Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

MC, I felt the same after an early swim this morning. I did a mile in 41 mins. Tiring day in meetings, done the chores but too tired to spin the legs on the turbo. Shoulders aching.

Pete inthehills - I tried a strawberry flavoured drink, now I just stick to chocolate milkshake, much nicer. Good work on the hills.

• Nesquick tonight after my run.

• Second bike tonight. Yay! Average went up by .5mph. Yay! Might do Frimley Parkrun Saturday. Cat5, might you be there (or is that too lowly for you?)image.

• Dustboy wrote (see)

Second bike tonight. Yay! Average went up by .5mph. Yay! Might do Frimley Parkrun Saturday. Cat5, might you be there (or is that too lowly for you?)image.

To quote MrsCat "No you can't, tell him to sod off". So I guess not image

• Oh dear Cat - not under the cosh are you? image

• To quote MrsCat "No you can't, tell him to sod off". So I guess not image

Lol, this made me laugh as I had a similar conversation with "her in-doors" about my training...I have to do my training during my lunch hour or while the family are in bed...6.30am 20K cycle anybody...?

Luckily living up here in Aberdeenshire we'll soon be having daylight from 3am to 11pm so there will be plenty of time for training whilst everyone is in bed...image

• PO.dds: feel the fear, do it anyway wrote (see)

Oh dear Cat - not under the cosh are you? image

No, no, no, yes. To be fair, we're trying to sell the house, so have to host viewings, do viewings, spend time with kids, etc. Plus last weekend was complicated. And I've just told her how much the AG trip will cost image

pete_inthehills wrote (see)
    To quote MrsCat "No you can't, tell him to sod off". So I guess not image

Lol, this made me laugh as I had a similar conversation with "her in-doors" about my training...I have to do my training during my lunch hour or while the family are in bed...6.30am 20K cycle anybody...?

Luckily living up here in Aberdeenshire we'll soon be having daylight from 3am to 11pm so there will be plenty of time for training whilst everyone is in bed...image

No if it was flat 20km would be quite quick, but oop North? Maybe not... I was in Inverness one April and the early/lat light was interesting. A week in Finland in July was less impressive and slightly more tiring!

Once the clocks went forward last spring I was out at 6am most mornings running or cycling. Do it for a week or so and it becomes habit. Most of the IM trainng was done before breakfast, during lunch or late at night.

• Well done Mr Cat, that is highly impressive. Congrats all round. DB continues his comeback. Good work gentlemen!
    MC - hope the knee holding up. OH has promised me some sufferfest, I think I'm pleased? 

Long days and tiredness scuppered Wed and yesterday. Need to crack on not too many weeks left till Cotswold. 
    Mikasa - how's the injuries coming along?

• So, Cat5, how can we get you faster then to properly do well. Relay bike rides? 5 riders. Each one goes 2 miles flat out in turn and you have to keep up with all of them?

I think Barhatch Lane must become part of your repping. It goes up a lot. For a lot, well, forever actually.

Relay 3 * 400s in Thorpe Lake? Each one does one lap, except you, who has to do all of them.

• Afternoon

Well done DB. And hope your first parkrun back goes well too.

Bet Aberdeenshire is pretty.

Cat - I'm sure your wife is very proud of you but trying to train around young children/family life is a real challenge isn't it?

This morning a friend asked me to go out cycling with her. it was pretty slow cos she was on a mountain bike. But I did 20 hilly miles.

• hi

MrsD - I love the sufferfest workouts/videos. My current favourite is downward spiral

pete - I do most of my training very early, easiest way to fit it in around family and work. 

I did 30 mins of run 2 walk 2 on the treadmill, think the knee is ok with that, but will foam roller and massage my knee later so that it is happy for swimming. I am trying to get a bit of a balance between trying to do a little bit of running if it feels ok and not aggravating it to pevent me cycling and swimming

I got the new Fink Book - strength training and nutrition for endurance athletes, and tried to do some of the exercises in the gym, but realised I wasn't entirely sure how to do some of them properly (hadn't taken the book with me, had scribbled on a bit of paper). Will try to google some videos later to see if I can figure out, and practice at home with OH watching to see if I am doing the same as the video - should be amusiing

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Well done Chili, I have forgotten what hills are. I tried to do the session I skipped yesterday, Finks 1 hour 90+ cadence in HR zone 1. I managed 45 mins then the shin started aching, so I stopped. Bit pissed off as I thought I had got rid of shin pains.

