RW Forum Six - Sub 5.30

Comments

• Happy New Year Everyone!

Started the new year (yes yes Soup, just logging it!) with the Serpentine 10k.. busting for a hat-trick and 3 sub-60 10ks in a row! Gun time 1:04!!! fortunately OH was at the finish as he only took 39mins, shouted 'Hurry Up, you've got 30seconds!' so full steam as I saw the clock ticking up to the 1hr mark, then 4seconds image Waiting for official chip time as am sure I got just under.... waiting.. waiting.. thinking about it, I'm wondering if it's acceptable to shout 'fk' at 59:55, 'fk' at 59:59, 'fk' at 1:01.... hmmm.. need to learn some manners I think image

• Oh well done TracyB, what a good start to the year.  Glad you've logged it, would hate for you to be the first to feel Jeeper's spatula! image  Anyone marathon training and not signed up to the challenge of RWUK vs USA then get registered NOW. 

• Evening all - you move quickly in here, I shall spend all my time reading back!

No worries on not doing the biking Soupy - but I would advise against doing extra miles - try to stick to what is on the program, if you can.

Have yet to get my wireless sorted out at home, but hoping to this week and so should be able to pop in more often - am a bit of a useless mentor at the moment!

• Not useless at all IronMin.  Very helpful and you've made more appearances than Bud on the Asics Super Six! Mr Soup is keen to do Tadworth 10 tomorrow but thats 3 miles over the schedule so think I'll leave him to it and do my own thing.  A lap of Richmond Park sounds equally good at 7.2 miles.  Couldn't resist the extra mile this morning, it being so good to get outdoors again but I won't make a habit of it. image
  • Hahaha - nice one Soupy - have just emailed you. The reason I say that is it is tempting to go further now, whilst you feel you can, but the program is written with the whole training period in mind - right up till D Day and so the build is gradual. I'd hate for you to get over-tired or 'bored' of training now, if you see what I mean. You could do Tamwortyh, but drop out at 7, if you wanted to accompany the Mister? The problem with races, I find, is I tend to get caught up in it all and go too fast - a bit of a pain if you have been doing your training to HR as we are - and could make you more tired than you need to be going into next week's training.

I have a drop down week these week, so 6 miles tomorrow - and then next week it builds up again. Lovely!

Off to eat now - will pop back in later, hopefully, if the connection holds out on me!

• Who mentioned spatulaimage

Happy New Year to everyone, great running so far, particularly on NYD.

Here's to you smashing your PB Soupy image - and everyone else on here.

Flags are flying high on the challenge thread, it was great last year and helped me realise that I was vastly underestimating my potential (in terms of mileage, not speedimage), so it actually had a massive influence on my training.

Soup Dragon wrote (see)

I'm not a Super Six, I'm a "Snubbed Six".  Didn't win the big Asics prize with all the whistles and bells but the forum is doing its own with mentoring and I reckon I've got the better deal.  .

You're not wrong there!

• OK Soupy - I've signed up for the UK v US challenge although I can't see me being much good as I'm doing very little running currently........however every little mile counts I guess!

And I have raced today so logged those miles image

• Podds, every little helps.  I had signed up to do it this year, but am on the bench at the moment, so I've had to withdraw.  I can only wave the flag etc, but I'm doing that and I can assure you that it doesn't matter what you do, but every bit that you can do will be very gratefully received, logged, cheered and image
  • Long run day - 7 miles
    So I avoided the temptation of  a 10 mile race and plodded a slow lap of Richmond Park (7.2 miles, undulating) in 1:32.  I did what you suggested IronMin and picked up the pace on the last 15 minutes and kept it slow up till then. 

My stupid question of the day concerns heart rate.  I've noticed this quite a few times and blamed my cheap tesco HR monitor so bought a more expensive one but it happened again today.  I set off at an easy pace, with a slight puff but nothing much and certainly conversational pace.  I wached my HR steadily rise to about 138 after 2 or 3 mins and I kept the same pace going but my HR then rocketed to 172 then today it went right up to 185. I stopped and it immediately came down to 120.  I've heard of the toxic 10 but could my heart rate really go that high without me feeling I'm going flat out?  And is 185 a real max heart rate or a bogus reading?  10 mins later it settled down to the usual slow steady pace reading of 139 to 144 then when I picked up the pace at the end I was keeping at steady 154 bpm.  Any explanations?  Thanks.

