The 2011 Marathon Tread

Comments

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Tom well done on the yoga and TM. Just away to do some stretching as the hip flexor really hurts but only when I'm not running!

F

• Guys, many thanks for your comments. It's been a good day. Steak was lovely. Steamed sponge pudding with home made damson jam was great. Kings speech was a v.good film. A nice cup to finish Sunday.

Gobi, mr spoons and Jason. Well done with your races. Some good tough running there, and some good control too... The main races are yet to come.

• Great stuff Jason. Turning up at a race and going round 3 times lol. At your pace you must have started overtaking people on the 2nd lap.
  • Some good disciplined running from chick, USB, Fiona and NP too. Those long runs really will pay benefit later on..
    USB.. Hope the leg improves... Is not fun running injured. Fiona, same with the flexor.

Thanks Tom. Was nice to just get out so was easy to control myself as I had a big smile and just enjoyed myself. Some good cross training from you can only help the injury..
  • Blimey this forum is busy... a couple of days away and pages to read...

Welcome to all new posters... Misty et al.

AGF - great race report and well done on your efforts.

Mr S - another good report, the 'raid' sounds like something I'd love...

Jason - top effort at the Aber 10K.

Merthyr Mawr was great today. Rain held off for an exceptionally wet and muddy course. Apart from the sand dunes which were soft and exceptionally draining! Managed 48:47 which was under my 50:00 target and 6 minutes quicker than last year image

Ate the Xmas Pud after Sunday roast today. Very nice it was too image

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Jay,

Well done.

• jay, 6 mins is excellent improvemnet in a year. Well done fella...
  • Morning all.

First week of plan done and all holding together in one piece.

I see  a few on the 20 milers already. I have an "18-20" planned for sat next. I think i'll aim for the high end. My 16-18 on sat last only got to 16 (gale force winds and rain - heavy a times).

Well done to the weekend racers (my next planned is a 10 miler Sunday 30 Jan). Missed a half at the weekend as it was too close to recent injury.

Mr S - is today "Doc Day" - hope it goes well. 

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Mr Spoons,

Good luck with the docs.

• Jay - well done on the race. Excellent improvement in time. 6 minutes quicker next year?

Paddy / HY4 - yes, today is doc day. It seems a bit strange really as I'm feeling great at the minute and looking forward to all training.

Oh, and I'm going to sign up for Norwich Triathlon this year if I can find someone to lend me a bike and a wetsuit!
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Mr Spoons,

Good to hear that however best to get yourself checked out.

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Good luck Mr Spoons.

jayc excellent result, well done!

Beautiful day here today. Half mile reps tonight.

F

• Hello folks...back from holiday, and haven't had much chance to read back. But I am sure there's been lots of good training, racing (well done!) and a few illnesses/injuries (get well soon). Plus hello to newbies... will get a better catch up laterimage

I managed 5 runs while on holiday - not very long (longest was 7.5 miles), but all pretty hilly and stuck to my plan of not worrying about the miles. Then managed a quick-ish 8 miles on Saturday and then 17 yesterday with a few MP miles towards the end.

• Welcome back Freemers image

I trust you are feeling revived, refreshed and eager to get back into proper training?
  • Gobi - question re: long runs. My schedule currently looks like:
    18, 20, 13, 20, 13, 20, 26.2 off road race, 13.1 race, 20, 20, 12, 8, VLM.

I intend to jog the 26.2 very slowly and get a PB at the half.

What would you suggest in terms of marathon pace stuff?
  • Mr Spoons wrote (see)
    Welcome back Freemers image I trust you are feeling revived, refreshed and eager to get back into proper training?

Hmmm....yes, revived and refreshed, and would love to get back to proper training, but I am already having one of those nightmare weeks where my schedule has gone out of the window...looking like only getting out Wednesday, possibly tomorrow. Trying not to panic too much (it's only January...)

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    I can't remember who hoped my Dad got his op soon.  Maybe Tom?  However he goes in for an assessment on 21 Jan then back again on 21 Feb for the op.  It was initially planned for 14 Feb but his surgeon his on a training day so that was cancelled.
  • Welcome back freemers. Hope you manage to get out this week.

A 5 mile jog for me tonight... Will take a day off tomorrow... To recover from today/weekend!!
  • AGF - Day off work. I think that's what I need after 9 days back in following Christmas... we should have 2 day working weeks and 5 day weekends. Much better all round image

Mr S - Hope all went well at the Doctors. Erm, a more modest target next year, going to aim for 2 minutes less, which still means I have to improve my average pace by roughly 20sec/mile so is a decent target to aim for! That looks like the schedule of a man going for a sub 3:30 time at VLM... tough but rewarding.

5.5 mile tempo run lunchtime today @ 7:30/mile. Had intended to do an easy pace recovery run but was late getting out and needed to be back for my Spanish class!

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Welcome back Freemers

Spoons

18, 20, 13?? why

20 6-8 miles at MP,

13?? why

20, 8 to 10 miles at MP

26.2 off road race, 13.1 race, 20,

20 8 - 10 miles at MP,
    12 6 miles at MP,
    8 4 miles at MP,
    VLM

Took this morning off to rest after yesterdays race but ran at lunchtime and did 4 x 4 mins this evening
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

AGF & Jay,

Well done.

• Been to the doctors and everything is fine. He thinks it must have been muscular.

9 miles easy for me this evening. No tiredness from yesterdays race. Everything is hunky dory and looking forward to tomorrows session.

Gobi - thanks for that. The 13s are in there because that's what most of the schedules do. A couple of 20s and then a drop back week to recover. You obviously have other ideas?
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Mr Spoons,

Excellent news.

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭
    1 mile swim front crawl this morning and 6 miles recovery run tonight on the dreadmill.
    Jayc great running well done.
    Freemers welcome back nice long run.
    Mr Spoons good news from the Doc and nice running,
    HY4 that's good news about your dad.
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭

freemers- welcome back

Mr S- good newsimage

7m recovery tonight. Legs actually feel stronger than usual after yesterday's hammeringimage

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Spoons - cut back a little so maybe 18 miles if tired but 13 is so short it is not a long run. Normally I would get to 20 and pretty much stay there or go out to 22/24 miles. The week I run the half marathon in my buildup is the cut back.

For example I have a 50 km next weekend so rather than do another 20 I did 15 miles with 9 miles faster than current MP. Thought it was about time I did some distance speed work.
  • I may have found a 2nd hand wetsuit to buy cheap and a road bike I can borrow....
  • jason djason d ✭✭✭
    Talking of cutting back- this week is a recovery week for meimageimage
  • X post - thanks Gobi. I'll revise the schedule image