Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• karma - that's bad. what have you done?

• Well have been well and truly beasted. Intervals on the bike and kettle bell sets. With some squats and lunges thrown in just for fun. Mostly quite tired now!!
    Ali, hope the leg not too bad. Better to take the time now than be out longer. How's the wetsuit looking?
    Good swimming again Maths, you'll be a fish soon! Any idea when you're getting xrayed? What's the doc thinking if wants xray? I did a little trx yesterday - I have to force myself I hate it.
    What ya done karma?

Oo top news of the day, ordered my turbo yesterday and OH has suggested a Garmin 310xt as an Xmas present... Maybe he is inboard? 

• Well done Mrs D sounds like a good session, dont use me as an inspiration cos im the worlds worst at trying to do nothing i have to get a grip of myself or ill do something stupid 310xt nice pressy, the OH must be on board . Nice swimming Mathschick, Karma, take it easy and rest up.
  • mathschick some news through is your wetsuit will give you some buoyance same as a pool buoy. You might be surpliced how fast you go once openwater starts again. image

• cake - that would be good.image There won't be a lot of time before outlaw half to practice in ow.

MrsD - garmin for xmas is good, he must be onboardimage

• Mathschick, fret not, Cake is right about the bouyancy and I find if I kick too much I end up with cramp when doing long distance, so OWS means less kicks than in the pool.

Karma take care, rest is good.

Alibear I know what you mean about weight, have just managed to lose the 4 pounds extra I put on, but that took ages.

• MrsD - I went for the xray this afternoon, radiologist said she couldn't see anything wrong with the bones, cartilage and soft tissue doesn't show, and that GPs can't order scans, if my GP thinks I need a scan then he has to refer me to an orthopaedic surgeon. The radiologists send a report to the gp which could take a week

Back to the physio tomorrow

• That's why it surprised me Maths. Didn't sound like bony injury would have been better to refer straight away. Hey ho, the mind of the gp. Have fun with the physio terrorist! 
    I know what you mean Razor, you start to feel a bit better and a bit more confident. Difficult then to hold back. But we must, long term goals and all that. Very excited as get to run in 2min blocks this week - Woop Woop! 
    Hey Cake, hope the weekend went okay. 

• Ironcat forgot to ask how you were doing after your swim!

• Hurt my back lifting a heavy box at work pain now all around right hip right side of hip and and groin and down the back of my legs Physioterrorist says muscles have basically gone into spasm need a mixture of rest and movement to get everything working again

I have responded well to acupuncture before so hopefully it will help its been two months now with no training other than a few gentle spins on the turbo but I have never had acupuncture from a Physio before which seems dead weird

Hope you get some good news tommorrow Maths

• karma, that sounds bad. a chiropractor might be able to help?

• Going to give the physio a go first I had really bad sciatica a year or two back and the acupuncture worked where the osteopath failed if the physio/acupuncture doesnt help will make chiropractor next port of call (Never seen a chiropractor before)

Just so need to get back to some training as am very bad tempered and getting very fat and lazy It seems the less you do the less  you want to do Dont want my mojo to become too comfy sat on the sofa image

• I know what you mean, I had started to get comfy on the sofa watching lots of tv etc...

• I'm comfy sitting on the sofa with a large glass of wine... Is that bad? 

I saw a chiropractor, scared me to death but has certainly helped.

• Hi All. I hope we're improving!

Sound like you need an MRI Maths (not that I know anything about this image ).

Not too bad today MrsD. I was worried that my LH shoulder would flare again due to the increase in stress, but it seems ok. I made a real effort to roll the body last night and modify the pull to put less stress on the shoulder. Probably undoing months of technique in the process!

Good luck Karma. I've had lower back issue that my phys has worked wonders with over the years.

I should frequent this thread more, as next year is the year of the sprint for me. In the spirit of training for a shorter tri I am working towards improving my 5km time. Tonight was a 10km run just shy of vomit pace. Always takes an hour or so to calm the body down afterwards. Now recovering in the hotel with a nice beer.

• Sounds like all sorts of injuries and illnesses! Hope you all feel better soon.

Well done Razor.

I did a bike ride today image 1hr 50mins including a horrible hill that took my lowest gear and I nearlly passed out before I reached the top. It's been a very, very long time since I did a ride that far and I'm sure I shall feel it tomorrow. But I am determined to train well over the winter.

• Just thought I'd say hello.  Been pointed to this thread by Mathschick.  I originally posted on the fatman to ironman thread.  They all scared me by trying to get me to register for an IM straight away. 

I'm aiming for my first Sprint triathlon in June and first half marathon in Liverpool in March (I think).

I can run, but not that far - 15k.  So I'm fairly confident about the half.  Just aiming to do it in under 2 hours.