Hope everyone had good runs today.  Richmond Park was lovely. 

• Soupy, I do HR training and I sometimes get a rogue hike like that (and I have great faith in HRs as I mentioned on another thread).  I wouldn't worry about it, I often get them early in the run, either because your HR is settling down, or indeed, the machine is settling down! (Might even be low battery.)  You can also get outside interference or static from your tops etc.  The main thing is that your HR settled down, stayed under control and was a steady reading during the rest of your run.

I doubt if that would be your max HR, you're figures are not that far off mine and my max has come out at 191 bpm.  If you are looking at HR, then I'd look to find out max when you're doing some of your tempo sessions, no doubt IronM.in will have something to suggest on that frontimage.

• Thanks Jeepers.  I was concerned that if 185 is my true max I'm not working hard enough and I have trouble as it is keeping at over 85% for any more than 15 mins.  I think my levels are about right (I too am a great beleiver in HR training).  If my rate is 139 it just feels magic and I can go on forever.  That works out abour 12:45min/mile pace is about what my long run pace should be.

• Sounds as if you're doing it right and it's going well then.  Just out of curiosity, what's your RHR then, if you're easy / recovery rates are in the low 140s?  Also, re the 85%, I find that that's about the max that I can manage, I think that the point of 85% is that it is achievable for a shortish run, done fast and consistent.  I do HR training, so divide my runs up based on HRs, but sometimes include an 85% stint in my longer runs, just to stir things up a bit.

• Happy New Year image

I have returned ... and I have done my first run of 2011.   Following a faff about lost car keys this morning (oh, don't ask .... but if you insist .... down the side of a chair) I didn't get home in time to do my long run (well 6 miler) in daylight so had to go for an ammended route as I didn't fancy my usual one in the dark.  I did 2 and a bit laps of the village which was not exactly inspiring but it's done!  Drawback no 2 is I can't read my ancient Garmin in the dark. 

Some good running going on here.  I shall read back later.  Week 1 done and I am still in one piece image

• My very lowest RHR I've recorded first thing in the morning is 48 but at times its 51 so I tend to use 50 for calculations.  My true max I think is 181 but its a few years since I did the max test so it might have dropped a bit.  I'm too chicken to do another. 
  • Cross post TP.  Welcome back and Happy New Year to you.
  • Same as mine, then, Soupy, in which case, your reading of 18something definitely ain't your maximageimage
  • Jeepers - So you telling me I'm not working hard enough??? image
  • Sorry Soupy - I have been a really bad friend and not been on here since I posted my congrats. I am lurgified at the mo' and finding the glare from the laptop is killing my eyes right now, so have not really caught up with where you are.

But I did notice you had entered Wokingham Half.  See you there!  I entered ages ago as its local-ish to me and it's on my birthday image

• Okay, I've gone back to workings out as I understand things. 

Max HR = 181  Min = 50 
    Working HR = 131 (181 - 50). 
    70% slow run = 131 x 70% + 50 = 141.  I tend to run between 139 and 144 on a long run.   
    85% = 131 x 85% + 50 = 161 and I tend to do my fast intervals at 161 -165 which I can't sustain for long. 

Those who don't do HR training will probably be totally bamboozled now and I confess this is the drawback with it.  image

• Oops, missed you there Schmunkee.  Sorry you've got the lurgy, lots of it around.  See you at Wokingham Half then. image

<sprays thread with de-lurgyfier> image

• Keep yer lurgy to yourself Schmunks image

I am bamboozled.  I don't understand the HRM thing at all.  I have one and I have a book which explains it.  Both are very dusty.

• *inhales de-lurgifier deeply*

Am interested in knowing more about HR training as i just tend to run without really paying attention to anything.

That comment is in general and not specifically to Min or Soup

• I'm a fan, having swapped over about 18 months ago.  There are varying types of approach, I think, certainly in the way in which you calculate HR %ages, but the basic concept is that you do most of your runs at a slower pace / easy pace, or in my case, (J L Parker way) recovery pace which is <70%. 

I run 6 days a week, mileage around 45 - 50.  A week might look like this:

Sunday LSR normally @ <70%
    Monday recovery run @70%
    Tuesday steady @80%
    Wednesday recovery @70%
    Thursday intervals @85% (with recoveries)
    Friday recovery @ 70%
    Saturday REST

I change things around a bit and sometimes break up the LSR with chunks of higher %age to push me a bit and sometimes have 2 x steadies rather than always steady + intervals.

