Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• I fel t abit like that after we did lunges on a hill session. Never again.

• mikasa - ouch, rest up and foam roller?

well, starting to feel a bit better after this awful cold, so hoping that an early night tonight will mean that I will make swimming in the morning. Haven't done anything since Sunday

• Ouch Mikasa, that does sound painful. Can you take Ibuprofen? Don't know if it will help but just a thought.

Well, my week has been plagued with headaches, migranes and sleeplessness, so I'm feeling a rough and a bit spacy. But I have just done a 10 mile run. And I have parkrun in the morning.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Thanks guys.

Steady - I had to take the lift down one floor today too, there was no way I was going to walk down.

MC - hope you kick the cold soon and get to your swimming.

Chili - oh dear, that doesn't sound too good  either. Well done on the run!

Unfortunately, I'll have to go to the match now as someone else just pulled out and we only have the minimum number. I did warn the coach though that I might just be there to make numbers on court and not do anything. 

On my first two long runs my legs were pretty smashed but nothing like this, this is totally different. Must try to do bit of stretching and ice later. Had a cold bath again as find that works better.

• I've been looking at last years results for the race I'm doing in April, 26 people did it, 8 men and 18 women...I'd have never thought that boys would be in the minority!

When I entered I was asked to put in my estimated times for the swim.  I put in a really slow time (16 minutes) because I was struggling in the pool.  It's starting to click now and I'm down to 11 minutes for 16 lengths and I'm hoping to get it under 10 minutes by the race day...should I email the organisers and say I put the wrong time in or doesn't it matter?

pete_inthehills

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

When you register in plenty of time on the day, tell them you have improved and what time you now do, they will either move your start time or not worry as the others will probably have also improved their times to a greater or lesser degree. They ask for the time so they can roughly allocate people in the pool of a similar speed. If the really fast ones went with slow ones, there would be so much overtaking it would be dangerous and or frustrating.
    The etiquette in a pool race is that if you are much faster and catch the person in front, tap their toes and at the end of the length they should stop and let you go past. It keeps it safe for all the swimmers as there are normally 3 per lane, set off at 20 second intervals.

• 1K Swim at lunchtime in 21.34 getting to grips with it now and feeling better image
  • Ok, another silly question...how does the swimming start? Do i dive in? Or start in the pool?

I will need to practise diving in if thats the start method
  • All the sprint starts I have seen/done have been started in the pool. There are usually other people in the lane and they don't want you crashing down on them. You all queue up at the side of the pool, jump or go down the steps to get in one at a time, hold on to the side, look up to the starter, he says 5,4,3,2,1 go and off you go.

• morning everyone

still not feeling right so not going to go swimming image but going to get out for a walk even if it is a slow one, the sun is out already and it would be a shame not to go out and get some fresh air even if it isn't proper training. Better than housework any dayimage

only 3 months till Outlaw half, gulpimage

• oh, Pete - might be an idea to drop them an email with your new time, although if there are only around 18 people again it won't matter much, but if there are a lot more, you don't want to get stuck swimming with people that going much slower than you

and like dustboy, the pool sprints I have done, you get in the pool and hang on to the side while the starter counts down to start you off, diving and tumble turns normally not allowed so you don't need to worry about learning them

• Pete - sounds like your swimming is going well image

Parkrun this morning and my No.2 girl set a new PB! image So am very proud of her.

Was talking to the husband of a friend this morning who is cycling London to Paris in April. 80 miles a day. He cycles to work every day 16 miles. But so far the longest he has biked is 25 miles. I didn't say anything but that doesn't sound very far to me. If I was doing that kind of venture I'd want to be going quite a bit furhter by now. Or is it a case of having a good level of fitness and then pushing through it on the day(s)? What do other folk think?

• chili - I am with you, if I was going to do London Paris then I would want to be doing some longer rides - he is going to suffer a bit. It is not just about having a bit of fitness, it is the endurance. It is like running a marathon when all you normally do is 4 mile runs - you just haven't got the endurance to do it. You might manage, but it will be painful

• Thanks for all your help and advice. I was trying to show off to the wife in the pool today with my super fast lengths and got 3/4 down the pool and realised that i'd forgotten to breathe...i hope i don't do that in the race...5 minutes of coughing won't help my times.

Next week i'm going online for some tri-shorts and a tri-belt...i wonder how silly i'll look in tri-shorts?
  • you won't look silly at all because everyone will be wearing themimage

• Pete, look on " My Triathlon" for More Mile Tri suits, the shorts and top are the best option as its easier if you need the loo. image
  • Hi All,

Mikasa - how are you today? Good swimming Pete & Razor. How are you Maths?
    Pete - we all look silly in lycra!

Nice PB for the family Chili! I'd definitely be doing the 80 miles weekly, and the odd 100 miler. He is going to be in pain...

I raced yesterday - Althorp duathlon, a GB qualifier for the ETU champs in Holland and the ITU champs in Canada. It was supposed to be on Feb 16th, but was postponed to yesterday.

I travelled up Friday and stayed locally in a hotel, using some points I'd collected. Following Team Sky's incremental gains, I took my own pillow. Like most nights in hotels it didn't seem to work, and sleep was fitful. 6AM alarm call didn't ring, good job I set my own alarm.

Some porridge pots for breakfast then drove to the race. Registered then took the bike for a spin. Legs felt heavy. Racked bike and went for a run, legs felt heavier.

Some faffage, some coffee and then time to go.

