Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options

Nice one Maths. Is a speed walk a mince?

hours swim tonight with the club. It doesn't get easier...

• Options
    Thanks for all the swim tips, lap counter added to Xmas list image I had one go at open water this year at a British tri open day thing. Was like swimming in green soup you couldn't see your own hand yet alone any fish, surprisingly it didn't bother me one bit. I'm hoping that will be the same when I go back next year.
  • Options

Cat - not really sure what mince means!image

Ali - I found OW ok, apart from the fact that the place I went had really bad weeds, first time wasn't too bad, but as time went on, and they were breaking through the surface, wrapping themselves round arms and legs.....it freaked me a bit and I didn't like it. Places without the weed problem were fine

• Options
    Mrs D, I'm just building up a bit more every week so when the 30 week program kicks in mid December I'll be ready for it. I just need to do more on the bike and get back in the pool.image
  • Options

I think I need to sort out a schedule for the outlaw half

been on the bike and for a short swim, felt like one of those days when I was going really slowly though

• Options
    MC.... At least you were movingimage
  • Options

MC - I'm sure Gladys will demonstrate mincing image

• Options

Who is this Gladys and consistent mention of mincing prowess?
    Keep plugging on Maths, will all come together... You're doing well to be doing anything! Would like to have seen your 30min mince.
    Razor, is it the Fink 30 you speak of?
    Good swimming Cat, being a girl and seem to keep avoiding the swimming. did do pt today though and got thoroughly beasted. Feeling it now. 
    Ali if you're Xmas pressies how about a Poolmate? 

• Options

physio again today and back to work tomorrow, so should probably do some turbo today as I'll be shattered after work tomorrowimage

Just wish I could swim quicker -  I know that my legs must be part of the problem as I am so much quicker when I swim with a pull buoy

anyway, do another 30 min mince yesterday, whatever that itimage

• Options
    Yeah, Mrs D, Fink 30 week program proberbly the intermediate plan.
  • Options

physio has told me to do some run/walking, on the treadmill, so will go and attempt that this afternoon while eldest son is having his swimming lesson, bit excited but also a bit scared

what do people advise in terms of a half ironman training plan? follow fink up to the point where you do a half, or get the plan off beginner triathlete website?

• Options

I would suggets getting hold of a HIM specific programme and tailoring it to yuor needs, taking elements from Fink where need be. I think just following the Fink to the HIM may not be the best use of your time as the objective is slightly different.

Good luck getting back into running - hoping I might be able to do some in the next couple of weeks!!!

• Options

I'll get the one off beginner triathlete then, will have to tamper with it so that the swimming sessions fit when the pool is open anyway!

• Options
    MrsDigger (aka sicknote) wrote (see)

Who is this Gladys and consistent mention of mincing prowess?

You are in for treat Mrs D when you finally witness the amazing Mincing skills of Galdys, although Ferret's should not go unnoticed image

• Options

Cake - your better half said this on another thread:

"Liquids are great for promoting a feeling of fullness, so make sure you drink regularly."

If that's not permission to get drunk, I don't know what is!!imageimage

• Options

I have met Gladys and seen his mincing.
    Mrs Digger, moving in a camp style equals a mince. Or at least thats the nearest I can think of how to describe it.
    Rafiki and MC, I am now going to have a rethink on schedule but will incorporate Fink into it. Plus I believe that I have altered my garmin successfully so that the alarm doesnot keep going off when cycling, it kept telling me my heart rate was too high, when it was not, plus need to remove other computer bits in garage to get a sensible cadence reading, honest I was doing about 80-90 not the 40 it said.

Off to physio shortly, will report back later.

• Options
    Rafiki wrote (see)

Cake - your better half said this on another thread:

"Liquids are great for promoting a feeling of fullness, so make sure you drink regularly."

If that's not permission to get drunk, I don't know what is!!imageimage

image Excellent what thread was this? We are going to meet for the pub quiz in a minute so i will put it to the test?

• Options

Cake its here

I would print it out and stick on the fridge for future use!!

• Options

Cheers mate right 15 pints of the black stuff here I come. image

• Options

I have exercises to do and I can do all 3 sports.image
    Physio is letting me run/walk for 20 mins twice a week to start with, building up the running as I feel able. Plenty of swimming allowed and turboing with emphasis on the upstroke of pedal not the down and keeping it even both sides but not to over do it. Muscle imbalances and tightness in the hip region are the problems and HIM is a doable goal. Although she has recommended getting a metronome app and making sure my steps are even.image Will be looking for one as my next task for the evening.

Cake a pint of the black stuff is always good, even if the myths about it are just myths.

• Options

steady - that is great newsimage

well, been the gym and done a bit of run/walk on the treadmill - not as much as the physio said as it was all feeling a bit tight and odd, but not exactly painful. I'll leave it a couple of days tilll I have another go.

cake - enjoy the black stuff

• Options

I have done my first little bimble as instructed 3k or 20 mins max. So I went up an unlit road for just over half a mile and back, walk with 3 jogs, keeping my form and it felt OK, the time was 23 minutes so close enough.

As a result of the above I have now entered the East Grinstead Sprint Tri in May next year.

Stretching will be done shortly, fizz says hold stretches for 1 minute and to use a watch or clock to make sure it is a minute and not less.

• Options
    Woohoo Steady. Great news
  • Options

Has anyone got a copy of 'Triathlon Swimming Made Easy: The Total Immersion Way...' that they would like to sell?

• Options

Not heard of that one just had a look on goggle and it appears to be cheapish on amerson if any good. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Triathlon-Swimming-Made-Easy-Open-Water/dp/1931009074

Afraid didn't go for the black stuff in the end but we managed to win the pub quiz with the team name The c*ck womble's the the great amusment off everyone in the public house. image 

• Options

steady, well done

back at work today, and knee is complaining a bit after turning round in the classroom, grrr, will go and do my physio exercise and get the ice once I have made the kids' food. Was going to go swimming this evening, but shattered after work and don't fancy going out in the wind again (excuses, excuses...)

will get the turbo ready for an early morning session thoughimage then can do some core as well in the morning

• Options

Cheers Cake, looked everwhere the other night and cheapest I saw was over 20 quid.

• Options

Nice one Cake. CW is my new favourite insultimage. Good news at last Steady!

An easy 10km run this evening. It's been a long few days for work. Pondered on which Pirates I was passing as I drove up and down the M1.I had a nice swim yesterday in the hotel though.

I also now know where the Rother Valley tri will be; a looong way from home.

Enjoy the morning turbo MC!

• Options

Hurrah Steady, quality news... Take it 'steady' though - you see what I did there! 
    Don't lose heart Maths, take it out on the turbo tomorrow. I think general weather warnings are a reasonable excuse for not going out.
    How goes it Paddy? Anything exciting to report?
    Hellooo Cake...
    I went out for a soggy run this evening, all went well at 2mins running. Turbo in the morning before work. Starting to feel like things are certainly getting better! Might even sign up for an event soon - I know, crazy!

• Options

Well I've joined the injury club unfortunately.  Had to skip swimming tonight, feels like a trapped nerve  or muscle spasm around my shoulder blade or something.  Might have been a hard run I did last night.  Luckily got a sports massage first thing tomorrow so that should sort it out.

Swimming progressing well.  With and without fins.  Got a great coach who doesn't overload me with things to work on.  "One thing at a time, get that right and we'll move on and build on it"

Looking forward to it now in June, rather than being terrified.