RW Forum Six - Sub 5.30

Comments

• Beware varifocals - expect anything up to 6 months to get used to them - really need them before you go down that route.

As regards HR (and if I may put the cat amongst the pigeons here)are we getting a little bit HR obsessed, instead of the overall feel of the set/run/etc? There is no way your HR is going to remain constant during any run of any nature. I would say that a drift of 164 - 171 is spot on, as it shows an average of around 166, which is well within the range you are looking for. If you were constantly at top end or bottom end, then yes there is a problem - but it is the average that I tend to look at. To put it another way, at the end of a race do you say that I did this for the first mile, this for the second etc etc? No - you take the overall. As I said before, HR to end of the run will always be showing as higher - this is due to HR drift and unavoidable, just as it is lower when you start out on a run.

This thread is to encourage and mentor - i.e. to enable a person who has run to discuss their feelings etc, loss of mojo, missed sessions - not the finer points of HR. HR training is great and clearly Jeepers, you are a convert. I love it - but it is a guide at this level and not finite. You need sports science labs for a precise level and we ain't got one of those!

FWIW, I think that you ran an excellent set, Soupy, you mananged to jog the recoveries which is brilliant and most of all, you did it all on the treddy - never a fun day out! Well done you!

Good work too TP! I only swam tonight, so nowt to report!

Lets not lose sight of the fact that this is an encouragement thread, huh?

• Soup Dragon wrote (see)
    Jeepers wrote (see)
    Actually, being a total pedant (so I've been told a number of times) I'd query the "v" bit - are they going to race each other at the endimage?
    I wondered that too Jeepers. image 
    In the pub? In which case Min could be in trouble
  • SpenceSpence ✭✭✭
    I've printed out my Ashby 20 entry form & my Mara training plan, it wore me out so much I had to have a glass of wine!! image
  • image She said the W word ... I'm on the Wagon at the moment and I am missing my wine shaped  rewards image 

• Bit of a presumption, to assume you know my drinking capabilities, Ninja? The clue is in the Flag... I'm a Pirate - we're not generally known for our inability to handle a drink or two...!

Stick with it TP - it may not feel like it right now, but you'll benefit. (Hides G&T away from monitor...)

• Aw Spence thats not fair - me and TP are on the waggon. Enjoy.

Thanks for the comments Min.  It sort of felt right and the tready wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Took me about 6 weeks to get used to the varifocals.  Can't manage without them now, even to eat my dinner.  I take them off when I think housework needs doing though and all of a sudden its all fine. image

Are we a thread full of women??  Where's all the men? image

• Don't know about hiding the G&T Min but I had to put about half a dozen bottles of fizz and a couple of gin (no, not bulk buying they were mostly gifts) leftover from Christmas into the the cupboard in the hall.  TBH it doesn't bother me during the week but I will miss my Friday night glass of SB.

It only took me a few days to get used to my varifocals.  I think I was just so relieved that I could drive and also read without sore eyes and an achey head.  It was a bit weird coming downstairs though until my head remembered to look down not just glance down image

• You guys are lucky then - took me over a year to get used to mine and still not convinced I am - but that said I have a very, erm, 'unique/ prescription!! So much wrong with my eyes, it's laughable.

Nice steady three miler planned in for me tonight with my sister - I train her for 10ks n stuff and we are hoping she will be able to move up to a half this year. She has the ability, it's more a case of fitting it in with being a full time mum, wife and employee!

• What is is about training for something specific which turns me into a paranoid hypochondriac?  I had a slightly achey foot this morning so convinced myself that the PF I had a couple of years ago was returning and then a bit of a stuffy nose and headache so immediately assumed I was going to get flu and it would all be ruined before it started.

I have given myself a good slap and bought some of the First Defence gubbins which I will use until there are no lurgified souls within spluttering distance.  The headache was, I suspect, due to not drinking enough water .... so the cure was a few trips to the water cooler.

• SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

I will be on the wagon soon, there's just a glass left and then that's it! image

The dawgie and I have just done 3 miles round the park, it wasn't pretty image

My plan doesn't start till w/c 17th Jan, so I'm just easing myself back into it!!image

• I know its a rest day but I've done a slow 4 miles for Queen and Country and Team East of the UKvUSA contest.  Only meant to do 2 but enjoyed it once I got out and I don't feel as tired from yesterday as I thought I would.  I'm also taking my bike commuting very slowly (which means I'm late for work most days but nobody says anything).  I might rest tomorrow instead as we are going out early evening to see The King's Speech at the Barbican.  Devil of a place to get to so will probably go straight from work.  Thought about doing a slow run in the morning but will see how I feel - don't want to overdo it.  

Day 5 on the waggon and going strong. image

• Well done Soupy image

I quite fancy seeing The King's Speech but will probably end up waiting until somebody buys it on DVD.

I did 4 sets of Tai Chi then a mile's slither home as the pavements were sheet ice .... more like a bad episode of Dancing on Ice .... I thought I deserved a 5.9 for the time when I grabbed the hedge and did a 180 degree spin.  Hmmm, this was a Rest Day image

• DLDL ✭✭✭

I fancy The King's Speech - instead we went to see Burlesque - qwality film - it was so bad it was good.

