Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Hell yeah! Huge deep mud downhill followed by 3 ditch crossings.

Good sandwiches too. Last one next weekend; any danger of a bimble pass by then DB?

Fingers crossed for you. Time for a Marlow lap soon too.
  • Dusty. Be good dont do nowt daft.image
  • I'm down for G3 XC next weekend. I am tempted to walk it and see what happens. Had a half hour amble this arvo. (())

• I was a bit like Mrs Digger, I overslept and missed swimming. Busy doing things and skipped the turbo yesterday as well. Today I managed 10 mins warm up on turbo then a very cold but pleasant 2.5 mile run/walk, upping the running to 3 mins at a time. Felt hard towards the end but good.

DB take it easy I do not want to have to visit you when I am at work.image
    Ambles for half an hour sound enough until cleared by the medics.

Day 1 of training starts tomorrow and I know I can do it - its a rest day.image

• DB - no XC next weekend, don't be silly. When do you see the cardiologist?

• Still waiting. Will hit the works Private health as soon as see the cardio.

• DB - take care of yourself.

Steady - enjoy your first day of training plan image

MrsD - ouch! Hope it heals soon.

Well having done no training since last Tuesday I simply couldn't cope any longer. My throat is still very sore but I'm not feeling quite so 'ill' so I've just been out of a slow 3mile potter. And very nice it was too.

Am a bit worried about ST. Has anyone heard from/seen him? Is he posting on other threads?

• I think he posted to say he had received his kit on the kit thread, but haven't seen any other posts by him

ST - WHERE ARE YOU???? hope you are ok

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Hey all,

2 runs last week, cycle to vb plus a tough training session and one easier one. Very sniffley but going for a lunch time easy run today. Motorbike failed MOT at the weekend so couple of weeks train/cycle to work now. Will try to do at least one longer (about 10mi) bike at lunch time one day.

Really need to go for a longer slower run at some point (would not quantify it as LSR as it won't be long), thinking about 4miles just to get over that 3mi curse I have for lunch time runs. But weekends are not kind atm. Match on Sunday and week on Friday off to Finland for my sister's wedding.

DB - take care of yourself!

• I like Finland. I guess any running will be treadmill based at the mo though.

Hotel pool here has ice, so an impromptu rest day for me! image
  • Okay so conversation with colleague at work... 

Colleague: I hear you're doing a triathlon!
    Me: well, hopefully more than one.
    Colleague: well done you, who for?
    Me: who for?
    Colleague: Who are you doing the triathlon for?
    Me: Me!
    Colleague: No you're not getting me... Who's it for?
    Me: For me!
    Colleague: No, I mean who are you collecting money for?
    Me: No one.
    Colleague: oh so it's not for charity!
    Me: not this one no.
    Colleague: oh right - WEIRD!

So it's official, anyone who does a triathlon without it simply being for charity is weird! Sorry people!

• Mrs Digger I have had that conversation at work as well, they just went " oh you are just doing it for a personal challenge then". I just state that if I played tennis, or was part of a football team or virtually any other sport, that they would not make such a comment, to which they agree.
    I think the best retort when someone says I'm strange,(due to triathlon) I reply, "In your world maybe, not in mine." That makes them wonder for a few seconds who is the mad one.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Ha ha, like your answer Steady! Absolutely perfect!! image

Lunch time run wasn't as easy as I wished but a good workout. Lots of cycling yesterday, about 20miles in drips and draps and vb training. Didn't get to bed before half 11, knackered now. Just can't do late nights and early mornings...

• image Mikasa, I know what you mean!

Bit icy outside... not safe to run or cycle at the moment. Might try to swim later.

