Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Yeah, it'll be interesting to hear what he has to say...not that I'd necessarily believe any of it. And definitely won't be up at that time!!

• Options

We had a little bit of snow on Monday. It was ice yesterday morning but melted by evening. Today it is freezing and was so cold that the water in my drinks bottle froze! I did 16 miles on my bike though image

MrsD -ouch!

• Options

well done chili

it was minus 6 here when I drove to work, so definitely a turbo day, and will probably go for a swim tonight

MrsD - you need to look after yourself!

• Options

No snow here, I went out early evening yesterday for my run, went swimming first thing this morning. All my cycling at the moment is on the turbo and looks like it will stay that way for a while yet.

Mrs D you certainly are living up to your name.

I did non stop 800m fc in 21 minutes for Winterswim.image

• Options

no snow here.flippin baltic though.

there was a helicopter crash though, 4 miles away, brutal. very sad.

lost 2.5lbs at weekly fat club, inspired. going to work out some motivational targets now. i.e dont be a fat biffer for the birthday in 16 weeks time. 

• Options

Sean about the helicopter crash looks like in a way it was very lucky it could have been a lot worse in rush hour. image

Snowed here every day since Sunday lightly so not much has stuck. Live very close to the woodhead pass through so it's not exacly tropical up here. it's about -4 at the moment.

• Options
    Swam at lunch today, 1200 mts total, 400 mts in 9.46 a pb for me. Ran tonight with Horse 5 miles all in Z2, it was -3 along the canal but enjoyed it and felt good.
  • Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Steady - well done on the swim!

Oii - well done on weight loss.

I was so tired this morning! Finally got to work at 10. I hate that vb is so late and I have to get up so early. Have cycle commuted nearly 60 miles this week already. With vb and the run my legs are feeling tired too. Have matches on Saturday and Sunday now so as much as today can be rest day, it will be.

• Options

-8.1 at 7.30 this morning here and snow everywhere and Norwich has basically been shut since Monday evening. No sign of a reprieve yet.

• Options
    Ali...I thought Norwich was shut down all year round. ;-D
  • Options

Wow Mikasa that is brilliant amount of cycling. I have been looking at my training plan and comparing to others and although i thought I had included enough cycling I obviousy haven't. Think I need to re-look at things.

Brrr Ali!

I'm training for a half-ironman, does anyone have any suggestions of how many miles per week I should idealy be doing?

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Chili - only reason I've cycled so much this week is that it is my only means of transport at the moment. And I'm definitely feeling it in my legs. Last night's sleep helped a lot though and am feeling better and not so tired today. Heavy snow fall forecasted for tomorrow so just in case I'm taking tomorrow off and am NOT cycling ANYWHERE!!

Also, have not done anything over 4.3miles as it's just commuting to places..

• Options
    Chilibean wrote (see)

Wow Mikasa that is brilliant amount of cycling. I have been looking at my training plan and comparing to others and although i thought I had included enough cycling I obviousy haven't. Think I need to re-look at things.

Brrr Ali!

I'm training for a half-ironman, does anyone have any suggestions of how many miles per week I should idealy be doing?

Can you follow the first 20 weeks of Fink?

e.g. during the week cycle for 1hr once in Z2, then do 45min Z2 ride followed by a 15m Z2 run. Then the Saturday ride should build over time (all in Z2) so you can do the 90km comfortably. If it looks like it will take you a while to cycle that 90 km then add another cycle in to the mix?

The swim is only 400m longer than an Oly. You can run a HIM in your sleep Chili!

• Options

mikasa - great cycling, but no wonder you are tired

snow here now. so might not make it to my planned swim this evening. Had a great swim last night as I was the only one in the poolimage. The weds session is supposed to be adult swimming lessons, but there is no instructor so they just let people in as a lane swim, but I think I am the only one that realises this as there is rarely anyone there. Could only do 40mins as had to pick son up, but better than nothing

• Options

Mathschick getting a lane to yourself, that is luxury.
    Mikasa wow, plenty of miles, no wonder your legs are tired.

