RW Forum Six - Sub 5.30

Comments

• I think that makes sense.  It will be hard not hammering it round the track though!  I'l have to take a note in to excuse me from trying to keep up with the fasties like the coach keeps nagging me to do (fasties I said, not fatties!).  And so why do some schedules give 5 days a week then? image

Is now perhaps not the right time to say that I swim on my Monday rest day?  I take it very slow though, no more than 500m and usually a mix of breast stroke and front crawl.  I find it eases my legs after a long run then I have some me time in the steam room and jacuzzi.  I love it.

• Stop Press - I thought I was following the RW sub 5 schedule but they've just gone and changed the whole thing!!! image

Edit - Please Min, do we stick to the schedule as I emailed to you or does the "new" schedule look any better?  New sub 5 schedule   Thank goodness I printed off a copy of the old one or I'd have been right up the whatsit.   

For comparison this is the whole of the original schedule

Mon Rest?
    Tue 4M (approx 50 mins) slow
    Wed Rest?
    Thu 1M jog, then 2 x 1.5M (or 15 mins) fast, with 800m (5:30-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog ?
    ?Fri Rest?
    Sat Rest or 3M (approx 39 mins) easy ?
    Sun 7M (approx 90 mins) run/walk   2 JAN

WEEK THREE
    Mon Rest?
    Tue 1M jog, then 3 x 1M (or 10.5 mins) (HR – 85%) fast, with 400m (3:15-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog?
    Wed Rest?
    Thu 4M (approx 50 mins) slow?
    Fri Rest?
    Sat Rest or 3M (approx 39 mins) easy
    Sun 8M (approx 100 mins) run/walk     9 JAN

WEEK FOUR
    Mon Rest
    Tue 5M (approx 64 mins) slow
    Wed ?Rest
    Thu 1M jog, then 4 x 800m (or 5:15) fast, (90%) with 200m (2 min) walk/jog recoveries, then 1M jog?
    Fri Rest?
    Sat Rest or 3M (approx 39 mins) easy?
    Sun 1M jog, then race 10K or 5M, then 1M jog. Aim for a sub-6:04 10K or sub-52:00 5-miler     16 JAN  

WEEK FIVE
    Mon Rest
    Tues 4M (approx 50 mins) slow
    Wed? Rest
    Thu 1M jog, then 3M (or 30 mins) (85%), then 1M jog
    ?Fri Rest
    Sun 10M (approx 2hrs) run/walk   23 JAN

WEEK SIX?
    Mon Rest
    Tue 5M (approx 64 mins) slow
    Wed ?Rest
    Thu 1M jog, then 6 x 400m (or 2 mins) fast (90%) with 200m (or 90-sec) jog recoveries, then 1M jog?
    Fri Rest
    Sun 12M (approx 2hrs 35) run/walk   30 JAN

WEEK SEVEN?
    Mon Rest?
    Tue 6M (approx 69 mins) steady?
    Wed Rest?
    Thu 1M jog, 8 x 2 mins hill (90%) with slow jog/walk down, then 1M jog?
    Fri Rest?
    Sun 14M (approx 3hrs) run/walk   6 FEB

WEEK EIGHT?
    Mon Rest?
    Tue 1M jog, then 3 x 1M (or 10:00 mins) (90%) fast, with 400m (3-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog?
    Wed Rest
    Thu 7M (approx 90 mins) slow
    Fri Rest?
    Sat Rest ?or 3M (approx 39 mins) easy?
    Sun Race (5M to half-marathon)  - Wokingham Half Marathon 13 FEB

• WEEK NINE
    Mon Rest?
    Tue 1M jog, 8 x 200m (or 70secs) (95%) fast with 100m (or 1-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog?
    Wed Rest?
    Thu 8M (approx 90 mins) 80%
    ?Fri Rest?
    Sun 16M (approx 3hrs 25 mins) run/walk   20 FEB

WEEK TEN?
    Mon Rest?
    Tue 1M jog, 3 x 1.5M (or 16 mins) (85%)fast with 400m (or 3-min) jog recoveries, then 1 mile jog?
    Wed Rest ?or 5M (approx 64 mins) slow
    Thu 1M jog, then 3M (approx 33 mins) brisk (80%), then 1M jog
    Fri Rest?
    Sat Rest or 3M (approx 39 mins) easy
    Sun Half-marathon (aim for sub-2:30)   27 FEB  (Tunbridge Wells HM??)

