained and not at all scary. image

• <flounces that DL prefers pizza>

I fink I'm travelling up to Ashby in the car.  Mr SD might be running but either way I will be going but may not be running the actual race.  If I could do a 12 min/mile pace and keep up with the back markers for half way it would be fun but if I'm on my own plodding 13.5min/mile to heart rate then I'll be dispirited and its a waste of £20 or whatever.  I could just map my own 10m or even 12 mile route instead  for free then see you all the finish for pizza. image

• Or you could just spectate and then have pizza...........everyone knows that spectating is much harder work than actually running these things..... image
  • Poor Podds still has a red cross for a picture.  It does't seem right.  I mean, how can I know I'm talking to the real Podds.  The real Podds wouldn't suggest not running and just eating pizza. image

Or then again...............imageimage

• Soupy - don't know if this is an idea -  at Folksworth recently (also 2 laps), some people were running the 2 lap route in reverse, doing 1 lap. So that you've got the distance, and a marked route, you're passing people (for company), but able to run your own pace. Time it right and you'd probably be passing people for most of the distance.
  • Thats  a great idea Helen. I might do that, if I'm on the pavement not in anybody's way it should be fine I suppose.  Don't want to be accused of gate-crashing the race for free.
  • SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

well what a jolly trip out it'll be image

If anyone shops in Tesco you can use the vouchers at Ask image

12 miles done image poached eggs on toast, eaten image

• Hello!

Forum newb here, but think this looks like my kind of time bracket.

I'm training for the Manchester Marathon on 29th April. It's my first marathon, previously I've run 2 10ks, and they were the furthest I'd ever run. I'm pretty slow, 10k best is 1.02.

I'm running on my own, and have been following begginners/get you round plans, I definitely want to run the whole way and would like to hit somewhere with a 5 in it.

Training has been going ok, I'm gradually upping the distance, but everywhere I look people seem to be doing longer long runs than me already. I'm worried that I'm a bit behind, but also don't want to ramp up my miles too fast and end up injured.

Pacing is also a bit confusing, as I run so slowly, that doing long runs at slower than marathon pace puts me 12+ mins per mile, which seems very slow. Do the same rules for pacing apply at the slow end of the spectrum? If I'm honest, most days I seem to run as I feel... Somettimes fast and sometimes slow!

I'm managing 3 runs per week, sometimes 4, and cross train on one day too. I have a toddler and a job, so between them that's about as much as I can manage!

Managed 12 miles today and felt pretty good for my furthest run ever image), kept the pace quite even throughout, and managed 11.18 average/mile, which for me is something to be pound of!

Apologies, rambly post, but looking forward to meeting you all and hopefully some people as slow as me!
    Beck x
  • SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    Hi Becks, Ashby would be perfectly timed for you too image
  • Hi Rebecca - you are more than welcome to join us on here but we mostly just rabble on about stuff now. We started a year ago with the lovely Iron Min getting me to a 5:30 finish at Brighton which I nearly got (well near enough anyway) and I'm now concentrating on triathlon.  The others have become speedier sub 5 potential and my running has got slower to 13.5 min/miles but I keep on plodding and we still chat with Min popping in now and then to say sage words.

I'm sure there will be other people slow at Manchester - there always is in big city events. 

You might also be interested in Len2 and Bridget's thread - aiming for a just get round at London which times well with Manchester I think.  Linky thing to Len2s thread

• Ooo yes - Ashby 20 would suit you well.  image  Good thinking Spence. 

Rebecca - do you like pizza?  If so you are in the club; image

• Thanks for the link- i'll check the other thread out. Still, it's nice to know others have started from where I am and made it, and gone on to bigger and better (and faster!) things!

And I love pizza- had it for dinner tonight as a post long run treat. Prosciutto, Parmesan, pesto, jalenpenos, anchovies and olives. Mmmmm, pizza.
  • SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

Ashby 20 !

I've only been running a few years Beck, I'm never going to be speedy but my first marathon was Windermere in 5:25 when I did it the following year (2011) I did it in 5:02 so following plans & listening to advice on here works !! image

• *waves at Rebecca*

I pop in here too! I'm looking at finishing my first marathon (Brighton) using Shades' plan in something beginning with 5. Been running on & off for ~ 6 years, but only started plotting a route to marathon summer before last.

Depending where you've got to in training, and where you are, oakley also have a 20 mile race that's agood marathon prep. Its 2 weeks later than Ashby, so makes it too late for me, but might fit your heading to a May marathon a bit better.

Not that I'm saying don't do Ashby, but it's another option to consider.

• SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    But it wont have us lovely peeps and pizza !!image
  • Cheers for the race tips Helen & Spence, plenty of races to take a look at..... I'm thinking of doing the coniston 14 in march- not quite as far, but it's a pretty hilly (although all road) route. Fab scenery always helps too.

Spence, well done with your marathon times- awesome improvement! I'd be over the moon with 5 and a halfish for my first time, hills or none!
  • Morning everyone. image

Back to work. image  My horrid boss has been difficult again and I don't want to go.  She breezed into the office last week and announced that I had to pick up the work of 2 extra consultants.  My immediate response was that I can't do it but she just flounced out with I've got to do it and report if I get behind and by how much. I put in a greivance and met with her and her boss and she was just awful, contradicting what she had said.  Even claimed I hadn't asked for annual leave for July and told me off for booking unauthorised leave.  This is my Outlaw week!!! What happened is she wouldn't sign it off because she hadn't set up her spreadsheet on the computer.  I've asked her twice for it going back to last October but she flatly denied it all. I said I'm feeling victimised for leaving the earlier job. Bottom line is I've got to think about how much extra work I can take on and I'm being referred to occupational health to discuss stress.  Apparently I shouldn't be feeling stress at being told to literally double my workload. image image

Anyway, I did a fab bike ride yesterday.  It kept me sane, and think I would be in a fit of depression now were it not for the fun of biking.

Sorry for rant............need to get it off my chest. Better get ready to face the dreaded day I suppose.  Swim tonight. Then a bike and a run tomorrow.

• Aww Soupy image that sounds really rough - what a complete b*tch your boss seems to be.........

Glad the bike kept you sane though - I didn't get out yesterday as it was wet where I was and supposedly around freezing where I was going plus probably wet and I didn't like the sound of that combination so had a completely lazy day and only did one short dog walk.....

When I was a young kid doing a lot of gymnastics (county squad) our coach used to get us to really stamp down on the springboard fo vault by telling us to imagine it was the face of somene we didn't like!! image  Wasn't very PC (didn't exist in those distant days!) but it sure was effective......  Maybe you could find some similar version for your boss - it sure makes you feel good image