The other main difference is that when you run, you maintain constant HR rather than constant pace.  Your HR will remain the same while your pace may vary as against your pace staying the same while your HR varies.

I like it and it suits me, (perhaps because I'm older) and I'm old enough and ugly enough to know that it is possible to develop speed this way.image

• The confusing thing for me about HR training is how to calculate the training paces.  I use Parker's forumula of subtracting my resting but others just do it as a direct % of max (like RW).  And if you work from a max heart rate figure that is wrong you are up the creek.  I tend to compare my HR zones with training paces recommended and if they come out about right then I judge that I've got it more or less okay.  What's happened for me since I started using HR is that my long runs have slowed down significantly and are now at the pace recommended in all the schedules for my fastest race pace.  What I need to do now is the other end and work it hard.  Previously every run was at a steady/brisk pace which was either too fast for recovery but not fast enough to benefit much.  To keep to 70% in the early stages I was running 14min/miles but thats steadily improved. 

This book is well worth reading Compeat Idiot  It keeps going out of print.

• Morning all - start of a new week!   Here's the schedule and thanks to IronMin for looking over it and giving it the stamp of approval.  Sub 5 schedule it is then. I've altered the interval times to reflect a slower pace and put a HR zone in but the slow runs are as the original sub 5 which seem to be about right for me but I know I can do them slower if need be.  I'm pasting week 2 for VLM and week 3 for me.  Today is rest. image

WEEK TWO - VLM runners
    Mon Rest
    Tue 4M (approx 50 mins) slow
    Wed Rest
    Thu 1M jog, then 2 x 1.5M (or 15 mins) fast, with 800m (5:30-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog
    Fri Rest
    Sat Rest or 3M (approx 39 mins) easy ?
    Sun 7M (approx 90 mins) run/walk  

WEEK THREE - (this week for me)
    Mon Rest?
    Tue 1M jog, then 3 x 1M (or 10.5 mins) (HR – 85%) fast, with 400m (3:15-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog
    Wed Rest
    Thu 4M (approx 50 mins) slow
    Fri Rest
    Sat Rest or 3M (approx 39 mins) easy
    Sun 8M (approx 100 mins) run/walk    
  • Soup, this week/week 3 is very similar, using Non-Runners Marathon Trainer

Mon swim
    Tue 3m (will be club efforts so usually around 5m)
    Wed core class/swim
    Thurs 4m (club run, probably around 5m)
    Fri 3m recovery
    Sat rest
    Sun 7m

I agree with sticking to the schedules given as they help build up speed/distance.. however, have been running with club since August and it really has helped me improve my speed. My LSR's are around 11.30mmp (better than last year compared to 13mmp).

• Yep, I think I need to do the speedwork sessions rigorously.  I used to be able to run 11.30miles but haven't managed that for over a year.  Would love to get some pace back. Reassuring that the 2 schedules are so similar.  We are obviously on the right track.  I've wondered about joining a club but the last one I went to didn't cater very well for slow runners and I was on my own at the back while everyone else had to wait for me at road junctions before running off ahead again.  It got soul destroying but my running did improve as I had to work hard to try and keep up a bit.
  • That's the one I am following too Soupy image

Gawd, do my hips ache after yesterdays 6 miles .... that's be because I didn't take time to stretch afterwards .... I should have learned this by now ... but apparently not image  I am tempted to go for a paddle in the pool to ease them off but my house is a tip beyond my wildest nightmares so think that will get a good tidy when i head home tonight.

Quick question for the mentoring one ..... other opinions welcome .... on week 5 I can only really do the long run on the Thursday as I am at a conference on Friday/Saturday/Sunday.  Do I just swap that to Thurs and drop the Thurs fartlek session or do I switch to a Mon/Tues/Thurs running plan for that week?

• I tried a club but came to the conclusion that I am not a sociable runner .... I like the switch off time which running alone gives me.  They were lovely people and (being a jogScotland group) were very inclusive and I wasn't slowest but it just wasn't for me. 
  • SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

I went to a club for a year, only stopped because Mr Spence's teaching nights changed image I was the slowest image but it kept me going through the winter and helped with speedy sessions as I'm carp at doing them on my own!

I don't understand the heart rate thing at all!! image

I ran 4 miles with friend and dawgie this morning, but managed to pull my hamstring, fairly early on image