Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Jevans!!!!! Where have you been? I've been worried about you. Is everything okay?

Chris - that sounds like a killer of session - congratulations image

ST - Yes, I saw that too. Sounds good fun doesn't it? Did vaguely consider it, but the thought of running an off-road marathon in such a fantastic place is just too good an opporunity to miss. Was going to wait until 2012 but... well... we do these stupid things don't we??!!!??

Gav -sounds a busy month. image

Today I headed out and decided I'd see what my legs felt like doing. As I began running my calfs began to scream a little so I decided a 5k steady was probably all that was wise. Tomorrow being Tuesday is my swim day. Hopefully the pool staff will have worked out the lane divides and I'll fit in my 50 lengths.

• JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

Have had a serious bout of the CBAs, have had a week off work and haven't even make it to the gym (did one bike ride and one short run). I'm only 16 weeks away from HIM. I hope that's Shepherd's Pie in my pants.....image

I need a kick up the backside, but even the delivery of new trainers didn't get me out the door last week.

Instead I was lazy, avoided the motivational forum and watched Dexter series 1 & 2 (does anyone watch it? It's AMAZING!). I have redeemed myself a little bit over the last few days with some serious tidying and sorting, though that all went to pot when I snipped through a wire that was messing the place up. Turns out it was the cable to link the telephone to the sky box (why do we even need that?!). So in the doghouse a bit, as well as feeling like a lazy lump.

The plus side is that as part of my clearing up I discovered my wall planner from 2004 which got me into this running malarky in the first place. Granted, it isn't designed to get me to HIM in 16 weeks, but hopefully it will give me something to aspire to. Lots of training, lots of miles and lots of progress to live up to.

Best go check on my training plan. Back to work tomorrow. Routine will re-establish. I hope.

Chili - well done on the duathlon. Was thinking about you and came on mainly to check how it went!

• 16 weeks to HIM? Yikes!

Better start up with that training again. Consider last week a dropback week, and go for it starting this week.

It's 11 weeks till my sprint. Last week wasn't a wash out - I did circuits and some running, cycling and swimming, but not a lot of any of them, so can't really claim it as any sort of focus week.

I feel like cycling so I think I'm going to make this a cycling focus week. No circuits this week so maybe I can fit in an extra session of something tri-ish.

What I think I need to do at some point is hunt out some nice hills to cycle up. I do tend to just go out and pootle around for a few hours, which is good for miles in my legs, but maybe not challenging enough.

My starting fitness was at quite a low ebb, so that probably wasn't a bad thing, but I need to step it up if I want to improve my speed.

• morning all.. back from ireland.. just read your report ST>. sorry you didn't have more fun out there

well I have some lovely blisters on my feet to show for my sunday efforts.. got a pb but it just felt like the hardest slog... finished in 1 hr 28 mins but really tough going for some reason.. need to get out on the bike today but dreading it as body is aching!!! 

• What distance did you do Bootsie?
  • Hey JEvaNs - how about a different routine to kick start your training - swim/run brick? Trail run? Not always practical I know!
  • This week training is cancelled my cold is getting worseimage
  • Poor thing. Possibly a half mara at the weekend wasn't the best thing for your cold. You probably need rest and recuperation.

I had to cancel my planned ride today - developed a migraine. I did manage to get out for a short lethargic walk in the sunshine after it had cleared up, but couldn't have coped with anything more strenuous.

• Yersinia thanks image and no I don't think my half has done me any favours lol but it's done now and I'll get rid of this soon and can start preparing for my sprint at end of the month. I was a bit disappointed that I didn't get under 2hrs but didn't realise how ill I was, so just glad I got a PB image it was a horrible feeling on the last lap knowing I had nothing left and was just running on complete empty. Good job I had loads of medicine in me and I had fuelled up properly before and during race.
  • Tuesday night club run - a tempo for me. I pressed lap instead of start, so missed the first .15 miles!

6.55 miles in 53:04. 8:04 min/mi, with 4 of the miles under 8min/mi. Happy Daysimage.

Nice easy run Thursday, and a light spin Friday, maybe Saturday, then D-day Sunday!

• 10 miles chris.. i think just tired after brighton half.. and maybe need a bit of a break from training.. feet are a bit sore..

went out on th ebike tonight.. did 8 miles of hills which is good for me.. sticking to getting out at least once a week! 

headin goff skiing on sat so will get a bit of a break then image 

• Good time! I should have done some hill reps on the bike at some point, but life has often got in the way.

Enjoy the skiing.

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

ST - take good care of yourself, plenty of hot lemon drinks with honey in.

I have had a good 3 days, Sunday a pleasant 5.2 miles in just over the hour, Monday did 1 hour on the bike in garage as wrist not up to that yet, then today I went swimming in the morning before work and now just come back from my pilates class. OMG my abs are aching already, the teacher really works us hard, although I do have to take it easy and not do some of the exercises involving arms.

Hope to get out for a run with the club at the track tomorrow evening if I get home from work on time.

• ST are you not well??

well done steady.. I need to do some pilates but can't find my dvd! 

