Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Chilli... Nice running

Pete.... Take it easy mate don't overdo it.

ST..... Fancy getting whooped by your 7 yr old (pathetic)  image

MrsD.... From now on excuses are not permitted so I don't want to hear any, ok.image

Knocking over a minute off my Parkrun in the last 2 runs I think I'm entitled to show off image

• Well done all, great training and recovering going on, Mrs D you'll be great next weekend, which one are you doing ?

I have felt flat all week, no energy or motivation, I set off late this morning for a long cycle, I planned on doing 70 miles but decided to see how I feel as had achy legs all week, I ended up doing 45 miles and it was a struggle all the way, I had a head wind most of the way round and felt really tired, glad I did it though, I could have easily not gone and come up with some excuse, was going to go to my first swim sesh with Cov Triathletes tonight but there's no chance, I'm horizontal for the night with a nice cuppa and some bikkies image 

• Some days you're the bee, some days you're the windscreen JB image I've had that before generally has to with my nutrition not being on target or I'm sick.  Mmmm bikkies - Mrs Crimbles gf macaroons are my downfall image

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Well dear forumites, no training done this weekend (hell of a lot of stairs climbed up though) as I'm going to be moving down to Southampton in a month's time and we did the first run to get some stuff over there! So training will be on hold as I have no job lined up that way yet. Have checked up Southampton tri club though and will be living stone's throw away from the parkrun. Gotta get your priorities right,eh?! image

• No job = more time to train Mikasa!! image Priorities image

• Razor he's fast lol image

• Pete nice one.

Mikasa there is a race nearish southampton well nowhere near attcually but have to go through southampton to get to it on a train. If you fancy some running you might be interested in something called the grizzy in Dorset. It's hilly and muddy you will love it.image

ST get training or I will have to throw chocolate at you!

• is there actually muhc point in training for a short tri if you plan on racing longer in the same year?

i ahve done a sprint, a oly and in a few weeks a HIM and i havent really prepared in a different way - just longer runs and bike sessions.

is it all going to come crashing down around me?

• Bud worth coming on the thread anyway there are some cool kids about here. image

• everyone is cool on this forum - thought that was a given image

• He's right you know image

• Well done all there is a lot of positives to draw as always!

ST- he is only going to get faster

MrsD- I'm always on the look out for some more excuses.

I managed to complete the my first Olympic distance triathlon in London yesterday.

Is it normal for the swim to resemble a scrum? I've played rugby all my life so was used to the being struck from every direction possible. I found myself trying to steer clear from the scrum but that was easier said than done. The buoys weren't the biggest so I just followed the crowd and mass of splash in front of me knowing that at least I was going in the right direction. When I eventually finished I was helped out and then rushing to get my wetsuit off and stuff it in to a plastic bag. As I’m jogging along with the Santa sack in tow I was then greeted by a set of stairs which was the start of what seemed like the longest transition known to man! Up the stairs, the longest possible route to T1 and the swim was done.

Bike at my side running to the mount line I quickly hopped on and began to make up the places I knew I had to as the swim is by far my weakest section. As I just about got myself set in the saddle down a sharp hill and round a corner in the what seemed like darkness thanks to my shades I was greet by "slow down, water" from a marshal. I didn't take too much notice and raced through the wet corners with the best racing line possible. "I'm not slowing down for water I need all the speed I can get". A few cheeky slopes rather than hills on the bike, I was straight out the saddle thinking these tree trunk legs need to make up for all that extra weight they bring! Didn't crash didn’t get a big DQ so the bike was drawing to an end and I was feeling tired but ok. Rookie error of trying to dismount too quickly to be met with a massive bit of cramp down the right hamstring. "OK I’ll try that a little slower" I thought, this time my leg was more compliant. Jogged in to T2, bike ditched, shoes on ready to see what my legs would give me.

School boy error number 1 when I ran the wrong way for about 10m down transition to then have to turn around looking like a right pleb! Started steady and waited for my body to realise that I'm wanting it to run. I tried to gradually pick the pace up but my legs weren't having any of it. Cramp and twitches were a regular occurrence from the 2nd lap onwards. Entering the final lap I took advantage of the Maxifuel stands free gels, not sure if it was the offering of free editable products (something that I rarely turn my snout up at) or the beaming smile of the eye candy handing them out image. ***Warning*** Viper gels are designed to be lime flavour, these products however will turn your face inside out. Wow that made sure I was awake! Trying to pick the pace up on the final lap grinning like an idiot as I got closer to the finish, feet bleeding, legs feeling the deep burn and I even managed a sprint(ish) finish. 2:43:39 splits 38:03, 1:10:24 and 48:41.

Chuffed to bits and can't wait to get under 2:30. One day. One day

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Well done Kritter on your race! Great times, great report!

Cake - will have a look at that though not sure when I'll be 'racing' next. Did have a quick look and Gosport half mara is end of November. Wondering if I can get my fitness up by then as only £16.

And on that note, went for my first run since end of May. Just 1.8miles, could have gone further but went with a new work colleague; we'll be soon up to at least 3.

• Mikasa it's not till Jan. Special race so throught best to mention.

