Just a little bit further - 2011

Hi Everyone

I've been running for 12 months and have really appreciated the beginners thread for Jan 2010. But by the end there were just a few of us left, so we've decided to begin a new thread for this year and welcome anyone else who would like to join us for friendly chat, support and encouragement with whatever your goals are in 2011.

As a little personal intro - I'm 35, mother of four small girls (aged 3-8) who frequently run with me. My prefered training distance is 5miles - mainly cos I can't manage to fit in longer runs.My aim for this year is to improve my 5k time, find enough short races to keep my girls happy, and try a short triahlon.I started running in order to accompany my eldest daughter and then fell in love it with myself! Now  I'm a complete adict image

Please join in this thread, we are a friendly bunch and would love to cheer you on.

Chilibean

Comments

• Don't know where you are but there are plenty of 5K/5 Mile runs in the North West coming up in the first half of 2011!

EDIT:  Forgot to mention that all can be found under the 'events' page of RW

• Hello
    I did my first race back in 2008, but didn't really start following a programme or running anything close to reasonable mileage until last January. So although I wasn't technically a beginner last year, I think I fall within 'novice' category now as I've had a year of running around 15-20 miles a week. I think, if it's ok, I'll join your thread too!

T
  • Only been running for a year this time around. Started with a 10k at sports relief in March, so started this time last year for that. Have been fairly addicted since entering events most weeks from 5k's to HM's. My aim is just not to come last, which so far I have achieved.
  • hi chilibean, im not a newbie but not a seasoned pro like some on threads ! ive been running for 2 years in april and share your woe in not fitting in long runs because of being a mumimage

my daughter wants to enter some runs this year too so hope to get her to some events with me. im doing a 15mile event in march which will be my longest yetimage

• Hi,

Not a complete begineer... I started at the end of April last year. I'm a 43 yr old mother of two teenagers... I started running to help me lose weight and generally get fitter. I'm currently training for a half marathon in March... after that I think I will primarily stick to 10k races..... but I have seen another half marathon that is tempting me in Palma ! 

Since I have started running my daughter has started running as well... so has my husband; although I still do most of my running on my own. 

My goal for this year is to get my 10k time closer to 50 mins than 60.... and just to complete the half marathon image

• Welcome everyone. Delighted to have you join this thread image. Sounds like we all have some goals for this year.

Thanks for your suggestions Connor. The problem is that under UK athletics rules children aren't allowed to race 5k. We do a lot of ParkRuns which she is allowed to do, but my 7yr old twins can't run that far yet. So I have to find 1.5k or 3k races. How old are your kids loulabell?

Been to Sweatshop this morning and bought my 8yr old some new asics in the sale so she is delighted. Saw some lovely running gear and am very proud of how I resisted the temptation.

No run today cos I did 5+miles yesterday and plan another 5 tomorrow. Need to get sorted though and get training on that.

Chilibean

• Did the Brutal 10 today, which nearly killed me! Was cold and wet image
  • Hello all

I am not a complete beginner either, but am returning to running after an absence of 15 months - so I feel like a beginner.  When I stopped running, I had a couple of 10ks under my belt and was training for a half-marathon, with my longest run at 9 miles.  

I am determined to make this year a healthier and fitter year than the last.  My goals are:

1)  to run the Reading HM in March - it's my first half, so just finishing the course will be an achievement for me

2) to improve my 10k time to under 60 mins (PB is 1:09). 

Last night I went out for a 3-mile trot.  I was very slow, but it felt marvellous to be running again.  My legs are a bit tired today, and I'm also starting to feel the Sunday night blues, ie it's back to work tomorrow after the Christmas break.  My plan tomorrow night is to run home from work (I live 3.5 miles away).  Unless being back to work is too depressing, in which case it might be a glass of wine to take the edge off.....

Happy new year to one and all!

Elly

• hi chilibean, my daughter is 7 so  have the same problem . there are quite a few runs around here which accomodate by doing the 1.5km. i got out this morning and did....wait for it.....8mile!! tada! hubs at home so i tootled around-bloomin freezing though!!
  • Hi all,

I think I probably fit the category; I've been running for almost two years, I haven't raced that much, a 10k and a couple of HM's. I've been running around the 25 - 30 miles per week recently but would like to work that up to a regular 40 and do a few more HM's this year.

I have two kids (8 and 10) and my husband works away a lot so I find it challenging to fit it all in at times.

Anyway, I'm not actually running right now as I had ski accident on Weds and have a separated shoulder joint. BUT I'm hoping only to be out for a couple of weeks, I have a HM on Feb 12th so I need to get going!
  • I am moving from irregular posts on the other thread and I promise to update more often!

Planning some HMs in March then a Marathon in April (Sussex) and Copenhagen in May before cycling takes over again.

Gary

• Welcome to Elly and CB69 - Ouch! Great to have you on board here.