WEEK ELEVEN?
    Mon Rest?
    Tue 1M jog, then 5M (approx 54 mins) fartlek (85%), then 1M jog?
    Wed Rest or 5M (approx 64 mins) slow?
    Thu 10M (approx 1hr 55) steady (80%)?
    Fri Rest?
    Sun 18M (approx 3hrs 50) slow   6 MARCH

WEEK TWELVE
    Mon Rest?
    Tue 1M jog, 3 x 1.5M (or 15mins) fast with 400m (90%) (or 3-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog?
    Wed Rest or 7M (approx 90 mins) slow?
    Thu 1M jog, then 3M (approx 33 mins) brisk (85%), then 1M jog?
    Fri Rest?
    Sat Rest?
    Sun 18M (approx 3hrs 50) slow – 13 MARCH   

WEEK THIRTEEN
    Mon Rest?
    Tue 1M jog, then 4 x 1M (or 10.5 mins) fast, (90%) with 200m (or 2:15 min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog?
    Wed Rest or 6M (approx 77 mins) slow?
    Thu 1M jog, then 4M (approx 45 mins) brisk (80%), then 1M jog?
    Fri Rest?
    Sat Rest?
    Sun 20M (approx 4hrs 15) slow    20 MARCH

WEEK FOURTEEN
    Mon Rest?
    Tue 1M jog, then 5 x 800m (or 5- mins) fast, (85%) with 100m (or 1-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog?
    Wed Rest
    ?Thu 6M (approx 65 mins) steady (80%)
    Fri Rest?
    Sun 17M (approx 3hrs 30) slow   27 MARCH

WEEK FIFTEEN
    Mon Rest ?
    Tue 1M jog, then 8 x 2:15 mins hill with slow jog/walk down, then 1M jog?
    Wed ?Rest
    Thu 4M (approx 51 mins) slow
    Fri Rest?
    Sat Rest?
    Sun 10M (approx 1hr 50) steady (80%)   3 APRIL

WEEK SIXTEEN?
    Mon Rest?
    Tue 1M jog, then 5 x 400m (or 2:15 mins) fast,(80%) with 200m (or 2-min) jog recoveries, then 1M jog??
    Wed 3M (approx 39 mins) slow?
    Thu Rest??
    Fri Rest??
    Sat 2M (or 25 mins) easy, in racing kit??
    Sun The race?   BRIGHTON – 10 APRIL

Edited for stupid formatting and I don't know why ? have appeared everywhere so ignor them.

• How flipping stupid are they to change the schedules when we're on week 2 (or more) of them already.  I a sticking to my original one which is laminated and up on the kitchen wall.  There was somebody on another thread complaining they'd altered the 4.30 one too .... must admit I though they just couldn't find their way back to the one they were following image
  • Nope - if you didn't print off the original you've lost it! image
  • It's a bit similar to mine.. what have they changed then? If you're only in week two can't you just adapt to it? I'm enjoying my 4day a week run, although have done 26.4m this week and should of done 19m. The club runs are further than my schedules, but feel strong/comfortable doing interval and tempo with club. So far so good.
  • I'm on week 3 Tracy and yes, I can adapt to the new one but after Min spent time looking over the original - and I'd altered the rep targets to reflect my pace I'm a bit miffed.  Shambles I say, shambles. Will probably stick to the original.
  • It's just another RW arse about moment.  My head has committed my body to the original so we're sticking to it.

• I'd stick to the original - you've started it, you're happy with it and you are familiar with it. Seems pointless to change it, dunno what RW Towers are doing?