Kritter Well done mate. For athe scum it's a common thing for open water if there are a lot of people setting off at the same time. London from what I've heard is always packed so you probably won't get many that bad again. I used to play leugue so quite enjoy it and lucky for me my swimming is cr*p so never in it to long. image

• Well done kritter, hope you aren't too sore today. Would you recommend London for novices, thinking of it for next year as my sister lives close by 

• mathschickmathschick ✭✭✭

Well done kritter enjoyed reading  your report. 

Had my first holiday run today and kept it short because all paths were steep up and down- beautiful place to run though.

Sea swim too but forgot to  take my Goggles so just did breaststroke

• Thanks Emsi and Mathschick, not too sore but I certainly feel like I did something yesterday - enough to have a couple of days off anyway!

I have great intensions for holiday running but rarely make it past the bar image.

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Well done Kritter, nice report. I have never fancied doing the London Tri at Docklands.

Mikasa, I am in the Surrey Hills so about and hour and a bit from you. There are quite a few races down that way. I used to like the Great South Run but its too big now and the queues for parking are horrendous.

• Kritteralways think if you can walk the day after an event must have got thetraining right so double well done, have one at the bar for me. 

Managed 12miles on bike without getting wet today yippee, but one of those see where i am at swim sessions tomorrow so may not be so happy then, image

• Well done Kritter!!  Nice focus there MC whilst on holiday!!

I went for 70 min run that was really a 68 min run image almost ten km but there was a really big gate in my way that google maps didnt see, so turned around and came home! Got showered on but it was nice image

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Well done on not getting wet Emsi! I managed to avoid that on my 'return to running' jog at lunch time. Only 1.8 miles but ankle is fine and showed the near-by routes to a work colleague.

Nice run ButterCup! And well done MC training whilst on hols!

• Ok, so Kritters Oly time should not create any expectations for mine on Sat image Top work chief and cracking report image

nice to see the weather not dampening training spirit. Good to hear ankle holding up Mikasa. Take it steady.

Go on Maths with the holiday training. Most impressed.

I imagine it wasn't that big a gate buttercup, for you are soooo wee! Nice pootle out!

hope the swimming goes ok Emsi.

Well Mr Razor, how the hell did you cope with tapering for Outlaw. I've had two weeks of holding back due to ankle and what is likely plantar fasciitis. I'm so freaked out about it. I know it's the right thing to do but feels wrong. 

I'm doing the Lake Logic Standard on 3rd Aug. The pirate mentality has kicked in to JFDI!!!!!!

• Decided today I was going to have an active rest day (also known as only bike to work day) think I hyperextended my right leg behind the knee when going down the hills last night - it's a bit tweaky when straightened.  That and I got soaked to the bone whilst riding home - go the torrential passing showers image Swim tomorrow and run home if I can talk hubby into biking down and grabbing my swim gear so I can run home!

JFDI - MrsD you will rock the show!!

• I got soaked too last night walking the dog, I kept thinking "I wish I was running in this" Had a swim this morning and cycling home from work in a bit, I think I have a bit of a cold as I've been feeling crap all week and have been coughing a bit of a sweat up today.

great to see everyones training is going well, it gives me motivation, I loved the pre race Pirate moto on another thread (can't remember which one), "good luck, dont be crap" brilliant! and the others "JFDI" nice ones to remember while suffering

Go Mrs D, smash it!

• I liked the 'commit and don't be sh*t' one myself image

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Oh well, OW swim became a pool swim, the M25 was at a crawling pace, so went the other way and to the usual pool. Urgh forgot how horrible it is, but better than nothing.

Good Luck for Saturday Mrs Digger, I am racing on Sunday. Yes I know in the madness of the Surrey Classic bike ride I am escaping (route planned) to do the Concorde Tri near Reading.

• HappychapHappychap ✭✭✭

What time are you in the water on Sunday Steady?

• Aw guys you rock! Cant not smash it now! image

Good luck to you too Steady, can't believe you have to navigate the M25 to swim!

Look after that knee Buttercup, there is much work to be done for next year image 

oh dear JP - man flu? 

So, OW swim done this evening. With wetsuit and a smidgen sans wetsuit. Was most pleasant. I think I'm almost looking forward to Sat!

• Great report Kritter! Congrats image

Mrs D - we are cheering you on image

5 mile forest run with my Big Girl this eve. 1 min faster than last week. It won't be long and she will be out pacing me over that distance too. She's 11 and so far I haven't let her run further than 5 miles, any thoughts of when I should let her increase her distance?

• SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭

Happychap, 9.50am kick off for me, but aim to be there early, not taking any chances with the possible traffic chaos. Note to self to look up the route. I am planning on wearing my usual purple trisuit, but may put on my pirate cycle jersey if its cool for the bike and will wear pirate hat for the run.

Mrs Digger, I go 2 junctions along for speed at the weekends, but otherwise its a wiggle across country that takes ages, and if the traffic is bad I just avoid at all costs as the A roads get clogged up with vehicles. It is called the London Orbital Car Park for a good reason in the rush hour.

Chili, I would keep  Big Girl at a maximum of 5 miles for a while yet.