Swimming - I'm absolutely pants.  I can mange 50m crawl before I run out of steam.  My legs trail behind me like a dead weight and cause loads of drag.  Working on it though with swim lessons.  If I did a tri now I would drown.

The triathlon was a birthday present! Ha!  I mentioned it casually that I'd love to do one on day and thought no more of it....next thing I'm handed a paid for entry to Windsor.

I'm based in Southport, so if there is anyone in the area with similar targets, or just fancies a training partner, let me know.

• Welcome PaddyP, I am down south so no help with the training, but you can ask questions here and we will try to help.

Pilates tonight, OMG we were worked hard, sure I am going to be sore tomorrow. Need to get back into a routine of training even if it is short and gentle as one swim and pilates a week is not going to get me round a sprint in May and Outlaw half in June.

Who else here is signed up for Winterswim?

• HI Paddy - you are very welcome and will fit in this thread just fine image. Well done for signing up to your first tri.

• Cheers CBimage

Karma, Where are you based?  I visit a great chiro who also does acupuncture and sports massage.  Has great results with sciatica I'm told.  She has really worked out for me with some neck problems I had in past.  I'm up north in Merseyside.

• morning all

paddy, I am in Nottingham so nowhere near you

this http://www.pirateshipoffools.co.uk/?p=467 article has some good tips on it

cat - I think to get an mri I have to convince the gp to refer me to an orthopeadic surgeon, apparently gps can't request mris. If it is still bothering me next week I will go and try to get him to refer me on. I'll see what the physio says this afternoon

• Good morning *waves*

I think it's finally time for me to say hello here, and do the thing where I give a basic introduction of where I am at the moment with my goals and training.

I've set myself the goal of completing the sprint tri at Stratford next year.  I mostly do a variety of 10k events at a very modest pace.  (I've just started training for an off road marathon next year, as I wasn't moving myself forwards and needed the challenge).

Swimming was up until this morning, a major wall.  Up until a week ago, I could only ever do 25m without gasping for air at the other end. After trying some drills something just clicked with my breathing technique on Monday, and today I've just started the '0 - 1650' program and completed a total of 700m this morning (woot!) - so all of a sudden this has become do-able.

The cycling also has its challenges, in that I have a nice bike but I lack the confidence to get out there and actually ride it.  For now I'm probably going to rely on early morning rides before the traffic builds up, at least until I can start to feel comfortable and develop a bit of cycling nouse.  On the bright side as long as I don't come off the thing, it won't be something that stops me completing the tri - if not in a blazing time.

I'm kind of excited because this morning's swim has told me something I needed to know - I can do this.

• Welcome Dawn Shadow and PaddyP - I see you're trying to escape the clutches of Gastank and his ever growing IM gang!!

Well, my foot/ankle felt ok yesterday, so thougt i'd try a little run - the first in 5 weeks! Managed a whole 1km before I cracked due to the pain!! saw the physio and he now thinks its something else - I may have torn the muscle form the bone, but thinks I should get an MRI to make sure!  As I don't have medical insurance (as I work for myself) I have to decide whether is worth blowing the 910xt fund on the MRI just to be told not to run for 'x' weeks! And the clock is ticking on Lanza!!

Wonder if I could claim it as a business expense......leaves to speak to accountant!

• I'm sure every one goes through phases of believing they can do this, and having doubts. I do believe that baring injury almost any one willing to put in the training can achieve their goals.

• image Blimely a lot of folks about today.

MrsDigger (aka sicknote) wrote (see)

I'm comfy sitting on the sofa with a large glass of wine... Is that bad? 

Nope it's mandertory.

• oh rafi that sounds bad - how much is an mri? can you go to your gp and get it done on the nhs? they could be a long wait though...

• Its about 400 quid for a MRI apparently - trying to decide if its worth it just to find out exactly what's going on!! And, yes, I have a lot of respect for the NHS (after living in Africa for 7 years you appreciate these things) but I can't see me being very high on the priority list!! My physio suggest resting it for another week then make a decision, so we'll see!

In another news, i decided 'my' company can pay for private health for me from now on - its tax deductable! image

• I am guessing you are self employed? private health would be a good option, doubt whether it will cover existing conditions though. MRI is expensive, but then, I guess if I have to make the same decision I think I would pay for it rather than wait months on the nhs

• Yes - I set my own comany up a few months ago. Cash flow was an issue initially so 'luxury' expenses such as health insurance were shelved for a while - but I think its probably worth it now, besides its not that expensive!

And I agree - don't think the NHS route is viable!! I'm going to have a chat with some friends who know more about these things and get some more advice - but I can see an MRI happening next week!!

• best to get it sorted quickly.

I know my sister needed an op on her arm a few years ago and ended up paying for it herself (well, I think my parents might have helped) rather than wait for the nhs.