• image I just point out that I can eat whenever I feel like while they have to be on diet's all the time. Normally works but backfired lately. Speaking of which gone from 16st 11 to 16st 5 since Jan 1st new years resolution working. image

Very icey up here but the first fell races of the year will be in a week and there is plenty of snow on the hills to play on. imageimage

• well done on the weight loss cake. The being able to eat cake is a good one. There are much stranger people than me where I work so no-one seems to think it strange that I get up at 4:30 to go running. Well, they don't say much to my face anywayimage

• although I was annoyed a bit the other day when I was talking to someone about doing a half ironman and they said, 'yeah, I would be able to do the swim and bike, but can't run'. She does no exercise whatsoever, so what makes her think she could swim and bike that distance???

• news a) went to walk in centre this morning for still very dodgy finger that i keep re-injuring. got scoffed at for not taking painkillers. not sure how i held it together, being scoffed at when it was 8:10am on a tuesdayimage

news b) fat club tonight. need to get my bike up hills easier. massive congrats cake on your weight loss! I am zero chocolate for january, day 15. amazes me how much i was relying on it. Sugar cravings dieing off in past few days. 

news c) still no foot op date.

• also if anyone lives near me and has discovery uk on their sky package. please can i come to your house at 2am on friday morning and watch the Lance interview???

• image Oii - according to my Virgin media guide thingy, its on at 20:00 (8pm) Friday evening

• Oii, well impressed witha the zero chocolate for January, I need my daily fix of dark chocolate. I do sometimes give it up for Lent and that is a real struggle.
    Well done on weight loss Cake, I have lost 2 pounds so far, quite a few to go.

I have done my 30 min run/walk and shortly will be off to pilates.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Glad I'm not the only one struggling with weight gain. Been on straight and narrow since new year, no chocolate,no crisps, no coke and to be honest, not missing them at all, it was just a bad habit. I'm up to 4lbs loss now but plenty of more to go.

Good luck to all who want to lose those extra pounds!

oii/rafiki - thanks for info, will try to watch/record it. 

• Raf-it's on at 2am on discovery first..... And because I am a loser I need to see it when it's first on

Mikasa - I only gave up chocolate! I am we'll impressed you have up crisps and coke too! I don't like coke, but I'm not giving up coffee!!!

Steady - I don't miss it after 14 days. I have a piece of fruit or skinny hot milky drink if I'm craving!
  • no chocolateimage don't think I would be able to give up, but I just have one small square of 85% after my evening meal, so not a massive amount anyway

think I will record the lance interview, I plan being asleep at 2am

• Will have to set the video or sky+ thing for lance.

First brick of the year done. All indoors as Marseille is unseasonably cold and icy.
  • Well done on all the weight loss! image

Managed to do a swim and am feeling better - or is it just that I'm bored? Anyway I've decided tomorrow morning is a bike ride with my lovely group of retired gentlemen, most of whom are far fitter than me!

(Have been eating an awful lot of chocolate image The girls are allowed sweets on Sat so there is quite a lot of christmas chocolate lying in the cupboard downstairs just begging to be eaten.... I think I need to go on 'Saturday Sweetie Day' too.)

• Well done to all who are training in the cold.... And a big well done to those who are losing the lbs. Anyone who has given up chocolate is bonkers although we have stopped alcohol for a month. 
    I continue to live up to my name, got bitten by dog yesterday on thigh. A&E followed and can't swim or run for a bit but should be able to bike. Taking antibiotics and painkillers. Fun, fun, fun.
    Okay, so who's had snow? 

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

I'm not really on a diet, just re-adjusting my eating habits and I wanted to get out of the habit of having coke and crisps at lunch time because what does that really give you? Anyway, haven't been too strict with myself, have had couple of ciders and when we go to Finland, I'm definitely eating chocolate as missing all the Finnish ones.

MrsDigger - you don't have much luck do you? Hope you get back to normal soon.

No snow here. Was cold in the morning though and some puddles are still frozen.

• oii wrote (see)
    Raf-it's on at 2am on discovery first..... And because I am a loser I need to see it when it's first on 

Just noticed that, but don't think I'll be staying up way past my bedtime to listen to more of his lies image