My favourite Childhood Toy

2»

Comments

• I loved my Sindy doll (not Barbie, she was a slut). I had two, I chewed the feet off the first one. The replacement was cherished! I had the Sindy buggy, which could also be utilised as a skate.

I also loved my brother's lego and his big trak. I was very impressed to see it was relaunched last Christmas, but despite huuuuuuge hints (AllNew's Christmas List, 1. Big Trak, 2. Other stuff 3. errr, Big Trak?) I didn't get one. Thanks for the jewellery and all that, but I doubt it will fire blue lazers, will it?
  • Nither did my ding a ling.
  • Mine was a Mettoy Ford Gt40 "Computacar".

You could "program" it to travel round a fixed course using the equivalent of punch cards that you fed in a slot at the back.

Brilliant until the rubber rollers that pulled the card though perished and it stopped working :-[

Like this only a White Ford GT40.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Cb5466Vupk

• I had a Sindy horse and my brother had a confederate soldier with a horse. I wasn't too fussed about the dolls but I spent hours playing with the horses. I love horses, me.image

I also had a sledge - not a crappy plastic one but a proper wooden one with metal rails. I spent hours 'flying' about on it in the bedroom and making vroom noises.image

My roller skates - when roller boots came out. They were cool as anything. Our street had very little traffic and we skated up and down and up and down. Mum used have trouble getting us back in the house in summer - we were out running about until it got dark (at nearly 11 o'clock in June).image

Sindy and the confederate soldier 'got it on' eventually. imageimageimage

• Did she play with his ding a ling?
  • Castle Greyskull for my He-man - almost pissed my pj's when i opened that on christmas day aged about 7.
  • Madlot - the only one playing with his ding a ling (apparently repeatedly) was you.

No-one else seems to be responding to your repeated 'ding a ling' references - do they all have you on ignore?image

• I loved my brio railway. I would still play with it, but I geve it to my Uncle when my cousins were little and he just put in the attic for years before getting rid of it image

I also loved my Sindy dolls. My sister and I also had some cheap plastic dolls. In our first experience of discrimination we'd refer to them as the Sindys and non-Sindys. The non Sindys always got the worse clothes! I still have some in at my Mum's but most of their heads fell off eventually, and I tried to give them a haircut, so half of them are bald! I'd have loved a Sindy house.

• We were to poor to have toys, I do remember one christmas one one particular cardboard box though.

I also loved the hole in the ground that I gug, I did believe that I could dig through to Australia and wondered what treasures I would dig up enroute, I was very excited about the prospect of seeing the centre of the earth as well.

• My favourites were Etch a Sketch (and books, lots of books!) I was a nerd!
  • I got an Action Man one Christmas image

On Boxing Day I tied a noose out of string to "hang" him - got the length of the "drop" a bit wrong - and his head came offimage

• http://www.lovelylingfield.com/images/sledge_davos115.gif

Like this. Too cool for words.
    I still have it, and when I leave here I'm going to go somewhere with snow and have my dogs pull me around on it.

• I didn't like dolls, and generally I prefered toys that DID something, like Lego, but I never had any image

I would have LOVED a train set, or Scalextric (sp?).

I did have a couple of teddy bears that I loved, one in particular.  My mum knitted it for me, and at first I didn't like it because it didn't look like a proper teddy bear, but after a while I grew to love it.

Because it (OK, he!) was stuffed with kapok, he went all soft and floppy after a while (no sniggering at the back there!!), but I still loved him image

• I would've shared my lego with you Wilke - that was one toy we did have as my mother thought it was educational.

I did have educational toys like scrabble. But not toys that you could really play with.

• Thank you Mouse image

I did get to play with my friend Fiona's lego sometimes, but only when she felt like it - which was not often.

I don't know what my mother's objection to lego was - maybe she thought it was expensive.

• It's funny how some of your friends or relatives are more popular when you're growing up because of the access they give you to fun things.  Cousin Paul = shit loads of Lego.  Cousin Simon = proper snooker table.  image
  • gingerfurball wrote (see)
    My favourites were Etch a Sketch (and books, lots of books!) I was a nerd!
    My brother got me one for Christmas just gone, as a laugh, and I'd got him one for a laugh too. We opened them at the same time at my mum's on Boxing Day image
  • I did have a Spirograph, which I liked a lot.  You could make cool pictures - I might see if you can still get them image

• I had a spirograph. Liked it, but always got almost to the end of an intricate design then the pen moved and messed it up!
  • i loved spirograph too, lego and i think my scalextrix track...just making them zoom off track and make the dog jumpimage