Options

Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    1500 swim done last night nice and steady image
  • Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

I took an extra rest day yesterday, headache all day and when I got home from work felt so cold I ended up wearing 2 sweatshirts to keep warm and  fell asleep before 10pm.

Today I did a short sharp Ride Harder session for 40 mins. Tomorrow the plan is swim first thing, haircut, shopping and a 2.5 hour turbo or may go outdoors to ride subject to the weather and how I feel.

Razor its good to see you like my type of swimming, steady.

• Options

Geocaching this afternoon with the kids. Shattered!

• Options

Went for 4.3 mile run this morning in the lovely sunshine and then went and collected my new bike from the lbs and road it home before the weather packed it in.  

• Options

three weeks tomorrow I do my first triathlon.  To say that I'm getting a bit nervous is an understatement.  It would be closer to say I'm getting a bit ..."aarrgghhh oh no oh no, what if I can't find my bike, what if I get lost on the cycling, what if my noseclips falls off on the first length, what if I get disqualified for something stupid..arrgghhh...."

I'm definitely getting the jitters.  Do I get changed at the event or drive over in my tri-shorts (which haven't come yet-stupid internet), what do I do after racking my bike? do I get my race number thing on the day? what if it doesn't fit on my race belt (which hasn't come yet-stupid internet). Do I register first and then rack up or what?  The organisers haven't responded to any emails...

OK OK, deep breaths, I'm calm.....NOT!

• Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Pete in the hills - deep breath, repeat deep breath.

You will get an email a week or two before the event. It should tell you what to do.

Normally first thing is to register, ask there if still unsure of anything. Then rack the bike, you will probalby also get your number marked on arm and leg at the time. Remember only race entrants are allowed in transition area.

You can arrive in dressed ready to go or change once there.

If your noseclip falls off on the first length ( mine broke just before I got in the water) all you can do is swim concentrating hard on blowing air out of your nose rather than mouth and nowing that the swim will be a tiny bit slower than hoped for.

• Options

pete - which one are you doing? All the ones I have done have plenty of people around in the transition area to help you figure out where and how to rack your bike. It will all be fine.

• Options
    Pete, read my race report of my first triathlon on page 55 on this thread if you want a laughimage
  • Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

I have turboed but not for as long as I should have. Did one hour and 5 minutes, could not get in the mood, but some is better than none.

today I discovered I have 2 speeds of swimmining, steady and faster but can only manage 25m.

• Options

Hurrah, nasty nights done. Did not train once due to them being horrendous and already over tired. So, this week gotta get on track. Started with 40min run tonight. 

Calm Pete, there will be loads of people in the same boat. You'll find many people asking each other the same questions. Just try to enjoy it! 
    Nice one Cat and Razor! 
    Woop Woop Suckit on the new bike. Love getting new shiny things.
    How are the injuries our Maths? You seriously cannot catch a break. 
    Steady, at least you have 2 speeds! 

Excited now, no more night shifts until after May. Have a week off to recoup. Bring it on! 

• Options

Don't worry Pete. You'll be fine. Chillax.

A good dau of training everyone. Last club winter ride included a cake stop. A tad under 100km in the bag. image

• Options
    Carr Hill sprint tri in the morning looking forward to it, off to bed now got to pick Horse up at 6.45. Will do a race report as soon as I can. image
  • Options

Good luck Razor and Horse. SMASH IT!

• Options
    Cheers Cat, we will do our best image
  • Options

Good luck Razor and Horse. Hope you remembered to pop your clocks forward! 

• Options

razor and horse, hope the tri went well - bit cold for getting out of water and onto a bike so hope you have kept warm

MrsD - as it is the same leg I am sure it is all related, and to be honest isn't the first time I have had this kind of soreness in the anterior tibialis and ankle, even well before the knee problem. Funny thing is the ankle only hurts when I walk, not when I run - but then maybe that is my new style of running doesn't put the same stresses on my legs as the old style

going to have a trip to sweatshop tomorrow to look at shoesimage

• Options
    -4c when I got up image. -2c when I came out of the pool, couldn't feel my feet when I got off the bike but the run went well unofficial time , 400mt swim. 10.09, T1 8.05 ( will explain in race report) 26k bike 57.52, 6.4k run (+t2) 37.38. Total unofficial time 1.47.44, pleased with the time for first one of the season. image
  • Options

Hey, thanks for all the comments.  I did like the description of your first triathlon, no doubt I'll do something silly, probably leave my glasses at the side of the pool and have to go back for them...I've been watching youtube videos on how to do fast mount and dismount of your bike at the line, but I'm just going to get on/off normally, I don't think my times will be such that a couple of seconds here and there will make any difference.  I'm going to print out a list of instructions to leave with my bike so that I remember to put my helmet on before touching my bike and remembering to take it off again before the run.  Oddly, I'm not worried about the fitness levels, I know I can get round, I just worry about doing something stupid.

If I haven't heard anything by one week before the race, I'll give them a call.  I'm sure it'll be fine.  I hope to go see the course next weekend just so that I know where to go, where to cycle and where to run...that should put me at ease.

• Options

PITH, worry about the helmet, nothing else. And if you do happen to wear your swim goggles for the whole race, laugh about it. If you do the run sockless, suggest a smidgeon of Vaseline on the heels of your running shoes. 

