Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options

Welcome Kacie.

If you already do that much, you certainly won't look a fool. Do as much as you can on the bike - it amounts to about half of your total race time, so it's worth the effort to improve.

I saw your OW thread - I found the crowded start in Open Water a problem, but in a race, there will be canoe marshalls all the way  round, so there's someone to help you if you get in trouble, which might help you rationalise the fears away a bit. But the more OW and the more wetsuit swimming you can do before the event, the better.

• Options

howdy everyone

did a 4km swim this morning before work.. and actually felt rubbish forthe first mile and a  abit but the last half a mile was prob my easiest! almost at the 5km mark now so should be ok for the swimathon!! 

• Options
    4km swim before work! That's impressive, Bootsie.
  • Options
    why thank you!! whats no so impressive is how little focus i have now!
  • Options
    What is a good time for 45 year old female recreational "athlete" ?   I concider myself a strong swimmer and can (in a pool) swim 1000m in 18 minutes.  I run 10k in the woods on a variable terrain of sand, mud, hills, and my dog in 66 minutes. But when I am done the muscles in my rear feel like they are on fire!  I just got my bike this week and I rode 20k with an average speed of 21 kilometers per hour. I have no idea if that is good.  I wonder if I should bring a flashlight to my first triathlon in case everyone has gone home and turned off all the lights when I finally cross the finish line. 
  • Options

swimming you are much faster than me.. i do about 800m in that time.. 10 sounds a standard time.. bike is around the same as me.. you will never be the last one home!

what are you training for

• Options
    Kacie make sure you batteries are full before the race image

Sorry welcome to Chilli's thread image your swim times are great and your run could do with a bit more shaving off what distance is your Tri run? Plus your bike needs a bit more attention to but if your like me and just entering to finish and not to win then all is good you defiantly have enough to get you through imageimage what is your race and distances and when is it Kacie? Have you done any Brick sessions yet?

Bootsie you must have an easy job to be doing all that swimming before work imageimage Well done though great effort image

CJ nice session the other night was it just you and the coach or others there to push your self against?

Chris have you got a plan for your Duathlon? I always start with one before my race most of the time I'm spot on but do set myself realistic targets.

My cold nearly gone today so gonna go out for a steady run 5k
  • Options
    How come all you girls are such strong swimmers???
  • Options
    Don't forget to put your links up for your race photos to, I want to see that I'm not the only one pulling faces imageimageimage
  • Options

ST.. physically easy but mentally demanding!

• Options
    Good answer Bootsie image
  • Options

Female times for last year's Crystal Palace Tri (pool-based 750m swim, 20km bike, 5km run):

Median: 17:13, 48:02, 25:05

90th percentile (eg 90 percent of competitors will beat you, but you'll be ahead of 10%, so no fear of coming last - the back 10% tend to be drawn out a long way):

22:02, 1:01:00, 31:01

Here are the corresponding figures for 2008 London Sprint tri (Open Water 750m swim, 21km bike, 5.2km run) - this is a much larger mass participation event, and the weather conditions were quite tricky:

Median: 19:23, 49:19,  28:42

90th percentile: 25:41, 59:19, 35:08

These results are for women of all ages.

• Options
    well I was hoping to do better than the last 10% but I think thats where I will be sitting firmly!
  • Options

Ok, I don't feel too bad.  I just started running last summer. When I started I couldn't run for 2 minutes!  image I just hit the 5k mark around Christmas and ran 10k for the first time a couple of weeks ago. My time is bound to get better. I have only been on my bike three times.  The last time I owned a racing bike the gears were somewhere down near my knees on the frame.  I am just getting use to shifting and pulling my feet out of the clips when ever I think I might need to stop so I don't tip over at a stop light.  

I am only registered for two sprint triatholns, one in May 8th Geel Belgium 500M/26.6K/6.6K and one for women only on June 26th in Utrecht Holland 500M/20K/5K .  My times are well within the median for the London Sprint.  I wanted to sign up for a bigger one 1500M/40K/10k for July, but I am worried it might be too much.  

I am not expecting to win.  I want to go out and have some fun and challenge myself.  I just hate the thought of coming in last or even WORSE, is if an official has to stop me and tell me to leave the race cause I'm too slow!   image

• Options

My bike still has the gears on the downtube near my knees,(she's an old lady) but it's never let me down yet image

There is always someone slower than you, so don't worry too much about it image

Oh by the way Gang.............................it's my birthday today!!!!!!......imageimageimageimage

• Options

Bootsie - From times you've mentioned, I'm sure your running and swimming are both near the middle of the pack.

From what you say, it sounds like you're not so confident on the bike, but you must have enough fitness to be OK there too with a bit of practice, what with race adrenalin and all. You'll be nowhere near the last 10%

• Options
    Happy 21st Razor image
  • Options
    imageimageimageHappy Birthday Razor!imageimageimage
  • Options

happy birthday razor!

my run off the bike isn't great.. need to get a lot more time cycling too! 

• Options

Happy Birthday and as we say here in Flanders.... Gelukkig verjaardag.  image

• Options
    I was going to say that Kacie imageimage
  • Options

Sounds good to me and thanks  everyoneimage

ST.......... don't know weather I'm thick or what but could'nt get your pics upimage

Bootsie.................My run off the bike felt crap but the further I ran the quicker I got but it felt dead slow. but my time was similar  to my other runs, weird aint itimage

• Options

I had the same Razor.. very wierd.. in my first tri i refused to look at my watch because it felt so slow and yet i finished in an ok time !

will try and get out on the bike tomorrow and then i am off skiing for a week! not sure if i will be able to train over there 

• Options
    If you did ok in your first tri, you probably don't need to worry unduly Bootsie. I think it sometimes just feels weird running off the bike. I don't get jelly legs, but I do get something a bit similar to when you walk after ice skating - a sort of disconnected to the ground feeling.
  • Options

Have a great time, I won't say break a leg cos I'm a jinx image

Would have gone out on the bike this morning but blowing a gale and it's blustery with rain so I will get out in the morning, I was down to 8mph against the wind yesterday , thought I was going backwards lol image

I dont tend to look at my watch when running,  I use my i-phone gps app which gives me mile markers with my pace and every 15mins it gives me my pace so I hear when I am slowing or picking the pace up.

• Options
    www.sallyevansphotogalleries.co.uk Razor you have to type in by hand I think then my race number was 144. Still waiting for others who raced for there face pulling pics lol
  • Options
    ST..........I found them....................God I wish I hadn't seen them nowimage lol.
  • Options

MHR Razor!

How many speeds is your bike Razor?

I have a set of 7 speed STI shifters to, well, shift! Anyone else interested, or I'll put them on ebay/bikeradar (been saying this for months...)