I confess that I train 7 days a week - I am a do as I say, not do as I so kinda gal! Different programs are written for different athletes/targets/ etc etc - to compare them all will just leave you in a frenzy, there is so much conflicting advice out there. But, each program is written to be followed - failure rates are factored in, if you will, so if you miss a session it is not the end of the world. And if you do one too many it isn't - but if you take either of those to the extreme,then you may as well ditch the program.

4 day programs may include more intensity, more speedwork, longer runs etc; 5 day programs may be more spread out, considered. Hard to say without comparing each and every one.  But generally speaking fewer runs mean harder runs means need more rest days and so it feeds itself... Not sure if I explained that as well as I thought it!

What I would advocate most of all though, is don't get hung up on what others are doing, compare and contrast etc - you are following your plan for your result during your race! image

• Thanks Min.  Peace and order is restored. image

Night all.

x

• Min, I am picturing you with a sagely look, peering over the top of your glasses and delivering your wise words whilst we sit round at your feet and gaze upwards.  I think I might have had too much cough medicine image

Nighty night x

• LOL TP.  I think we should call ourselves Min's Maidens. image
  • Oh no - pleae don't rever me - I'm rubbish - lol!

11 miles for me today...image

• Well if you insist I will restrict my reverence for gin, expensive handbags and shiney new boots image

Sleety rain here so my 3 miles will be done at the gym and will be topped off with some weights and a cosy on down in the sauna.  If it's not busy (ie completely empty) I will maybe venture into the pool to see if I can remember how to swim.

Good luck with the 11 Min, hope it's nicer weather where you are <shiver>

• I'll join you in worship of G&T then TP, but I'll skip the handbag and boots.  I don't do handbags.  Don't get what the attraction is.  image

I'm just waiting for the RAC to come and sort out a flat battery before I can head off for my 3 miles.  Hope I'm not waiting too long or I'll lose the will to get out there.  Its cold here but fine. 

I've looked again at the RW new sub-5 schedule.  It gives a 12min/mile pace for all the long runs then marathon pace for the second half.  12min/miles already IS my best hope target marathon pace.  On the old schedule I could keep up the pace they suggested on the long runs so I reckon they thought it not fast enough.  Happy to stick with what I've got and so glad I printed it off.   Don't know why they waited till we are in week 3 to change - I suppose its for the same reason that they've only just announced the Dec competition winners.  Rubbish really - sack the lot of 'em! image

• Car sorted and time is getting on.  Might give the 3 mile run a miss as I ran yesterday.  Got a pile of ironing to do and the bathroom has seen better days.  Second thoughts - I think I'd rather run. 
  • SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

3.7 terrible miles for me this morning, I'm paying for all the carp I've eaten over the last few weeksimage

The dawgie on the other hand had a FAB time image

• At least you did it Spence.  I'm still here and with a new battery too!  Shame its in the car not me.
  • As Soupy said Spence - at least you did it - it's all time on feet.

11 miles done and dusted. All well till the last half mile which hurt like heck, but considering longest I've done since last July is 6m, I'm happy enough with that. Below 10 min miling which is my target pace and in HR range so all good.

It is odd that RW should change their schedules now, but yeah, stick with your first plan, Soupy. Off on bike then bubbles and jacuzzi at gym...

Later gaters! image

• Three miles done on the treadie for me.  Felt easy and I was tempted to up the pace but I resisted as I have 7 to do tomorrow.  Had to go to work on the way for an hour so no time for weights.  Heading into town now for a bit of shopping and maybe an early cinema showing if there's summit I fancy.  I am avoiding the domestic activity too image

Well done everyone.  Enjoy the bubbles Min.

• Well done Min and TP.  I've done a bike ride instead of a run as had to go to the opticians anyway so biked there and it keeps my schedule on track for total miles per week.  8 miles tomorrow.

• Ah ok, so it's not really a problem as you can still use the original plan image Panic over.

