Just a little bit further - 2011

Comments

• Spartak thats such a lovely pic of you and your Son.

Hi all.

AF well done on the training.I have not done pyramids yet but I imagine that will come soon.

Thanks Angel yey finally getting there.Oh you little image you.Is Mr Hottie Italian leading you astray.

Well the easy workout was harder than anticipated on a rest day although I do have to say that even though it was circuits It was now where near as hard as the Boxing club. I did enjoy it and I think it would fit in with training nicely.

I wont run now for a couple of days but I may do some bike riding.

Chilli sounds like you are having a tough time of it.

• Chilli,i hope your boiler gets fixed soon.At least it chose the summer to go wrong.As to your foot i hope it settles down with some ice.If you let it settle you will probably be ok.PF is usually most apparent as a sharp pain when you first get up in the morning and take your first steps.Hopefully this is just a small strain.

AF that training sounds tough,but the times are very impressive.

On a downbeat note,running which has been a joy to me in the last couple of years,has suddenly become a point of friction at home.I casually mentioned that i was considering entering the Blenheim H/M and she said rather disparigingly ''Another race,don't you think you've done enough this year.''Bear in mind ''this year'' is not quite halfway  yet. I ran my first race,a 5 mile a year ago yesterday.Since then i have run 2 10k's, 1 marathon and 3 small RR10 club races.I go out running on average 3 times a week including club training and races.I have 2 more 10k's booked,1 in a weeks time and 1 in September,along with 3 more rounds of the RR10.And i'm thinking of the H/M.And that is considered excessive? I'm not exactly hitting pro mileages am i? Maybe it's jealously because we were both very overweight 2 years ago,and we were both heading for early graves.We have both worked hard and lost loads of weight,and improved our health.My wife took out gym membership and went 3 times a week.I went running.2 years on and i love my running more than ever.I couldn't live without it,and i love the incentive that races provide.Also i have made my parents very proud of me,gained respect from my sister who is the real sporting talent in the family,and raised a few hundred quid for charity along the way.And when i look in the mirror i finally feel ok about who i am and what i can achieve. My wife on the other hand,has found excuse after excuse not to go to the gym,it's now down to about 3 visits a month,and is starting to go back to the old unhealthy ways.I think she resents the fact that i am enjoying being fit,healthy and active and excercise is not a chore or  a cross to bear for me.Well if i have to give up all i have achieved and go back to being a fat unhealthy slob,just to keep my wife happy,then it aint going to happen.

Sorry to rant on,but i'm more than a tad upset.Running has really helped me in so many ways,physically and mentally and running races has given me a whole new lease of life.It hurts when i get attacked because of it.

Anyway tomorrows tune is David Bowie with 'Queen Bitch'. Biiter? Who moi? 

• DJ, I think sometimes your other half can find it a bit difficult to cope with the change.  Especially if it seems you have a whole new life that their not interested in and they'd rather stay in with a chinese.  I hope that she comes around.  Would she come for a run with you?

See now if I had me a sexy italian we could go running together and he could shout at me when I was being lazy and not pushing myself...

Ecky - he says I am leading HIM astray.  As if!  I am a little angel, obviously.

Hope the boiler gets sorted soon chili - ha, chili, appropriate (sorry if that seems really unfunny just now)

• Sorry i sounded so down and had a rant last night.I was very upset at things.I think my wife gets jealous because i can stick at things and she can't.I have always been encouraging of her weight loss efforts in the last 2 years.She doesn't like running so her running with me is a non starter.I think she resents the fact that i have made a lot of friends and get my name in the papers(all down to our great club press officer),and i'm being successful at something on my own little level.

Anyway i'm sorry about being on  a downer about things.

• MOOOOOOOORNIN.

D.J I suppose it's very difficult for people to understand the madness.I wonder too if she would maybe go for a little run with you. I think that friction is quite common. Im sure she will come round.

*looks shocked* fancy leading a Hottie Italian astray.......................Well Done Angel.......I am proud of you.lol

• Oops our post's passed.D.J dont be sorry.You are in a very difficult situation.There must be a way to sort it.

I wonder if maybe she did something she enjoyed maybe not the gym but a dance class or something that she will have more chance of sticking to.

• Morning all and we have sun for a second day WOW  image

AF - brilliant results for your pyramid training. Have read about that kind of training  but was unsure of how to do it. Great time and as Loula says I wannna do that time toooo.imageWas maybe thinking of joining a club but not sure if its for me or not.image

Angel - Sounds like your having fun with that hottie LOL Lucky you

Chilli - glad your foot is getting better and maybe a hot shower will be on the cards tonight image

Ecky enjoy your cycling after all your hard work.

