Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Horse and Me are signed up for Blackpool half marathon on 24Feb, anyone else in?
  • Well done Steady! image

MC - Have a great time tomorrow. Am rather envious of you training and learning with others.

However I did have a training partner this evenings. One of my 9yr old twins! She was lovely. We had a great time and survived the cold, rain, hail, thunder, lightening and the dark. I ran 10 miles and the cycled beside me chatting the whole way.

So in the past 7 days I have:
    swum 94 lengths (1 3/4 miles)
    cycled 43 miles
    run 15 miles
    1 pilates class

Am tired but still alive and so pretty pleased with that. Just 16 weeks until the race is it MC? Hope I can get my bike mileage up.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Hey alll!!! I'm back. Had a lovely holiday and wedding was lovely too. Unfortunately came back with a cold, again image and have felt rubbish all week. All I've done is 35 miles cycle commuting and half an hour walks at lunch time.

So, with my ill health, I've decided no HIM this year. Will do couple of sprints and an oly later when I learn to swim fc. Maybe try a 100mi ride. But main aim this year is to find a reason to all these colds and get rid of them for good. Never been this sickly in my life and it's getting pretty frustrating.

IronCat - nice Du result!

Everyone else - some good training/learning going on. Keep it up!

MC - sorry your knee still gives you trouble, hope you get it sorted.

• Hope you find the root cause Mikasa. My tri club is running a sprint tri (4th August) with many pirates attending. Come along!

Nice totals Chili. Amazing what you can do if you put your mind to it. My youngest now has a bigger bike so I hope to run with both kids at some point.

I hope the Masters trial went well MC. I've heard good things about Masters sessions.

I am now in the slowest lane on a Monday tri swim image. The previous slowest lane is now used to teach people how to swim. Friday's I move up to the middle lane though tonight I did 1:15 on the turbo with a main set of 2 x 20 minutes. All good practise for my next Du on the 16th.

• chili -- brilliant week training well doneimage dopn't worry about the bike mileage, I haven't really done any this week, and haven't cycled outside since the autumn!

Mikasa - could it be a nutrition thing? not eating as much as you should or eating the wrong things? or not getting enough iron? might be worth doing a food diary for a week and looking at what you eat. or maybe you work with loads of sick people? 

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

MC - I'm definitely looking into my nutrition. As I want to lose weight as well I've been keeping a food diary already and making healthier choices. I think part is my early mornings and commute and not enough rest though obviously lots of people do that and have no problems.

Good weekends training to all!!

• ah, not enough rest will do it! start going to bed earlier

• Hey all

Did pop in a while back to say hi but must try & get on more regularly. Normally post on the mums runners thread image

Did a novice tri last September & doing the 'wee tri' in Fort Willam n Mach. Need to find a sprint/ Olympic distance for later n the year in scotland. Been swimming today for the first time in a couple of months and did my longest swim ever, 70 lengths in 45 minutes so was pleased with that although I'm guessing that's fairly slow. Normally a runner, well jolly jogger more like & did my third marathon last year! None planned for this year as concentrating more on biking. Still recovering from a 24 hour MTB event two weeks ago, the 'strathpuffer' in case any of you have ever heard of it. Anyway enough about me....................image)

Mikasa- not enough rest will defo make your immune system fall apart.
  • I'd be very pleased with 70 lengths in 45 mins!

Thanks Cat and MC. Cat - my youngest is 6 next week, but still hasn't got the hang of riding her bike without stabilisers. Bit difficult cos it means I need to use the trailgator for even short family trips.

Mikasa, sorry to hear you are feeling so rough.

MC - well done on your swim training image

• Running free, you swim at my speed, no problem with that, not the fastest but also not the slowest.

Mikasa, rest and good quality food required.

Chili by using the trailgator it should in theory mean that without the excess behind you, on your road bike you will be flying along.

• 70 lengths in 45 mins is fab

chili - agree with steady - use the trailgator to build up strength in your legs!

I remember with my eldest teaching him to ride without stabilisers, I had to run along hanging onto him - now that was a good workout! 

• Do you think? Oh well that's ok then image must try & get to pool once a week and maybe try some drills from the book! Just downloaded Finks book onto iPad but so far have only read snippets.

