Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• just signed up for Dambuster - hope there will be some normal people there!

• Wow I get to meet forum-ites, yay hope I don't get star struck.

My work colleagues will have total confirmation of just how completely binkers I really am image

MC still no pack for me either.

• Got mine today image that means I have to run it now lol image 1280 number
  • ST......You can't back out now mate,image. you'll be ok just enjoy the day and suffer afterwardsimage
  • I got mine too - 1279 numberimage

only, not sure I willbe running - just tried a little run but had to hobble most of the way back - running was very painfulimage, still, a week to go, got the ice on my leg now

• Whoops, wore high-ish heels to work yesterday, big mistake, legs and lower back not happy.image Will have to go into boots, not a big deal now the cold weather is with us, but no training last night or tonight. I have stretched loads and will do some exercise over the weekend as the pain is easing.image

• Good swim this morning, did a 400m set timed for Winterswim online challenge and got a 9.41. Suprised at my own speed. This time last year I was at 10.55 and back in 2010 it was 13.28 but that year I only did 2 rounds of the challenge before I broke my arm. Amazed how much regular swimming can do and getting a bit of coaching helps.

Do not forget the clocks go back an hour tonight.

• well done steady

• Just updated on the Flatman thread. Zombie run was cold but great fun. Didn't spot cake though. Got my race pack and all set for Rutland.
  • A steady 7 mile run this morning at 10.02 m/mi pace well in Z2 and felt ok but tough in places.
  • Really lol so your 1278 MC 1279 and I'm 1280. How spooky image
  • that's weird, maybe we are the only 3 that actually signed up for itimage

anyway, went to the gym and after 20 mins on the treadmill my knee was hurting so I had to stop, so I think I have to be realistic and recognise that I will not be able to run next Sunday. image

however, we can't get a refund on the hotel so I will be there and come to the start to see you off. It will be great to meet you although I am gutted I am not going to be able to run. There is just no point in damaging myself even more and having to have a long period of no training.

cycling doesn't seem to hurt, so I can spend my early mornings on the turbo now starting to get ready for the outlaw halfimage at least it is dry and not freezing on the turbo

• Really sorry to hear that NC but as you say it's not worth injuring yourself for. Hope to see you and ST at the start. Bike fit to get through on Thursday first.
  • I'll wear my brand new pirate buff so you recognise me

• That's a real bummer, MC, but you're doing absolutely the right thing -
  • Maths hope your ok so you can beat ST. image

Alibear sorry didn't meet up Saturday heard you where the wave that started at 12? That was the one after us. Did you enjoy yourself? Had a brilliant time but after I did a old war wound in a sensitive area on the climbing wall so might be hobbling for a bit. image

• Aw Maths that's truly pants. At least you know what it is and can sort it... Sure ST is grateful you're not there to kick his arse. Good luck to all others running.
    Cake - hope you're 'sensitive' injury not too bad!
    I start my rehab programme this week starting with gym session today. Very excited as by January should be back truly hardcore... Well, something like that. Woop Woop.
    Oo congrats Chili on your fab run. Have a top week everyone!

• image Tis just groan strain. Had it before just need to take it easy for a few days. Not bad just painful.

• Damn walls and pesky groins, could have been worse with zombies around! 

• Almost was another one of the team ran into a low lieing wooden wall. image 

The zombie's where cool and if they do the same race next year well worth a entry.

• Oo, sounds unpleasant. Not the usually sporting incident. Is there any news about wild boar? Website is down.

• MC I'm sure even with your injury you would kick my assimage

Why is it when a race is coming up you start feeling all your previous war wounds/sporting injuries coming out??? Right knee clicking? Left ankle swollen? Groin hurting? Right shoulder sore? Back aching? Or is it just me that gets that? All fine I'm sure just weird how all comes out before race? Maybe it's my body saying "you Pratt you should of trained more? " or words to that effectimage

Right looking ahead that's whey ahead to outlaw? I'm thinking sell expensive bike (Planet x) and use cheap bike (Raleigh 100) what do you guys think? TT or Road bike? Cat you used Planet x bike what are your thoughts? I'm thinking will need to do some sportives next year and can't use TT bike for that so would I be best just using road bike and cashing in TT bike?

MrsDigger Wild boar is on and dates where realised think MC had them? Or Pixie?

Cake Sarah will be happy imageimage

AliBear30 I'll be there at the start not sure on the finish though lol might be very dark by thenimage
  • arghh, when I was driving to work today I discovered that the other side of my knee is really painful, as in excruciatingly and have been hobbling around school all day trying to hold back the expletives!

So, well and truly out of doing anything I think, not even the turbo tomorrow morning. I think some total rest would be a good idea. I have an appointment back with the physio on Weds anyway

Mrs D I think cake posted something about the wild boar website being back up on 1st November. Cakes post did have the dates of stuff on, it will probably be a few pages back on here

ok, off home now to find some ice

• ST keep the Planet X. I can't see the problem of using it on a sportive. I ride my bike with aero bars on at sportives and the vast range of bikes there are amazing, or is it that you think you will be too fast for everyone.image
    Mathschick take care of the knee, plenty of RICE. Shame to miss athe race but the long term is more important.

I did another run/walk, covered 4 miles but hip niggled much more, so will keep it to shorter sessions but will try for 2 min run and 1 min walk. Managed to forget to have breakfast afterwardsimageimage, how can that happen? I never miss brekkie.

• ST I'm with your on the sudden hypochondria setting in!

Also sell the TT bike? Are you mad everyone goes out and buys a TT bike for outlaw and you've already got one so keep it. Unless it doesn't fit?

• ST your planet x will do the job much better unless your having any issue’s with the bike. The difference the bikes going to have is about roughly 5% quicker/better than the other bike you have. I know that doesn’t sound like much but think on it. If it takes you 6 hours to get round on your trusty Raleigh that means it’s going to take you about 5 hours 35 minutes on the planet x. That’s 25 minutes less off your time and enough time for another pint before last orders, if your slower come July the different will be even more. If your having back problems might be worth biting the bullet and having a bike fitting to see if your position or the stem ect needs changing. But as a general rule mate I would strongly suggest you watch full metal jacket and for the next few months stay to yourself “this is my bike there are many like it but this one is mine. Without my bike I am useless, without me my bike is useless.”image

If I could I would use a bike for outlaw and if you remember back to when you got it I was going to get exactly the same bike, still might once Christmas is out of the way and know how much cash I have.

Alibear the wild boar should I think be 1st September as above the boar people sent a e-mail round everyone they have a address for saying the web site will be down for rebuilding. Should be up again by the end of this week.

• Mc - its sounding like resting is the answer... Frustrating but true. Steady's right the long term is more important. 

Thanks everyone for the Wild Boar info, another prime example of me not paying attention. 

ST - how lovely to have to make a decision between bikes, I go with whatever they said!