Tomorrow is a rest day, FiL visit but will be busy enough, putting up a curtain rail and doing some garden clearing.

Hope to do my long ride on Sunday.

• weather forecast here is freezing and snow for Sunday, and we are orienteering with scouts at 10 am, so I think my long ride is going to be on the turbo - shame as I really wanted to be outside by March, but I am not risking it on icy roads in the dark early morning

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

MC, good point, my weather forecast is just cold, so I will probably turbo, then I am helping out a couple of ladies from the running club on their 18 mile long run, by being at a certain point to make sure they take the correct path and not get lost and so ending up doing an unintentional 20. At least I get to run with them for a mile, we can have a good gossip.

I really need to get out on the roads, my duathlon is on the 24th.

• my first tri is in April - I really hope the weather starts to improve soon

• Aberdeenshire can be nice.  Clear cold nights, no sound or light pollution, millions of stars and occasionally the northern lights flicker over head.  And in the summer, day light all day, the hills are lovely.  But on the cloudy winter days when it never seems to get light or blizzards hit and the drifts are bigger than the car, then it's less nice until I'm home by the fire.  And last summer it never stopped raining...

does everyone have a turbo trainer?

• I have a turbo which I was given last summer but I have never used it. First of all the christmas tree was in the place I would have set it up. Then we got a piano from freecycle so I have braved the cold and wind and rain instead. But I do live down near London and not Scotland.

MC - does Fink say anything interesting on nutrition?

• chili - haven't read it all yet, but yes, and there is a chapter called 'no excuses - just get lean'. Pretty sure I shouldn't be eating cake but never mindimage

• Pete, this quarter was about sitting on the turbo and getting some bike 'hurt'. I've gone through my log and see that I've ridden outside 5 times this year, 2 of which were races. The rest had been hour long hard sessions.

No holiday Steady - though will aim to combine the champs with some work travel. Mrs will be at home with the kids again. Chili hits it on the head once more!

Enjoy the parkrun DB. I'll try to get a pink chit for next weekend.

• Where are the Euros this year Cat?

And you're quite right of course that it's all about balancing everything and keeping everyone happy - although I have to say I'm very happy not to have to include kids in the equation for my part as I have enough problems balancing everything else!!

• Horst, in the Netherlands.

• Pitifully slow Parkrun, knew I was out of condition when I eventually caught the 30 minute pacer at just under half way. LOL

• At least you did catch him!!

IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

Horst, in the Netherlands.

Hmmm - and when would that be my feline friend?

• Well done DB! image

My Big Girl decided she was going for a PB this morning. Told me I was too slow and zoomed ahead to find a faster partner and finished in an amazing 26:59. That is officially faster than my parkrun PB! image

• wow, chilli well done to your girl!

I have done spinning, swimming and a 2 hour fast walk. Going to sleep well tonight I thinkimage

• Well done Team CHili! Good day for you too MC.

Dustboy wrote (see)

Pitifully slow Parkrun, knew I was out of condition when I eventually caught the 30 minute pacer at just under half way. LOL

You got out there, and it'll come back quickly.

PO.dds: feel the fear, do it anyway wrote (see)
    IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

Horst, in the Netherlands.

Hmmm - and when would that be my feline friend?

21st April. I'm sure it was 7 weeks, but is probably 6 now image

45km out on the bike today. 6th outdoor bike ride this year, and second longest.

• Hello? Has anyone been snowed in? We just had a few flurries here but soooooo cold with a terribly bitter wind. Couldn't cope with cycling in it. So just did a 5 mile run instead.

• Saw some snow today go past the window. A lot of snow infact. Didn't settle though.

12 km last night in the cold Brr!

• Indeed, snow flurries all day and bitterly cold. Made very sure hair was dry after swimming today. Respect to those braving the cold. Will be me tomorrow on the bike.