Did 12 MTB miles this morning and 4 mile run this afternoon. Would do more if got the chance but its difficult fitting it in a round hubby & kids without getting moaned at too much!

My 3 girls are driving me totally demented today...................arghhhhhhhhh.

Chilli-they will eventually get it & just start riding but in the meantime yeah it's good for building leg strength!!!! I take my 2 year old in a trailer on the bike sometimes, hard work!!!

Started snowing here tonight , yech & kids on hols now for a week, I may go insane image
  • Did my LSR today in the rain and wind,, not so slow ran 10 miles in 1hr 35mins avg 9.33 min/m. It surprised me when I looked at my pace avg hr was 170 which is bang on my upper Z2 limit but it didn't feel that hard. Definately like running with music I tend to just plod along and not think about pace or the distance, it seems to suit me ok. A bit annoyed with myself for not keeping the pace under 9.30 in the last 2 miles but still happy with my run image
  • Wow Razor - that is a really good time.

Well done Runnin free - sounds like a good training day.

Horrible slushy stuff on roads and falling from sky at the moment. Hope it doesn't last over night.

• I'm turning into a real grump, but I DONT LIKE SNOW!!!!!!!!

Cycling is impossible, but I have just run 5 miles in the white stuff. Was very hard work. Guess that's going to be it today. Hope everyone else has a good day.

• I hate the snow

and the kids that throw snowballs

off to another masters swim session tonightimage

• Ran 5.6 miles tonight with Horse, 53 min avg pace 9.34 and felt really good after yesterday's run image

Swim tomorrow lunchtime and run in the evening.
  • Pancakes, yummy.  I did a Delia Smith recipe and used gluten free flour for Mr Steady, they tasted the same as normal ones.

I had a short turbo session, followed by a quick change and dash up to the village hall for an hour of pilates. The journey home from work was frustrating, the bus driver decided to stop and wait because he was running early, then got held up with some roadworks, so I missed the train and had to wait 30 mins for the next one. Grrr. But at least I did some cycling, I am finding my wrists are aching, so will need to practise using the aerobars more, even though they feel a bit uncomfortable for the back.
    Hope to be able to get to early morning swim, but will see what the weather is in the morning.

• Well I am up to 25 miles on the road bike. Was freezing. This week my snickers bar, water bottle and toes froze. Very slightly quicker on the road bike, but not noticably. Still took me 2 1/2hrs image very disappointing. But I am getting stronger, and definitely feel fitter.

• Chili, stick Snickers in back pocket next to skin, use a thermos in your bottle cage if you can fit one and buy some Sealskinz socks/neoprene overshoes. Or other brand etc etc etc.

Cycling in winter is never fast, or very nice.

• chili - well done, that is a brilliant ride on a freezing day

I turboed this morning. had to cancel my physio appointment as the roads were just too bad, and looks like I won't be able to get to the pool this evening.

hope this is the last of the snow now, I am fed up with it!

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Nice biking Chili!

No snow here. And glad about that. Still just cycling to work but going to vb training tonight.

• Ran just under 4 miles tonight in the snow, pace was bit slower due to the slippery conditions but it was an enjoyable run, finished off with a long soak in the bath to thaw out image
  • mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Where do you guys live who have snow?

When I started cycling back from training last night, I felt something wasn't quite right. A flat tyre! 4 mile walk back home with my cleats, feet were sore when I finally got home. Couldn't be asked to change it so took my mtb out today. Tyres on that are so noisy on the road!

• Mikasa .....I live in Manchester, we had snow yesterday but its all gone this morning.

Bad luck on the puncture image
  • We had some snow in Germany, but back home now. I'm back out Snday night and was entered in to Althorp Du this Sat. It has been postponed due to weather image - not such a bad decision plus I could do with the extra week or two. BUT.... we have a wedding at 1230 on the same day, and it is a European qualifier. Not sure I can do it now image

• Cat .... If you don't go to the wedding you will get loads of ear ache off her indoors.image

2K swim done at lunchtime in 41 minutes .
  • Razor51 wrote (see)
    Cat .... If you don't go to the wedding you will get loads of ear ache off her indoors.image

2K swim done at lunchtime in 41 minutes .

I could make the reception...?

2kmin 41 minutes?? Were you drafting Meldy? have you been secretly training? image