• Bootsie...............Well done on your run, now go soak your feetimage

ST.........................Go dope yourself up and take it easyimage

CJ..........................You seem to be making good progressimage

Chris ....................Sounds like a good workoutimage

Gav.......................Iv'e finally got round to entering Ribby Hall Tri,image so will see you and OC there hopefully. So I better get my arse in gear and do some trainingimage

• JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

Hey gang - thanks for the motivational "Yikes!" Yersinia! It's taken a couple of days to sink in, but I responded with a run today - which was awful - and I'm going for a swim later. Both efforts will be rather lame compared to what I would like (I am overdue many long runs, but only managed 4 today), but I just need to get a routine back.

I like the idea of mixing it up GG. I'm hoping to add in Tri club training and 50m pool swimming. I definitely need more brick work, and think I will finally boot myself into the spin class - run - spin class - run session I keep promising. I need to make sure I dedicate particular times to key sessions so at the very least they happen.

I have realised that I get very grumpy when I don't exercise though, so that's some motivation at least. Plus my new trainers. Plus the holiday we're planning. Plus new job excitement. Lots of reasons to get up and go!

• yay JEvaNs.. thats the spirit!

I get very cross too if i dont train.  DIdn't feel like it but went out and did 30 mins at lunchtime with ladies from work.. felt good to get the legs moving again

going home to chill out tonight with no training because very tired

• http://www.sallyevansphotogalleries.co.uk/

On there is three pics of me just finishing race not a happy site lol race number 144 image
  • Still nothing for me today I'm itching to get out but wouldn't make it down the street lol doesn't help getting up at 1am to go work either image
  • You're managing something like a smile in those, ST - or is it a grimace?image

I've done nothing today either. Feeling post-migrainey. It was a toss-up whether to go out or not - I'm not feeling dreadful but pretty tired and clumsy, and didn't want to do anything strenuous, or fancy the cold in my face. I might pop to the shop just to stretch my legs a bit, but I think that's my lot.

• Not sure myself Yersinia image
  • JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

I'm going to have a little swim and see how I feel. The cold weather at lunch time seems to have hurt my head a bit, but I think I could do some lengths with a pull buoy float. And I'm sure I could spend a bit of time in the spa and sauna too, without too much trouble.... image

I'll be happy with half a mile, but lets hope I get 50 lengths done.

• Chili - did you have a strategy for your race? A set speed for the runs and the HR or similar limit for the bike, or did you just get on with it?
  • Evening everyone

Jevans - so good to have you back with us. Enjoy your swim and spa!

Bootsie - well done with your race on Saturday.

Yersinia and ST - sounds rough image hope you are feeling better soon. ST - I think it is amazing that you did so well on Saturday. The day I came down with a cold at the beginning of Feb my legs stopped completely. I was actually quite shocked at how awful I felt with just a cold!

Did 5 miles this evening. Unfortunately the pilot light on our boiler went out and we have no hot water, so am sitting here sulking until it warms up enough for a shower cos I'm a wimp and can't cope with cold water.

• Hi Gang

Speedy recovery to all in the snot club and anyone else who's under the weatherimage

Did a brick session this morning bike-swim-bike-run.............4m-800mts-4m-3.5m.... my ride to the gym seemed to be against the wind all the way, not too bad on the way back......... Felt a bit leggy on the run but got quicker the further I ranimage feeling good now..........managed my 400mts FC in 10.08 mins........my place in The Ribby Hall Sprint  has been confirmed today so Iv'e got the motivation to get cracking on the training frontimage

• JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    Just a quickie before my Horlicks...

Swim was a bit rubbish. I did 400m warm up (still nicely under 9 minutes), then a 200m set before a rest, but when resting my head suddenly started being in a lot of pain. It was a kind of pressure that I sometimes get if I'm a bit dehydrated, but I wasn't dehydrated and the pain was really pad. I had to get out the pool, I had a bit of water and wasn't sure what to do with myself. I went in the spa, and tried to relax but the pain was awful for a while. I've never had a migraine, so I wondered if it was one, which made me worry since they last a while.

Eventually it seemed to subside and while still mildly throbbing it was bearable. I did a very relaxing final 400m and called it a day. So 1k done. When I was swimming, it felt good though. I was trying to concentrate on my glide, and also on not moving my head too much out of the water when breathing. I was doing some lengths on 5-6 stroke breathing (very chilled!).

So not sure what to do about my head. Maybe just try a run in the gym tomorrow, rather than go outside. Best get some rest now though.
  • SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Time to report on a track session with the club, my first for over 3 months.

800m w/up
    3 x 1000m in 6:30, 6;35 and 6:32,
    2 x 600m in 4:04 and 4:40
    last effort 1000m in 6:44 and a 5 min cool down.
    The coach had planned 6 x1000m but as my first time for ages just did what I could.

I have checked back and in Oct last year I was doing 1000m reps in 7:12 to 7:30 range so all this cross training is obviously doing me some good.

Very tired imageand have an early start tomorrow.

• Good result CJ. I'm hoping our club will do some intervals in the summer.
  • Glad to see I am not the only mom trying to work out alone and figure out how to do a triathlon.  I run 10k 3 or 4 days a week and 2k swim once a week.  I just bought a road bike and have been on it three times.  I have no idea if I am fast enough to not look like a fool. I run, swim and bike alone so I can't compair myself to anyone.   I signed up for two sprint triathlons so I guess I will see what happens.  I am a bit afraid of swimming in a canal.  Have a dark water phobia.