Hi Gary, really pleased you've joined us. Still waiting for Corrah - might need to give her a nudge.

I missed a key word out of my last posting and that was 'bike'. Anyway I took out for a brief ride this morning and then plan to run later.

Had also decided that since Christmas is now over I should probably stop eating chocolate, cakes and full fat cheese, but I still have far too much in the house and have eaten 3 chocs already this morning! 

Chilibean

• Morning Chilibean, morning all,

I've done quite well today not eating pastry or chocolates or cheese, but then I'm not at home. I am missing it though.  A bowl of vegetable soup just isn't a suitable replacement for a mince pie.

I was planning to go out with my running club this evening, but MrANTB's Nana passed away yesterday and he's feeling very down, so I think I'll run with him, keep him company. A nice gentle 4miles won't do him any harm. 

Tx

• Hello everyone

Sorry for not being in touch sooner, but ended up heading away to the Isle of Jura for the new year, which was absolutely fantastic.  Got some hill walking in and lots of eating and drinking, so today was my first run of the new year and I managed a very slow 3 miles.

For those who don't know me I'll be 38 next month and am married with no kids (but 3 cats and 2 tropical fish tanks!).  I'm still well over weight, so have gone back to weightwatchers as I lost a load of weight last year before my wedding.

I started running off and on in 2009 but then really found I enjoyed it so moved up from 5k to 10k in 2010 and this year (in May) I have my first half marathon, which I'm both looking forward to and dreading at the same time.

I've made some lovely friends on the previous thread and I'm hoping we hear from some of the others who seem to have gone by the wayside a bit, but lovely to see Chillibean here and Gary Boyd and so many new folks image

C  xx

• HELLO all! busy day at work, everybody wanting flu jabs-i dont have any left so i cant , sorry peeps.Too late and getting dark by the time i got myself and little one home , so no mileage todayimage Mr LLB , snuck in a crafty 4/5 miler whilst i was on my way home before he left for night shiftimage

we too have ubiquitous chocolate-one tin unopened and staying that way. i do have a tendancy to eat about 8-10 biccies a day though-oops. must cut down to, er, 9image

nice to join some new names on this thread-am determined to get upto my 15miles

• Hi all, this will be my first post. So here goes. i started running last year for about 3 months, was generally quite fit anyway due to my job!!

I did a 10k in september and really enjoyed it but then got struck down with a heavy cold the end of october and went out for a hard run and found it really tough, so havent been out since.  i really miss running so am going out again soon, so was looking for some motivational advice and a training plan to ease me back into it. Any advice gratefully recieved!!   image

•  Hello Wazza!

The best way for me to get motivated is to enter an event and work towards it. Nothing too far a 5k and aim not to come last, not that it matters to be honest. The hardest bit is getting past the front door but when you do it's plain sailing. Just take it easy, there are training plans on this site, I just do what I feel comfortable with.

Good luck!!!!

• Hi everyone,I would like to introduce myself to the party!

I started running last spring, although I haven't run any races yet (I am very shy) I have timed myself over 5k twice and found thankfully that I was faster after a few months working at it... I aim to do our local park run once it gets warmer. I have chickened out once already.

I have only run twice in the last month due to flu (proper, not man). A brief attempt last week sent me back to bed the next day, so this time I am waiting until my HR is normal. This sucks.

I also plan to shed some fat this year, as we got some new scales for christmas that say I am Mrs Fatty McFat. Never been on a diet before, so for the moment I am just planning to choose healthier food and do lots of exercise.

Nice to meet you all!
  • Hi, I'd also like to join.  I've done a few 5k and 10k races but am also contemplating a beginners triathlon or duathlon, so hopefully will fit in! 

I am 39 in March and have been running since June last year when I did a Race for Life and got into running when I decided to do a Run 10k as well.

I live in Hampshire, am married with an 8 year old son.  My plans for this year include the Fleet Half Marathon, although as I am having twinges in my knee I might duck out of that one, but also various 10k and 5k races including the Ladies 10k in Glasgow, the Boutique Run in London and the Teignbridge Trotters Ladies 10k in Devon in September.

• Wow! this is going to be a busy thread image

Welcome Wazza, HB and Hellywobs. Great to have you join us.

Hellywobs - have you been lurking over on the Tri forum? We've started a new thread over there for beginners too so please join us. Loulabel I really think you should come out of the closet and sign up to that one too image

Corrah - welcome home. Sounds like a lovely trip away.

AllNewTB - sorry to hear that your hubby's Nana has died. image

Gavlar - I was reading back and see that you did the Brutal. There is a certain attraction to getting covered in mud, but being a girly girl and a bit of wuss I'm not sure I could cope with the cold!

Well I have a had great day. I bought a bike! imageimageimage (sorry getting a bit carried away with these faces) It''s beautiful and I love it already. A hybrid with gears so I am actually going to get up the hills.