I now run 4 days, swim 3 days, and will get out on the bike when the nights are lighter - tried turbo a couple of times but find it so boring. I used to have Friday night as my chill night, but with the mara schedule it's 4 days a week. Confess to not always getting to swim 3 times due to work etc but the intentions there and run's my main focus.. although  I'm learning front crawl and not finding it easy....

• I am a crap swimmer too TracyB.  I took some 1-2-1 lessons at the end of last year and did quite well but I have not quite mastered the breathing and swimming bit so still panic too much.  I will get back to it when this is all over.  Can't focus on everything at the same time image

Shopping done.  I'd have had to wait an hour for The King's Speech to start and cba with that so came home instead.  Now I need to log my food intake for the day and sort out my purchases ... the only non planned item was a pair of aubergine coloured flatties which were £45 reduced to £7 .... too hard to resist for me.

• Morning.  8 miles today.  Just waiting for my hubby to finish work and we'll go out together.  In the mean time that ironing wasn't magically done overnight so it looks like I'll have to do it myself.

I'm also a crap swimmer.  I'm so crap that I've skived off the crap swimmers thread recently.  I can swim for about 800m at the moment  but I'm so slow and its hard to fit the sessions in while running and biking so will up my game to a morning swim after the marathon.  I was last out of the water at the Vit last year and got herded in by about 6 canoes. At the moment I just want to keep the biking and swimming ticking over.  I'm a slow biker too and was next to last on the bike leg.  Guess I'm just born to be a plodder, but at least I'm out there doing it.  image

Happy running everyone.

• Seven miles done image Averaged 12mm which was tad faster than the schedule but felt comfy.  Quite icy in places so was picking my way at times.  Undulating route round the streets which was uninspiring but comfy as I've done it so many times before.

I won't even pretend that I was looking forward to it as I've been awake half the night coughing and my innards are being tortured by hot pokers in a female kind of way image but all that may have to be overcome on the day too so neither was a valid wimp out.

I will how have a flump on the sofa before toddling to the shop for milk and then it's an hour with my least favourite gadget - my iRon.

• Good going TP.  Nice pace and especially if you're not feeling 100%.    I think about what could happen on the day too before wimping out.  It could rain, or anything so yep, just get out there and do it.

8 miles done.  Av pace was 12.2 min/miles.  It felt a little bit harder than the 12.5min/miles but certainly manageable and still within my HR zone but at the higher end at 145.  I was able to put a pace on for the last couple of miles to just under half marathon pace too.  Felt good at the end and could have done another couple of miles if I'd had to.

You know what TP - I think we are getting better at this? image

• I think we are image it's all about getting back into the old routine for me and staying motivated.  Having this thread is certainly helping me with both .... long may it conitnue.
  • Tickled Pink wrote (see)
    I think we are image it's all about getting back into the old routine for me and staying motivated.  Having this thread is certainly helping me with both .... long may it conitnue.

Touche! <does high five>

• Wow - very pleased for you both, good runs, done when you didn't feel like it and well within target! Nice work ladies. It never ceases to amaze me that training works... LOL!

I've had a busy one - 11 miles yesterday which went well, but I didn't take any gels with me and should have done - last half mile nearly killed me! But then, since Roth last July the furthest I had run was 6 miles so serves me right. Schoolgirl error! Quick blast on the bike in the afternoon and then this morning I ran a 10k with a girl I am mentoring in my Tri Club. she wanted an hour, but the back lanes were just too icy to get a consistent pace. That said, she averaged 10.45 min miling against her usual 11.30, so I was pleased and and proud for her.

Just chilling out now, waiting to see what this next week brings...

• SpenceSpence ✭✭✭

I've run 5 miles this after, the longest run for quite some time image

Normally I run walk 4min/1min (I started this on advice form XB after hurting my knee training for Windy last yr) anyhoo today I thought I'd have a change so I ran 1 mile/walked 1 minute, my fastest mile was 10.29 av pace 10.58........gives me something to work on, when I'm running round & round the park with the dawgie image