Options

The 2011 Marathon Tread

Comments

• Options

I tried to run at that today, even with a head wind  my garmin told me 8.42 pace but when hubby tracked it on good running guide it said 8.14, so I pitch it must have been somewhere inbetween ! I cant seem to slow down to 9 min now ... but thought 4 hours was realistic for a first go at a marathon, not sure how I can sustain the pace for the mileage tho ....

Thanks

Misty

• Options
    Misty, if you're marathon goal is 9 min miles your long run pace should be 10-11 min miles. Training shouldn't be hard work. Just gradually building the fitness up.
  • Options
    X post, based on your half marathon time, sub 4 sounds like a good target.
  • Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Just over 11 miles yesterday in a very strng wind, looks like my run today will be in the rain and windimage

Indo77 I have not done Omagh half before so not sure what the course is like, I always try to stay focused but it's hard during the height of winter at 5 am sometimes, but it makes for a strong mind and body.

AMG did you get to see the Kings speech and have your steak?

Zion well done on  your 20 mile run knowing you could run more at this stage is good.

Mr Spoons enjoy your muddy half we expect a race reportimage. As for the cheese I hate the stuff.

USB sounds like the park run this week was a lot of fun and also a big crowd.

Paddy I am going to race Larne with no taper and run Omagh at just faster than marathon pace, well thats the plan. Well done on the 16 miles.

Jason nice milage for the month so far, your going well.

Tom I was shocked when you said it had been 9 months fingers crossed they call you in soon. Just keep doing what your doing with the swimming, yoga and treadmill as it's got to help once you have had the op.

HY4 hope your dad gets sorted soon.

Misty welcome, just build on your long run every week 10% till you reach 20+ miles, but slow the pace  down and as it's your first enjoy the day as it will be a PBimage. Sorry can't help with the diabetics.

Fiona sorry about the nutella but I did't say you had to buy it and eat it lolimage like you I have all my rain gear out but do not mind running in the rain.

Gobi enjoy your race and miles.

• Options

Hello Mistyimage  Definitely agree lots of stretching for the calves.

FionaC well done on the 20. How many are you planning on doing this time?

NP - You really are stacking up the miles and early days yet!

TomS - Truly hope you get an answer soon but agree with NP that all your cross training has got to be good.

Easy hour for me this morning and no after affects from yesterday so very happyimage

Enjoy your races all. Very windy here again.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Hi Misty & welcome to the thread.

NP,

So do I.  He thinks he'll be back to normal more or less straight away once he has has surgery.  Both Chris & I have tried to tell him otherwise but he dosen't want to listen.

---------

Well done on everyones training. 

• Options
    No Pain wrote (see)

Indo77 I have not done Omagh half before so not sure what the course is like, I always try to stay focused but it's hard during the height of winter at 5 am sometimes, but it makes for a strong mind and body.

No pain it's a pretty hilly route, def not PB territory however the people are friendly and there is great support on the course.  I grew up in Omagh (living in Belfast years now) so I know the route pretty well.  Incline 1 mile in for half, downhill straight downhill straight for next 3 miles, the rest of the route is mainly made up of slow inclines with the exception of the odd downhill but that is of short distance.  The last mile is very downhill though but not as bad as Floral Road in BCM.

• Options

Morning!

Someone asked how NP remembers what everyone has been doing.  I'm guessing he has the page open twice image

I plan to head over to the canal this afternoon so that I can have a flat run on an even surface (the towpath from MK south is very nice).  The distance will depend on how the hamstring is feeling as well as the pace that I manage as obviously it will get dark at some point but the maximum will be 13 miles.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Misty,

I've just put your half marathon time into McMillian's Running Calculator and it's come out with a suggested marathon pace of 9:40 min miles (race time 4:13:09) and long run pace of 10:10-11:10 min miles.   For a 3:59:59 marathon race pace works out to 9:10 and long run pace of 9:40-10:40.  Not sure how this will work out for you however I've found their calculator to be very accurate for the shorter distances but I do suffer from lack of endurance.

Bridget,

It was Zion.  That's just what I have to do especially with Shades thread.

• Options

Enjoy your long run USB.

The cinema and steak is later this afternoon NP....will be a nice rioja with the steak !!

Hello misty, welcome. I am sitting in my recovery tights now...works for me, as do cold baths and massage. 

Good running Zion, your base must be getting really quite solid now....brighton is a goer by the sound sof it...

