RW Forum Six - Sub 5.30

Comments

• TP - life get's in the way of the best plans - try to move the schedule around so you do all the sessions - it won't matter much is you do them on different days some weeks - in fact, I sometimes think it is good to jolt the body by chucking in a, for example, short sharp run on the day it is expecting a long slow plod!

I always train to HR and it is very confusing - there are lots of different advice and ideas, but I'm pretty much in agreeance with what Jeepers says. Your MHR may be higher than 185, but as you have worked your zones out from RHR, that doesn't really matter - for sure I can mail you a session to get your MHR, if you like, Soupy?

The thing about HR training is at first, you do slow down and it is frustrating - you are running to HR and not pace. For example this morning, running at 160 - 165 HR, my pace varied from 9 min miling to 9.47 min miling! There is also the question of HR drift - the longer you are out there, the higher your avg HR will be. The question of spikes is vexing, but I would always go by the overall average. If you do spike, try not to stand still whilst you wait for it to subside - carry on moving forward, albeit sloooooowly! Suddenly one day you will realise that you have run a constant pace at a constant HR - and that is a great day! You are then fitter and can go further for the same amount of effort, thus you have become more efficient!

Try to stick within your prescribed rate as far as possible and not much will go wrong.

• I have a few Max HR tests floating around which you are  more than welcome to if it means I never have to do them again!!
  • Okay, I'll stick to what I'm working at now but keep an open mind that if the speed sessions get easier (at the moment they are anything but and I have to do walk recoveries) then I'll know I can possibly push a bit harder.  I'll pass on the max test for now.  Thanks. image  <makes clucking noises>

I do some runs now when my heart rate stays a constant 141 or 139 for a good 2 or 3 miles and it does feel wonderful for some reason.  It will feel even better when I can keep it that constant for longer.  I know HR is a bit complex but I also find it a simple way of pacing.  I don't have a garmin any more and I like to not be getting bogged down with splits or pace.  Its quite liberating really.

See you all tomorrow.  Good running everyone. 

• I agree re. clubs. I think it helped that OH was already established in this one so I got welcomed as his OH. I tried one previously and it was really cliquey so I didn't go back. Benfleet are actually a really 'caring club' and they have so many groups at different levels. I started at the slowest, and with interval training often am still slowest of whichever group I end up in, but it's still improvement for me. Benfleet's quite a big club too, so there are several groups each time we go out. Slower runners are definitely looked after, usually by our Ladies Coach. I think it helps if there's someone there you already know. Its totally worked for improving me. I do however quite like my long runs by myself.

I have some weekends too TP, where I can't do the LSR as it clashes with cross-country races, so will struggle to get my Long Run in Thursday evening and use the XC race for the tempo.

As for HRM, mine's just broken image have googled how to fix it. To be honest, I haven't worked out rate's to work in, but know at my race pace it pushes to 175, and at a LSR it's around 145. That's all I know image

• Thanks Min. image  The LSR the week before is only a 10K (supposedly a race but there are none within 450 miles that weekend) time trial so I think I'll try a Mon/Tues/Thurs pattern that week and as I will have my stuff with me I'll try to squish in my 3 miler on the Saturday morning.  Might even move the 10K to the Saturday so as not to have 4 days in a row as I'm not used to that.

I think I understand the HR stuff a bit better now but tbh it's too complicated for me to stick with and I'd never be able to see my HRM in the dark without my glasses to see what was going on ... ah the joys of carp eyesight image

• Hahaha - nice one Soupy - have just emailed you. The reason I say that is it is tempting to go further now, whilst you feel you can, but the program is written with the whole training period in mind - right up till D Day and so the build is gradual. I'd hate for you to get over-tired or 'bored' of training now, if you see what I mean. You could do Tamwortyh, but drop out at 7, if you wanted to accompany the Mister? The problem with races, I find, is I tend to get caught up in it all and go too fast - a bit of a pain if you have been doing your training to HR as we are - and could make you more tired than you need to be going into next week's training.

I have a drop down week these week, so 6 miles tomorrow - and then next week it builds up again. Lovely!

Off to eat now - will pop back in later, hopefully, if the connection holds out on me!

• D'oh - refresh bug!

The main thing to remember with HR training is it can take a good 6 weeks, even more, to kick in, so at first it does appear frustrating. That good feeling you get 139 - 144 will increase, Soupy!

No worries TP - and as for clubs, they can be cliquey yes. Mine can be a right pain - have gotten round that by getting them to put me through my BTF coaching course - first level is in a couple of weeks. You guys could well be my first victms... *evil cackle* On a serious note, i know there is a woman's running network - I'll dig out some details, there may be someone near you in it.

Back to work.....

• Morning.  Intervals today 3 x 1mile. image  Time for work now then off to the gym.

BTF coaching course sounds interesting Min.

• Good luck with the 3 x 1 mile intervals - if you can, try to job the recoveries, even if they are little more than a slow shuffle! The idea is to let your HR settle, but not rest for so long that your muscles start to relax thinking the job's done! Also, it is easier to get going again from a job than it is from a walk.Have emailed you from my work addy, so you have that too, Soupy.
  • Good luck soupy with those intervals....don't you just love them...NOT!
  • Job? That would be jog of course... LOL!