DJ - sorry to hear that your having a bit of bother with your OH and I really hope it gets better for you soon. it's a shame she hasn't got another hobby she could do which she enjoys as the gym obviously isn't for her.What about suggesting classes at the gym that she has to go to or is there a friend she can go with. Maybe she is just feeling a bit down at the mo and you just caught her at a bad time. my  . I hope she comes round as its not right to change what you love and what has helped you for anyone and not to mention the money you have raised for charity.Other suggestions - would she do a race for life event for charity as these are not generally that competitive but fun. Anyway take care DJ and hope today is better for you.

Me - no running as I still seem to have that energy slump due to it being a verrrry bad time of the month for me (the ladies may understand more than you lovely blokes) Have a day off tomorrow so hoping to get out for my planned longish run then after a good nights sleep. Have been awake since 2am on and off. Lets hope I make it through the working day. LOL

Have a good one folks.

• DJ - As I was writing war and peace I din't see your last post about your wife not liking running. Hope she can find something she likes. What about a zumba class?????

• Morning Franny.I know exactly what you mean. I tend to feel yucky then as I dont tend to eat properly as my body craves junk. I hope you get out for your long run tomorrow. Im guna try a run on Fri. I have a race on Tues Night so I dont want to do too much.Its our Midsummer 10 and last year it was sooooo hot. I just hope its guna be cooler this time as Im not a hot weather runner.

• Morning all,

DJ- My wife sometimes gets annoyed with all my running & says I am obsessed by it. That really annoys me. Like you we both losta  lot of weight through exercise and unfortunately she isn't that well at the moment (women's problems) & therefore struggles to do enough exercise. She enjoyed using the Wif fit & EA Active. She won't let me do a marathon because she feels it will mean I un more & more. That does annoy me although I am not sure that I want to do a marathon. She probably is a bit jealous of what I have achieved and the fact that I have made a lot of new friends from running!! It's difficult I know where you are coming from.

Franny- I hope you have the energy to run soon. pyramids are hard work & I haven't mastered it yet.

Hi Ecky,Chilli,Angel,Spartak,LLB,Jude etc 

• Hello all,

i'm new here, i've been reading your thread and I thought it was time to say hello.    I'd been running 5Ks on a treadmill at the gym about 3 times a week for about 8 months and then about 3 months ago something changed (probably the weather) and I decided that running outside wasn't so scary afterall.

Since then i've been training for my first 10k race in Leeds, which is this Sunday!  I've also entered the Abbey Dash in November and the Eccup 10 mile race in July.  I'm hoping to finish in just over 50 minutes.

I can officially say that there is nothing that gives me a greater feeling of satsfaction than beating a personal best or going further than i've gone before. 

Having read your thread, it's given me the confidence to think that I can train to do a half marathon, or anything I want!

Are the majority of you members of running clubs?  I've been thinking about maybe joining one, but  I still feel too inexperienced!  What are the benefits?

thanks

• Welcome Josie! Great to have you join us. We are a very friendly bunch on here, but you can only participate if you tell us your favourite cake. image Cos along with running we enjoy eating nice stuff! I don't belong to a club although if I have time next wednesday evening I might wander along to my nearest and say hello. I met some lovely ladies at a race a few weeks ago and they were most welcoming.

My foot is still a bit of a concern. I have been icing it. And did rolled it on a ball yesterday. Only cycled and swam yesterday but am hoping to get out to do a run again this evening. Didn't sleep well again last night. Have a rather busy month with so much to fit in and so much prep to do. Have been working until nearly midnight most nights and think I'm too wound up to sleep well when I do get to bed. Franny - maybe we can nudge each other if we nod off this afternoon.

Plumbers think they will be finished this afternoon and that will be very nice. 

DJ - sounds difficult and really feel for you. I honestly don't think someone who hasn't fallen in love with a sport can every understand how much is becomes part of us. And hey, you're allowed to rant on here. image Very safe place and amoungst friends.

Angel - so are you beautifully tanned? We're looking forward to seeing you in September and finding out a few more details about the hotties and cakes and food of the USA

Mango cheesecake anyone? That's on the menu today. And some blueberry scones since they are in season too.

• HI Josie,

A very big welcome to you.  Fairly new here myself so ca safely say everyone is really friendly and give lots of good advice and inspiration.Well done for you gettting off the treadmill and outdoors. I still do a mixture of both mainly using the treadmill for interval/speed training and in the very bad weather.

Good luck with your race on Sunday - let us know how you get on. We will cheer you on virtually speaking.

I am not in a running club but was considering it but like you not sure.

Nice to meet you image

• Chili- glad the plumber's coming to get you some hot water back, hope the foot is sorted soon. I'm starting to get a bit tanned now, not much opportunity to get outside tho, which is part of the reason I've started going out running after work in the heat.
    I forgot to tell you all about some cake yesterday!! They bring lunch here every day and yesterday there were slices of butter, lemon and chocolate cake. I resisted when I went and got my lunch, but the man opposite me had some that looked so good I just had to go and get a slice of the chocolate. And it was good, so moist and delicious.
    Welcome Josie.
  • Angel-- Soooooooooooooo jealous about you getting a tan.image That chocoalate cake sounds veeeeeery delicious.Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I could do with some of that now.