Fiona, I too have a sweet tooth...its something I am trying to control...I find a little is better than nothing for me ...or I splurge after a while...

• Options

Race report !!

Today was the 12KM "not the roman Nine" race near Straford upon avon. (it got amended from 9 miles to 12Km as few years back due to pressure from folk in the village it went through).

I went into the run after a month or so of slow running mainly on the treadmill, previous to that had been Injury and a 3 week holiday in thailand and Christmas - neither that had done wonders to the waistline. In short I consider myself still in rehab. The medium term plan is a 1/2 marathon in early may where I hope to PB ( sub 1:49). 

So, the race plan was to jog the first bit and then slowly speed up to a tempo run. 

I started at the very back. I was the LAST person to cross the start line by about 3-4 Metres. I started with 10MM trot. The day was great for running. It was overcast. it was 12degrees. theres was a strong wind though, and it was in our face for the first few miles. 

The race is a loop with a large hill that goes on for about 1.5 miles that gets very steep just before halfway and coming down even quicker at the exact half way point. The second half is pretty flat. 

An excellent race for me. Went to plan. I felt I was jogging, yet still steadily overtaking folk. I met a lady about 4-5KM in who was also coming back to running ( from having a baby) and she sped up to keep up with me. We had a lovely chat, both not out of breath and slowly but surely got a little quicker. The sun came out but was not hot and the sceneray/vistas from the top of the hill reminded my of the pleasures of running outside after all the treadmill running I have been doing. 

At 9KM I said farewell to the lady and sped up to a tempo run for the last 3KM. Very happy with this as I felt well in control and had plenty in the tank. 

Splits show that the race went to plan, here they are ( time per mile ) 

10:04, 9:57, 9:46, 9:04, 8:46, 8:32, 8:04, 3:13(7:40 pace)

Very happy !!...wife has cooked a steamed sponge pudding to go with the steak !!! Should finish things off nicely!!!
  • Options

Well done AGF! And a great race report too. Fantastic to feel strong towards the end of a race.

Great running Zion, Fiona and others.

Oh, and all that talk about food image

Welcome Misty - like others said, you are training too hard. High risk of injury and you won't do much to develop your aerobic system. Slow down and your training will become a lot more fun.

5.5 recovery miles yesterday and my first 20 miler of this season today image. Like jason, I was supposed to do 18 with 10 at MP but as I have a 20+ k race next Sunday I will do the MP bit then and decided to run slow but slightly longer today. Averaged around 70% of max HR at a pace of PMP +75s. Happy with the outcome and I had enough strength to really go for it in the last 2 miles which have 3 really mean hills in them. I usually die on those hills image

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

AGF,

Well done & great report.

Chickadee,

Well done.

• Options
    GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Nice one AGF, good long run Chicka

So one of my concerns is how good I am at running around 7min mile pace or short bursts at 5min mile pace so with this in mind I decided that rather than another 20 miler I would do

I decided to do the Wellingborough 15km off road race plus some miles. Simple plan, run some laps race(controlled effort) and run laps.

Did a warm up lap and headed back to the car where I happened to have my XC spikes so I put them on, tells you about conditions on a quite hilly course.

Lap1 and off steady, mixture of 5/10/15km runners turns out I am running with the lead lady in the 10km. All smooth no issues.

Lap2 and I pulled away from the lead lady but was joined by the 2nd place man in the 10km. Funny as on every hill I moved away and he had to come back to me. That was the entire lap with me letting him go as he kicked for the finish.

Lap3 and discovered 2 things, I was in 6th place and I could see 5th. Having not raced for 2 laps I decided to see if I could catch him nothing silly but 10 minutes later I was in 5th.

So what a difference a day makes

3 laps at not much slower than yesterdays 5km pace and my last lap was the fastest. Felt good enough to carry on at the same pace.

54.55 and 5th place, 1st V40

Total miles 15. A good day.

Rach did the 10km as a hard training run and finished 3rd lady with no foot pain :¬)

Off on the bike after 4pm
  • Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

21.51 Miles this morning with 4 miles at MP at the end, legs feeling good, very windy for the first half.

Indo thanks for that, your right about Floral gardens thats the killer in the Belfast marathon it;s such a big drop in height in such a short distance.

USB Hope your hamstring is ok and you get your miles in. You read me like a book lolimage sometimes it's three pages if I have a lot of reading back.

AGF nice report and a good progressive run as shown by your splits, your aim should be to build on this till you can do all the miles at 8mm or below, well done.