Run1, 5km: First km was uphill - road then grass. Through a churchyard then on to a road, undulating for a few km. 3km was a tight turn and incline on to a muddy track for 1.5km then in to the transition field for a loop on grass.Hard work, and probably overcooked it. I started on the second row back, and spent most of the first 2km with people overtaking me. Got overtaken by first female just before transition. In to T1 for 18m43s.

T1: Twat hat on, trainers off, run off with bike. Bike shoes attached to bike image.40s.

Bike, 20km. First km uphill along side run, overtook first female! Then undulating. Didn't really settle down, but felt ok. Tight R calf/hamstring was evident. Some overtaking, some being overtaken. Surged on the uphills but could not maintain on the downhills or flat. A long dull stretch on a dual carriageway was reminiscient of Outlaw. Back in to T2 at 36:43. I'd taped my shoe vents up to keep my feet warm and wore long socks. Even so it was hard to get feet out of shoes.

T2: Bike racked, helmet off, dumped glasses and then went back to dump gloves. Silly. 39s.

Run2, 5km: Same route as Run#1. First km was sloow by comparison, struggled up but knew once I was out of the churchyard I could catch my breathe.I could feel small sharp pins sticking in to my calves from cramps, but not as severe as I've had before. Ran faster downhill but legs were painful. Struggled through the run. First and second female overtook me, and I couldn't catch the guy infront either. I always prefer someone to chase, and once I overtake I struggle to maintain pace. Sprint for the line, and it didn't seem to get any closer. Run2 finish for 19:51, 1:16:42 overall.

20th in AG and 76 - quite a long way down compared to Dorney, even for a similar time. All the fast people were there image.

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Well done IronCat.
    I did another 2 hour turbo. Decided to put the resistance setting down to 1, it had been on 3. and pedalled away to Ride Harder 3 which is 1.5 hours then carried on a bit slower and gentler for the last half hour.
    My speed today was 13.xx mph, but not sure if I should put the resistance up a bit. Today I could use the big front ring for the hard bits, normally that is too hard and I use the middle front one. I know on treadmill you put it on a 1% incline to mimic outdoors but is it the same for a turbo?
    I know that cycling is my weakest sport and in a few weeks time I will be riding in the great outdoors again, but I might just have to wait and suprise myself when I get back on the road and see if this hard work is helping.

• well done Ironcat

I am loads better today, but opted to stay in bed instead of getting up and turbo - think I must have needed the sleep. Did a bit of treadmill and bike in the gym this afternoon and just back from club swim

Steady - I am sure the turbo will be making lots of difference. I need to sort out getting my bike serviced soon as I will too willl be heading outdoors on it soonimage

• wow, well done IronCat, I like the story of your duathlon, it really brings it home to us newbies what we're letting ourselves in for.

• pete_inthehills wrote (see)

wow, well done IronCat, I like the story of your duathlon, it really brings it home to us newbies what we're letting ourselves in for.

Ta Pete. Triathlons are soo much easier for the run - no cramp in the legs. Though trying to cycle with no blood in your legs or head can be fun!

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Well done on the Du Ironcat!

MC - glad you're taking it easy.

Chili - congrats on family PB!

Well, you were right. I shouldn't have played. Can still feel my quads although going down stairs is a lot easier. But, for my efforts, I now have a sprained ankle! Nothing too serious but that's probably paid to any exercise this week. Rubbish! image

• Nice times Cat, well done...

• Well done Cat! image Did you make it to the wedding too?

Oh no Mikasa! Hope you heal soon.

13 mile bike ride this morning in the sun. Was very nice and I think I fractionally faster.

• Chilibean wrote (see)

Well done Cat! image Did you make it to the wedding too?

Oh no Mikasa! Hope you heal soon.

13 mile bike ride this morning in the sun. Was very nice and I think I fractionally faster.

Ta. I got to the reception on time as agreed with Mrs Cat5, then did the diligent driving husband thing. A very loong day in all.

Heal well Mikasa. Another good bike Chili, well done!

• Hi everyone - I hope it's okay if I jump in here?  I'm a complete novice and I've entered for a Fun Triathlon (same distances as a Super Sprint I think) in July.

I've found training plans etc, but I was wondering if it was ok to hang around with you for a bit?  My training should start this week and I have a long way to go!

Do any of you train exclusively in the gym/pool?  Or is that a daft question?

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Welcome Mid life wobbler. We all started somewhere and I did a Tri-a- tri first.

I do not train exclusively in the gym/pool, mainly because I don't like gyms but will use it if the weather is bad for a long time, my local leisure centre has PAYG gym use, but pool is perfectly OK  for practise as the OW season is only April to Sept.

What is your sporting background?

• Welcome along MLW! I swim in pools, with some open-water in the summer. Like Steady I don't really like gyms and much prefer to run or ride outside. If I'm away with work I may use a gym bike but always try to run outside. If it's icy then I'll probably turbo indoors for the bike instead of running or cycling.

This quarter most of my weekday riding has been on the turbo, but that's because I can get a better session than on the road.

If you hang around too long you'll end up doing longer triathlons.... image

• evening all

mikasa - ouch, ice and rest, hope it heals quickly

welcome mid life wobbler. 

off to masters swim in a bit

• Sporting background?  Well, I was sporty as a child/teen, but found the lure of fast food and chocolate too much and am pretty overweight now.   I'm not proud of it, and I really do need to address my lack of fitness, hence the challenge.

I was good at archery - does that count? image

I will be using the gym for at least the next two months - I don't live in the nicest area and I need to be fit enough to run away from trouble before I go out "on the streets"!

Thanks for the replies - I'm already hooked on the forums image