Learn to love your intervals - hahaha!

• Oh a cup of tea and a crisp sandwich has never tasted so good.  I did it and all of it on the treadmill.  Don't know if I could have kept the effort going otherwise, although I did map out section of footpath beforehand but it was cold and wet and I'm a wimp.  So 1 mile jog then 3 x 1mile @ 10.5min/miles with 400m recovery jogs and a 1 mile jog to top it off.  I jogged the recoveries, to begin with a pace I could have probably walked and then slowly picked it up again. The first mile was okay, half way through the second mile I was struggling and my HR was drifting up but I kept going.  Didn't think I'd be able to manage the third mile but I told myself just 5 mins, then just 1 min , then it was not worth skiving off for the sake of 4 minutes.  But if I didn't have to report back here I think I might have eased the pace off.  Glad I didn't so if anyone is lurking and not sure about the intervals then post your commitment on here and then report back in.  It gives you some motivation (especially with Jeepers on the prowl with a spatula image).  A lot of it was mind over matter.  HR first mile - a steady 164, second mile crept up to 169 half way through, third mile I didn't dare look at but at the end it was saying 171.  Then I melted into the jacuzzi but still had a 5 mile bike ride back home which I took verrrrry easy.

I feel another crisp sandwich coming on. 

Love intervals???  I don't think so but its good for the soul I'm sure.

• Nice going ladies!!

TP ... even if you cant see your HR on the move and you go by PE, it would be a good thing to at least download if afterwards to see how you went, either that or set it to beep if you go over or under a desired zone, I think its quite refreshing not to be looking at it every 20 seconds.
    I cant see mine either as the numbers are too small   image

Min, I did ask yonks ago for the title to change on here, I shall report you to the moderator again   image

• What's wrong with the title Meldy??  It says what it does on the tin doesn't it? image
  • Its meant to say sub 3.30    image

(She is Iron Min and not Ultra Min )

• Ha ha ha - oh yes!  image
  • *sticks hand in air and bounces on seat*

And....and....and.....

Every other thread (I think) is Mentee v Mentor.  This one is Mentor v Mentee.

Sometimes it's as much as I can do to frequent the thread with such a glaring mistake image

• *polishing spatula*

No need for that for you, though, great work and image.

Hate to intervene in the face of proper mentoring, but I'm famous for going off too fast, then crashing and burning too early, so I've got into the habit (well, trying to) of pacing HR - I know the approx HR for the intervals, so I concentrate on doing them in such a way that I'm building up, rather than whizzing off then imageimageimageimageimageimage afterwards.  So, either building up HR (in increments each interval), or trying to make sure that it remains constant throughout (all intervals) so while pushing it, still keeping it manageable, my aim being to complete the intervals in a consistent way rather than with too much variance.

• Actually, being a total pedant (so I've been told a number of times) I'd query the "v" bit - are they going to race each other at the endimage?
  • Jeepers wrote (see)
    Actually, being a total pedant (so I've been told a number of times) I'd query the "v" bit - are they going to race each other at the endimage?
    I wondered that too Jeepers. image 
  • Dont give away all our secrets    image
  • Evening image

I could have been doing with a kick up the proverbial to get me out the door tonight ... I even found that I just had to sort out my knicker drawer rather than get changed and go out.  However, out I went and did 4.4 miles round the village.  Cold but not wet here, great running weather actually.  The extra 0.4 miles was due to an eyesight glitch when I was trying to work out where to loop back.  I averaged 11.5 minute miles instead of the 12.5 on the programme but I didn't feel pushed at any point and when I did try to slow it down then my legs felt ploddy and heavy.

I will dig out the HRM Meldy and give it a go at setting the beep thing.  It's ancient so no download on it.  My garmin is also an Antiques Roadshow exhibit ... hence why there is no backlight to see the numbers when it's not daylight.  I need big numbers image

• Well run TP and a good pace too.  I couldn't see a thing when running a few weeks ago and when I couldn't see my bike computer either I decided to get some varifocal glasses so I've got some prescription sun glasses now that I wear for running and biking.  Otherwise I can't see my watch or anything.  The alarm function is essential though, couldn't keep on looking at it.
  • I have varifocals but I don't like wearing them when I am running outdoors as I find they steam up a lot.  I have prescription sunnies which I run in during the summer ... if we ever have one.  Funnily enough I can see my bike computer no problem .... slightly bigger numbers I suspect!

• Glad to see I'm not the only one who can't see the numbers on the Garmin.  Even considered varifocal contact lenses, but could see that leading to imageimage.  My optician keeps suggesting them.

• I've even had to start taking my glasses to the poolside because last week I couldn't see the numbers on my padlock and had to tell someone else my number to get into my locker for me. image
  • i think you need to tell me the PIN number for your bank card Soup, so I can get your cash out for you image

• I've already given that to the man who emailed me from Nigeria Schmunks. image 

• Funny you should mention him .... I haven't received the share of the $2M which he promised me if I helped get his widowed mothers money out of the country .... must be delayed due to the Bank Holidays.

I tried contacts but can't cope with getting them in and out - I have a very strong blink reflex.  I flipping hate getting old image