Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• cake - that is what my OH said, although he pointed out there was nothing wrong with my knees back thenimage I was probably about 10 or 11 in that picture - erm so about 33/34 years ago. Feel old now....

• Hey everyone, shoddy time at work hence been shattered and keeping head down. Had a couple of days just too tired to train, in bed by 9. But today, managed a 35min run/walk.4 min run, 1 min walk. very chuffed. 

Good to hear everyone still getting out there despite the pants weather... must admit I quite like running in shocking weather, makes you feel proper hardcore! 

• We all have those weeks. Felt quite tired today, and MrsCat was late home from parents' evening (she is a teacher). That meant I wouldn't make the tri swim, so turbo'd instead.

Definitely in the hurtbox after yesterday's XC!

• Cat am I right in thinking mnext XC is up beyond High Wycombe? Hell of a trek for 5 mile run? Or is it THAT good

• Dustboy wrote (see)

Cat am I right in thinking mnext XC is up beyond High Wycombe? Hell of a trek for 5 mile run? Or is it THAT good

The Handy Cross XC is a wonder in that it is completely uphill. Even the downhills are uphill. A bit like Escher's triangle.

• Hello? Hello? Is anyone here?

Nice to hear about the good training sessions. I set a 5k PB on Saturday and then didn't do anything due to yucky weather and too much work until my swim this morning. Am hoping the rain stops briefly tomorrow so i can cycle or run.

• I am here Chillibean, did pilates yesterday and hope to get out today for a brief run today.
    I should imagine that everyone is either busy working or trying to avoid the floods. My garden has got its winter pond now with the excess rain.

IronCat, I am glad I do not do XC if the downhills go up. I do like a bit of off road trail though.

• Hi chili, I am here, but have been really busy at work

getting into the sufferfest - did another this morningimage

and did a run/walk on the treadmill last night - didn't feel quite right but managed to complete the whole session the physio had set me and I can still walk this morning so that is good

• I have done my run/walk, with no problems. I will do more stretching later. It felt good to be back but unfit. Must only look at what I need to do this week and not about next year or else I feel its too much.

• Hey Maths, I feel your pain. You're doing better than me though, how do you use the sufferfest? On a laptop?
    Go Steady, feels lovely when you get that walk/running and it feels ok!
    Congrats on the PB Chili... Weather generally causing problems.
    Well done getting on the turbo Cat, I need a boot up the arse every now and again! 
    Paddy, get those waterproofs on and get out there...

• MrsD -  I got OH to put them on DVD so I can put it on the telly - I probably would get annoyed having to start up the laptop in the mornings, and it is small as well.  The rest of the family seem to find it amusing if they happen to get up early enough to find me suffering in the morningimage

I was planning on swimming tonight, but my left ear has been weird since Monday so am going to give it a miss incase I am harbourng an ear infection. Can't go and risk making anything worse and being off work again!

Got another walk/run planned for tomorrow after school thoughimage

• Ah, that crazy ability to use computers and do useful stuff with them... Does cleaning the house count as a training session by the way?  So, walk/running all round and going successfully. Hurrah!

• MrsD our lass tells folks who see her for the day job that house works counts as exercise so it must do for training as well.image

• Just in case having a few minutes waiting for a very lovely lady to arive so muching about a little on the internet. Just spotted the wild boar details are now up if people are interested and want to party. image

• Well Cake my man, you've cheered me up all round.. Housework done and 30min high cadence turbo, so dual training today. Def up for a play at Wild Boar. I say this with the confidence of a person who's only done a super sprint. What could possibly go wrong image

• yeah, I am definitely up for wild boar - be a great way to finish the summer holidays

• We're all still here Chili. Well done!

• I just mentioned camping at Wild Boar to the OH, may need a bit of persuading me thinks!

• MrsD ST will have better info about the camping as he's been down there with the camper van a few times. From what I could see the camping site was clean and well managed with crazy golf and a few things for the kids. They did look slightly pricy through. When I went this year we tryed to book the camping only to be told we had to do it for the whole weekend which put us off. They might have changed that now.

• Hey Mr Cake, did check earlier on the camping and seems a solo night is available. I know when I checked before it was a weekend deal thing. Slightly over excited about the camping thing really. Unfortunately, OH not so much. 

Managed pt and a run/walk today. Most impressed with myself. Things really improving me thinks. image Was mighty chilly for the run tonight, cover those windscreens people gonna be a cold one. 

Does anyone else find swimming a chore? Getting to the pool, getting changed, running into pool so no-one sees you, swim, out, shower, dry hair, get dressed, travel home. So time consuming for limited pool time. Is it just me?

• Can I just say I enjoy the swimming bit!

• the bit of swimming I don't like is the getting dry and dressed afterwards - swimming changing rooms always seem to be too humid to get dry properly

• I always seem to drop something - locker money, watch, ring ... I'm not normally clumsy or disorganised, but swimming seems to bring it out of me ... At least the changing rooms do, anyway
  • Swimming is always faff. I tend to get changed at home so kit in the locker and go. It;s easier in the summer, as you'll take less to the pool.

• I wimped out of turboing tonight, excuse is the garage is too cold and finished work a bit late.
    But I will do my exercises tonight and loads of stretching once my dinner has gone down a bit more.

I agree swimming does involve more faffing but like IronCat I get ready at home especially first thing on a Saturday morning, so less faff before swim, but still the faff after, drying my hair bit is skipped due to its shortness and in the winter I just shove a wolly hat on and style it when I get home. The only time I get waves in my hair is at a tri race where the helmet causes a few ripples but even that disappears within an hour or so. 

• Wish I could do the Wild Boar but the only way i can get another Sunday off is if we book our summer hols for that week. And our half term hols are going to revolve around doing the Outlaw Half, is it really fair of me to monopolise the summer ones too?

Did a bike ride yesterday - went out in a group for the first time. Yes, they were all retired gentlemen in their late 60's/early 70's but I quite enjoyed it. I was with the beginner's group which was a little slow, but apparently the step up to the advanced group is a big one and it may have to wait until Spring before I'm ready to join them.

Pilates today and hopefully will fit in a run tomorrow.

Or does dancing count? I'm taking one of my daughters to a ceildhi and so will be dancing all evening.

• Had a great run with Horse tonight 5.5 miles in 54 mins, all done in Z2 felt really comfy at that pace and could have run a lot further even though it was -1c , eh up its a bit parky oop norf tonight. image
  • Thinking of shorter tris, anyone else fancy Stratford in May next year? Done it a few times now and it's quite a laugh.

• chili - it is difficult when you feel stuff like everything the family does is starting to revolve around your activities. It is a bit of give and take. YOu are lucky that your family also enjoy the same kind of activities.

• Running i the crisp cold Razor - gotta love it.

Stratford Oly DB? A bit far for me, in terms of travel and racing distance! image