Then I came home and checked my e-mail and discovered that my big girl as been awarded the Grovelands ParkRun monthly award of a new pair of trainers. Yes, from Sweatshop where we bought a pair for her yesterday. Lol! Well, we will get her the next size up and that will proably last her until next Januray sales.

Headed out for my run this eve and daughters No.1 & 2 wanted to come. No.1 is a hare, but No.2 is a tortoise but we had a lovely 20 mins out together. Then realised I didn't have enough time left for a 5miler, so decided to do a tempo 5k and set a new PB of 28:25! 

So I'm feeling as high as a kite but really need to go and put my girls to bed (school in the morning). Think I'd better have a bath or something to calm down.

Chilibean

• Hello everyone just thought I would join your thread as it seemed to suit who I am. I am 43 years old, have 2 children well not children any more, I started running last year then about 6 months into it I got an ankle injury, I had ran a 5k and also a 10k, I was devastated. I have not run since. I have binged and drunk and put on far to much weight and need some serious help to motivate me and encourage me, pretty please lol. When I ran before I enjoyed it but only when I had returned home image.
    My challenge for this year is to complete a half marathon. Hopefully.
  • Just back from a chilly 4 miler. There were loads of runners out there tonight, looked like a combination of complete newbies, folk coming back to it and those that looked like they were well into their marathon training. MrANTB and I just plodded and chatted, feeling very much part of the fraternity. It was hard though, didn't run much in December due to a combination of the weather and a nasty asthma flare-up, but I have clocked 9 miles so far this week, yay!

Thanks for your kind wishes Chilibean,

TX
  • Evening folks

CB - great news about big girl.  You must be so proud of her.

Sue - when I run I curse pretty much until I reach half distance, or to be more precise whenever the endorphins kick in.  Then I love every minute of it, but always the best bit is the shower at the end!

Helliwobs - That's how I got into this running malarkey.  Sounds like you are going to be very well travelled.  When's the Fleet HM ?

Helvetica Bold - you had me in fits of laughter with the Mrs Fatty McFat comment.  That's what my scales tell me too!

Wazza - best advice I can give is make sure you have a good pair of proper running shoes and just take it easy.  Go at your own pace.  The main aim is not to do too much too soon so you can avoid injuries.

AllNewTB - my thoughts are with your family.  Never easy when a loved one passes and I think it is especially hard at this time of year.

I've probably missed out loads of things so *waves to everyone else on forum*

Take care and happy running.

C xx

• Good evening all, would you mind if I joined you?

I'm a stop-starter so not completely new to running either but am starting up again after 6 months off running. Have run a couple of half marathons slowly, the last one back in 2009.

Am determined to run throughout the whole of 2011 so want to sign up for an autumn half marathon (seems reassuringly a long way off) to keep my motivation going.

Chilibean - very jalous of your bike purchase!

• Hi, I'd like to join in please!

I started doing sprint triathlons late last summer, so can run 5k happily. It does take me 30 mins after the swim and bike though. I really want to get up to running 10k regularly, and want to get my 5k speed closer to 20 mins if possible!

My biggest problem is childcare so i can get out and run!! And the fact that when i run on my own, i just don't try at all! I give up after a mile and walk!! When i run with others though, i find it easy enough and never think about giving up!

• Hi,does anyone mind if I join in too. I have been running for about 2 years now but messed about quite a lot and have only been really proper running for the last 6 mths.I am a member of a local club and do lots of races but Im not very fast and have only just started running solid (I was a run/walker). I have done a couple of halfs but for 2011,I really just want to improve my times and not be nearly last in every race.

• wow, we are getting a little gathering here! thats good!

i too would like to do a tri and yes chilibean i have popped over to the tri threads but as you have prob noticed they all seem to know what they are doingimagelol that reminds me, becky2128, what is 'sprint' tri? i know its prob very simple answer but i really am new to tri.

my line up for this year is quite packed, like many of you ladies its finding time amongst everything else! my first is hopefully essential 15 in march, ox5run in april, Thame cpm 10k in june, Horton classic 6 in july, Hook norton 6 in aug, Headington 10k in sept, cotswold classic 10mile in sept, woodstock 12 mile in sept, candleford 10k in oct , andy reading 10k in dec-phewimage......and maybe a Tri somewhere along the way-i know chilibean is with me on doing the Triimage

• im just boinging off to find the Tri thread chilliimage
  • A sprint tri is just a short distance tri. It can be used as a novice tri, or for some fast people it is a fast race. Its normally 750m swim, 20k bike, 5k run. If you cna find a pool based swim tri, the swim is normally only 400m.

I have at leat one proper race per month lined up for 2011, a combination of 10ks and triathlons, and betewen april and sept i will do a duathlon or bike TT every week. So..... really need to start running properly!!

I will warn you..... Triathlons are addictive!!