Today my plan tells me I will be running intervals - I'm hoping they're like the old fashioned cinema type and I can have a kia ora and an ice-cream

• I'd like tos ee that too. Good stuff Soupy - don't forget to have that rest day though! I ran a nice 3 miles with my sister last night - I have just introduced her to sprint finishes. Something I do in all my runs is pick up the pace to a sprint (or 5 extra heart beats!) in the last 10 - 15 mins. It seems to build strength for that all important finish on race day!
  • I've had a rest today.  Decision helped by the cold dark pouring rain and sleet so glad I did my 4 miles yesterday.  Got soaked on the bike and wouldn't want to turn out again.  Quck snack then off out - will report back about the film. 

DL - I love films that are so bad its good.  I go to something called the Bad Film Club very often for that very thing. image

• I am approaching tonights first intervals session with a degree of fear and trepidation.  This is out of my confort zone.  However, I will give it a go and if I have to drop the pace slightly or take another short break then it's something to work on next week.  It's baltic out there so glad this will be indoors as road surfaces still of Tovill & Dean type.

I have my cozzie so may treat myself to a sauna & steam afterwards if there is time .

No post Tai Chi aches though and my hips and ankles feel better for the stretchy workout image

• Go for it TP!!  You can do it.  image  Tell yourself you can only have a sauna/steam if you finish the set. image
  • If this is your first set, TP, why not give it your best shot, and if you do have to slow or stop, well then that becomes your goal to beat next week! Good luck!
  • Don't worry, I won't give up unless I absolutely have no option other than death or scooting off the end of the treadie.   I may actually surprise myself image

• image Struggled a bit towards the end but the thought of coming on here and saying I'd wimped out kept me going.  2 x 1.5 miles at 10.25mm plus a decent warm up.  Then a short play with some weights and finally my steamy hot reward. I am quite chuffed with myself image

However, I am also a bit annoyed with myself as I had lunch early with the intention of popping out  later for an afternoon snack - usually a banana & apple - but ran out of time.  By the time I got to the gym the prawns & salad were well gone and I was starving.  Felt very dizzy and icky by the time I finished.  I have had blood sugar problems for years and I should know better .... image

• I keep a tube of dextrose sweets in my gym bag at all times, just in case, TP - maybe worth throwing some in? Not ideal, but get you past the hump! Awesome work on carrying on when you weren't looking forward to it!

I had a hellish hard swim session - came out with my legs more plaited than after an uphill speed session!

• Maybe you should take your legs onto the knitting thread Min to see if anyone can unpick them image

I haven't been swimming since my last lesson in Nov image

• Great stuff TP- apart from the icky dizzy stuff.  It really does work having to report back here doesn't it? Well done.  I've only done the occasional 500 swimble over the last couple of months.

Another good top tip there Min of sweeties in gym bag.  I'm often starving afterwards and i stll have to bike home. 

Just got home and the King's Speech was brilliant.  Just popping over to the good film thread to post a report.

• Today it is a rest day.  I am going to do exactly what it says on the tin image
  • Good work TP - I'm rubbish at rest days! I usually end up doing weights or core and telling myself, well it's not CV work..

I swam last night - it was a really tough session as reported but this morning my arms are aching and the muscles feel enormous. They aren't of course! LOL!

I have a 3 mile plod this evening - with a fab run friend, she and I are thinking about the merits of barefoot running, so we'll have a good old natter about that, no doubt!

What's the plan today, Soupy? Is it the 4 miler?

• Rest day today but I'm going to do 4 miles cos I don't need 3 rest days a week. image
  • Okaaay... but only if you promise not to go over the plan! If you must do something on a rest day, try a swim or bike? Gentle, of course! image
  • I don't think I need 3 either but one I fill with Tai Chi so it's only 2 really and I do need those .. especially the one today image
  • Okay - just did 3 gentle miles followed by a 500m swim. 

Min - what would you suggest then?  I want to give this the best I've got and not get to the finish line thinking I wish I'd done x or y.  I'm used to training 5 days a week and have been running around 20 miles a week for the last 6 weeks or so (but slowly, no hard intervals).  Friday is normally my bike club when we do laps of the track and I'm happy to keep on with that as cross training (missed it today) but would this be better or worse than an extra 4 mile run or whatever?   Thanks

• Personally, I'd go with the track session on the bike - in fact, anything that isn't running, because then you are resting your run muscles, but still filling the need to do something... I'm the same, can't get the hang of training only five days a week, so I am swimming twice as well.  I definitely wouldn't run, if you can help it - the program will be written on a rolling basis, so it gathers as it goes along, if you see what I mean, and takes into consideration muscle fatigue. If you run too often, you will reach peak run condition too soon - does that make sense? But if you cycled, for example, you are giving those run muscles a rest - whilst I know you are still using your legs, it is a different set of muscles, with the power/use emphasis being in different places. Try not to go balls out round the track though!! Does that help/make sense?