Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Happy New Year everyone! And welcome back Oii! (Not that I've been much here either...)

But I want to get back in! Last year I was planning to join you guys to do Wild Boar but I just don't think I'm quite ready so planning to train for OD instead. Still that pesky business of learning to fc to deal with.

My New Year resolutions are

• eat more healthily
    • lose at least 21lbs but really would like to lose 28lbs
    • complete OD tri
    • do a 100mi ride
  • mikasa - great to have you back too

you will probably be fine for wild boar - it isn't until September and you have a good base to start with. Why not make a decision about it nearer the time?

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Hi MC - my base is actually horrendously bad atm. I just got demotivated after the HM and didn't do much, plus was demotivated about volleyball as well and put more weight on. I know I could do the HIM if I trained, I'm just not sure if my head is in the right place to do that much consistent training...and I'm still pretty worried about picking up fc. I'm gonna start taking some lessons in February. However, I'm planning to follow fink plan just in case the fitness comes back with training, so I'm not totally ruling it out yet.

• that's good

I have booked a swim smooth day - it is on 27 feb, I am a bit excited about it, but will be very fed up if my swimming doesn't actually improve! Although I know I am not going to suddenly be amazing overnight, but I don't want to finish the swim feeling fresh enoug to do the bike and run

• image Oii ay up kid nice to have you back and hope heal up and get better soon. Beware them down London way they are all nutter's *wait's to find out Sarah read that*image

Mikasa you will be fine for the boar if you deside you want to and it's very newbie friendly.

MrsDigger (aka sicknote) wrote (see)

Happy New Year everyone... Hope good time had by all! Nice to hear you're running again Maths, Woop Woop. 
    Hope the run in the woods went okay Chili! Cake, if I make it round Wild Boar do I get a Malt (Jura) would be fine! Indeed Razor, living up to my name. What could possibly go wrong... 

That's a deal kiddo. image

• Cheers Mr Cake, can't think of a better incentive! 
    Maths, did my first swim for ages tonight. Just getting in my cossie was struggle. Managed 30mins in increments of 100m with a 20sec breather. Was put to shame by the swim club in the 2 lanes next to me. Can only get better. Turbo in the morning.

Hellooo Oii & Mikasa... You was missed! 

• Welcome back Mikasa.

First run of the year, back at the local track image.

• image I did my first run of the year, 2 miles of run 2 mins, walk 1 min.

Must remember to stretch afterwards though.

Welcome back Mikasa.

• Maths chick - what is a swim smooth day?
  • mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Went for a little 2.8mi jog at lunch time yesterday with a work mate. We went really slow but my legs are bit achy today. It's only two weeks from last run!! image

• oii - if you look on the swim smooth website there is a page for the 'certified coaches' and links to their websites. I am doing this http://swimsmooth.cassonz.com/wp/?page_id=994  not cheap but hopefully I will notice a difference! It includes underwater videoing (that is going to be embarrassing!)

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

I had a look at that MC, quite steep price wise, hopefully you get a lot out of it!

• thanks mc!!! i will check that out!!!

• thinking i might be uber brave pre work tmrw and get all lit up like a christmas tree and go for a 6:30am training ride on the scary london roads. havent done it yet and my bike is getting depressd being stuck indoors.

really fancy one of those flashing led light vest thingies. anyone have one?

• mikasa - I had originally thought about a total immersion course - that would have been a whole weekend and £350!! The coach at the tri club said the swim smooth ones were good. It is a lot of money 

oii - I am being a bit pathetic about cycling in the dark, and the flooded roads, and haven't cycled outside for ages

• just went and and spoke to the people in the local bike shop re my lights set up. they looked at me like i am a mentalist and said "urm, you'll be fine with that lot" image

• lol! Oii, the roads terrify me and like you I do lots of lights including a head torch on my helmet and a longsleeved hi-vis jacket.

Does ice skating class as cross training? Had a great 50 mins skating with my girlies but should be doing a bike ride and am feeling very can't-be-bothered about getting my bike out.

I don't have a heart rate monitor nor have I ever measure my heart rate. For marathon training I went by 'feel' and learnt that if I could breath through my nose then I was going slow enough for the LSR's. But I'm still learning how to cycle and haven't figured out yet the 'feel' of going at the right speed. Can anyone give me any tips?

• Aha my heart rate question was caused by garmin readings towards the end of a parkrun so I'm taking it image, thanks.

Managed my first exercise of the year today, just a short run my lunch hour.

• just signed up for the swimathon 5k, eek! better get some longer swims in...

• Oii, you will be fine with lights, just look out for all the idiot drivers and loony unlit cyclists in London.

• I will be honest Chili I am a novice in everything. The bike they keep telling me is the important bit and I am pretty much clueless. I've been a complete girl with the bad weather and stuck to my turbo. You could always get a cheap hr monitor.
    Maths - that's a big old swim. Fair play.

Just done 40min turbo whilst watching latest Castle. Run tomorrow, then night shifts begin. I hate nights. Have a good weekend all!

• First london ride done. was a very steady, getting lost, wobbling a bit 60 minutes.

Not sure who is more agressive the drivers or the cyclists?

It was at 6:30am and it was pretty busy, will try leaving at 6am mon-fri to give myself a (hopefully) easier time of it. Wow, so intense.

Will defo try saturday/sunday pre work and pray for quieter roads.

• well done oii, now the first one is over the rest won't seem so bad

• Top work Oii... It's bad enough round my sleepy town. We're you lit up like a Christmas tree?
    Maths - followed your lead entered Swimathon. Only the 2.5 though.

• i was a total christmas tree. not sure if that was the correct plan of attack though, as its constant street lights...... so i was looking at other cyclists thinking they were also christmas trees, but didnt stand out that much because of the light pollution?

hmmmmm.

• MrsD - when I started thinking about the distance when I run 5k, I started to question my sanity!!

• I've signed up for the 5k too - I reckon with a long toilet break in the middle I could get away with just thinking about it as a double training session
  • Like you're thinking Brit... Now just reassure Maths she hasn't made a huge mistake! 
    Just entered a tri on my birthday! Is that bonkers? 

• well, what is the worst that can happen? I don't manage the full 5K? but I do 4K? well, that would still be an achievement

MrsD - tri on your birthday sounds like fun!

• oii nice one and there is nothing wrong with being a christmas tree. I normally look like one of the baddy's from the film running man in the dark. Can't remember the name of him but sure Raf or someone else will point it out.

Not signed up for swimathon yet but going to the missus as had a insane plan and waiting to work out where to play. image