Sturminster Newton Half Marathon (The Stur Half)

SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
Can any Dorset Doddlers tell me what the new course is like.

Also I see the start & finish are at different venues, how far apart are they?

Comments

• Hi Shades what a coincidence I was just about to email you on your IOM thread. I am a Doddler,live in Sturminster and have been 'volenteered' as Chief Marshall for the Stur Half.
    Have decided to do IOM Marathon - taking family there camping for a few days! Thanks for the tip.
    In reference to Stur half, I have not done the new route yet but I understand it is flatter/faster - the nasty hill after about a mile has gone!
    The start is about 500m from old start, just off the town square. The finish is at the High School which is about 3/4 mile away on outskirts of town. Your best bet is to park at the Leisure Centre/FootballClub which is adjacent to the school. The Leisure Centre is for post race showers and Football Club for presentation.
    Craig.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    It's a small world in this running game, isn't it.

Good news about IOM, hope you and your family enjoy your time there, will catch up with you on that thread.

I did Stur Half last year (I was 3rd last) purely because the route went past the house I lived in for first 6 years of my life in Manston. Enjoyed the race very much, although it was humid, so have put in my calendar again this year. I'm hoping it will sharpen me up for IOM the following week.
    I don't mind if the new course no longer goes past my old house, I'm over the sentimental bit now!!

So the finish and the start are 3/4 mile apart, have I understood that correctly? Phew, that's a long walk for a runner!!
  • Shades,

The route still runs through Manston, it now goes directly out of Stur on Manston road - into village and on past the Plough to turn right towards Margarets Marsh. You will miss the bit of Manston that you used to approach from Hammoon. So depending on where you lived you may still get a bit nostalgic.
    In reference to start/finish, yes it is about 3/4 mile.
  • Correction, after Plough, turn LEFT. Doh and I live here!
  • Craig,
    Well done for the Blackpool Marathon, sounds a tough one.
    I see your are doing the IOM as well, really getting into the marathon stuff!
    Are you thinking of the New Forest in late September as well?
    I will probably be doing Stur (for the first time). I am tempted with NF marathon ( to at least do one this year)but don't think I'll get sufficient long training runs in. I seem to have plataued? at the moment and the last few races , Salisbusy Fire Station 10 and Purbeck 10k in particular, I didn't feel as good as I usually do and was dissapointed in my times!
    Are you doing Portland 10 on Sunday?( not much chance of a decent time there either me thinks!)
    Presuambly you are doing quite a bit of training and those long runs,
    regards
    Brian
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    CW - I have a poor sense of direction, and I now have some concerns for the chief marshall of this event, I think marathon running affects the brain.

I think it was just called Manston Farm where I used to live, I recognised it last year.

BS & CW - NF marathon is great, I'll be there, one of my favourite courses.
  • Hi Brian,
    Hope to see you at Stur!
    I have been doing a lot of training - but was dissapointed with my Blackpool result(weather conditions aside). Like you mentioned, I seem to have plateaued - one step forward three quarters back!! Starting a new schedule next week - if at first......
    I'm not doing Portland on Sunday - doing a local 9.5k Hill Race organised by Doddlers at Stourpaine. As for New Forest, did the half last year and found it quite tough (another sunny day!)but I am keen to do 3 marathons this year so I may go for it. I have a feeling it has quite an early closing date?
    Craig
  • Shades,
    I think you may still pass it.
    Will keep a look out when I do the course a week on Sunday - providing I don't get lost.......
  • Craig, closing date for NF is around 20 something of July . I actually filled in my marathon application form a month ago but have not sent off as was wondering if the half was more realistic. I did that last year and actually found it good , though it was warm , and matched my pb at the time!
    Perhaps I should send of and comit myself to the marathon now!.
    That hill racing will be good for you!
    I am thinking of spending a week of my two weeks summer leave in August on a 'holiday' on my own ( the family can't bare being away with me for two weeks at a time during the school holidays!)and thinking of basing it around some races ( take the tent and running shoes etc) so maybe the Stur Half will be part of that if I ever get round to planning something.
    Brian
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Craig. will send my entry for Stur tonight.

Must send my entry in for NF too, I believe they do reach or get close to their limit, popular race.

go for it Brian, get your money's worth.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Craig - You can't still be running round this course.

What's it like then?

Still haven't sent my entry in, will do it this weekend.
  • Thinking of doing the Stur Half as a part of the build up to the New Forest Marathon, looks like there are a few of us thinking that way. I haven't run the Stur before, but imagine it is still undulating.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Hi guys, might be doing this one too seeing as it's one of my club championship races. It all depends on the weather though, so might leave entering until on the day.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Grumpy - Apparantly it's a new flatter course.