I've been trying to get my running up to the mark again. Done 3 10Ks this week, this mornings was the club 10K handicap. Sub 55 minutes by a few seconds, which I am really pleased about.  So far, everything else seems to be holding out but scraping 200 on the HRM in the last 50 yards is probably not the way I should be doing things. image

Good work Razor, look forward to explanation of record T1 a bit later!

• Options

Maths - always a good excuse for new stuff! Hope it all settles down, how's the running going?
    DB is right Pete, just get your helmet sorted! Fnar Fnar! DB continues onwards and upwards. Good running, look after that ticker though!

Good work Razor, look forward to the report!

Well, first time out on the bike today. Was lovely out. Managed 10miles in 45mins. Hoping the weather holds to get out some more. Good weekend all round. 
    Happy Easter everyone!!!!!

• Options

razor - well done, looking forward to the report

well, been out for a 10 mile fast walk/mince, just got back and my fingers are so cold I am having trouble typing. However, I did go up and down a half mile hill 6 times, so I am pretty sure I will be able to walk the half marathon next week, I did the same one last year, it will be interesting to see whether my walking is faster than my running spped last year - don't think there will be much in it, which says a lot for my fitness levels I thinkimage

MrsD - just doing short run/walks on the treadmill at the moment a couple of times a week - reckon it is best to keep it at that, and on the treadmill as there is less impact than outside on the roads. paths and fields here just too muddy to run through at the moment

• Options

Pete - DB speaks sense as usual. Years of experience see?

Great news on the running DB.

Too much rich food today - roast dinner, hot cross bun bread & butter pudding then some chocolate. Also lemon merangue pie. image

Taps feet impatiently for Razor image

• Options
    Right here we go, Carr Hill sprint tri, this was a low key fund raiser for the school so only a small field of 45 entrants.

As I said earlier -4c when we left home and hadn't warmed up much when we started -3c so we made the decision to completly change after the swim than risk catching a cold and suffering for weeks and buggering up the training program hence the lengthy T1

Swim,

Just me and Horse in our lane so off we went me first H 10 secs later 18 lengths as the pool wasn't 25 mts, stated off steady and got into a nce rythm and the lengths soon passed out of the swim in 10.09 , H, in 10.12 and into the changing rooms ( decided to stay warm whilst we changed into all dry clothes ) out of the pool and onto the bike.

Bike

H, 1 1/2 minutes in front of me, out of the car park and onto the road to meet the first obstacle, temp road works had to ride down the pedestrian way and off again . The roads were very quiet and well marshalled at the major junctions and turns.after the first mile there is a u turn around the roundabout where I saw H coming towards me and looking strong, the wind started to pick up a bit on the open stretches or road and the sun was very low in the sky making it hard to see where I was going, started to settle down on the big ring and down on the earo bars snd moving along at 18- 20 mph then whoosh a guy on a TT bike complete with twat hat flew past me as if I was stopped, hey ho just carry on and grit my teeth, into the last third now and met the first decent sized hill, got out of the saddle for the climb but found it difficult due to the really bad road surface, pot holes and patchwork tarmac, managed to get up it ok in the end and back down on the bars for the nice downhill .Nice easy section back to T2, shoesand helmet off and trainers on and off I go. Bike51.04

Run

Set off and immiedatly and thought I'd left my legs behind ( this was my first brick since November) and I couldnt feel my feet , they were like blocks of ice, and then realised I hadn't put my gloves on so hands were freezing as well anyway got myself going with a short stride till my legs came back, after about 1k I felt ok so upped the pace a bit and was feeling good, said thanks to the freezing marshall on the corner turned left and downthe hill for about 300 ts along the flat then was confronted by a hill about 1k long so gritted my teeth and pushed on up it passing 2 people on the way and back fown the other side round the corner and lap 1 done, lap 2 felt a lot better , legs were ok and managed to pass 3 more, but was passed by at least 8people myself, kept it going to the last turn and even managed a decent sprint to the line where H was cheering me in. Run 37.38 inc T2

Total time 1.48.04

Pleased with the time overall there is a good 8 minutes there in T2 which I could have got rid of but we made the decision to keep warm so we could enjoy it on the day which turned out to be the best thing as others who ran in wet trisuits were blue with cold at the finish.

Horse finished in 1.38.01, he was 7 mins faster on the bike but only 1 1/2 mins faster on the run so happy with that.

We had a good day and for the first of the season I thought we did ok Horse finished 30, me 35 out of 45 .The only downside was the split transition a s the pool was 1/2 mile away but for the organiser it was the first tri he had put on so hats off to him for great effort on his part for putting it together and well done to the marshalls.
  • Options

"Down on the earo bars". Bloody hell, that's an aggressive riding position. Do they like, hook round your ears like glasses then?image

Good effort dude.

• Options

-3C? I think they grow them hard where you come from Razor!! 

• Options
    Aye, we're tough up norf image
  • Options

well done razor - good call on using the changing rooms, better to have a long transition than suffer with hypothermia which I am guessing would have been a real risk in those temperatures

• Options
    Maths , thats what we thought, better to enjoy it than suffer it, had great day as times were'nt that important as this was more of a training day and to get back into tri mode.