• L2RAL2RA ✭✭✭

Afternoon everyone and welcome Josie

Chili - hope your foot is better soon

DJ - sorry to hear your OH does not share your love of running.  It must be hard to appreciate how addictive it is if you have no interest in it.  I think I bore my friends regularly.  Hopefully she will find the sport/hobby that suits her and then it won't bother her when you go for a run.

Josie racing in Leeds does that make you a fellow Northerner? I am a member of a running club and it does help to keep you motivated to actually go out and run.  We do a long run on a Monday night and efforts on a Wednesday which is supposed to improve speed.  According to my coach I have improved loads although I'm not convinced.  For me the main benefits is the social aspect of it particularly as I moved here for a job so didn't know anyone and the fact that I feel committed to going out for a run.  So much harder to motivate yourself on your own or convince yourself it is okay to leave work at a reasonable hour when there is so much to be done.  My job is very stressful but running in the evening helps reduce this.  Our club is for all abilities and is very friendly.  There are obviously some very fast runners in the group but they stop to regroup at certain points.    I was very nervous when I joined but would recommend it to anyone.  Personally I only compete against myself and like you am really pleased when I get a PB.  Think I am probably the slowest on here having recently completed my first 10k in 1:12:32 but to be honest I was just delighted to get round without stopping!  Like you I am racing this weekend another 10K so hoping to beat my PB or at least get a  time near it.  My aim is to eventually get a sub 60 but I think that will be a long way off yet.

Have a good day guys image

• L2RAL2RA ✭✭✭

Angel that choclate cake sounds delish no wonder you could not resist very good of you to even try!

Chili forgot to ask - are the scones still warm?  If so can you send 1 my way please? image

• Chilli- Waaaaakeeeee Wakeeeeeee image

• And yeah please send a blueberry scone my way. Yum Yum Might keep me awake image
  • Afternoon.

Hi Josie and welcome. We are sooooooo friendly hereimage. sounds like you are doing really well. Im oop North this weekend going to Filey. I'm sure you will do really well on your 10k.

As for joining a club  dont be scared as they all have different abiities and most clubs let you have a couple of weeks trial before you join up.If you have a couple of clubs near you then try them all out to see where you feel most comfortable. I would really reccomend it. I have been a club member for nearly 2 years now and I love it.I made some brilliant new friends and we really support each other and spur each other on.

Angel........not being able to resist chocolate cake..............................................I am soooooo proud of you.No -one should EVER say no to cakie.

*takes a piece of Mango Cheesecake* Mmmm Thanks Chilli. I do hope you get your foot sorted out.

Going back to the OH struggling with our running.I know my friend at work doesnt run but her Hubby does.She goes mad about him and tells me.I find it so hard as I can see it from both sides yet I understand the passion for running. It is my life now.

• Hi Rachel. Sorry didnt mean to miss you out.

• Welcome to Josie good to have someone else on board.

Franny & Josie- It is well worth joing a club as you get to run differnet routes, meet different people of all abilities as well as getting discounts of some races!!! I joined min in January and have found that I am now a more confident runner as well as shaving a bit of my times.

RL- Good luck in your 10k race at the weekedn I am sure your times will get better & you will get below 60 minutes. 

Chilli- Hope the plumbers have gone & youc an have a nice warm bath....or indeed a cold one to help your injury!!! 

Talking of clubs my club does evening runs from different local pubs and I have one of these tonight so should do about 5 miles later.

Will also try & get out tomorrow for a 6-7 mile run in preperation  for Sundays 10k race.     

• loulabellloulabell ✭✭✭

good afternoon everyone....bit of a hectic day hence my late clocking in....RL, we wil be routing for you on your 10k you wil be absoloutly fineimage..

chili, hows your foot? dyu know whats wrong exactly?...maybe physio can sort it?

AF, hows your prep for sunday, what time have you in mind?44min?imagei reckon so-is it flat route?

im picking mr llb up from work at 7pm, so if it doesnt rain im going to run back home...that'll get a few miles in, was tempted to go again yesterday but seeing as i di 13 then 6 , i thought id better calm down...image....

..dj8, sorry to hear that, it can become tense , especially if one partner is doing really well and the other loses motivation- mr llb was running before i started and i think he was a tad put out when i started especially as im so enthusiastic about everything!!...he actually then said he wasnt going to do it anymore!! so i think a bit of jealousy crept in there perhaps..also a bit of friction when i mentioned HMs , he really didnt think i was capable so me being me it was like  red rag to a bull....lol.....i dont think your race entries have been excessive at all...does mrs dj8 attend any events with you? maybe she would be more enthused if she felt part of it? just   a suggestion, and please feel free to tell me to mind my own beeswax-lol.....hows CRAC towers cupboards looking these days? do we need to bake?