Craig White who is the chief marshal was going to run round the course a couple of weeks ago and let me know what it's like.

No word from him yet, hence my message above.
  • SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    I'll be there. If its cool then Mak himself may put in an apperance too but he hasn't been training much because of the hot weather.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
  • Phew, just got back!!
    Sorry for the delay Hilly; been away.
    The new Stur Half route is giong to be faster than the old one - with only a couple of significant hills - the first is just after the start and is no real problem, the rest of the course is then practically flat with a few minor undulations (honest). The worse hill now is (as the old route) at about 11 miles - it isn't that steep but it does stretch on a bit. There is one more hill leading to the finish - but you are going down it!

If you want to do a something a bit hilly this weekend why not come to the Tarrant Valley 10 at Tarrant Monkton - part of the Dorset Hill race series.

If you have any more questions about Stur Half 9and a 5k fun run) I will try to help.
    See you there!
    Craig
  • Hilly,
    On another matter - training hasnt gone well for IOM - so I have dropped down to half
  • Hilly sorry - last message was for Shades, I really am losing my mind..........
  • Shades - hope to see you there!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Craig - I'm disappointed you have dropped to the half in IOM. You did a marathon a short while ago, didn't you?

Still haven't sent the entry in for Stur, but I will be there.
  • Shades - I think I have simply overdone it this year to date - I have spent the last few weeks since Blackpool with legs like lead and tired all the time - even when I have rested for a few days - began to not enjoy my running - so I am just dropping my milage by about 25% for a couple of months and then see how things are for a winter marathon (Mallorca in Dec possibly).
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info ref Stur 1/2 Craig. Is this new course different to last years course, which was also new?

Sorry training hasn't been going well for you. At least the IOW has a half you can do instead. Good luck and might see you at Stur!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Craig - there's always the Cornish in Nov if you can't get abroad.

I don't think the heat lately has been good for anyody's running, makes it so much harder.

Looking forward to Stur Half though, where's the best place to park near the finish?
  • Hilly,
    The course is different to last year. The start is now just off from the square, at Station road (still in the middle of town).
    There is now no nasty hill after about half a mile (although there is a small hill after about 600m). The course then is practically flat until about 11 mile when there is a not particularly steep, but long incline that was also part of last year's course. The final hill is down to the finish.

Shades
    For parking at the Stur Half I suggest you use the Leisure Centre/Football Club car park. The race finishes in the High School playing fields, which are adjacent to above.
    Which direction will you approach Stur from - I will give you directions.
    Am off to do Tarrant Valley 10 now - will look up details about the Cornish marathon tonight - thanks!
  • SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    Craig. Did you enjoy the TV10? A bit on the warm side! I like the first half but the bit around Blandford camp is dire.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Craig - Last year I went A303, then Yeovil and towards Sherborne I think. Will plan to get there an hour before the start.

Thanks, directions would be useful.
  • HillyHilly ✭✭✭
    Thanks Criag-that's good to know, but I doubt I'll be there as racing with my breathing at the moment isn't good. Unless the pollen count is very low.

I assume we can still enter on the day?
  • Mak - I did enjoy TV10, however the hills were deceptive, long and draining rather than steep and depressing!I actually didn't mind the camp - it was the last hill at about 8.5 miles that I found the hardest.
    I thought the organisation was good, friendly atmosphere and a very welcoming pub (even for toilet-crazy runners before the event!)
    Hilly - no problem about entry on day. Hope you can make it.

Shades - if coming up on A303 take the A37 to Yeovil, and head for A30 Sherborne. When you leave Yeovil you will join a dual carriageway which goes to Sherborne. This carriageway ends at a set of lights at Sherborne. Get in right hand lane and filter right (A352) (you will see signs for Sturminster) Go straight down this road, across a set of traffic lights and down to a T junction, turn right. Follow this road for about a mile and then turn left to Sturminster (A3030). You then follow this road through Bishops Caundle (there is a good half marathon in this village in February)keep going until you come to another T junction. Turn right (A357) to Stur. When you arrive in Stur you will come to a set of lights at the bridge. Turn left over the bridge and drive through the town, passing through the Square, keep going straight on until you are nearly out of the town, you will see the High School on your right, and just before the school on right is a road called Honeymead Lane - turn down it, go down a hill for about 300ms, first left takes you up to Leisure Centre and parking. The walk back to the start will be signposted..From Yeovil to Stur is roughly 40 mins drive
    phew....hope that helps!
  • SeelaSeela ✭✭✭
    Entry is in the post.

Mak and I have entered the Stickler (he wants his name on the t-shirt again).