Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Well done Mrs D, nice to see your up and at it again image
  • MrsD good to hear you are back training!imagewe are snowed in again, what a pain, but my knee is sore anyway, I think I was walking around too much at school yesterday, so I will try and rest up today. I have the swimsmooth course tomorrow so I HAVE to be fit to do that!

• Oh dear, bit quiet in here, hope I have not passed the lurgy on to everyone.
    After 4 days of doing nothing but sleeping and a tiny bit of eating, I managed a more normal day of work, apart from the coughing.

How did the swimsmooth go Mathschick?
    IronCat I heard you did a 90Km bike ride in that wind, well done.

I have withdrawn from the duathlon I entered for end of March, this chesty cough is not going to resolve instantly so looks like a hope to finish at Outlaw Half rather than a time target.

• steady - good to hear you are on the mend

the swimsmooth clinic was brilliant - a really long day (more than 10 hours!), but now have some sort of an idea as to what I am supposed to be doing. 

Steady - with my knee problems I am aiming at finishing, always was, but now am having to face the idea that I will be walking the whole 13.1 miles, not very happy about that, 

anyway, tomorrow I am off to see one of the other physios that works with the physio I have been seeing to have a running assessment - hopefullly that will be useful. Think I better make sure I turbo in the morning, I am getting very grumpy without much exercise, and getting far too used to not getting up early!

• Evening everyone. Sorry I've been AWOL. Took my teens away to Cambridge for a youth weekend.

Snow and ice and minus temperatures have gone but high winds and driving rain have returned. Got rather wet on my 5 mile run this eve.

Steady - hope you feel brighter soon and are able to get back on track with the training.

MC - all the best with the fizz tomorrow.

• Mathschick, sounds like we should team up for the walking at the end of the tri.

• Get well soon Steady! The 90km is the furthest I've done in one hit since Outlaw. It took ages due to the wind and was a challenge to stay on the bike at some points.

10hrs swimming Maths? Wow, you must have gills now!

Running in the rain is character building Chili. Good for you.

Any update from the quack DB?

• imageit was only about 4 hours in the pool cat - I would have shrived up if I had spent 10 hours in the water

I actually love running in rainimage

steady - so long as you don't swim and bike too fast I am up for walking at the end together!

• Hey Maths, sounds like swimsmooth was money well spent! Plenty of time for the knee to sort out lady, maybe walk/run the way forward. sounds like we'll all be hobbling the line together! I too LOVE running in the rain, makes you feel hardcore!
    Steady - sorry to hear you still feel shocking, so frustrating. Good to hear you've been given the go ahead by the physio.
    Go on the bike Mr Cat... thats proper hardcore.
    Well. I'm up to 30mins running... have been managing 30 min swims with occassional breaks. Only turboing at the mo. Good intentions are kicking in though. Pt session yesterday, got truly beasted. Legs are certainly feeling it this morning. Signed up for the Cotswold Superspint in May - so have my focus now. Quite excited. Must stay well!

• MrsD - good to hear you are back to trainingimage

• I'd be really interested to hear about the sorts of things you learned on your swim day, Maths

• Mathschick, we could form a little team for the run. My cycling is pretty slow and you are in the area, so will have no doubt done the cycle route in practice, I think we may be similar speed at swimming, but now you have gills, I may be slower, although have experience of Outlaw mass start OW swim.

Mrs D glad to hear you are back with us, I have a sprint lined up for middle of May.

I am going to do a few pilates moves to see how much it makes me cough, then will decide if I go to the class or stay home. At least today was a commute by train and bus, so I had a short nap on the train both to and from work.

• haha, I haven't got gills and will be terrified of the mass startimage

ok, the swimsmooth day - started really early, we looked at videos of different really good people swimming - Jono van Hazel Becky Adlington and others and had a general discussion about what efficient swimming looks like, went to the pool, we all got videoed indivdually, and observed each other, then did some drills etc. quick change and viewed everyone's video - interesting to see people that are way better than me having some of the same faults (head too high when breathing, legs too low). then another pool session. the drills that were really powerful for me were no. 1 scull and no. 2 scull - not sure if there are videos of them on the swimsmooth website, but they really helped me to feel how to push against the water and have an effective pull. Not saying my pull is amazing, but I actually have a much better idea of what my arms should be doing. talked about CSS and how to calculate it then how to use it in training.

steady - good idea and may just be what gets us through having to walk! SO long as we don't saunter along chattingimageimage 

• MC, I belong to a womens running club that is known for the ability of us women to run and talk at the same time, so we can run/walk and talk, might help speed up the 13.1 miles.