Chick well done on your 20 mile run, not sure about having 10 miles at MP though, as for the hills no matter which way I go I have a hill at the end of my run, but great for building up the strength in the legs.

Gobi well done in the race/training run I bet the guy who won the 10km was happy you didn't race him at the end, looks like Rach is getting back to full fitness as well.

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Gobi,

Well done to you & Rach.

NP,

Well done.

• Options
    Gobi - well done

NP & Chickadee - nice long runs

AGF - fantastic race. You're right to be chuffed and back on target.

Ropsley Raid report:
    There were around 150 runners. It was very windy and a bit cold at the start so I opted for long sleeves and tights. I soon regretted that decision as it was blue skies and 12 degrees! I gave up all plans of usual HM pace in the first mile. The course was hilly, incredibly windy (which was always in our faces) and VERY muddy. We crossed countless stiles, a couple of fallen down trees and with the exception of around 1 mile on the road, half the course was on trails and the other half was crossing muddy fields. I ran with a club mate for the first 4 miles, then picked up the pace a bit. I overtook loads of people and nobody overtook me image. Finished in 2:06 which isn't too bad as a lot of it was at walking pace. Several people lost shoes and fell over in the mud by the way. The W.I. were supplying the cakes which is always a bonus so all in all a great day out.
  • Options
    Oh, and it was 14 miles not 13 grr.
  • Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Mr Spoons,

Well done.

• Options

Oooh, WI cakes!  Yum image

Well done Gobi and Rach

AGF - good report, I remember doing that one a few years ago.

I did 11 miles along the canal in the end running within the discomfort range.  Overall pace was 11.16 with miles 5 - 9 all quicker than that so generally pleased with it but will have to see how the leg is tomorrow.

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Great race report MrSpoons hope you didn't eat all the cakes?
    USB well done on your long run and nice pick up of the pace in the last miles
  • Options
    Only one NP. Orange drissle cake.
  • Options
    Much like a lemon drissle cake only with oranges
  • Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭

NP- good long run and well done on the monthly mileage yourself!image In my case it still feels fairly easy in terms of volume only running once a day most days

AGF- Great race and report. Enjoy the steak and the pud- if you haven't already....image

Chick- good running. As you'll see below, my plans changed unexpectedly from the 18 with 10 @ MP tooimage

Gobi- well done on another (relaxed) victoryimageimage

Mr S- Well done- sounds like a tough race- but well worth it for the cakes at the endimage

A totally unplanned appearance by me at the Aber 10k today.Didn't even get the idea until 9.30 this morning! I was all set for doing my 18m with maybe 10 @MP, but a friend of mine nagged me into doing this race. I ran 40.41 which i was happy enough with as I've done no speedwork for months and lots of miles in my legs this week- not to mention the slippery mudbanks and flooded pathimage Still managed to get my miles in for the day- quick change of shoes and top, grabbed the sports drink and went round twice againimageimage Probably the hardest training miles I've done, even though the av pace was only 8.41. Still, 19.39m for the day, 83.5 for the week, 0 alcohol, 1.75lbs lostimage All good

• Options
    HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Jason,

Well done.  I can't believe you're saying that's harder than that run you did the other day.

• Options
    jason djason d ✭✭✭
    HY4- yep, legs were severely tying up after about 25k- no doubt due to the 10k race pace milesimage
  • Options

Well done all on your races today sounds like you all got something out of them, they are impressively controlled splits AGF, well done.

1hr Hatha Yoga and 4M on the treadmill.

• Options
    No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    Jason well done on your double session it sounds like it was hard work towards the end, but well done for pushing on to the end mate.

Tom nice treadmill and yoga session mate.
  • Options
    Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

NP nice strong weekend running. All my running ends on a hill too if I set off from home. A teaspoon of melted nutella on chopped bananas tonight, loving it! image Is your mileage still increasing?

Zion if all goes to plan will do 11 runs of 20+ miles, 3 done already. Did 10 last time and felt stronger for it.

Great run AGF and loved the report. Sounds like you went into it with the right attitude and enjoyed the day.

Another great result Gobi and really good news for Rach with the recovery (touches wood).

Mr Spoons, sounds messy image but strong finish. 

jason also a great race, you guys are all so chilled about your races. I'm like a rabbit in the headlights, probably don't do enough.

jason and chickadee that's a really tough schedule you are both following with all that MP running - is it P & D? Nice mileage by the way.

Easy 5.15 miles for me this morning, blowing a gale but slooow recovery run. 60 miles for the week.