• Well we've had a heart to heart at home and things are a lot better now.Sorry i got a bit down.I love my running so much and it hurt to get such negativity about something that has helped me to get control of my life.She does come to weekend races with me,but not the RR10's but they are not really spectator friendly events anyway.

Hi Josie,welcome to the group.It's fun and you'll fit right in.

RL hope you are getting ready for this weekend.I think you'll be getting a PB.

Events of the last 24 hours have prevented me running tonight.I'll go to the club track session tomorrow night then i will aim for 10 miles at the weekend.Actually the break may do me good as i've been a bit tired and heavy legged recently.

• Hi all just got caught up. Sorry to hear about your problem DJ and even more sorry that I really can't give you advice. As long as you can talk things over you will overcome your problems. Peronally I get up and go for a run in the morning while my wife stays in bed. This seems to work well.

Hi Josie and welcome to the thread. Got to dash again sorry bit busy. 

• L2RAL2RA ✭✭✭

Hi everyone

Just got back from my efforts session with the club which I think will be my last run before Sunday tho I have a few more days of cycling to work.  Don't want to tire my legs too much.  Thanks for all the support guys I will do my best and will provide a full race report Sunday.

Anyone else racing this weekend?

DJ8 glad to hear you have sorted things at home it must be tough being torn between a sport you love and the family you love.

Chili I hope your absence on here tonight means you are soaking in a nice hot bath somewhere image

• Evening everyone

Hi Rachel - actually my absence on here has been cos I had a meeting to attend. Well, actually it was in my home (cause we're a manse so lots of meetings take place here). I made mango museli pots for pudding cos everyone seemed to be on a diet and they only come to eat my food. Amazing how that bribes works for both teens and adults!

But I have had a hot shower.image The plumbers left at 5.30 and my hubby was out at a different meeting at 6.30 so it's all been a bit hectic to fit everything in and clean etc, etc.

Thanks for the wake up call Franny. I can barely keep my eyes open and am about to give up for the night and head to bed.

Went for a run this afternoon. First with my daughter and then a few miles alone. It didn't make my foot any worse, but I can feel that something isn't right. I am icing it (sitting with one now) but although the pack is on the sole of my foot it makes my calf muscle ache and get very tight. Loula you may be right and I shall have to go visit my hunky physio. image

Am rather anxious about tomorrow. Am going to learn how to drive a minibus so I can take the youth group away in two weeks. Although I have driven a 7 1/2 tonne truck in the past, so I shouldn't be as worried as I am. But you do much dafter things when you are 19 than when you are a parent yourself!

• Morning all,

Chilli- Enjoy the minibus driving. Good to heat yesterdays run didn't cause further foot problems.

LLB- I am not going to go for a time on Sunday just do my best & aim for the top 25%. I think as it is X Country anything in the region of 47 minutes will be ok. But, you never know.....I feel I am running fairly well & have picked up a bit of speed. My next race after Sundays is on 10/7 & may have a potential of a PB. We will see.  Did a 6.5 mile club run last night & will try and do a few miles tonight and tomorrow. Want to try and get near to 30 miles this week. 13.1 so far.  

DJ- Pleased to hear things have calmed down in the DJ household. We all know where you are coming from. Out if interest how much weight did you lose? 

RL- Well done on your club work last night. Good luck in your race on Sunday. I think we have at least 3 raceres this week. You, Josie are new member and myself.

Spartak- We need some new vests!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bye for now.. 

• Good morning everyone.

Another sunny one todayimage And I've a day off. Yipee

RL - Enjoy your well earnerd rest before your race on Sunday. Good luck

DJ -Good to know things are a bit better.Enjoy your club night tonight.

AF - I am sure you will do very well in your race on Sunday.Your training times are impressive and you've been puttin in the work so you deserve it.

Chilli - What a hectic life you have. Good luck with the minibus driving today. Any cake left??

Well I managed to get out for my run this morning even though I wasn't feeling the best. Pleased to say that i managed my longest run since doing the marathon last month - 13.82 miles in 2hrs 12.56.Hada bit of bother in the middle though - a spaniel decided to get inbetween my legs whilst I was running and nearly tripped me up. Luckily i amanaged to keep my balance.image

Hello to Ecky, LLB, Josie, Jude Angel and anyone I've missed.

Have a good day all

• Morning AF

WOW Franny thats impressive.WELL DONE. Even more brilliant with you not being your best.

No running for me today.I have managed to catch up on a bit of housework though as have the morning off.

Hi everyone else.

Chilli enjoy your driving Im sure you will be fine.