Mass start is terrifying and OK, well OK if you only get bashed once or twice. Picking your start point and having a little strategy is good, I will impart my little knowledge closer to the time, don't want everyone knowing my secrets.

• I think the start is in waves and the women go last, doesn't mean we won't get bashed though, as I learned at the club relays, the women can be just as violent/aggressive/competitive as the men!

• Ah, but my secret weapon is wait 3 seconds or so then start swimming, most of the aggressive/competitive ones are then in front and you can draft off them.

• Sounds like you two are all sorted and will make a great team image

Well after 3 naff weeks of training due to throat infection and snow, I have been determined that this week will be different. So today I managed 22 miles on the bike in 2 1/2hrs. image Haven't ridden that far in a couple of years and it included hills. Was on my hybrid and pretty slow but I was amazed at how much difference the wind really does make. It slowed me down by about 4mph in some place.

I don't have any races or time trails booked cos but I have managed to find two free days in my diary at the end of April so my plan is to cycle the 50 miles to Cambridge, stay overnight and then cycle home the next day and a main part of the Outlaw Half training.

• Good plan Chili, end of April is my birthday and the running club annual race. This year I may need to cycle to and from it as Outlaw training.

• Evening all.

Chili - get on the road bike!

11km with the club tonight. Tried to keep it in Z2 then did some pick-ups. 5 x 1min at race pace with 1min recovery. Good training benefit but not so knackering in the legs.

Maths, sounds like a great day.

• Cat - I'm still not very confident on my road bike and yesterday i was riding along the canal. Some parts of the path are quite muddy, will my road bike manage it without slipping? I guess the only way to find out is to try.

Short run done this morning on legs still a bit wobbley from yesterday's long (for me) bike ride. image

• chili - so long as you don't actually fall into the canal clipped onto your road bike you will be fine! I like your idea for cycling to Cambridge and back.

• I sucumbed to the lure of the outdoors and sunshine, I went for a brisk walk for 30 minutes approx. feel better but tired having done so.
    I have looked at my training plan and rejigged it to start properly again on Monday, going to take it easy for the first week then try upping the long bike rides, although if the weather is still rough I can see myself on the turbo.

• ok, have turboed today, am going to attempt a little treadmill run/walk later and a swim in the eveningimage

• I have attempted the turbo, very gentle session, lots of sitting up to aid the breathing and managed to get to 29 minutes before coughing. So I stopped at 30 mins, felt quite tiring and have definitely exercised the lungs.

Mr Steady is off to the osteopath to be straightened out, so half an hour to myself then cook dinner and sit infront of TV for the rest of the evening.

Tomorrow I plan to try a little run/walk.

• steady - sounds like you are not fully recovered so take things slowly

erm, in the pool this evening felt like I had never learnt to swim at all - probably the awareness of ALL the things that are wrong with my swimming - must focus on one thing at a time

tried a bit of forefoot striking running on the treadmill - kept my shoes on because I really couldn't be bothered with the faff of taking them off and putting them on,, but not convinced this is the way for me. knee starting aching and then the calf on the other leg too, so didn't do much!

• Hi All.

I see your point Chili. No point in trashing the bike or falling in the canal for the sake of riding the road bike, though you'll have to get out on it at some point.

Sounds like you're still under the weather Steady.

Maths, I learnt to run midfoot, but it did hurt the calves when I moved from the heel. I went too far forward to the toes and that really kills.

Rest day today for my mini taper.

• I am jealous though I have made a couple of run walks and 20 minute girlie turbos at slow speed. I am so grateful for anything I can get at the moment!

• Dustboy wrote (see)

I am jealous though I have made a couple of run walks and 20 minute girlie turbos at slow speed. I am so grateful for anything I can get at the moment!

Great to hear DB. You're on the up!

• Evening

Well done to everyone who has managed a turbo

Cat - what are you tapering for?

Only managed pilates class today. Long slow run tomorrow. Hoping the wind dies down a bit and I hope to do about 10 miles.