I am letting my back settle down and will turbo and run tomorrow. Well turbo in the garage is OK cold but should be bearable but the run will be weather dependant. Run might become walk.

Chillibean I have done a spreadsheet for HIM for Outlaw Half, based on Fink and Trifuel mixed up, Fink for the zones and combination of both for the time. PM me if you want a copy and I will email it over. It only started on Monday so nothing too long yet.

• Options

Thanks Cat and Steady. Oh I hadn't thought of looking at 20 weeks of Fink image Will go do that. The swim and run is easy, but I'm starting from scratch on the bike and I'm fretting at how slow I seem to go. I guess it would help if I got the road bike down from the garage wall and started using that instead of my hybrid...

Steady - you have mail! image

• Options

Chilibean, replied to mail. Do not fret over the cycling, I am still slow, all cycling at the moment helps, when you get on the road bike you will be faster just because its lighter and more aerodynamic and got road tyres on.

I am waiting for the snow to arrive.

• Options

chili - I found a massive difference between the road bike and my old hybrid when I got a road bike last year

steady - can I have your plan too?? I'll pm you!

• Options

Thanks Steady. But there isn't going to be much cycling, running or anything here cos the snow is falling nicely and the schools shut at lunchtime.

• Options

Boo hiss to schools shutting at lunchtime for you but no doubt the children will be pleased. Looks like doing core exercises are your best option, apart from joining in the fun playing in the snow.

My run will be a walk in the snow at the most. I turboed this morning and did not put the fan on it was so cold and didnot feel any warmer than normal.

• Options

My pirate kit has arrived.image It all fits OK, sleeves slightly long, but at least I can get the zip done up on the jacket as its tight around the hips and bum, but long enough that it should not ride up when on the bike. Might wear the cycle jersey for the next turbo session to get used to wearing yellow.

• Options

5 mile run in the snow...image I just couldn't cope with the thought of doing nothing especially as we have house guests over the weekend.

• Options

Good effort Chili & Steady. Can't decide what to do....maybe turbo tonight again. Did Sufferfest's Angels last night.

When I dropped the kids at school this morning the headmaster said we could pick them up at 1pm if the snow continued. I replied that I'd see them shortly after 3pm, like a normal day. The bloody school phoned at 1pm to say they were closed image

• Options

Well I survived my walk into the village and back. Given my history of ice and broken bones I took it steady and walked on the fresh snow where possible.

IronCat I would also be image if that happened to me, plus do they think your always going to be able to drop what your doing and get there immediately.

I think I am going to get plenty more turbo time in over the weekend. I have my doubts about getting to swimming in the morning as the side roads will be very icy.

• Options

Steady can I suggest snowman building as cross training if the side roads are bad. Sounds silly but if you think about it you are still phisically active.image

• Options

That is taking cross training far too seriously, but you never know. I think the reality will be digging out so we can drive, the 4x4s are OK but leave a high bit in the centre that our little car cannot go over.
    At our previous house there was a little hill and being a quiet road, we just joined in with the next door kids sledging down and pulling them back up and playing snowballs, they were all age 4 to 10 at the time. Our excuse was we had to keep an eye open for any cars coming and make sure they were safe.

• Options

Still sulkng! Sounds like everyone doing well considering the snow.

• Options
    Chin up Mrs D, plenty of time image
  • Options

Will cross train tomorrow Cake image

Was working from home today so picking kids up wasn't a major hassle, just annoyed with the school's lazyness.

Another Sufferfest done tonight as active recovery. Planning on a big one tomorrow and XC Sunday if it's not cancelled due to snow image

• Options

Mrs D, please remember your mantra for the moment - Rest and recovery are important aspects of training.

Had an email, masters swim session cancelled in the morning.